Subject: Emulation question
From: Kent Dickey
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 13:25 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
From: keg...@provalid.com (Kent Dickey)
Originator: kegs@provalid.com (Kent Dickey)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 08:25:55 -0500
View all headers
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask these questions.

I'm interested in running some old OS X games (PowerPC) under emulation on
Catalina.  I'm not sure there is a way to do this, can someone point me to
ways this can be done?  I have various Mac OS X install DVDs.  I have
VMWare Fusion running on Catalina, but it won't let me run Mac OS X older than
10.7, so I cannot get a version old enough to run Rosetta.  If there's a
workaround for its version check, I'd be interested.  And reading about Mac
emulation didn't indicate any emulators for PowerPC that could do OS X games.
Sheepshaver seems to be OS 9 only, and PearPC seems old and not really what I
want (it seems to not do emulated disks, but wants to write directly to my
real disks...I don't want that).  If someone could let me know PearPC would
work, and could point me to good "getting started" directions, that would be
appreciated.  Would VirtualBox/QEMU or something like that work?  I'm
interested in hearing about someone else being successful, not to be a
trailblazer here.

I'm also interested in running newer 32-bit Intel-based Mac OS X apps under
Catalina (such as Age of Empires).  VMWare Fusion lets me install and
run Mac OS X 10.14 (or any version 10.7 through 10.14)--but it doesn't
emulate a GPU for client Mac OS X so games won't run.  Ironically, if I
emulated Windows, then it would work since it does provide GPU support for
Windows.  So what are suggestions for running old 32-bit Intel Mac OS X games
on Catalina?

Kent

Subject: Re: Emulation question
From: André G. Isaak
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 15:29 UTC
From: agis...@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 09:29:14 -0600
On 2020-07-09 07:25, Kent Dickey wrote:
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask these questions.

I'm interested in running some old OS X games (PowerPC) under emulation on
Catalina.  I'm not sure there is a way to do this, can someone point me to
ways this can be done?  I have various Mac OS X install DVDs.  I have
VMWare Fusion running on Catalina, but it won't let me run Mac OS X older than
10.7, so I cannot get a version old enough to run Rosetta.

You should be able to run 10.5/10.6 provided they are server versions. the license for the client version prohibits running these under a VM and both parallels and VMWare enforce this.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail service.