From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: No sound from Message App
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:37:49 -0600
 by: jetjock - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:37 UTC

Wife's phone is a Galaxy 8. All sound notifications work except for
the Message App. I've tried changing the notification sound with no
luck I'm using the same message app on my Galaxy 9+ with no adds and
no problems. I tried installing the same app again on her phone and
the whistle worked, but now the damn thing ( new app) is nothing but
one ad after another. Any ideas why it won't "whistle" at her?

Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujj4ud$virj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47503&group=comp.mobile.android#47503

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: No sound from Message App
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:46:05 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:46 UTC

Am 21.11.23 um 21:37 schrieb jetjock:
> Wife's phone is a Galaxy 8. All sound notifications work except for
> the Message App. I've tried changing the notification sound with no
> luck I'm using the same message app on my Galaxy 9+ with no adds and
> no problems. I tried installing the same app again on her phone and
> the whistle worked, but now the damn thing ( new app) is nothing but
> one ad after another. Any ideas why it won't "whistle" at her?
>
> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of

Why don't you use the stock android/Google app?

https://messages.google.com

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: No sound from Message App

<ks4muiF25d5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47504&group=comp.mobile.android#47504

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:49:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:49 UTC

jetjock wrote:

> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of

Google Messages?

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging>

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujk4ud$1hivi$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47506&group=comp.mobile.android#47506

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 01:52:13 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:52 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

>> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of
>
> Google Messages?
>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging>

It's difficult to recommend basic text apps because there are so many.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sms%20text&c=apps>

And they all do (fundamentally) the same thing. Each with added features.
*Best text messaging apps for Android in 2023*
<https://www.xda-developers.com/best-text-messaging-apps-android/>

I tested them all, long ago, & the open source QuickSMS & the open source
PulseSMS came out on top (where Maple Media later bought the FOSS PulseSMS)

*QKSMS& by Moez Bhatti (Open Source)(In-app purchases)
free,adfree,gsf?,3.9star,17.8K reviews,1M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moez.QKSMS>

I have been using the last known good version of PulseSMS for so many years
I can't count how long - on a variety of Android phones - & it works great!
<https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>

This is the specific open source version I have been using for years:
PulseSMS by Klinker Bros <xyz.klinker.messenger> version 5.4.6.2816
Size: 23847875 bytes (22 MiB)
SHA256: F83E0264EFEDF98773D22B658B932A023F4CE912C11FA5F8094AE322346944FF
<https://i.postimg.cc/c4PrjSwx/aurora19.jpg> Save all APKs upon install

Mine was obtained from the Google Play Store repo long ago (since all my
APKs are saved automatically to Windows at the time of installation).
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

Note: Technically, APKs are not "saved" so much as "not deleted" after
installation, since the FOSS Google Play Store client has a switch for it.
<https://i.postimg.cc/V6tyDpNd/aurora17.jpg> Don't delete APKs postinstall
--
Usenet is where people of all experience levels meld their experiences for
the benefit of the team, each one adding more value with each thread post.

Re: No sound from Message App

<ks5srcFb21fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47508&group=comp.mobile.android#47508

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:35:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:35 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> It's difficult to recommend basic text apps because there are so many.
> <https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sms%20text&c=apps>

Have you got a list of text apps that support RCS?

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujkj5g$1i8qa$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47511&group=comp.mobile.android#47511

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:54:57 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:54 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

> Have you got a list of text apps that support RCS?

Hi Andy,

1. Google Messages <com.google.android.apps.messaging>
2. Samsung Messages <com.samsung.android.messaging>
3. Smart Messages <com.messages.chat>
4. Beeper <com.beeper.chat>
5. Mei <com.mei>

Details are in the thread opened to flesh out the subject better.
*What RCS messaging chat (MMS/SMS/RCS) apps do you know of for Android?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/YQNFQmXJjIo>
--
Each of us on Usenet has a different use model so we learn from each other.

