From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: What RCS messaging chat (MMS/SMS/RCS) apps do you know of for Android?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:53:22 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:53 UTC

What RCS messaging apps do you know of for Android?

Here are the only ones I know of as of November 2023.
1. Google Messages <com.google.android.apps.messaging>
2. Samsung Messages <com.samsung.android.messaging>
3. Smart Messages <com.messages.chat>
4. Beeper <com.beeper.chat>
5. Mei <com.mei>

As far as I know, Samsung's traditional Messages app supports RCS
*How to set up RCS chat on Samsung phones with Samsung Messages*
<https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-rcs-chat-samsung-phones>

*Google Messages and Samsung Messages support RCS*
<https://www.androidauthority.com/what-is-rcs-messaging-726687/>

While Samsung's messaging comes only with Samsungs, this works on all.
*Smart Messages* SMS/MMS/RCS Contains ads, In-app purchases
4.5star,10.7K reviews,1M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.messages.chat>
Unfortunately, that's an ad-supported RCS messaging app. Bummer.

Personally, I've never cared for RCS but I also don't have the same
MMS-cost needs that others have, so I've never explored the universal
alternatives such as the all-platform "Beeper" approach described here:

*August 17, 2023 Introducing Google Messages + RCS support!*
<https://www.beeper.com/> & <https://github.com/beeper>
<https://www.beeper.com/faq> & <https://www.beeper.com/download>

Where Beeper recently reported that they added RCS support but RCS
may only be in the desktop version (as far as I can tell from this).
*August 23, 2023 Beeper Adds RCS Support to Desktop v3.71.16*
<https://beeper.notion.site/Beeper-Product-Changelog-cdbc7b68526d45f7b8ced8d4ba170c8d>

There's an Android & iOS version of Beeper but I don't see RCS noted.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beeper.chat>
<https://apps.apple.com/ae/app/beeper-universal-messenger/id1551695541>

Similarly, there's Mei, which says it was the first independent with RCS.
<https://textmei.com/rcs/>
But their Google APK says they're being recently forced to change the app.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mei>
"Due to upcoming changes in Play Store policy, we may soon have to
modify our services. We will provide more details soon."

I should openly admit I know nothing about RCS (as I see no advantage to it
for my use model) but I would love to ask those who do want to use RCS to
test out one of the four potential solutions listed above & report back.

All we'd need is four people who care about RCS to each test one solution.
That way we'd all benefit from your needs, tests and app interactions.
--
Each of us on Usenet has a different use model so we learn from each other.