Wait! You have not been prepared! -- Mr. Atoz, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate 3113.2

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

SubjectAuthor
* OT Macrium reflect 8Rene Lamontagne
+- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Fokke Nauta
+* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Frank Slootweg
|`* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Rene Lamontagne
| `* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Dex
|  +- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Ant
|  `* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Frank Slootweg
|   `* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8J. P. Gilliver (John)
|    +* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Rene Lamontagne
|    |+* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Charlie+
|    ||+* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Paul
|    |||`- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Charlie+
|    ||+- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Frank Slootweg
|    ||`* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Frank Slootweg
|    || `* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Charlie+
|    ||  `* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8J. P. Gilliver (John)
|    ||   `- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Charlie+
|    |`- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Sailfish
|    +* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Frank Slootweg
|    |`- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Rene Lamontagne
|    `* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8occam
|     `- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Ant
+- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8Snowshed.
`* Re: OT Macrium reflect 8occam
 `- Re: OT Macrium reflect 8...w¡ñ§±¤n

1
OT Macrium reflect 8

<ij6ihsFd81rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46404&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46404

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT Macrium reflect 8
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:58:53 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 15:58 UTC

Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
This morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
version?

Rene

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<ij6np3Fe7rcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46409&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46409

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: OT Macrium reflect 8
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 19:27:29 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 17:27 UTC

On 19/06/2021 17:58, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
> This  morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
> complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
> yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
> version?
>
> Rene

No.
I use Macrium Reflect free, 7.3.5925. I have seen an advertisement for
version 8, but no further explanations.

Fokke Nauta

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<sallqd.em0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46416&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46416

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 19 Jun 2021 18:59:07 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 18:59 UTC

Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
> This morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
> complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
> yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
> version?

I just looked on the Macrium site and via a link to and in a tweet, I
saw this:

'Macrium Reflect 8: Whats new and why?' (of May 20)
<https://blog.macrium.com/macrium-reflect-8-whats-new-and-why-bfda50595912>

That blog also refers to a very, very detailed Macrium Reflect
Knowledge Base page about Reflect 8:

<https://knowledgebase.macrium.com>

So that should keep you busy for a while! :-)

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<ij6tf7Ff8shU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46417&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46417

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:05:13 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 19:05 UTC

On 2021-06-19 1:59 p.m., Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
>> This morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
>> complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
>> yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
>> version?
>
> I just looked on the Macrium site and via a link to and in a tweet, I
> saw this:
>
> 'Macrium Reflect 8: Whats new and why?' (of May 20)
> <https://blog.macrium.com/macrium-reflect-8-whats-new-and-why-bfda50595912>
>
> That blog also refers to a very, very detailed Macrium Reflect
> Knowledge Base page about Reflect 8:
>
> <https://knowledgebase.macrium.com>
>
> So that should keep you busy for a while! :-)

Thanks frank, I shall do my due diligence and read those articles before
I even think of using it.

Rene

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<salh46$kre$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46420&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46420

From: vai...@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 20:38:47 +0100
 by: Dex - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 19:38 UTC

On 19/06/2021 20:05, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-19 1:59 p.m., Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
>>> This morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
>>> complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
>>> yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
>>> version?
>>
>> I just looked on the Macrium site and via a link to and in a tweet, I
>> saw this:
>>
>> 'Macrium Reflect 8: Whats new and why?' (of May 20)
>> <https://blog.macrium.com/macrium-reflect-8-whats-new-and-why-bfda50595912>
>>

>> That blog also refers to a very, very detailed Macrium Reflect
>> Knowledge Base page about Reflect 8:
>>
>> <https://knowledgebase.macrium.com>
>>
>> So that should keep you busy for a while! :-)
>>

> Thanks frank, I shall do my due diligence and read those articles before
> I even think of using it.
>
> Rene

Was it the free or paid version?

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<OfadnZdks_jeJ1P9nZ2dnUU7-VednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46430&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46430

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 22:47:15 -0500
 by: Ant - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 03:47 UTC

Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:

> Was it the free or paid version?

