Multics is security spelled sideways.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Bookmarks in Firefox

SubjectAuthor
* Bookmarks in FirefoxRene Lamontagne
+* Re: Bookmarks in Firefoxnospam
|`* Re: Bookmarks in FirefoxRene Lamontagne
| +* Re: Bookmarks in FirefoxEd Cryer
| |`* Re: Bookmarks in FirefoxJ. P. Gilliver (John)
| | +* Re: Bookmarks in FirefoxTeddy-Bears
| | |`- Re: Bookmarks in FirefoxTeddy-Bears
| | `- Re: Bookmarks in Firefoxwasbit
| `- Re: Bookmarks in FirefoxTeddy-Bears
`- Re: Bookmarks in FirefoxTeddy-Bears

1
Bookmarks in Firefox

<ijho4bFhofuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46557&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46557

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Bookmarks in Firefox
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:41:30 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:41 UTC

A while ago, seeing Internet explorer is being sorta orphaned, I decided
to import my fairly well organized and large bookmark collection into
Firefox.

I also have a fairly large collection gathered with Firefox, Well now
they are all jumbled up in one huge mess and I am having a hard time
finding the one I want, Most of the IE ones are in foders, the Firefox
ones are mostly individual sites.

Is there by chance a piece of software out there that would allow me to
import the whole "places.sqlite folder and sort it all out offline from
Firefox?

Then I could also edit, rename or delete unwanted bookmarks, I have
tried doing it in Firefox but find it slow, awkward and tedious. I would
like to get this done before I get too old. :-)

Any and all help appreciated.

Rene

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<230620211758452473%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46558&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46558

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Bookmarks in Firefox
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 17:58:45 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:58 UTC

In article <ijho4bFhofuU1@mid.individual.net>, Rene Lamontagne
<rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> A while ago, seeing Internet explorer is being sorta orphaned, I decided
> to import my fairly well organized and large bookmark collection into
> Firefox.
>
> I also have a fairly large collection gathered with Firefox, Well now
> they are all jumbled up in one huge mess and I am having a hard time
> finding the one I want, Most of the IE ones are in foders, the Firefox
> ones are mostly individual sites.
>
> Is there by chance a piece of software out there that would allow me to
> import the whole "places.sqlite folder and sort it all out offline from
> Firefox?
>
> Then I could also edit, rename or delete unwanted bookmarks, I have
> tried doing it in Firefox but find it slow, awkward and tedious. I would
> like to get this done before I get too old. :-)
>
> Any and all help appreciated.

what you want is a bookmark manager.

there are a *lot* of them, and the choice of which one to use is mostly
subjective, although there will be some feature differences.

this site claims to list 'every bookmark manager ever made':
<https://bookmarkos.com/every-bookmark-manager-ever-made/>

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<ijhtcvFilukU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46559&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46559

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 18:11:28 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:11 UTC

On 2021-06-23 4:58 p.m., nospam wrote:
> In article <ijho4bFhofuU1@mid.individual.net>, Rene Lamontagne
> <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> A while ago, seeing Internet explorer is being sorta orphaned, I decided
>> to import my fairly well organized and large bookmark collection into
>> Firefox.
>>
>> I also have a fairly large collection gathered with Firefox, Well now
>> they are all jumbled up in one huge mess and I am having a hard time
>> finding the one I want, Most of the IE ones are in foders, the Firefox
>> ones are mostly individual sites.
>>
>> Is there by chance a piece of software out there that would allow me to
>> import the whole "places.sqlite folder and sort it all out offline from
>> Firefox?
>>
>> Then I could also edit, rename or delete unwanted bookmarks, I have
>> tried doing it in Firefox but find it slow, awkward and tedious. I would
>> like to get this done before I get too old. :-)
>>
>> Any and all help appreciated.
>
> what you want is a bookmark manager.
>
> there are a *lot* of them, and the choice of which one to use is mostly
> subjective, although there will be some feature differences.
>
> this site claims to list 'every bookmark manager ever made':
> <https://bookmarkos.com/every-bookmark-manager-ever-made/>

Yeah, that's what I need, A bookmark manager, So logical, why didn't I
think off that, I musta had a neural short circuit

Now I will look them over and try some and see if I can find the one
that fits me

Thanks for the heads up.

