From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Subject: Datatrieve-11 and DECnet
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 06:12:16 +0100
 by: Johnny Billquist - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 05:12 UTC

Ok, it's highly unlikely that anyone cares, but just in case I am
posting this anyway.

When using RSX-11M-Plus, if you write a program that uses the
Datatrieve-11 callable interface over DECnet, your program cannot use
DECnet itself for anything in parallel. Which sucks. I've just done some
changes to the Datatrieve-11 call interface library, so that this is now
possible to do. Ping me if you want to know more.

I've also written a nice interface from PDP-11 C, which makes it pretty
easy to use both Datatrieve-11 and DECnet.

The weird things I amuse myself with, 20 years after anyone stopped
caring. :-)

Johnny

Re: Datatrieve-11 and DECnet

<8c43fa0a-0603-4a43-b870-8ae316ad0558n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=469&group=alt.sys.pdp11#469

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:49:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Datatrieve-11 and DECnet
From: lordhail...@gmail.com (lordha...@gmail.com)
 by: lordha...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:49 UTC

On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 12:12:18 AM UTC-5, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Ok, it's highly unlikely that anyone cares, but just in case I am
> posting this anyway.
>
> When using RSX-11M-Plus, if you write a program that uses the
> Datatrieve-11 callable interface over DECnet, your program cannot use
> DECnet itself for anything in parallel. Which sucks. I've just done some
> changes to the Datatrieve-11 call interface library, so that this is now
> possible to do. Ping me if you want to know more.
>
> I've also written a nice interface from PDP-11 C, which makes it pretty
> easy to use both Datatrieve-11 and DECnet.
>
> The weird things I amuse myself with, 20 years after anyone stopped
> caring. :-)
>
> Johnny

you're amusing yourself and that's the most important thing 😄 Keep the messages coming Johnny

Re: Datatrieve-11 and DECnet

<520f9bff-89e9-472c-b5cc-5d20854df637n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=470&group=alt.sys.pdp11#470

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 15:20:17 -0800 (PST)
From: tra...@excite.com (Tim)
 by: Tim - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 23:20 UTC

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 2:49:06 PM UTC-6, lordha...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 12:12:18 AM UTC-5, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > Ok, it's highly unlikely that anyone cares, but just in case I am
> > posting this anyway.
> >
> > When using RSX-11M-Plus, if you write a program that uses the
> > Datatrieve-11 callable interface over DECnet, your program cannot use
> > DECnet itself for anything in parallel. Which sucks. I've just done some
> > changes to the Datatrieve-11 call interface library, so that this is now
> > possible to do. Ping me if you want to know more.
> >
> > I've also written a nice interface from PDP-11 C, which makes it pretty
> > easy to use both Datatrieve-11 and DECnet.
> >
> > The weird things I amuse myself with, 20 years after anyone stopped
> > caring. :-)
> >
> > Johnny
> you're amusing yourself and that's the most important thing 😄 Keep the messages coming Johnny

As long as it's useful to you then it's all good.

Re: Datatrieve-11 and DECnet

<ssugbt$3l1$1@news.misty.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=471&group=alt.sys.pdp11#471

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 17:13:49 +0100
 by: Johnny Billquist - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 16:13 UTC

On 2022-01-26 00:20, Tim wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 2:49:06 PM UTC-6, lordha...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 12:12:18 AM UTC-5, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>> Ok, it's highly unlikely that anyone cares, but just in case I am
>>> posting this anyway.
>>>
>>> When using RSX-11M-Plus, if you write a program that uses the
>>> Datatrieve-11 callable interface over DECnet, your program cannot use
>>> DECnet itself for anything in parallel. Which sucks. I've just done some
>>> changes to the Datatrieve-11 call interface library, so that this is now
>>> possible to do. Ping me if you want to know more.
>>>
>>> I've also written a nice interface from PDP-11 C, which makes it pretty
>>> easy to use both Datatrieve-11 and DECnet.
>>>
>>> The weird things I amuse myself with, 20 years after anyone stopped
>>> caring. :-)
>>>
>>> Johnny
>> you're amusing yourself and that's the most important thing 😄 Keep the messages coming Johnny
>
> As long as it's useful to you then it's all good.

Oh, it's useful for me. However, I do not need to announce it here for
it to be useful to me. But in the (unlikely) case that someone else
stumbles upon the problem, now they know there is a solution.

And I would think it would be really cool if someone (apart from me)
actually do still write code using Datatrieve-11 and DECnet, but I'm not
really expecting it.

Johnny

Re: Datatrieve-11 and DECnet

<c1a7bf88-75f7-40ab-b8e0-dd3299ad2a73n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=472&group=alt.sys.pdp11#472

Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 09:47:45 -0800 (PST)
From: tra...@excite.com (Tim)
 by: Tim - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 17:47 UTC

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 10:13:50 AM UTC-6, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-26 00:20, Tim wrote:
> >>>

> Oh, it's useful for me. However, I do not need to announce it here for
> it to be useful to me. But in the (unlikely) case that someone else
> stumbles upon the problem, now they know there is a solution.
>
> And I would think it would be really cool if someone (apart from me)
> actually do still write code using Datatrieve-11 and DECnet, but I'm not
> really expecting it.

I have to admit it is not likely. I have never used either myself. But you did your due diligence and hopefully someone
else out there may find this useful.