From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Clock
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:31:54 +0100
 by: db - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 15:31 UTC

My Google clock, which came with the Android system
on the phone, annoys me. I use the alarm clock, and
when it goes off, the STOP button doesn't work until
I have pressed it many times, if at all. Is this a
known bug and can it be fixed, or should I install
another clock? If so, what is recommended?
--
Dieter Britz

Re: Clock

<MPG.3fc2a0272919a1ab990224@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47390&group=comp.mobile.android#47390

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Clock
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 10:19:56 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 18:19 UTC

On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:31:54 +0100, db wrote:
> My Google clock, which came with the Android system
> on the phone, annoys me. I use the alarm clock, and
> when it goes off, the STOP button doesn't work until
> I have pressed it many times, if at all. Is this a
> known bug and can it be fixed, or should I install
> another clock? If so, what is recommended?

I'm not sure I have the Google clock, but I have to press the X and
swipe upward an inch or so to stop the alarm. Might be worth trying
for you. Also left, right, and down.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Clock

<ujb33n$3eb8k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47391&group=comp.mobile.android#47391

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 13:25:35 -0600
 by: Wally J - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 19:25 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:31:54 +0100, db wrote:
>> My Google clock, which came with the Android system
>> on the phone, annoys me. I use the alarm clock, and
>> when it goes off, the STOP button doesn't work until
>> I have pressed it many times, if at all. Is this a
>> known bug and can it be fixed, or should I install
>> another clock? If so, what is recommended?
>
> I'm not sure I have the Google clock, but I have to press the X and
> swipe upward an inch or so to stop the alarm. Might be worth trying
> for you. Also left, right, and down.

I tap the alarm dismiss button which shows up at the top of the screen.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QthknFhy/alarm01.jpg>

Simple Alarm Clock
<https://github.com/yuriykulikov/AlarmClock>
<https://f-droid.org/packages/com.better.alarm/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.better.alarm>
--
Usenet is a venue for intelligent people to share their knowledge.

Re: Clock

<MPG.3fc5543133bb33299022b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47452&group=comp.mobile.android#47452

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 11:32:39 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 19:32 UTC

On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 13:25:35 -0600, Wally J wrote:
> I tap the alarm dismiss button which shows up at the top of the screen.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/QthknFhy/alarm01.jpg>

That picture seems to be in the app's settings, to disable an alarm
before it fires. I might have misread, but I thought the OP wanted to
dismiss an alarm while it's actually sounding.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Clock

<ujgsdt$17pnh$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47466&group=comp.mobile.android#47466

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 20:08:29 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 00:08 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 13:25:35 -0600, Wally J wrote:
>> I tap the alarm dismiss button which shows up at the top of the screen.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/QthknFhy/alarm01.jpg>
>
> That picture seems to be in the app's settings, to disable an alarm
> before it fires. I might have misread, but I thought the OP wanted to
> dismiss an alarm while it's actually sounding.

Hi Stan,
Thanks for looking at the image as sometimes I wonder if it's worth the
effort to bother making them since almost nobody else ever does that.

To answer your question, that particular image showed that at 10:57 I set
an alarm for 11am sharp, and then, _as_ the alarm sounded, a notification
_also_ popped up - which allowed me to easily tap "Snooze" or "Dismiss".

Essentially, the "sound" and the "notification" are concurrent.
a. If I tap "Snooze", the alarm goes off for the prescribed snooze period.
b. If I tap "Dismiss", the alarm goes off permanently (unless rescheduled).

I "think" the OP's problem is he can't easily do that because the default
alarm app he's using isn't recognizing his taps for some reason it seems.
*Clock* by Google LLC
free,adfree,*REQUIRES GSF SPYWARE*,4.1,star,601K reviews,1B+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.deskclock>

Normally I test apps, but I already know the Google Clock is garbage,
so my purposefully helpful suggestion is to use a better clock app.

For example, a good well-established FOSS Google-clock-replacement app is
this one, with over a billion downloads (so it's robust open source code).
*Clock* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
free,adfree,*FREE OF GSF SPYWARE*,4.1,star,243K reviews,1B+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.clockpackage>

Of course, I love that it is GSF spyware free, which is one of the critical
filters I use when searching or free ad-free apps on the Google Play Store
(where all my searches are anonymous on the Google Play Store repository).
--
The whole point of Usenet is to help people and in turn they will help you.

Re: Clock

<ujn4us$1pe7e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47539&group=comp.mobile.android#47539

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 10:10:52 +0100
 by: db - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:10 UTC

On 20.11.2023 20.32, Stan Brown wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:31:54 +0100, db wrote:
>>> My Google clock, which came with the Android system
>>> on the phone, annoys me. I use the alarm clock, and
>>> when it goes off, the STOP button doesn't work until
>>> I have pressed it many times, if at all.
>
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 10:19:56 -0800, Stan Brown wrote:
>> I'm not sure I have the Google clock, but I have to press the X and
>> swipe upward an inch or so to stop the alarm. Might be worth trying
>> for you. Also left, right, and down.
>
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 13:25:35 -0600, Wally J wrote:
>> I tap the alarm dismiss button which shows up at the top of the screen.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/QthknFhy/alarm01.jpg>
>
> That picture seems to be in the app's settings, to disable an alarm
> before it fires. I might have misread, but I thought the OP wanted to
> dismiss an alarm while it's actually sounding.

That's correct. I have of course tried everything, pressing, swiping
in all directions, no luck. Sometimes it eventually works. And
sometimes I can get out of it, go to the clock and switch it off.
But mostly I am stuck there, the rooster crowing at me (and others).
--
Dieter Britz

Re: Clock

<uk2b8m$3q80d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47694&group=comp.mobile.android#47694

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 16:05:58 +0100
 by: db - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:05 UTC

On 23.11.2023 15.45, Wally J wrote:
> db <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> I have of course tried everything, pressing, swiping
>> in all directions, no luck. Sometimes it eventually works. And
>> sometimes I can get out of it, go to the clock and switch it off.
>> But mostly I am stuck there, the rooster crowing at me (and others).
>
> In less than 5 minutes, you could have lots more information if you want.
>
> I used to handle the QA department for a high-tech Silicon Valley startup,
> and I was amazed at 2 kinds of people (on the far ends, which everyone is):
> a. Those that inherently knew how to debug
> b. Those that didn't
>
> The _first_ thing I'd do, to debug, if I were you, would be to install any
> other alarm app to see if that alarm app _also_ has the problem you have.
>
> A. If it does, then it's likely something systemic (e.g., notifications).
> B. If it does not, then it's likely something app specific.
>
> It would take you only five minutes to run that debug test & let us know
> what your results are - I'll help - I'll even suggest that debug test app.
>
> *Clock* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
> free,adfree,*FREE OF GSF SPYWARE*,4.1,star,243K reviews,1B+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.clockpackage>
>
> My suggestion?
> 1. Run that app & see if it does the same thing.
> 2. Report back what happened.
I searched for it under Play Butik (i.e. shop) and it found it,
but the only thing I can do with it is to see reviews or
something called Play Pass, which does nothing. But I get
your point, I can try that with another one that I can install.
--
Dieter Britz