"We don't have to protect the environment -- the Second Coming is at hand." -- James Watt

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

SubjectAuthor
* Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.skybuck2000
+- Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.Paul
+* Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.Charlie
|`- Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.Steve Hough
`- Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.skybuck2000

1
Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<69958c4a-4ec5-4e18-988e-fd2b1f91fc29n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=433&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#433

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 23:32:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:32 UTC

Situation is most likely as follows:

Socket 939, AMD X2 3800+ can run windows 7, cannot run windows 10.

Future PC might be: anything recent which apperently cannot run windows 7.

Thus old pc cannot upgrade to windows 10 and then replace hardware.

Vice versa.

New pc cannot run windows 7 and cannot upgrade to windows 10.

I spent a lot of time on this pc to install all kinds of software, it's fantastic even though it might require or benefit from some application updates.

And thus for the very first time in my life I might want to try and upgrade path to save time and now this Microsoft software can't do it directly.

A work around, which will become very complex and tedious.

Is to use virtual machine technology, either boot the real harddisk.

Or transfer the harddisk to virtual files, then updates and then transfer back to real harddisks.

This is not as easy as it sounds, many tools, software will fail.

Only very few tools can do this properly.

VMWare 64 bit edition required on new PC.

And some harddisk "burning"/"copieing" software, not sure which one I used somewhere on my PCs somewhere...

Perhaps an easier solution is to move the old harddisk over to new PC, but this puts it at risk, bad idea.

A copy could be made and then move those over to new PC.

Then try and install windows 10 or windows 11 over copied-to harddisk...

Then hopefully windows 10 or windows 11 installation software can overwrite the somewhat flaky/damaged/error prone windows 7 operating system.

I would not be surprised if the installation program has some excuse.

Funny thing is Microsoft is totally blue balling their own customer base by TPM 2.0 chip requirements which are in short supply right now ! HAHA.

For now the "easiest" solution for me but also risky solution would be too:

1. Place new harddisk in old PC.

2. Carefully copy old to new, not vice versa otherwise data lost.

3. Install windows 11 on copied harddisk.

I kinda like this stranding though... forces me to keep everything the way it is and produce copies.

There is one little problem, the original disk is 2 TB and the new disk will be much larger.

Not sure how good a copieing program is for adjusting that partition size to max. Otherwise it would suck.

If it can resize the partition that would rock and create some new free space.

Drives basically full.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<skjuds$15u5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=438&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#438

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:55:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 13:55 UTC

On 10/18/2021 2:32 AM, skybuck2000 wrote:
> Situation is most likely as follows:
>
> Socket 939, AMD X2 3800+ can run windows 7, cannot run windows 10.
>
> Future PC might be: anything recent which apperently cannot run windows 7.
>
> Thus old pc cannot upgrade to windows 10 and then replace hardware.
>
> Vice versa.
>
> New pc cannot run windows 7 and cannot upgrade to windows 10.
>
> I spent a lot of time on this pc to install all kinds of software, it's fantastic even though it might require or benefit from some application updates.
>
> And thus for the very first time in my life I might want to try and upgrade path to save time and now this Microsoft software can't do it directly.
>
> A work around, which will become very complex and tedious.
>
> Is to use virtual machine technology, either boot the real harddisk.
>
> Or transfer the harddisk to virtual files, then updates and then transfer back to real harddisks.
>
> This is not as easy as it sounds, many tools, software will fail.
>
> Only very few tools can do this properly.
>
> VMWare 64 bit edition required on new PC.
>
> And some harddisk "burning"/"copieing" software, not sure which one I used somewhere on my PCs somewhere...
>
> Perhaps an easier solution is to move the old harddisk over to new PC, but this puts it at risk, bad idea.
>
> A copy could be made and then move those over to new PC.
>
> Then try and install windows 10 or windows 11 over copied-to harddisk...
>
> Then hopefully windows 10 or windows 11 installation software can overwrite the somewhat flaky/damaged/error prone windows 7 operating system.
>
> I would not be surprised if the installation program has some excuse.
>
> Funny thing is Microsoft is totally blue balling their own customer base by TPM 2.0 chip requirements which are in short supply right now ! HAHA.
>
> For now the "easiest" solution for me but also risky solution would be too:
>
> 1. Place new harddisk in old PC.
>
> 2. Carefully copy old to new, not vice versa otherwise data lost.
>
> 3. Install windows 11 on copied harddisk.
>
> I kinda like this stranding though... forces me to keep everything the way it is and produce copies.
>
> There is one little problem, the original disk is 2 TB and the new disk will be much larger.
>
> Not sure how good a copieing program is for adjusting that partition size to max. Otherwise it would suck.
>
> If it can resize the partition that would rock and create some new free space.
>
> Drives basically full.
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