Last I heard, there's no free version yet. Also, Macrium seems to release many updates so I am going to wait! V7 had so many dang updates!
--
Juneteenth! Dang weather (hot and unexpected rain), colony, new PC and job (quit after eight work days though), life, works, elevated blood pressure, etc. :(
| |o o| |

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<sanghp.fl8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46441&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46441

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 20 Jun 2021 11:41:28 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:41 UTC

Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:
> On 19/06/2021 20:05, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> >>
> >> I just looked on the Macrium site and via a link to and in a tweet, I
> >> saw this:
> >>
> >> 'Macrium Reflect 8: Whats new and why?' (of May 20)
> >> <https://blog.macrium.com/macrium-reflect-8-whats-new-and-why-bfda50595912>
> >>

> >> That blog also refers to a very, very detailed Macrium Reflect
> >> Knowledge Base page about Reflect 8:
> >>
> >> <https://knowledgebase.macrium.com>
> >>
> >> So that should keep you busy for a while! :-)
> >>

> > Thanks frank, I shall do my due diligence and read those articles before
> > I even think of using it.
> >
> > Rene
> >

> Was it the free or paid version?

The Reflect Free webpage still mentions Reflect 7 as being Free. But
that might change. AFAIR, the same happened with earlier versions, i.e.
the Free version lagging a bit behind the paid version(s).

'Macrium Software Reflect Free'
<https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo>
"Backup at Home
Reflect 7 Free"

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<XkeFyBGTB0zgFwCS@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46448&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46448

Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 14:19:15 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:19 UTC

(7 and XP added, though I'm not sure whether Macrium 8 will run there.)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 11:41:28, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:

>> > Thanks frank, I shall do my due diligence and read those articles before
>> > I even think of using it.
>> >
>> > Rene
>> >

>> Was it the free or paid version?
>
> The Reflect Free webpage still mentions Reflect 7 as being Free. But
>that might change. AFAIR, the same happened with earlier versions, i.e.
>the Free version lagging a bit behind the paid version(s).
>
>'Macrium Software Reflect Free'
><https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo>

(What does the "?mo" on the do?)

>"Backup at Home
> Reflect 7 Free"

It says "Before you jump straight to the free option, why not check out
Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal way to
explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for whatever
reason you decide it isn’t right for you, any backups you create
during the trial will still be accessible as the software reverts to
Reflect Free 8. Risk free backup software that just works!", so although
there's no "Free 8" link as such, it looks as if the 30-day trial
reverts to "Reflect Free 8" when it runs out, rather than stopping
altogether.

Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to
be doing at the moment. -Robert Benchley, humorist, drama critic, and actor
(1889-1945)

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<ij977rFsitbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46457&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46457

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:04:11 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 16:04 UTC

On 2021-06-20 8:19 a.m., J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> (7 and XP added, though I'm not sure whether Macrium 8 will run there.)
>
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 11:41:28, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:
>>> here,
>>> install it
>>> this new

>>> tweet, I

>>> before

>>> Was it the free or paid version?
>>
>>  The Reflect Free webpage still mentions Reflect 7 as being Free. But
>> that might change. AFAIR, the same happened with earlier versions, i.e.
>> the Free version lagging a bit behind the paid version(s).
>>
>> 'Macrium Software Reflect Free'
>> <https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo>
>
> (What does the "?mo" on the do?)
>
>> "Backup at Home
>> Reflect 7 Free"
>
> It says "Before you jump straight to the free option, why not check out
> Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal way to
> explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for whatever
> reason you decide it isn’t right for you, any backups you create during
> the trial will still be accessible as the software reverts to Reflect
> Free 8. Risk free backup software that just works!", so although there's
> no "Free 8" link as such, it looks as if the 30-day trial reverts to
> "Reflect Free 8" when it runs out, rather than stopping altogether.

OK, didn't have much luck on there site for a free version 8.0,kept
downloading V7 so I did some searching and found what I wanted at.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/

Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .

So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.

Rene

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<sao5dc.d0k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46461&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46461

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: 20 Jun 2021 17:37:31 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 17:37 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> (7 and XP added, though I'm not sure whether Macrium 8 will run there.)
>
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 11:41:28, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> >Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:

> >> Was it the free or paid version?
> >
> > The Reflect Free webpage still mentions Reflect 7 as being Free. But
> >that might change. AFAIR, the same happened with earlier versions, i.e.
> >the Free version lagging a bit behind the paid version(s).
> >
> >'Macrium Software Reflect Free'
> ><https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo>
>
> (What does the "?mo" on the do?)

