"Intelligence without character is a dangerous thing." -- G. Steinem

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Re: Internet problems.

SubjectAuthor
* Internet problems.Doug Laidlaw
`* Re: Internet problems.David W. Hodgins
 +* Re: Internet problems.David W. Hodgins
 |`* Re: Internet problems.Doug Laidlaw
 | `* Re: Internet problems.Bit Twister
 |  +- Re: Internet problems.David W. Hodgins
 |  `* Re: Internet problems.TJ
 |   +- Re: Internet problems.Bit Twister
 |   +* Re: Internet problems.David W. Hodgins
 |   |`- Re: Internet problems.David W. Hodgins
 |   `- Re: Internet problems.William Unruh
 `* Re: Internet problems.Doug Laidlaw
  +* Re: Internet problems.David W. Hodgins
  |`- Re: Internet problems.Gilberto F da Silva
  `- Re: Internet problems.Bit Twister

1
Internet problems.

<t4skc1$7vf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4678&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4678

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Internet problems.
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 11:19:59 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Wed, 4 May 2022 01:19 UTC

For a long time, I have had problems with Internet connectivity, despite
my location being high. Playing any YouTube video always hesitates
every few seconds. I have always blamed our National Broadband Network,
which is known to have problems. Today, however, just for comparison, I
tried doing the same thing on Linux Mint. The video playback on Firefox
was faultless, so the problem must be in the distro's software.

I suppose that I should file a bug report? My problem seems too basic to
be called a bug.

Re: Internet problems.

<op.1lnuhrj4a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4688&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4688

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Internet problems.
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 16:14:05 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 4 May 2022 20:14 UTC

On Tue, 03 May 2022 21:19:59 -0400, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> For a long time, I have had problems with Internet connectivity, despite
> my location being high. Playing any YouTube video always hesitates
> every few seconds. I have always blamed our National Broadband Network,
> which is known to have problems. Today, however, just for comparison, I
> tried doing the same thing on Linux Mint. The video playback on Firefox
> was faultless, so the problem must be in the distro's software.
>
> I suppose that I should file a bug report? My problem seems too basic to
> be called a bug.

The command "ip addr" will show which addresses are being assigned, assuming
Mint supports it. In Mageia, ifconfig -a can also be used to see the addresses.

I suspect it's a Mageia 8 install using the drakx scripts which don't seem to
work with ipv6 in many cases. If that's the case, ipv6 only sites will not work
and others may be slow as it tries the ipv6 connection first before falling back
to ipv4. If the only inet6 address shown starts with fe80 (similar to localhost),
then ipv6 is not working.

In Mageia, you can switch it to use networkmanager instead, though I think that
requires dropping the existing connection and setting up a new one in mcc/network
and internet/network center, making sure the checkbox to use networkmanager to
control the interface is selected.

As network manager doesn't support bridging (drakx tools do) and bridging is
required for things like xen, I've personally switched to systemd-networkd which
supports both ipv6 and bridging, but requires manually creating/editing the config
files.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Internet problems.

<op.1lnuricqa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4689&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4689

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 16:19:56 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 4 May 2022 20:19 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 16:14:05 -0400, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> I suspect it's a Mageia 8 install using the drakx scripts which don't seem to
> work with ipv6 in many cases. If that's the case, ipv6 only sites will not work
> and others may be slow as it tries the ipv6 connection first before falling back
> to ipv4. If the only inet6 address shown starts with fe80 (similar to localhost),
> then ipv6 is not working.

Meant to add, I had to replace my router to get ipv6 working even though the old
one (which I replaced as it stopped working completely) supposedly did support
ipv6.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Internet problems.

<t504sa$f3i$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4701&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4701

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 19:20:10 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Thu, 5 May 2022 09:20 UTC

On 5/5/22 06:19, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2022 16:14:05 -0400, David W. Hodgins
> <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> I suspect it's a Mageia 8 install using the drakx scripts which don't
>> seem to
>> work with ipv6 in many cases. If that's the case, ipv6 only sites will
>> not work
>> and others may be slow as it tries the ipv6 connection first before
>> falling back
>> to ipv4. If the only inet6 address shown starts with fe80 (similar to
>> localhost),
>> then ipv6 is not working.
>
> Meant to add, I had to replace my router to get ipv6 working even though
> the old
> one (which I replaced as it stopped working completely) supposedly did
> support
> ipv6.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Thanks, Dave. My router was supplied by the NBN, so I am probably stuck
with it. It has been suggested that users leave the router where it is,
and install a conventional router for a direct connection to the
provider. I have already tried network-manager, but couldn't see any
improvement As the default for GNOME, it is what Mint employs, and Mint
was my comparison. BitTwister has always recommended that we disable
ipv6. I haven't looked at that recently, so the present setting is
probably the Mageia default.