I got the "right" TPM adapter at a computer store downtown, just yesterday.

Don't give up hope.

MSI Motherboard. MSI TPM adapter.

*******

There are two kinds of TPM.

fTPM, an emulation done at BIOS level # No plugin adapter needed!
physical TPM, a plugin module # $12 bucks, but the one that works is $25

Either fTPM or TPM, will work with Windows 11.
I have both :-) I wear a belt and suspenders.

The TPM has flash memory. Moving the disk drive
from the machine with its "matching" TPM, can spell
trouble. That is Secure Boot for you, it's like
handcuffs. There is nothing nice about Secure Boot
or about Full Drive Encryption (aided by TPM).

*******

Note that the pinout on all the physical plugin TPM adapters is
different. This forces a user to buy an MSI Adapter
for an MSI motherboard, an Asus Adapter for an Asus
motherboard, and so on.

When shopping, be very very careful with "number of pins"
and "keying pin location". For example, MSI makes two
TPM modules, one has the keying pin in a different
place than the other. A user must observe the pictures,
to make sure they're buying the right one.

Count the pins.
Check the keying pin (blocked hole) location.
Verify product description "TPM for Intel 500 series"
and so on.

*******

And Mr.DreamPC, you missed your chance for a good update,
years ago. Should have got a Skylake, if you wanted to
run Windows 7 and Windows 10 as fully supported. This would
not have helped with Windows 11, as Skylake is out of range.

WinXP, Win7, Win10 # Core2
Win7 and Win10 # Skylake
Win10 and Win11 # Processors more modern than Skylake

Later processors, like Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake, won't
run Windows 7 (with full updates, at least). Drivers may
be missing for Windows 7.

The Windows 11 CPU requirements, plus the TPM Module requirement,
push you further away from Windows 7. You can probably run
Win10 and Win11 on the machine then (which are really the
same OS, in terms of software breakage).

If you want to run Win7, then Skylake works for sure,
some of the later ones may have drivers for Windows 7,
but eventually Intel cut off drivers for Windows 7,
and you'd be shit outta luck. I don't have a precise
list of cutoff dates and processor generations. Both Intel
and AMD play the same game. AMD did it, to be "consistent".

Upgrading today is *not pleasant*. It means throwing
away stuff. Breaking carefully constructed software
setups. And so on. You'll be wanting to line up
and punch some Intel and Microsoft staff... :-)
That's if you're doing it right. Somebody needs
a punching.

And the goods are not cheap, either. You'll need to
win a lotto today, to afford a decent machine.
Of course the other kids are buying $3000 video cards.
Of course they are. How could it be any different ?

*******

There are lots of cloning programs around.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

"Backup at Home

Reflect 7 Free [runs on at least W7 and W10]
[will backup W10 C: drive]

Perfect for limited backups and cloning.
Capable of basic backup scheduling.

Download Free <===
"

It can make the clone bigger or smaller than the original.

Paul

Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<skk447$6lc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=441&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#441

From: charlieD...@verEYEzon.net (Charlie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:32:59 -0400
 by: Charlie - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:32 UTC