I don't know. It was on the 'Reflect Free' link under 'Products' ->
'Personal' on their home page (www.macrium.com, redirects to
<https://www.macrium.com/home-8>).

I tried it without the "?mo" and it seemed to give the same result,
but because I didn't want to break anything, I posted the URL as I found
it in their link.

> >"Backup at Home
> > Reflect 7 Free"
>
> It says "Before you jump straight to the free option, why not check out
> Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal way to
> explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for whatever
> reason you decide it isn?t right for you, any backups you create
> during the trial will still be accessible as the software reverts to
> Reflect Free 8. Risk free backup software that just works!", so although
> there's no "Free 8" link as such, it looks as if the 30-day trial
> reverts to "Reflect Free 8" when it runs out, rather than stopping
> altogether.

Interesting. Thanks. I think I'll stick to 7 for a bit, but it's nice
to know/have options.

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<ij9gccFuar9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46466&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46466

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 13:40:12 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 18:40 UTC

On 2021-06-20 12:37 p.m., Frank Slootweg wrote:
> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> (7 and XP added, though I'm not sure whether Macrium 8 will run there.)
>>
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 11:41:28, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):

>>> The Reflect Free webpage still mentions Reflect 7 as being Free. But
>>> that might change. AFAIR, the same happened with earlier versions, i.e.
>>> the Free version lagging a bit behind the paid version(s).
>>>
>>> 'Macrium Software Reflect Free'
>>> <https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo>
>>
>> (What does the "?mo" on the do?)
>
> I don't know. It was on the 'Reflect Free' link under 'Products' ->
> 'Personal' on their home page (www.macrium.com, redirects to
> <https://www.macrium.com/home-8>).
>
> I tried it without the "?mo" and it seemed to give the same result,
> but because I didn't want to break anything, I posted the URL as I found
> it in their link.
>
>>> "Backup at Home
>>> Reflect 7 Free"
>>
>> It says "Before you jump straight to the free option, why not check out
>> Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal way to
>> explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for whatever
>> reason you decide it isn?t right for you, any backups you create
>> during the trial will still be accessible as the software reverts to
>> Reflect Free 8. Risk free backup software that just works!", so although
>> there's no "Free 8" link as such, it looks as if the 30-day trial
>> reverts to "Reflect Free 8" when it runs out, rather than stopping
>> altogether.
>
> Interesting. Thanks. I think I'll stick to 7 for a bit, but it's nice
> to know/have options.

Me Too, after installing ver 8 on a different drive I found that there
is too much interaction between the two, If i specify a destination in 8
it changes it in 7 also, whatever I do in one version seems to be
mirrored in the other.
So I have said before running 2 versions of the same program is a piss
poor idea.
So I uninstalled ver 8 and will stick to ver 7 until 8 is a solid
replacement for it.
I'm not ready to leave 7 yet.

Rene

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<hpb0dglthm545cn2kesoaf4i9d71v20cg5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46478&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46478

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 07:31:54 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 06:31 UTC

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:04:11 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote as underneath :

snip

>Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
>a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .
>
>So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.
>
>Rene

Thanks, I would be interested to know if V8.nnn can now manage a backup
of a USB connected SD card .. up to V7.nnn cant do it (such a drive just
does not appear in the list for backup).
Acronis can do it but that is not free. C+

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<sapvv0$1li$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46481&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46481

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 08:16:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 12:16 UTC

Charlie+ wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:04:11 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> wrote as underneath :
>
> snip
>
>> Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
>> a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .
>>
>> So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.
>>
>> Rene
>
> Thanks, I would be interested to know if V8.nnn can now manage a backup
> of a USB connected SD card .. up to V7.nnn cant do it (such a drive just
> does not appear in the list for backup).
> Acronis can do it but that is not free. C+

Windows 10 is supposed to mount more than one
partition on a USB connected flash device, so
at least the platform now "helps a little bit".
But whether that largess extends to the RMB bit
is another matter. If the device is marked as
"removable media", there might be an assumption
it is optical media.