Doug.

Re: Internet problems.

<slrnt77jso.8lpt.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4703&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4703

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 08:22:28 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Thu, 5 May 2022 13:22 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 19:20:10 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> My router was supplied by the NBN, so I am probably stuck
> with it.

In any case, ISP needs the mac/serial number of device to grant you
access to their network.

> It has been suggested that users leave the router where it is,
> and install a conventional router for a direct connection to the
> provider.

Again, if router is direct connected to ISP network it has to be provisioned
by ISP which will need mac/serial/model to configure it remotely.

I configured my ISP router to supply fixed ip addresses and a little bit of
port forwarding for ssh.

First time I had connection problem the tech factory reset the modem
breaking my LAN connections. Went and got my own router to place
between my LAN and ISP router. No longer care if ISP router is reset. I still
have LAN access.

< I have already tried network-manager, but couldn't see any
> improvement As the default for GNOME, it is what Mint employs, and Mint
> was my comparison.

You need to check node nic for any TX/RX errors.
ifconfig | grep error

I was amazed that a few number of error severally impacted my throughput.
Replaced cheap ethernet cable with more expensive cable and my throughput
went way up.

Used iperf to test my gigabit network between nodes.

FYI: bought 500 Mbs up/down. Found out I can only push ~300 Mbs through
my computer according to speed testing sites.

> BitTwister has always recommended that we disable ipv6.

Only if your ISP is providing IPV4 from their gateway to your machine.

I do not see reason to have IPV6 send/receive packets to be repackaged
as IPV4 packets unless you want a IPV6 LAN setup.
Would not do me any good since I have IPV4 only network cameras.

Paste any of the following in a terminal to see your WAN ISP Internet ip address.
If any returns IP address with colons you have a IPV6 ISP WAN connection,

curl http://icanhazip.com
curl http://ident.me
curl whatismyip.akamai.com
curl https://ipecho.net/plain
wget -qO - http://icanhazip.com
wget -qO - http://ident.me/
wget -qO - http://smxi.org/opt/ip.php
wget -qO - https://ipecho.net/plain

Re: Internet problems.

<op.1lpeuj2ga3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4709&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4709

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 12:31:21 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 5 May 2022 16:31 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 09:22:28 -0400, Bit Twister <BitTwister@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> Paste any of the following in a terminal to see your WAN ISP Internet ip address.
> If any returns IP address with colons you have a IPV6 ISP WAN connection,

If ipv6 is working, each of the curl/wget sites show either your ipv4 address or
your ipv6 address, not both.

> curl http://icanhazip.com
shows ipv6 addr only
> curl http://ident.me
shows ipv6 addr only
> curl whatismyip.akamai.com
shows ipv4 addr only
> curl https://ipecho.net/plain
shows ipv4 addr only
> wget -qO - http://icanhazip.com
shows ipv6 addr only
> wget -qO - http://ident.me/
shows ipv6 addr only
> wget -qO - http://smxi.org/opt/ip.php
shows ipv4 addr only
> wget -qO - https://ipecho.net/plain
shows ipv4 addr only

The command "inxi -i" will show both the ipv4 wan address and the computer's ipv6 address.

Re: Internet problems.

<t55ni1$nui$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4729&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4729

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 08:09:29 -0400
 by: TJ - Sat, 7 May 2022 12:09 UTC

On 5/5/22 09:22, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2022 19:20:10 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>> My router was supplied by the NBN, so I am probably stuck
>> with it.
>
> In any case, ISP needs the mac/serial number of device to grant you
> access to their network.

I use Spectrum cable for Internet these days. With Spectrum, a
modem-only is free, but a wireless router/modem has a monthly rental fee
attached. They say you can use your own modem if it's an "approved"
model, but the service installation technician couldn't get it to work,
so I wound up with one of theirs. So far, I haven't been charged for it.

Spectrum requires the information for the modem, but the output from the
modem will connect to anything. I use my own wireless router, and have
even upgraded once, with no notification to the ISP.