On 10/18/2021 2:32 AM, skybuck2000 wrote:
> Situation is most likely as follows:
>
> Socket 939, AMD X2 3800+ can run windows 7, cannot run windows 10.
>
> Future PC might be: anything recent which apperently cannot run windows 7.
>
> Thus old pc cannot upgrade to windows 10 and then replace hardware.
>
> Vice versa.
>
> New pc cannot run windows 7 and cannot upgrade to windows 10.
>
> I spent a lot of time on this pc to install all kinds of software, it's fantastic even though it might require or benefit from some application updates.
>
> And thus for the very first time in my life I might want to try and upgrade path to save time and now this Microsoft software can't do it directly.
>
> A work around, which will become very complex and tedious.
>
> Is to use virtual machine technology, either boot the real harddisk.
>
> Or transfer the harddisk to virtual files, then updates and then transfer back to real harddisks.
>
> This is not as easy as it sounds, many tools, software will fail.
>
> Only very few tools can do this properly.
>
> VMWare 64 bit edition required on new PC.
>
> And some harddisk "burning"/"copieing" software, not sure which one I used somewhere on my PCs somewhere...
>
> Perhaps an easier solution is to move the old harddisk over to new PC, but this puts it at risk, bad idea.
>
> A copy could be made and then move those over to new PC.
>
> Then try and install windows 10 or windows 11 over copied-to harddisk...
>
> Then hopefully windows 10 or windows 11 installation software can overwrite the somewhat flaky/damaged/error prone windows 7 operating system.
>
> I would not be surprised if the installation program has some excuse.
>
> Funny thing is Microsoft is totally blue balling their own customer base by TPM 2.0 chip requirements which are in short supply right now ! HAHA.

Worse, Windows 11 doesn't even need a TPM 2.0 chip to run, only for
installation. Same with the other new 'requirements'.

On July 22, 2021 I installed Windows 11 Enterprise (64 bit) on a Lenovo
T400 laptop, which is a 2008 machine that originally came with Windows
Vista installed.
It has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor (supposedly not even close to
being supported). No TPM 2.0, no Secure Boot and I don't think it even
has a UEFI.
The only upgrades were a 500GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

All the T400 drivers work (I did have to manually download a couple of
them).
The Windows 11 version is 21H2. OS build 22000.258 (just updated
yesterday).
It is pretty fast for such an old laptop.
Initially there was a problem with the Widgets not showing but that was
fixed in an update. Otherwise I have had no problems with it.
Of, course that might not last forever so if you want to do it the right
way, do what Paul tells you.

Charlie

> For now the "easiest" solution for me but also risky solution would be too:
>
> 1. Place new harddisk in old PC.
>
> 2. Carefully copy old to new, not vice versa otherwise data lost.
>
> 3. Install windows 11 on copied harddisk.
>
> I kinda like this stranding though... forces me to keep everything the way it is and produce copies.
>
> There is one little problem, the original disk is 2 TB and the new disk will be much larger.
>
> Not sure how good a copieing program is for adjusting that partition size to max. Otherwise it would suck.
>
> If it can resize the partition that would rock and create some new free space.
>
> Drives basically full.
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<skm4a7$s0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=451&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#451

From: stevenho...@MEyahoo.co.uk (Steve Hough)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:49:10 +0100
 by: Steve Hough - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 09:49 UTC

Charlie expressed precisely :
> [...]
> the other new 'requirements'.
>
> On July 22, 2021 I installed Windows 11
> Enterprise (64 bit) on a Lenovo T400 laptop,
> which is a 2008 machine that originally came
> with Windows Vista installed.
> It has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor
> (supposedly not even close to being supported).
> No TPM 2.0, no Secure Boot and I don't think
> it even has a UEFI.
> The only upgrades were a 500GB SSD and 8GB of
> RAM.
>
> All the T400 drivers work (I did have to
> manually download a couple of them).
> The Windows 11 version is 21H2. OS build
> 22000.258 (just updated yesterday).
> It is pretty fast for such an old laptop.
> Initially there was a problem with the Widgets
> not showing but that was fixed in an update.
> Otherwise I have had no problems with it.
> Of, course that might not last forever so if
> you want to do it the right way, do what Paul

Why do people keep on falling for Skybucks
dribble??

Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<82d5dcb9-716a-4e7e-83de-71777469095fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=473&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#473

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:09:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:09 UTC

My hunch that windows 7 + vmware workstation 15 + windows 11 has compatibility problems was correct.