The backup tools tend to use VSS, and does VSS willingly
work on a removable media partition ? Macrium is supposed
to have PSSNAP as an alternative to VSS. I don't think it
would freeze regular file systems (PSSNAP on a hot C: probably
would not work), but maybe PSSNAP of an SD would ???

I don't think the platform, is particularly "stacked"
to make this a possibility. At the best of times, it's
going to involve faffing about.

You can distort what the OS sees, with filter drivers,
and there is at least one hack for changing the RMB bit.
This is hardly hygienic.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html

"...hitachi filter driver"

http://woshub.com/removable-usb-flash-drive-as-local-disk-in-windows-7/

One way to make a backup would be

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

In the reverse direction, in Windows 10 at least, you can right click
the VHD file and select "Mount". On Windows XP, you could use
"vhdmount" from Ben Armstrong at MSFT (don't know if download
is still offered directly). And you might use OSFMount, as another
way of mounting a file system and then copy the files back if you
wanted to restore. Using a VHD file, only the occupied clusters
are backed up and the white space is not copied. This means
"Deleted files cannot be undeleted" once such a backup is made.
Their clusters are not captured.

You could also use "dd.exe" to make a sector by sector copy,
but that isn't exactly convenient later. Then you have to go
through the sparse matrix of container support, to convert
a raw .img from dd.exe into a VHD or whatever. It's possible
7ZIP can open a .img and offer to "Extract" the files it finds,
and you could then point it at your SD for restoral.

Not ever. We can be thanking the RMB bit for this.

Paul

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<ijdir2FnijsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46500&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46500

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:46:42 +0200
 by: occam - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:46 UTC

On 20/06/2021 15:19, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> It says "Before you jump straight to the free option, why not check out
> Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal way to
> explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for whatever
> reason you decide it isn’t right for you, any backups you create during
> the trial will still be accessible as the software reverts to Reflect
> Free 8. Risk free backup software that just works!", so although there's
> no "Free 8" link as such, it looks as if the 30-day trial reverts to
> "Reflect Free 8" when it runs out, rather than stopping altogether.

Now Freeware (version 8.0.5994) available from MajorGeeks

<https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<EM2dnY_w9YJT1U_9nZ2dnUU7-f-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46532&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46532

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:32:14 -0500
 by: Ant - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:32 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10 occam <nobody@nowhere.nix> wrote:
> On 20/06/2021 15:19, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> > It says "Before you jump straight to the free option, why not check out
> > Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal way to
> > explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for whatever
> > reason you decide it isn???t right for you, any backups you create during
> > the trial will still be accessible as the software reverts to Reflect
> > Free 8. Risk free backup software that just works!", so although there's
> > no "Free 8" link as such, it looks as if the 30-day trial reverts to
> > "Reflect Free 8" when it runs out, rather than stopping altogether.

> Now Freeware (version 8.0.5994) available from MajorGeeks

> <https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>

Not on its onn official web site? Eh?
--
Back to work again, oh wait... Go L.A. Clippers! :P
| |o o| |

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<j7j5dghr0tmoe4upf4go3qd2f291kh2abv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46549&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46549

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 07:07:56 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 06:07 UTC

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 08:16:32 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote
as underneath :