>> It has been suggested that users leave the router where it is,
>> and install a conventional router for a direct connection to the
>> provider.
>
> Again, if router is direct connected to ISP network it has to be provisioned
> by ISP which will need mac/serial/model to configure it remotely.
>
> I configured my ISP router to supply fixed ip addresses and a little bit of
> port forwarding for ssh.
>
> First time I had connection problem the tech factory reset the modem
> breaking my LAN connections. Went and got my own router to place
> between my LAN and ISP router. No longer care if ISP router is reset. I still
> have LAN access.
>
> < I have already tried network-manager, but couldn't see any
>> improvement As the default for GNOME, it is what Mint employs, and Mint
>> was my comparison.
>
> You need to check node nic for any TX/RX errors.
> ifconfig | grep error
>
> I was amazed that a few number of error severally impacted my throughput.
> Replaced cheap ethernet cable with more expensive cable and my throughput
> went way up.
>
> Used iperf to test my gigabit network between nodes.
>
> FYI: bought 500 Mbs up/down. Found out I can only push ~300 Mbs through
> my computer according to speed testing sites.
>

>> BitTwister has always recommended that we disable ipv6.
>
> Only if your ISP is providing IPV4 from their gateway to your machine.
>
> I do not see reason to have IPV6 send/receive packets to be repackaged
> as IPV4 packets unless you want a IPV6 LAN setup.
> Would not do me any good since I have IPV4 only network cameras.
>
> Paste any of the following in a terminal to see your WAN ISP Internet ip address.
> If any returns IP address with colons you have a IPV6 ISP WAN connection,
>
> curl http://icanhazip.com
> curl http://ident.me
> curl whatismyip.akamai.com
> curl https://ipecho.net/plain
> wget -qO - http://icanhazip.com
> wget -qO - http://ident.me/
> wget -qO - http://smxi.org/opt/ip.php
> wget -qO - https://ipecho.net/plain

I use network manager on this laptop as I have a dual-frequency router
and network manager seems to be better at connecting to the frequency
*I* want, rather than the one *it* wants, than Mageia's net_applet.

I was curious, so clicked on the wireless icon in Plasma's panel,
clicked on the connection, then Details. It showed ipv4 number, ipv4
gateway, ipv4 dns, ipv6 number, ipv6 dns, and other stuff.

So apparently, I am connected both ways. I haven't had any noticeable
problems from it. Performance seems good. I'm inclined to leave well
enough alone, but what should I look for to determine if I should change?

TJ

Re: Internet problems.

<slrnt7cqme.vc9l.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4731&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4731

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 07:49:16 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Sat, 7 May 2022 12:49 UTC

On Sat, 7 May 2022 08:09:29 -0400, TJ wrote:
> On 5/5/22 09:22, Bit Twister wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 May 2022 19:20:10 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>>> My router was supplied by the NBN, so I am probably stuck
>>> with it.
>>
>> In any case, ISP needs the mac/serial number of device to grant you
>> access to their network.
>>
> I use Spectrum cable for Internet these days. With Spectrum, a
> modem-only is free, but a wireless router/modem has a monthly rental fee
> attached. They say you can use your own modem if it's an "approved"
> model,

That is just sales speak to sell router rental fee. Any router that can
accept WAN Dhcp connection should work. Spectrum modem is in the bridge
mode for ISP.WAN access and hands out a dynamic ip LAN address.

> but the service installation technician couldn't get it to work,
> so I wound up with one of theirs. So far, I haven't been charged for it.

I am impressed with your Spectrum tech description. I was with my neighbor
when he changed from Verizon fios to Spectrum. Tech had to spend a lot time
getting wiring converted to coax cable input. When we got down to actually
connecting to his modem. I told the tech that the computer was fixed lan
address and I did not know how to tell the linux OS to use dhcp connection.

He said just a minute, slapped in a router and we were connected. I assumed
the router fix was because he was way over on site time and wanted to
get to next install.

Neighbor is still not paying for Spectrum wireless router either. :)

Re: Internet problems.

<op.1lsudsaza3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4732&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4732

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 08:59:42 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sat, 7 May 2022 12:59 UTC

On Sat, 07 May 2022 08:09:29 -0400, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
> I was curious, so clicked on the wireless icon in Plasma's panel,
> clicked on the connection, then Details. It showed ipv4 number, ipv4
> gateway, ipv4 dns, ipv6 number, ipv6 dns, and other stuff.
>
> So apparently, I am connected both ways. I haven't had any noticeable
> problems from it. Performance seems good. I'm inclined to leave well
> enough alone, but what should I look for to determine if I should change?

