Unix soit qui mal y pense [Unix to him who evil thinks?]

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

SubjectAuthor
* How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at theleonard hofstatder
`* Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest leVanguardLH
 `* Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at theFrank
  +- Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters atAllodoxaphobia
  +* Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at theleonard hofstatder
  |`* Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest leBob
  | `* Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at theleonard hofstatder
  |  `- Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at theAlissa Heinerschein
  `- Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at theFrank

1
How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<u2jpih$32bq9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=465&group=alt.online-service.comcast#465

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the
highest level?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:01:39 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 19:01 UTC

or do they not even have any?

Subject:᙭ҒlNlTY Services : Information montly payments,your payments
refused. Please fix your payments now. [ 932182 ]

My Account

Please update your address information

Your monthly service paym̴ent is problem on April 29, 2023

We did not verify your paym̴ent for the next month. Because our
verificat̴ion system cannot verify your paym̴ent Your Credit Card
company refused XҒIN̴ITY paym̴ent verificat̴ion.

Please updates your paym̴ent address information today before 24 hours,
preventing unsubscr̴iption

If you have the XҒIN̴ITY Mobile Protection Plan on your XҒIN̴ITY Mobile
device(s),it will be canceled if your service is on hold. The XҒIN̴ITY
Mobile Protection Plan cannot be reinstated once it's been canceled.

Update Payment Address Information

THIS IS A SERVICE-RELATED EMAIL
Comcast Cable, One Comcast Center
1701 JFK Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 634592
Attn: Email Communications.
www.fvnwrx.com

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<1d33zi8jttdlp.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=466&group=alt.online-service.comcast#466

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 00:18:15 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 05:18 UTC

leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:

> fvnwrx.com

That domain has not yet been registered, so a site cannot be there. No
need to get knickers in a twist for URLs pointing nowhere.

You didn't show any other URLs, but then you didn't show the raw source
of the phish e-mail to check tracing through the Received headers, and
to see whatever other hyperlinks there were in the message.

The phish e-mail wants you to update your address info in your Comcast
account, but you don't show a URL to where the phish e-mail wants to
take you. If there were no hyperlinks in the message, and the only URL
is the unregistered one where no server could reside, it's a worthless
phish e-mail. It isn't trying to lure you to somewhere evil. Since it
is asking for your to update your account info without providing any
hyperlink, you would have to visit your Comcast account. So, maybe it
isn't a phish e-mail.

You claim it is a phish without showing the headers which would divulge
from where the message originated. And you don't show there are any
hyperlinks in the message (which, if present, could point you to
somewhere other than Comcast). You don't prove it is a phish,
especially with such a bad copy-n-paste job.

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<u2or3u$950v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=467&group=alt.online-service.comcast#467

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
highest level?
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 12:58:36 -0400
 by: Frank - Mon, 1 May 2023 16:58 UTC

On 4/30/2023 1:18 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> fvnwrx.com
>
> That domain has not yet been registered, so a site cannot be there. No
> need to get knickers in a twist for URLs pointing nowhere.
>
> You didn't show any other URLs, but then you didn't show the raw source
> of the phish e-mail to check tracing through the Received headers, and
> to see whatever other hyperlinks there were in the message.
>
> The phish e-mail wants you to update your address info in your Comcast
> account, but you don't show a URL to where the phish e-mail wants to
> take you. If there were no hyperlinks in the message, and the only URL
> is the unregistered one where no server could reside, it's a worthless
> phish e-mail. It isn't trying to lure you to somewhere evil. Since it
> is asking for your to update your account info without providing any
> hyperlink, you would have to visit your Comcast account. So, maybe it
> isn't a phish e-mail.
>
> You claim it is a phish without showing the headers which would divulge
> from where the message originated. And you don't show there are any
> hyperlinks in the message (which, if present, could point you to
> somewhere other than Comcast). You don't prove it is a phish,
> especially with such a bad copy-n-paste job.

I tell folks today we are living in a sea of thieves. Most of the email
I get is from them. They must think we are not to bright as an email
that says it is from your bank has a gmail address for the sender.

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<slrnu5020e.205b.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=468&group=alt.online-service.comcast#468

From: trepidat...@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at
the highest level?
Date: 1 May 2023 18:42:22 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Mon, 1 May 2023 18:42 UTC

On Mon, 1 May 2023 12:58:36 -0400, Frank wrote:

> I tell folks today we are living in a sea of thieves. Most of the email
> I get is from them. They must think we are not to bright as an email
> that says it is from your bank has a gmail address for the sender.

Sadly, there _are_ folks that will click on anything.
Sadly, thay are also permitted to breed and vote.

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<u2p7o9$b8bt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=469&group=alt.online-service.comcast#469

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
highest level?
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 15:34:19 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Mon, 1 May 2023 20:34 UTC

On 5/1/2023 11:58 AM, Frank wrote:
> On 4/30/2023 1:18 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> fvnwrx.com
>>
>> That domain has not yet been registered, so a site cannot be there.  No
>> need to get knickers in a twist for URLs pointing nowhere.
>>
>> You didn't show any other URLs, but then you didn't show the raw source
>> of the phish e-mail to check tracing through the Received headers, and
>> to see whatever other hyperlinks there were in the message.
>>
>> The phish e-mail wants you to update your address info in your Comcast
>> account, but you don't show a URL to where the phish e-mail wants to
>> take you.