>Charlie+ wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:04:11 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
>> wrote as underneath :
>>
>> snip
>>
>>> Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
>>> a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .
>>>
>>> So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>> Thanks, I would be interested to know if V8.nnn can now manage a backup
>> of a USB connected SD card .. up to V7.nnn cant do it (such a drive just
>> does not appear in the list for backup).
>> Acronis can do it but that is not free. C+
>
>Windows 10 is supposed to mount more than one
>partition on a USB connected flash device, so
>at least the platform now "helps a little bit".
>But whether that largess extends to the RMB bit
>is another matter. If the device is marked as
>"removable media", there might be an assumption
>it is optical media.
>
>The backup tools tend to use VSS, and does VSS willingly
>work on a removable media partition ? Macrium is supposed
>to have PSSNAP as an alternative to VSS. I don't think it
>would freeze regular file systems (PSSNAP on a hot C: probably
>would not work), but maybe PSSNAP of an SD would ???
>
>I don't think the platform, is particularly "stacked"
>to make this a possibility. At the best of times, it's
>going to involve faffing about.
>
>You can distort what the OS sees, with filter drivers,
>and there is at least one hack for changing the RMB bit.
>This is hardly hygienic.
>
>https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html
>
> "...hitachi filter driver"
>
>http://woshub.com/removable-usb-flash-drive-as-local-disk-in-windows-7/
>
>One way to make a backup would be
>
>https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd
>
>In the reverse direction, in Windows 10 at least, you can right click
>the VHD file and select "Mount". On Windows XP, you could use
>"vhdmount" from Ben Armstrong at MSFT (don't know if download
>is still offered directly). And you might use OSFMount, as another
>way of mounting a file system and then copy the files back if you
>wanted to restore. Using a VHD file, only the occupied clusters
>are backed up and the white space is not copied. This means
>"Deleted files cannot be undeleted" once such a backup is made.
>Their clusters are not captured.
>
>You could also use "dd.exe" to make a sector by sector copy,
>but that isn't exactly convenient later. Then you have to go
>through the sparse matrix of container support, to convert
>a raw .img from dd.exe into a VHD or whatever. It's possible
>7ZIP can open a .img and offer to "Extract" the files it finds,
>and you could then point it at your SD for restoral.

> Not ever. We can be thanking the RMB bit for this.
>
> Paul
Paul thanks taking the time for full info post as usual, - appreciated!
Yes too much faffing -agreed, when another program is already available
that can do the business, even though not with a free ride!
Its not a that often needed use.. C+

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<savi3l$8nj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46550&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46550

From: kcomptu...@q.com (Snowshed.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 08:56:52 -0600
 by: Snowshed. - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 14:56 UTC

On 6/19/21 9:58 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
> This morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
> complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
> yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
> version?

Hi, Rene,

Macrium used to have community forums, if that interests you. Right
after I purchased V7 Pro, I was going to join, but I needed my product
registration key. Too lazy to dig it out at that time, so I never joined.

I still use it on that one machine, and fortunately I've never had to
use it.

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.6

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<savqsl.90c.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46551&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46551

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: 23 Jun 2021 15:30:58 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:30 UTC

Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:04:11 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> wrote as underneath :
>
> snip
>
> >Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
> >a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .
> >
> >So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.
> >
> >Rene
>
> Thanks, I would be interested to know if V8.nnn can now manage a backup
> of a USB connected SD card .. up to V7.nnn cant do it (such a drive just
> does not appear in the list for backup).
> Acronis can do it but that is not free. C+

There are free versions of Acronis True Image which you can
download/use if you have the eligible hardware, for example a Western
Digital hard-disk [1]. I did a quick Google search on "acronis true
image free" and found many references.

Also there is other - than Macrium and Acronis - imaging software, so
maybe one of those is an option. (EaseUS Todo Backup (Free), AOMEI
Backupper, others?)

FWIW, I backup the SD-card which sits in the card-reader of my laptop,
but I just make file-level backup, not image backup.

[1] This seems a handy list (at least as a starting place):
'Free OEM versions of Acronis True Image software'
<https://www.reddit.com/r/acronis/comments/7mr0yi/free_oem_versions_of_acronis_true_image_software/>

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<ijh3q0FdsvdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46553&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46553

From: nob...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 17:54:40 +0200
 by: occam - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:54 UTC

On 19/06/2021 17:58, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
> This  morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
> complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
> yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
> version?

Clearly MajorGeeks does not agree with with 'do not install yet' message.

<https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<savot1$r1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46554&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46554

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 12:52:40 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:52 UTC

occam wrote:
> On 19/06/2021 17:58, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>> Seeing there does not seem to be a Macrium newsgroup I will post here,
>> This  morning I caught an article in the news that Macrium 8 was out
>> complete with a Virtualbox capability, It also said not to install it
>> yet as it was not ready, Anybody see this or any other info on this new
>> version?
>>

> Clearly MajorGeeks does not agree with with 'do not install yet' message.
>
> <https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>

The link also notes:
<qp>
Steps for Free Version:
When running the downloaded file, in the options on the top, change from
the HOME Edition to FREE
Click Options, then choose Download Installer and PE Components
Uncheck Run Installer when downloaded (optional)
After the download is complete, run the setup to install
</qp>

