computers / news.software.nntp / Re: old posts??

SubjectAuthor
* old posts??jdanield
+* Re: old posts??Adam H. Kerman
|`* Re: old posts??Russ Allbery
| +* Re: old posts??Grant Taylor
| |`- Re: old posts??Russ Allbery
| +* Re: old posts??Thomas Hochstein
| |+- Re: old posts??Grant Taylor
| |`- Re: old posts??Russ Allbery
| `- Re: old posts??Adam H. Kerman
`* Re: old posts??Thomas Hochstein
 `- Re: old posts??Russ Allbery

1
old posts??

<srecgg$pvr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=451&group=news.software.nntp#451

From: jdd...@dodin.org (jdanield)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: old posts??
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 11:13:35 +0100
 by: jdanield - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 10:13 UTC

since yesterday, I get on eternal-september a lot of sometime very old
posts, for example this one from 2013:

not a big deal, but what happen?

(not my server, I don't feed the big8)

also in source:

<krj2c7$mao$1@speranza.aioe.org>

jdd

Re: old posts??

<srf33n$db9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=453&group=news.software.nntp#453

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: old posts??
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:39:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:39 UTC

jdanield <jdd@dodin.org> wrote:

>since yesterday, I get on eternal-september a lot of sometime very old
>posts,

There is a thread in eternal-september.support discussing this very
issue. The old articles are being re-injected through news.freedyn.de.

The Message-IDs weren't changed so I'm not sure why they re-appeared.

>for example this one from 2013:

>not a big deal, but what happen?

>(not my server, I don't feed the big8)

>also in source:

><krj2c7$mao$1@speranza.aioe.org>

Re: old posts??

<87ee5glsm2.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=454&group=news.software.nntp#454

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 09:35:33 -0800
 by: Russ Allbery - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:35 UTC

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

> There is a thread in eternal-september.support discussing this very
> issue. The old articles are being re-injected through news.freedyn.de.

> The Message-IDs weren't changed so I'm not sure why they re-appeared.

Highly unlikely that anyone keeps a history database going back to 2013,
so to reject articles that old, Usenet relies on the Date (or
Injection-Date) header. That means that if the reinjector rewrites the
Date header, there's not a lot that one can do.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: old posts??

<srf9to$q8k$2@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=456&group=news.software.nntp#456

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 11:35:38 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:35 UTC

On 1/9/22 10:35 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Highly unlikely that anyone keeps a history database going back
> to 2013, so to reject articles that old, Usenet relies on the Date
> (or Injection-Date) header.

Yep.

> That means that if the reinjector rewrites the Date header, there's
> not a lot that one can do.

Is the poster rewriting the Date header?

Or is this a new news-admin trying to backfill their news server and
accidentally leaking messages to a peer that isn't filtering them like
they should be?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: old posts??

<nsn.20220109193511.129@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=458&group=news.software.nntp#458

From: thh...@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 19:35:13 +0100
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:35 UTC

jdanield schrieb:

> not a big deal, but what happen?

news.freedyn.de re-feedet old postings from a backup system to a (new)
live server; probably due to a misconfiguration they were prpagated to
its peers (and mostly dropped due to their age).

Most probably due to another misconfiguration on eternal-september.org
[1] those dupes were not rejected, but accepted, shown to readers and
propagated to peers. [2]

Both admins have been notified; postings should have stopped today at
about 13.40 CET.

Regards,
-thh

[1] Speculating: artcutoff has could have been set to 0 (disabling the
rejection of old postings) to re-feed old postings after a crash or
server migration, and someone forgot to undo that change afterwards.

[2] Starting on Jan 6th at about midnight CET. I peer with both servers
and have - according to my logs - rejected about 1.000 Postings, 137
directly from freedyn.de and 866 from eternal-september.

Re: old posts??

<nsn.20220109193714.130@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=459&group=news.software.nntp#459

From: thh...@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 19:37:16 +0100
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:37 UTC

Russ Allbery schrieb:

> Highly unlikely that anyone keeps a history database going back to 2013,

In low-traffic moderated groups we got postings back to about 2007,
according to the Message-IDs (I don't have the postings).

> so to reject articles that old, Usenet relies on the Date (or
> Injection-Date) header. That means that if the reinjector rewrites the
> Date header, there's not a lot that one can do.

The Date: header has not been rewritten, so INN schould have rejected
those postings (and it has, here).

-thh

Re: old posts??

<srfc1u$jjq$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=460&group=news.software.nntp#460

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 12:11:59 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 19:11 UTC

On 1/9/22 11:37 AM, Thomas Hochstein wrote:
> The Date: header has not been rewritten, so INN schould have rejected
> those postings (and it has, here).

Thank you for confirmation of the lack of modification and that INN's
default artcutoff should have filtered these.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: old posts??

<874k6clmnm.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=461&group=news.software.nntp#461

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 11:44:13 -0800
 by: Russ Allbery - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 19:44 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:
> On 1/9/22 10:35 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> That means that if the reinjector rewrites the Date header, there's not
>> a lot that one can do.

> Is the poster rewriting the Date header?

> Or is this a new news-admin trying to backfill their news server and
> accidentally leaking messages to a peer that isn't filtering them like
> they should be?

I would be very, very surprised if eternal-september isn't filtering on
the Date header. (That filtering happens at every hop except for
old-school transit-only servers like Cyclone.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: old posts??

<87zgo4k80p.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=462&group=news.software.nntp#462

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 11:45:42 -0800
 by: Russ Allbery - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 19:45 UTC

Thomas Hochstein <thh@thh.name> writes:
> Russ Allbery schrieb:

>> Highly unlikely that anyone keeps a history database going back to 2013,

> In low-traffic moderated groups we got postings back to about 2007,
> according to the Message-IDs (I don't have the postings).

Right you keep entries for the articles still in the spool, but no one is
going to keep a record of all the rejected or expired articles for that
long. Normal settings are between 7 and 30 days.

> The Date: header has not been rewritten, so INN schould have rejected
> those postings (and it has, here).

That's very weird, then. Is there an Injection-Date header?

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: old posts??

<87v8ysk7zu.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=463&group=news.software.nntp#463

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 11:46:13 -0800
 by: Russ Allbery - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 19:46 UTC

Thomas Hochstein <thh@thh.name> writes:

> [1] Speculating: artcutoff has could have been set to 0 (disabling the
> rejection of old postings) to re-feed old postings after a crash or
> server migration, and someone forgot to undo that change afterwards.

Oh, good call, I should have read the whole thread first.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: old posts??

<srfmff$1qh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=465&group=news.software.nntp#465

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:09:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:09 UTC

Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

>>There is a thread in eternal-september.support discussing this very
>>issue. The old articles are being re-injected through news.freedyn.de.

>>The Message-IDs weren't changed so I'm not sure why they re-appeared.

>Highly unlikely that anyone keeps a history database going back to 2013,

Fair enough but some of the articles were from 2020 and 2021.

As I noted elsewhere, the re-injected articles thread due to an intact
References header, so I can walk back or forth in the thread tree if the
other not re-injected articles in the thread weren't expired. It's like
the re-injected articles superseded the unexpired original articles.