Re: No sound from Message App

<01rsli5idebmifakrep2ktkk7811104g18@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47525&group=comp.mobile.android#47525

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:13:44 -0600
 by: jetjock - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:13 UTC

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 01:52:13 -0400, Wally J
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote
>
>>> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of
>>
>> Google Messages?
>>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging>
>
>It's difficult to recommend basic text apps because there are so many.
> <https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sms%20text&c=apps>
>
>And they all do (fundamentally) the same thing. Each with added features.
> *Best text messaging apps for Android in 2023*
> <https://www.xda-developers.com/best-text-messaging-apps-android/>
>
>I tested them all, long ago, & the open source QuickSMS & the open source
>PulseSMS came out on top (where Maple Media later bought the FOSS PulseSMS)
>
> *QKSMS& by Moez Bhatti (Open Source)(In-app purchases)
> free,adfree,gsf?,3.9star,17.8K reviews,1M+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moez.QKSMS>
>
>I have been using the last known good version of PulseSMS for so many years
>I can't count how long - on a variety of Android phones - & it works great!
> <https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>
>
>This is the specific open source version I have been using for years:
> PulseSMS by Klinker Bros <xyz.klinker.messenger> version 5.4.6.2816
> Size: 23847875 bytes (22 MiB)
> SHA256: F83E0264EFEDF98773D22B658B932A023F4CE912C11FA5F8094AE322346944FF

I just spent about an hour & a half trying to install this version on
her Galaxy 8 with no luck. No matter which of the various "fixes" I
tried to get around the "apk not installed" failure, it just will not
install on Android v9. I also tried installing the version of Samsung
Messages (a slightly newer version than she has), that I have on my
phone with the same results. Permission is set to install from unknown
sources, so that is not the problem. I even tried "ApkMirror
installer" (what a piece of shit that is!!) with same results.
Guess she'll just have to live without an oral notification as every
"new" version of all the message apps I can find are so loaded with
ads as to be almost unusable! Even your favorite PulseSMS.

> <https://i.postimg.cc/c4PrjSwx/aurora19.jpg> Save all APKs upon install
>
>Mine was obtained from the Google Play Store repo long ago (since all my
>APKs are saved automatically to Windows at the time of installation).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows
>
>Note: Technically, APKs are not "saved" so much as "not deleted" after
>installation, since the FOSS Google Play Store client has a switch for it.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/V6tyDpNd/aurora17.jpg> Don't delete APKs postinstall

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujm5ld$1houc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47531&group=comp.mobile.android#47531

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 20:16:46 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 00:16 UTC

jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote

> I just spent about an hour & a half trying to install this version on
> her Galaxy 8 with no luck.

Thanks for trying to install PulseSMS which is always in the top set of
Messaging apps when you run a search for "best Android messaging apps".
<https://www.androidcentral.com/best-text-messaging-apps>
<https://www.wired.com/story/best-sms-text-messaging-apps-android/>
<https://www.androidauthority.com/best-texting-apps-for-android-653970/>
etc.

I think I know what your installation problem is... but first...

Q1: *Does the PulseSMS on the Google Play Store repository install?*
A1: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger>

If that installs, then your problem is likely something I've seen before,
which Andy Burns knows more about than I do, as you need the right package.

Notice the downloads have crazy names, such as:
xyz.klinker.messenger_5.4.6.2816-2816_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,x86,x86_64)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

You have to get the exact correct one for your specific hardware.
I don't know how to go about doing that though.

So let's take a look at the APK mirror for now...
<https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/pulse-sms/pulse-smstablet-messenger/>

Notice each version comes in multiple "variants" (which I don't understand
all that much because I just use old versions that I downloaded myself).

There's an FAQ though which supposedly explains how to choose variants.
<https://www.apkmirror.com/faq/>

This is probably the first FAQ Q&A that you might want to look at:
<https://www.apkmirror.com/faq/#How_can_I_find_out_my_device8217s_DPI_architecture_screen_size_and_otherspecs>

They suggest using "Droid Hardware Info" by "Inkwired" but I'd use what I
use which doesn't have ads - but for now - just use what they suggest.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkwired.droidinfo>

In summary, I think the problem you're having is you have to download the
correct variant for your hardware - and I never have to do that as I save
every APK that ever was installed on my system to Windows automatically.

Maybe Andy Burns or someone else can help you determine your hardware.
--
The whole point of Usenet is to reach out to others to help them, and to
learn from them and then to add to the group's tribal knowledge for others.