As long as the ipv6 address isn't just the fe80 (Link Local) address, nothing.
If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Internet problems.

<op.1lsvvix2a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4733&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4733

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 09:31:56 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sat, 7 May 2022 13:31 UTC

On Sat, 07 May 2022 08:59:42 -0400, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2022 08:09:29 -0400, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>> I was curious, so clicked on the wireless icon in Plasma's panel,
>> clicked on the connection, then Details. It showed ipv4 number, ipv4
>> gateway, ipv4 dns, ipv6 number, ipv6 dns, and other stuff.
>>
>> So apparently, I am connected both ways. I haven't had any noticeable
>> problems from it. Performance seems good. I'm inclined to leave well
>> enough alone, but what should I look for to determine if I should change?
>
> As long as the ipv6 address isn't just the fe80 (Link Local) address, nothing.
> If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

To double check run "ip addr|grep inet6". It should show three lines ...
::1/128 scope host (aka localhost).
fe80::(some value)/64 scope link (aka link local).
(some value)/128 scope global dynamic noprefixroute (aka the wan address for that
computer).

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Internet problems.

<t5698j$o77$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4734&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4734

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 17:11:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sat, 7 May 2022 17:11 UTC

On 2022-05-07, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:

> I use network manager on this laptop as I have a dual-frequency router
> and network manager seems to be better at connecting to the frequency
> *I* want, rather than the one *it* wants, than Mageia's net_applet.

I had the problem that network_center would sort of randomly pick a SSID
even though I had selected a specific one from the choice list. Ie,
wpa_supplicant would go through the list in wpa_supplicant.conf and
randomly pick the SSID that was a) in the list or wpa_supplicant.conf
and b) was visible to the wireless. I therefor edited
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth to first extract the stnaza for
the SSID that had been selected and put it into a file in wireless.d,
and then start wpa_supplicant pointing it to that file, rather than the
default to use as its conf file. But this still does not stop
wpa_supplicant from picking the first fitting SSID it sees rather than
say the one with the strongest signal.

Mageia really has problems with network_center. The person who origianly
wrote the perl code has left and no-one has picked it up. I like it
because I can configure things much more easily than I could when I
tried network-manager.

It should not be using wext as the driver but nl80211. The former has
been strongly deprecated for at least 5 years by now.

It should not use iwlist to find the visible networks but probably
wpa_cli scan/scan-results even if the user is not root. (eg make things
suid root, or make it. iwlist craps out if there are too many sources,
and refuses to print out anything in a case like that (instead of for
example printing out the strongest BSSIDs )

The system should try first to connect to the stongest signal for a
given ssid (name) not the first one it sees. This seems to be a problem
with wpa_supplicant, although there is a way of telling wpa_supplicant
which one to try first using wpa_cli bssid ... command.
Again that probably needs the program to be suid root.

Re: Internet problems.

<t68kq9$14pg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4761&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4761

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 03:57:28 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Fri, 20 May 2022 17:57 UTC

On 5/5/22 06:14, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> As network manager doesn't support bridging (drakx tools do) and
> bridging is
> required for things like xen, I've personally switched to
> systemd-networkd which
> supports both ipv6 and bridging, but requires manually creating/editing
> the config
> files.

There is a tutorial for setting up systemd-networkd (on Ubuntu) at :

https://hesamyan.medium.com/switching-from-networkmanager-to-systemd-networkd-dcbda0b15056

I just found it, and haven't tried it yet. Ubuntu is not as heavily
customized as Linux Mint, meaning that I don't have to run scripts
intended for Mint alone.

Re: Internet problems.

<op.1mhb6il7a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4762&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4762

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 14:26:32 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Fri, 20 May 2022 18:26 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 13:57:28 -0400, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> On 5/5/22 06:14, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> As network manager doesn't support bridging (drakx tools do) and
>> bridging is
>> required for things like xen, I've personally switched to
>> systemd-networkd which
>> supports both ipv6 and bridging, but requires manually creating/editing
>> the config
>> files.
>>
> There is a tutorial for setting up systemd-networkd (on Ubuntu) at :
>
> https://hesamyan.medium.com/switching-from-networkmanager-to-systemd-networkd-dcbda0b15056
>
> I just found it, and haven't tried it yet. Ubuntu is not as heavily
> customized as Linux Mint, meaning that I don't have to run scripts
> intended for Mint alone.