Additionally, the screen shots in the link are for version 7.x, the
previous 'free' version.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<savvvo.808.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46555&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46555

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: 23 Jun 2021 16:54:03 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:54 UTC

Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:04:11 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> wrote as underneath :
>
> snip
>
> >Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
> >a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .
> >
> >So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.
> >
> >Rene
>
> Thanks, I would be interested to know if V8.nnn can now manage a backup
> of a USB connected SD card .. up to V7.nnn cant do it (such a drive just
> does not appear in the list for backup).
> Acronis can do it but that is not free. C+

occam just posted a link to a majorgeeks.com download [1] and one of
the comments on that page says:

"JohnOhan - a month ago
The welcome good news about this new version 8 is that this new version
8 is now capable of imaging USB disks and flash drives.
The previous (older) version 7 did not have this very needed
capability.
I am happy with this new upgrade. I can now backup (imaging) my
valuable flash drives."

A "flash drive" isn't neccessarily the same as a SD-card, but maybe it
can image SD-cards as well.

[1]
<https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<7s68dghc73k5shlu7oc3974pk1e37d1oq4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46562&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46562

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 07:12:31 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:12 UTC

On 23 Jun 2021 16:54:03 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote as underneath :

>Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:04:11 -0500, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca>
>> wrote as underneath :
>>
>> snip
>>
>> >Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
>> >a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .
>> >
>> >So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.
>> >
>> >Rene
>>
>> Thanks, I would be interested to know if V8.nnn can now manage a backup
>> of a USB connected SD card .. up to V7.nnn cant do it (such a drive just
>> does not appear in the list for backup).
>> Acronis can do it but that is not free. C+
>
> occam just posted a link to a majorgeeks.com download [1] and one of
>the comments on that page says:
>
>"JohnOhan - a month ago
> The welcome good news about this new version 8 is that this new version
> 8 is now capable of imaging USB disks and flash drives.
> The previous (older) version 7 did not have this very needed
> capability.
> I am happy with this new upgrade. I can now backup (imaging) my
> valuable flash drives."
>
> A "flash drive" isn't neccessarily the same as a SD-card, but maybe it
>can image SD-cards as well.
>
>[1]
><https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>

Thanks Frank for both your posts to the point! Useful info in both
posts, the new versions of Acronis(paid) wants to check with mom all the
time for registration and god knows what else and gobbles resources so I
was trying to shift completely over to Macrium (7) and then found this
USB quirk (now I'm encouraged to give the Macrium v8 free a try in due
course by your MajorGeeks found comment!). Yes I do have Acronis CDroms
which are effectively free! I have never tried Clonezilla out on USB
sticks/SD card dongles, that might also work. C+

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<uKBrJWM2dI1gFw3m@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46568&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46568

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:24:06 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:24 UTC

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 at 07:12:31, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote (my
>On 23 Jun 2021 16:54:03 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>wrote as underneath :
[]
>>"JohnOhan - a month ago
>> The welcome good news about this new version 8 is that this new version
>> 8 is now capable of imaging USB disks and flash drives.
[]
>> valuable flash drives."
>>
>> A "flash drive" isn't neccessarily the same as a SD-card, but maybe it
>>can image SD-cards as well.
>>
>>[1]
>><https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>
>
>Thanks Frank for both your posts to the point! Useful info in both
>posts, the new versions of Acronis(paid) wants to check with mom all the
>time for registration and god knows what else and gobbles resources so I
>was trying to shift completely over to Macrium (7) and then found this
>USB quirk (now I'm encouraged to give the Macrium v8 free a try in due
>course by your MajorGeeks found comment!). Yes I do have Acronis CDroms
>which are effectively free! I have never tried Clonezilla out on USB
>sticks/SD card dongles, that might also work. C+

Just out of curiosity: why do you _want_ to include your SD card in your
images? I can't think why I would, but we're all different (from "Life
of Brian" - "we're all individuals!" [shouted in unison of course]), and
others obviously wanted it for them to add it. (Unless it's USB sticks
they're talking of.)

