Many Myths are based on truth -- Spock, "The Way to Eden", stardate 5832.3

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Now able to print via the GS to modern laser printer.

SubjectAuthor
* Now able to print via the GS to modern laser printer.Leon
`- Re: Now able to print via the GS to modern laser printer.Hugh Hood

1
Now able to print via the GS to modern laser printer.

<8061d0e4-12fa-4030-995f-a247c221112dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4724&group=comp.sys.apple2#4724

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 22:11:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Now able to print via the GS to modern laser printer.
From: sarge...@icloud.com (Leon)
 by: Leon - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 05:11 UTC

Xerox B210 B&W laser printer works right out of the box with Tree Hugger. Printed from AWGS just text with one line tabbed to see if it handled basic page margins. The other image is from MiniPaint the samples image. Current connection is Ethernet to airport express. It did not work with address: port just with address. I will try to print via WiFI but my Mac is in another room and setup has to be USB to enable WI-FI.

The sample images I hint at were posted on Slack the Appleiigs thread.

Thank you to Hugh Hood for checking out the PCL and PS version to see if this would even work.

Not sure about the PCL but the PS certainly does.

Leon

Re: Now able to print via the GS to modern laser printer.

<VQCdnXbTxcpFzLT-nZ2dnZfqn_Vj4p2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4727&group=comp.sys.apple2#4727

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 00:38:16 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
From: hughh...@earthlink.net (Hugh Hood)
 by: Hugh Hood - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 05:38 UTC

Leon,

Thanks for your report on the Xerox B210 laser printer working with the
IIGS, the Tree Hugger TCP/IP port driver and the Direct Connect
PostScript Printer Driver.

As you've shown, the DCPPD works with the PostScript Level 3 built into
that printer. Since that printer also has PCL 5/6, you can use the
Harmonie PCL printer driver with it should you want to try it out as well.

Of course, the Harmonie PCL driver will be much slower and probably not
provide the resolution that the PostScript driver does, but there may be
some features in it that the PostScript driver does not offer.

I see that Xerox has now introduced the Model B230 to replace the Model
B210. The B230 should work at least as well as the B210 does since it
includes both PCL 5/6 and PostScript Level 3. At a cost of $170, it
would seem to be a very good value.

BTW -- I never would have attempted the DCPPD without Ewen Wannop's
wonderful tools - ChewBagger and BrkDown. So, I share your thanks with him.

Hugh Hood