Since I only have one ethernet card in my system, I've added net.ifnames=0 to
the kernel cmdline. That way my nic is eth0 rather then enp7s0.

I've set my router's lan address is 192.168.10.11 and use a /16 instead of the
normal /24.

I had problems getting static for ipv4 with dynamic for ipv6 working, so I
have dynamic for both and the static for ipv4.

On my rpi 4b where I don't run xen ...

$ cat /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network
[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
Description=LAN_NIC
DNS=::1
DNS=192.168.10.2
DNS=192.168.10.101
DNS=8.8.8.8
Domains=rp4.hodgins.homeip.net
DHCP=no
LLMNR=false
IPv6AcceptRA=yes

[Address]
Address=192.168.10.101/16

[Route]
Gateway=192.168.10.11

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.10.101
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
GATEWAY=192.168.10.11
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=5
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
USERCTL=yes
DNS1=192.168.10.2
DNS1=192.168.10.101
RESOLV_MODS=no
LINK_DETECTION_DELAY=1
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6TO4INIT=no
ACCOUNTING=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
NOZEROCONF=yes
PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT=yes

On my main system, where I also need bridging for xen ...

$ cat /etc/systemd/network/eth0.network
[Match]
Name=e*

[Network]
Bridge=xenbr

$ cat /etc/systemd/network/xenbr.netdev
[NetDev]
Name=xenbr
Kind=bridge

$ cat /etc/systemd/network/xenbr.network
[Match]
Name=xenbr

[Network]
Description=LAN_NIC
DNS=::1
DNS=127.0.0.1
DNS=8.8.8.8
Domains=x3.hodgins.homeip.net
DHCP=yes
LLMNR=false
IPv6AcceptRA=yes

[Address]
Address=192.168.10.2/16

[Route]
Gateway=192.168.10.11

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xenbr
DEVICE=xenbr
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Internet problems.

<slrnt8g6bn.1uvti.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4766&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4766

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 17:42:59 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 20 May 2022 22:42 UTC

On Sat, 21 May 2022 03:57:28 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 5/5/22 06:14, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> As network manager doesn't support bridging (drakx tools do) and
>> bridging is
>> required for things like xen, I've personally switched to
>> systemd-networkd which
>> supports both ipv6 and bridging, but requires manually creating/editing
>> the config
>> files.
>>
> There is a tutorial for setting up systemd-networkd (on Ubuntu) at :
>
> https://hesamyan.medium.com/switching-from-networkmanager-to-systemd-networkd-dcbda0b15056

Not as informative as I would have thought. See my reference links in
network conf file.

> I just found it, and haven't tried it yet.

I use it, reduced my boot time by decreasing time to get network up.

> Ubuntu is not as heavily
> customized as Linux Mint, meaning that I don't have to run scripts
> intended for Mint alone.

Why are you posting/asking information for Ubuntu, Linux Mint in this
Mageia group?

I set up systemd-networkd to work with my nic and wireless connections.
Pretty straight forward process. Used google to search for info, created
systemd network file for each network device, disabled current network managers,
enabled systemd-networkd stuff. Did not go with systemd name services.

systemd-networkd.service enabled
systemd-networkd.socket enabled
systemd-networkd-wait-online.service enabled
systemd-network-generator.service disabled

Devices configuration files I created/configured

$ ls -al /usr/lib/systemd/network/*xx*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 852 Jul 14 2021 /usr/lib/systemd/network/10_xx__enp3s0.network
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 822 Feb 10 2021 /usr/lib/systemd/network/11_xx__enp4s0.network
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 920 Feb 10 2021 /usr/lib/systemd/network/12_xx__wlp2s0.network
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 780 Feb 9 2021 /usr/lib/systemd/network/20_xx__dhcp.network

Using ipv4 fixed ip addressing, named dns, and ipv6 disabled.