Who can refute a sneer? - Archdeacon Paley, in his book Moral Philosophy

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<sb278t$o76$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46570&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46570

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 08:10:19 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:10 UTC

Rene Lamontagne graced us with on 6/20/2021 9:04 AM:
> On 2021-06-20 8:19 a.m., J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> (7 and XP added, though I'm not sure whether Macrium 8 will run there.)
>>
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 11:41:28, Frank Slootweg
>> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote (my responses usually follow points
>> raised):

>>> The Reflect Free webpage still mentions Reflect 7 as being Free. But
>>> that might change. AFAIR, the same happened with earlier versions, i.e.
>>> the Free version lagging a bit behind the paid version(s).
>>>
>>> 'Macrium Software Reflect Free'
>>> <https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo>
>>
>> (What does the "?mo" on the do?)
>>
>>> "Backup at Home
>>> Reflect 7 Free"
>>
>> It says "Before you jump straight to the free option, why not check
>> out Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal
>> way to explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for
>> whatever reason you decide it isn’t right for you, any backups you
>> create during the trial will still be accessible as the software
>> reverts to Reflect Free 8. Risk free backup software that just
>> works!", so although there's no "Free 8" link as such, it looks as if
>> the 30-day trial reverts to "Reflect Free 8" when it runs out, rather
>> than stopping altogether.
>
> OK, didn't have much luck on there site for a free version 8.0,kept
> downloading V7 so I did some searching and found what I wanted at.
>
> https://www.majorgeeks.com/
>
> Macrium Reflect FREE ver 8.0.5963 (UEFI) I d/led and installed it but on
> a different drive so as not to loose ver 7.0.xxxx .
>
> So now I will experiment with it and see what it does and how it behaves.

Looking at their site 'Instant Virtualization for everyone' video for
version 8.0, it depicts a VBox program automatically starting after the
Macrium virtualization completes. Has anyone used this option yet? If
so, does Macrium open it's own instance of VBox or does it expect one to
already have VBox installed and simply schedules it?

Also, any clarification on whether Win7 will be supported and, if so,
whether the 'Windows ReFS support' works on Win7 and, if not, what are
the ramifications of that, if any?

TIA

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: OT Macrium reflect 8

<ed5bdg1iriag1mfujjm8fks95hm6e23h6a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46610&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46610

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
References: <ij6ihsFd81rU1@mid.individual.net> <sallqd.em0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <ij6tf7Ff8shU1@mid.individual.net> <salh46$kre$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sanghp.fl8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <XkeFyBGTB0zgFwCS@255soft.uk> <ij977rFsitbU1@mid.individual.net> <hpb0dglthm545cn2kesoaf4i9d71v20cg5@4ax.com> <savvvo.808.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <7s68dghc73k5shlu7oc3974pk1e37d1oq4@4ax.com> <uKBrJWM2dI1gFw3m@255soft.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:44:55 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 08:44 UTC

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:24:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote as underneath :

>On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 at 07:12:31, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote (my
>>On 23 Jun 2021 16:54:03 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>>wrote as underneath :
>[]
>>>"JohnOhan - a month ago
>>> The welcome good news about this new version 8 is that this new version
>>> 8 is now capable of imaging USB disks and flash drives.
>[]
>>> valuable flash drives."
>>>
>>> A "flash drive" isn't neccessarily the same as a SD-card, but maybe it
>>>can image SD-cards as well.
>>>
>>>[1]
>>><https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html>
>>
>>Thanks Frank for both your posts to the point! Useful info in both
>>posts, the new versions of Acronis(paid) wants to check with mom all the
>>time for registration and god knows what else and gobbles resources so I
>>was trying to shift completely over to Macrium (7) and then found this
>>USB quirk (now I'm encouraged to give the Macrium v8 free a try in due
>>course by your MajorGeeks found comment!). Yes I do have Acronis CDroms
>>which are effectively free! I have never tried Clonezilla out on USB
>>sticks/SD card dongles, that might also work. C+
>
>Just out of curiosity: why do you _want_ to include your SD card in your
>images? I can't think why I would, but we're all different (from "Life
>of Brian" - "we're all individuals!" [shouted in unison of course]), and
>others obviously wanted it for them to add it. (Unless it's USB sticks
>they're talking of.)

I dont use it often but sometimes old uSD cards get slow to read and a
full backup and rewrite over seems to stop the slow rot. C+