Rene

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<sb1n6q$8pf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46563&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46563

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:35:14 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 10:35 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-23 4:58 p.m., nospam wrote:
>> In article <ijho4bFhofuU1@mid.individual.net>, Rene Lamontagne
>> <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> A while ago, seeing Internet explorer is being sorta orphaned, I decided
>>> to import my fairly well organized and large bookmark collection into
>>> Firefox.
>>>
>>> I also have a fairly large collection gathered with Firefox, Well now
>>> they are all jumbled up in one huge mess and I am having a hard time
>>> finding the one I want, Most of the IE ones are in foders, the Firefox
>>> ones are mostly individual sites.
>>>
>>> Is there by chance a piece of software out there that would allow me to
>>> import the whole "places.sqlite folder and sort it all out offline from
>>> Firefox?
>>>
>>> Then I could also edit, rename or delete unwanted bookmarks, I have
>>> tried doing it in Firefox but find it slow, awkward and tedious. I would
>>> like to get this done before I get too old.  :-)
>>>
>>> Any and all help appreciated.
>>
>> what you want is a bookmark manager.
>>
>> there are a *lot* of them, and the choice of which one to use is mostly
>> subjective, although there will be some feature differences.
>>
>> this site claims to list 'every bookmark manager ever made':
>> <https://bookmarkos.com/every-bookmark-manager-ever-made/>
>>

> Yeah, that's what I need, A bookmark manager, So logical, why didn't I
> think off that, I musta had a neural short circuit
>
> Now  I will look them over  and try some and see if I can find the one
> that fits me
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> Rene

You'll probably have quite a few defunct addresses in your list. This
no-fuss little program sorts them out quickly;
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/AMDeadLink.shtml

Ed

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<sb1ssn$e9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46565&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46565

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 08:13:09 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:13 UTC

On 6/23/21 7:11 PM, this is what Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-23 4:58 p.m., nospam wrote:
>> In article <ijho4bFhofuU1@mid.individual.net>, Rene Lamontagne
>> <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> A while ago, seeing Internet explorer is being sorta orphaned, I decided
>>> to import my fairly well organized and large bookmark collection into
>>> Firefox.
>>>
>>> I also have a fairly large collection gathered with Firefox, Well now
>>> they are all jumbled up in one huge mess and I am having a hard time
>>> finding the one I want, Most of the IE ones are in foders, the Firefox
>>> ones are mostly individual sites.
>>>
>>> Is there by chance a piece of software out there that would allow me to
>>> import the whole "places.sqlite folder and sort it all out offline from
>>> Firefox?
>>>
>>> Then I could also edit, rename or delete unwanted bookmarks, I have
>>> tried doing it in Firefox but find it slow, awkward and tedious. I would
>>> like to get this done before I get too old.  :-)
>>>
>>> Any and all help appreciated.
>>
>> what you want is a bookmark manager.
>>
>> there are a *lot* of them, and the choice of which one to use is mostly
>> subjective, although there will be some feature differences.
>>
>> this site claims to list 'every bookmark manager ever made':
>> <https://bookmarkos.com/every-bookmark-manager-ever-made/>
>>

> Yeah, that's what I need, A bookmark manager, So logical, why didn't I think off that, I musta had a neural short circuit
>
> Now  I will look them over  and try some and see if I can find the one that fits me
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> Rene
You can also set Firefox to export an HTML file at shutdown (exiting firefox). It will save bookmarks.html an editable file. I'm not sure
but won't firefox allow you to import html files? Meaning you could edit the html, purge your bookmarks in Firefox and then import your
corrected html file?
browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML = true in about:config

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<sb1u0v$kjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46566&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46566

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 08:32:31 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:32 UTC