Regardless, Comcast filtering seems to be non-existent.

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<u2pf5n$cqa2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=470&group=alt.online-service.comcast#470

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
highest level?
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 18:40:55 -0400
 by: Frank - Mon, 1 May 2023 22:40 UTC

On 5/1/2023 12:58 PM, Frank wrote:
> On 4/30/2023 1:18 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> fvnwrx.com
>>
>> That domain has not yet been registered, so a site cannot be there.  No
>> need to get knickers in a twist for URLs pointing nowhere.
>>
>> You didn't show any other URLs, but then you didn't show the raw source
>> of the phish e-mail to check tracing through the Received headers, and
>> to see whatever other hyperlinks there were in the message.
>>
>> The phish e-mail wants you to update your address info in your Comcast
>> account, but you don't show a URL to where the phish e-mail wants to
>> take you.  If there were no hyperlinks in the message, and the only URL
>> is the unregistered one where no server could reside, it's a worthless
>> phish e-mail.  It isn't trying to lure you to somewhere evil.  Since it
>> is asking for your to update your account info without providing any
>> hyperlink, you would have to visit your Comcast account.  So, maybe it
>> isn't a phish e-mail.
>>
>> You claim it is a phish without showing the headers which would divulge
>> from where the message originated.  And you don't show there are any
>> hyperlinks in the message (which, if present, could point you to
>> somewhere other than Comcast).  You don't prove it is a phish,
>> especially with such a bad copy-n-paste job.
>
> I tell folks today we are living in a sea of thieves.  Most of the email
> I get is from them.  They must think we are not to bright as an email
> that says it is from your bank has a gmail address for the sender.

this just showed up telling me to confirm account info:

Customers.problem-payments ( Refers : #922)
<jyrmb-vtvvwruej.fijyzqq@fgwyr.elopsjfg.net>

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<KUWsqcFXazKmWJuNWdWEagsRVMwwUUOr@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=471&group=alt.online-service.comcast#471

Date: Tue, 09 May 23 02:02:29 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
From: bob...@192.168.1.1 (Bob)
 by: Bob - Tue, 9 May 2023 02:02 UTC

leonard hofstatder wrote:
> On 5/1/2023 11:58 AM, Frank wrote:

>>> That domain has not yet been registered, so a site cannot be there.  No
>>> need to get knickers in a twist for URLs pointing nowhere.
>>>
>>> You didn't show any other URLs, but then you didn't show the raw source
>>> of the phish e-mail to check tracing through the Received headers, and
>>> to see whatever other hyperlinks there were in the message.
>>>
>>> The phish e-mail wants you to update your address info in your Comcast
>>> account, but you don't show a URL to where the phish e-mail wants to
>>> take you.
>

> Regardless, Comcast filtering seems to be non-existent.

Filters don't always work.

Use an email that the spammers won't guess.
Example:  hair3.1415926535897932384626433832795@comcast.net

Whitelists also work but can be a PITA to maintain.

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<u3davq$8eeh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=472&group=alt.online-service.comcast#472

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
highest level?
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 06:32:09 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Tue, 9 May 2023 11:32 UTC

On 5/8/2023 9:02 PM, Bob wrote:
> leonard hofstatder wrote:

>> Regardless, Comcast filtering seems to be non-existent.
>>

> Filters don't always work.
>
> Use an email that the spammers won't guess.
> Example:  hair3.1415926535897932384626433832795@comcast.net
>
> Whitelists also work but can be a PITA to maintain.

Doesn't matter, there are many search results for customers assuming
that Comcast selling our email addresses to advertispammers either by
corporate or employees.

Another search finds that the customer is basically solely responsible
for setting up and maintaining spam filtering and message rules.

Re: How the hell does this even get past spam/phishing filters at the highest level?

<eFKaM.2113579$Tcw8.1130109@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=473&group=alt.online-service.comcast#473

highest level?
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
From: ali...@tranheuser.butch (Alissa Heinerschein)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 10:06:01 -0400
 by: Alissa Heinerschein - Mon, 22 May 2023 14:06 UTC

leonard hofstatder wrote:
> On 5/8/2023 9:02 PM, Bob wrote:
>> leonard hofstatder wrote:

>>> Regardless, Comcast filtering seems to be non-existent.
>>>

>> Filters don't always work.
>>
>> Use an email that the spammers won't guess.
>> Example:  hair3.1415926535897932384626433832795@comcast.net
>>
>> Whitelists also work but can be a PITA to maintain.
>

> Doesn't matter, there are many search results for customers assuming
> that Comcast selling our email addresses to advertispammers either by
> corporate or employees.
>
> Another search finds that the customer is basically solely responsible
> for setting up and maintaining spam filtering and message rules.

ComcastNBC might be a lefty-looney-libtard fake news organization and
you might need an advanced math degree to understand your cable bill but...
my @comcast email gets zero spam. If you're getting spam, I seriously
doubt Comcast is to blame.