$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/network/10_xx__enp3s0.network
#*********************************************************************
# /usr/lib/systemd/network/10_xx__enp3s0.network
# Created by /local/bin/systemd-networkd_net_nic_changes Wed 14 Jul 08:07 2021
#
# man systemd.network
# http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.network.html
# https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-networkd
#
# If you change this file, make the same change in
# /local/bin/systemd-networkd_net_nic_changes and run
# systemctl restart systemd-networkd
#
#*********************************************************************

[Match]
Name=enp3s0

[Network]
Description=LAN_NIC
DHCP=ipv4
DNS=127.0.0.1
Domains=home.test
IPv6AcceptRouterAdvertisements=false

[Address]
Address=192.168.50.132/24

#****** end /usr/lib/systemd/network/10_xx__enp3s0.network ****

Re: Internet problems.

<ucsnt9$3pj4m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5756&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5756

From: gfs1...@gmx.net (Gilberto F da Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:11:02 -0300
Autocrypt: addr=gfs1989@gmx.net; keydata=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 by: Gilberto F da Silva - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 13:11 UTC

David W. Hodgins escreveu:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 13:57:28 -0400, Doug Laidlaw
> <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/22 06:14, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>> As network manager doesn't support bridging (drakx tools do)
>>> and bridging is required for things like xen, I've personally
>>> switched to systemd-networkd which supports both ipv6 and
>>> bridging, but requires manually creating/editing the config
>>> files.
>>>
>> There is a tutorial for setting up systemd-networkd (on Ubuntu)
>> at :
>>
>> https://hesamyan.medium.com/switching-from-networkmanager-to-systemd-
networkd-dcbda0b15056

I just found it, and haven't tried it yet. Ubuntu is not as heavily
>> customized as Linux Mint, meaning that I don't have to run
>> scripts intended for Mint alone.
>
> Since I only have one ethernet card in my system, I've added
> net.ifnames=0 to the kernel cmdline. That way my nic is eth0 rather
> then enp7s0.
>
> I've set my router's lan address is 192.168.10.11 and use a /16
> instead of the normal /24.
>
> I had problems getting static for ipv4 with dynamic for ipv6
> working, so I have dynamic for both and the static for ipv4.
>
> On my rpi 4b where I don't run xen ...
>
> $ cat /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network [Match] Name=eth0
>
> [Network] Description=LAN_NIC DNS=::1 DNS=192.168.10.2
> DNS=192.168.10.101 DNS=8.8.8.8 Domains=rp4.hodgins.homeip.net
> DHCP=no LLMNR=false IPv6AcceptRA=yes
>
> [Address] Address=192.168.10.101/16
>
> [Route] Gateway=192.168.10.11
>
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=static IPADDR=192.168.10.101 NETMASK=255.255.0.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.10.11 ONBOOT=yes METRIC=5 MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
> USERCTL=yes DNS1=192.168.10.2 DNS1=192.168.10.101 RESOLV_MODS=no
> LINK_DETECTION_DELAY=1 IPV6INIT=yes IPV6TO4INIT=no ACCOUNTING=no
> NM_CONTROLLED=no NOZEROCONF=yes PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT=yes
>
> On my main system, where I also need bridging for xen ...
>
> $ cat /etc/systemd/network/eth0.network [Match] Name=e*
>
> [Network] Bridge=xenbr
>
> $ cat /etc/systemd/network/xenbr.netdev [NetDev] Name=xenbr
> Kind=bridge
>
> $ cat /etc/systemd/network/xenbr.network [Match] Name=xenbr
>
> [Network] Description=LAN_NIC DNS=::1 DNS=127.0.0.1 DNS=8.8.8.8
> Domains=x3.hodgins.homeip.net DHCP=yes LLMNR=false
> IPv6AcceptRA=yes
>
> [Address] Address=192.168.10.2/16
>
> [Route] Gateway=192.168.10.11
>
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp ONBOOT=yes
>
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xenbr DEVICE=xenbr
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp ONBOOT=yes

These weird net names have already bored me a lot until someone
passes me the following text:

You basically have three options:

1 - You disable the assignment of fixed names, so that the
unpredictable kernel names are used again. For this, simply mask
udev's .link file for the default policy: ln -s /dev/null
/etc/systemd/network/99-default.link

2 - You create your own manual naming scheme, for example by naming
your interfaces "internet0", "dmz0" or "lan0". For that create your
own .link files in /etc/systemd/network/, that choose an explicit name
or a better naming scheme for one, some, or all of your interfaces.
See systemd.link(5) for more information.

3 - You pass the net.ifnames=0 on the kernel command line.

- --
Abraços
Gilberto F da Silva
Mageia release 9 (Official) for x86_64