On 6/23/21 5:41 PM, this is what Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> A while ago, seeing Internet explorer is being sorta orphaned, I decided to import my fairly well organized and large bookmark collection
> into Firefox.
>
> I also have a fairly large collection gathered with Firefox, Well now they are all jumbled up in one huge mess and I am having a hard time
> finding the one I want, Most of the IE ones are in foders, the Firefox ones are mostly individual sites.
>
> Is there by chance a piece of software out there that would allow me to import the whole "places.sqlite folder and sort it all out offline
> from Firefox?
>
> Then I could also edit, rename or delete unwanted bookmarks, I have tried doing it in Firefox but find it slow, awkward and tedious. I would
> like to get this done before I get too old.  :-)
>
> Any and all help appreciated.
>
> Rene

What's wrong with the bookmark manager that's in Firefox now? The full manager, not sidebar or whatever, I think it's called library.
Cntrl-Shift-O

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<cqqnxMNY5I1gFwyQ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46569&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46569

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:53:28 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:53 UTC

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 at 11:35:14, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>You'll probably have quite a few defunct addresses in your list. This
>no-fuss little program sorts them out quickly;
>https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/AMDeadLink.shtml
>
>Ed

Wow, blast from the past - I haven't downloaded that since 2003! Glad to
see it's still going - the above says it runs on 32/64 bit XP, Vista, 7,
8, and 10, and the homepage (https://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm)
confirms it is Freeware.

Still seems to work well too!

Who can refute a sneer? - Archdeacon Paley, in his book Moral Philosophy

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<sb2b8b$lk2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46571&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46571

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:18:19 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:18 UTC

On 6/24/21 9:53 AM, this is what J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 at 11:35:14, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>> You'll probably have quite a few defunct addresses in your list. This no-fuss little program sorts them out quickly;
>> https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/AMDeadLink.shtml
>>
>> Ed
>>
> Wow, blast from the past - I haven't downloaded that since 2003! Glad to see it's still going - the above says it runs on 32/64 bit XP,
> Vista, 7, 8, and 10, and the homepage (https://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm) confirms it is Freeware.
>
> Still seems to work well too!
The add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bookmarks-organizer/ does pretty much the same as AMdeadlinks. I use to have it
too but don't really want to fuss with Windows program in my Linux. The above add-on does unfortunately give false negatives, like almost
every google bookmark (drive.google.com, shopping.google.com etc).

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<sb2nfh$v9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46575&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46575

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:46:55 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:46 UTC

On 6/24/21 12:18 PM, this is what Teddy-Bears wrote:
> On 6/24/21 9:53 AM, this is what J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 at 11:35:14, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> []
>>> You'll probably have quite a few defunct addresses in your list. This no-fuss little program sorts them out quickly;
>>> https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/AMDeadLink.shtml
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>
>> Wow, blast from the past - I haven't downloaded that since 2003! Glad to see it's still going - the above says it runs on 32/64 bit XP,
>> Vista, 7, 8, and 10, and the homepage (https://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm) confirms it is Freeware.
>>
>> Still seems to work well too!
> The add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bookmarks-organizer/ does pretty much the same as AMdeadlinks.  I use to have it
> too but don't really want to fuss with Windows program in my Linux.  The above add-on does unfortunately give false negatives, like almost
> every google bookmark (drive.google.com, shopping.google.com etc).

I tried deadlinks. Had to. Was fun to run that old program but I realized I quit using it once they could not edit Firefox bookmarks
directly. And to my surprise it give about as many false negatives as the add-on. https://www.ihop.com/en restaurant forbidden?!!

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: Bookmarks in Firefox

<sb44lb$9pv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46609&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46609

From: wasbitre...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:37:59 +0100
 by: wasbit - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 08:37 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 at 11:35:14, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
> (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>>You'll probably have quite a few defunct addresses in your list. This
>>no-fuss little program sorts them out quickly;
>>https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/AMDeadLink.shtml
>>
>>Ed
>>
> Wow, blast from the past - I haven't downloaded that since 2003! Glad to
> see it's still going - the above says it runs on 32/64 bit XP, Vista, 7,
> 8, and 10, and the homepage (https://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm) confirms
> it is Freeware.
>
> Still seems to work well too!

It does. I still use it when I update my freeware lists.

Box.net - http://www.box.net/wasbitlists
Python Anywhere - https://wasbit.pythonanywhere.com

--
Regards