Situation that went horribly wrong, surprise surprise ! Not really, windows 7 ntfs and windows 11 ntfs file system is probably different, real question is which software is to blame for the fuck up ? Windows 7 ? VMWare work station 15 ? Or Windows 11 ?:

1. I just mounted/mapped a windows 11 leaked os virtual harddisk with vm workstation 15 running on windows 7.

So in other words: running windows 7, mapping windows 11 virtual disk to Z:

2. Then I created a test folder on Z: and copied 1 folder from windows 7 usb portable real harddisk E: to the mounted windows 11 virtual hardisk Z:

So situation is as follows:
Windows 7 Drive C: not used in test case example
Windows 7 Drive E: is USB portable harddisk.
Windows 7 Drive E: has a virtual harddisk (for music) which is mounted as Windows 7 Drive F:

Windows 11 Drive ??? 3 out of 4 ??? is mapped as Z:

Z:\Test folder was created

Copied F:\Music\Demos\Train to Z:\Test

3. The reason for this was this "demo" uses python 3.9 PyInstaller wrapped/executable and this does not run on windows 7 !!! So was going to try it in Windows 11 Leak.

Now when booting windows 11 leak:

On startup/login, it has a terribly login screen by the way, first there is this shitty screen in the way that must be clicked away totally confused the shit out of me the first time, felt like windows 8 tiles all over again, so on login or something I said to check the drive, first I skipped it:

4. THEN I NOTICED the folder and files I copied are not there ?!?!?!?!? What to make of this I thought ?

5. So tried a "repair disk" by rebooting windows 11.

6. Fortunately the drive is only 20 GBs but can you imagine what kind of shit show this would have been if it was 5 TB or 2 TB ?!?!? Terribly fucking situation.

Plus I had to reboot it because the first time I failed to load because web browsing using to much memory and disk with constant logging probably so had to shut everything down to be able to run windows 11 in vm but ok at least that worked somewhat.

Now comes the most amazing thing of all ofcourse: WOULD THE FILES APPEAR AFTER A REPAIR ?

7. THE BIG FAT ANSWER IS: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! HAHAHAHAHAHA

FILES WERE LOST !

THIS IS ACTUALLY A VERY INTERESTING AND PRIME TIME STORY ! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THE HISTORY OF WINDOWS THAT IT HAS MANAGED TO LOOSE FILES.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT MICROSOFT WINDOWS SOFTWARE HAS MANAGED TO LOOSE FILES ?!?!?!?!?!? AND QUITE FRANKLY I CANNOT BELIEVE IT UNTIL THERE IS FURTHER HARD EVIDENCE AND FURTHER RESEARCH INTO THIS:

FOR NOW IT IS TEMPTING TO BLAME VM WORKSTATION 15 SOFTWARE FOR THIS BAD COPY/WRITE OF FOLDERS AND FILES ?!?!?!??!?!

BUT IF IT'S NOT VM WORKSTATION 15 THEN OH BOY DOES MICROSOFT HAVE A VERY VERY VERY SERIOUS ISSUE ON THEIR HANDS BECAUSE THIS COULD DEFINETLY LEAD TO A SITUATION WHY USERS BELIEVE THE COPIED OVER FILES TO WINDOWS 11 VIRTUAL DISK, BELIEVING THAT LATER THEY WILL BE THERE WHILE IN REALITY THEY WILL BE DELETED BY THE REPAIR TOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF THEY ALSO DELETE THE ORIGINAL FILES BELIEVING THAT THEY HAVE SAFELY COPIED FILES THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY LOOSE ORIGINAL DATA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS MAY ACTUALLY TRIGGER PEOPLE TO SWITCH TO LINUX OR MAC OS FOR MORE RELIABLE FILE SYSTEMS ?!?!?!?!?

ANYWAY:

VMWARE AND MICROSOFT SHOULD BOTH DEFINETLY LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE BECAUSE WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

AND NO I AM NOT SURPISED I PREDICTED THIS ! BUT I AM STILL SOMEWHAT SURPRISED AND AMAZED TO ACTUALLY SEE IT HAPPEN AND HOW BAD IT REALLY IS ?!??!

PERHAPS I UNMAPPED THE Z DRIVE TO EARLY ? BUT I DONT THINK SOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAYBE TOMORROW I WILL REPEAT THIS TEST BUT WASTED ENOUGH OF MY TIME ALREADY !

BYE FOR NOW,
SKYBUCK !