24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

computers / news.software.readers / Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

SubjectAuthor
* [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...andrew
+* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Ted Heise
|+* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Lewis
||`* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Ted Heise
|| +- Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Robert Marshall
|| `- Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Lewis
|+* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...andrew
||+* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Harold Stevens
|||`- Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...andrew
||`* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Ted Heise
|| `* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Lewis
||  `- Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Lewis
|`* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...andrew
| `* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Ted Heise
|  +- Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Lewis
|  `* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...andrew
|   `* Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Ted Heise
|    `- Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...Lewis
`- Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...andrew

1
[slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<20210524163330.767@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=461&group=news.software.readers#461

From: and...@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...
Date: 24 May 2021 23:41:40 GMT
 by: andrew - Mon, 24 May 2021 23:41 UTC

Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the new
Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old #slrn on
Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not seen much action
for a long time. So perhaps this will be useful?

I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it addresses a
need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers, and connecting
with SASL, can be found here:

https://libera.chat/

Perhaps see you there?

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsapom6.7fn.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=462&group=news.software.readers#462

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:43:02 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Tue, 25 May 2021 11:43 UTC

On 24 May 2021 23:41:40 GMT,
andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the
> new Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old
> #slrn on Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not
> seen much action for a long time. So perhaps this will be
> useful?
>
> I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it
> addresses a need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers,
> and connecting with SASL, can be found here:
>
> https://libera.chat/
>
> Perhaps see you there?

Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:

bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
*** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freenode.net

and it just stalled there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
It's been ages since I poked around on irc, so the process is no
longer familiar.

To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
precious little time these days for things like irc chat.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsapsfl.dct.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=463&group=news.software.readers#463

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 12:47:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 25 May 2021 12:47 UTC

In message <slrnsapom6.7fn.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
> On 24 May 2021 23:41:40 GMT,
> andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
>> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the
>> new Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old
>> #slrn on Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not
>> seen much action for a long time. So perhaps this will be
>> useful?
>>
>> I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it
>> addresses a need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers,
>> and connecting with SASL, can be found here:
>>
>> https://libera.chat/
>>
>> Perhaps see you there?

> Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:

> bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697

is that a TLS connection?

--
Rincewind had always been happy to think of himself as a racist. The
One Hundred Meters, the Mile, the Marathon -- he'd run them all.

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsaqagl.7fn.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=464&group=news.software.readers#464

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 16:47:16 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Tue, 25 May 2021 16:47 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:47:49 -0000 (UTC),
Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <slrnsapom6.7fn.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
> > On 24 May 2021 23:41:40 GMT,
> > andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> >> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the
> >> new Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera. The old
> >> #slrn on Freenode was registered by Michael Prokop but has not
> >> seen much action for a long time. So perhaps this will be
> >> useful?
> >>
> >> I will keep it going for a few weeks anyway and see if it
> >> addresses a need. Details for about the new libera IRC servers,
> >> and connecting with SASL, can be found here:
> >>
> >> https://libera.chat/
> >>
> >> Perhaps see you there?
>
> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>
> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
>
> is that a TLS connection?

No idea. I just put in the string that was at the cited website.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<871r9uiuup.fsf@capuchin.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=465&group=news.software.readers#465

From: spa...@capuchin.co.uk (Robert Marshall)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 18:30:54 +0100
 by: Robert Marshall - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:30 UTC

On Tue, May 25 2021, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:47:49 -0000 (UTC),
> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
>> In message <slrnsapom6.7fn.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:

>> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>>
>> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
>>
>> is that a TLS connection?

It is

> No idea. I just put in the string that was at the cited website.

I'm using 6667 which modulo difficulties in initially getting the
registration email works fine.

Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsar9r3.trc.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=467&group=news.software.readers#467

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 01:41:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 26 May 2021 01:41 UTC

In message <slrnsaqagl.7fn.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:47:49 -0000 (UTC),
> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
>> In message <slrnsapom6.7fn.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:

>> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>>
>> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
>>
>> is that a TLS connection?

> No idea. I just put in the string that was at the cited website.

the website notes that is a TLS port (6667 is unencrypted IRC, 6687 is
STARTTLS, and 6697 is TLS).

--
"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents -- except
at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<20210525183917.691@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=468&group=news.software.readers#468

From: and...@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: 26 May 2021 01:45:46 GMT
 by: andrew - Wed, 26 May 2021 01:45 UTC

On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:

> To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
> generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
> precious little time these days for things like irc chat.

Well, I am retired now so I have time to give to such projects :). I
have a shell account with Blinkenshell so I will usually be available
in SOuthern Hemisphere times. And yes it will always be a small number
of users...

When you think of:

--> People who use Usenet at all
----> Of those people, those are not there just for PrOn and Warez
-------> Of those people, those who use slrn
-----------> Of those people, those who would use IRC at all

Small numbers indeed :)

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<20210525231713.519@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=469&group=news.software.readers#469

From: and...@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: 26 May 2021 06:18:12 GMT
 by: andrew - Wed, 26 May 2021 06:18 UTC

On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:

> Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>
> bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
> *** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freenode.net
>
> and it just stalled there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
> It's been ages since I poked around on irc, so the process is no
> longer familiar.

Which IRC client are you using here?

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsarv42.346.wookie@limbo.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=470&group=news.software.readers#470

Newsgroups: news.software.readers
From: woo...@limbo.localdomain (Harold Stevens)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 02:45:05 -0500
 by: Harold Stevens - Wed, 26 May 2021 07:45 UTC

In <20210525183917.691@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew:

> When you think of:
>
> --> People who use Usenet at all
> ----> Of those people, those are not there just for PrOn and Warez
> -------> Of those people, those who use slrn
> -----------> Of those people, those who would use IRC at all
>
> Small numbers indeed :)
>
> Andrew

Sorta like the Drake Equation in SETI: what are the chances of a
signal in all this space? :)

Thanks, Andrew. Three cheers for the slrn mafia! :)

Really, it's (wyrd) at att, dotted with net. * DO NOT SPAM IT. *
I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<20210526013318.923@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=471&group=news.software.readers#471

From: and...@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: 26 May 2021 08:35:25 GMT
 by: andrew - Wed, 26 May 2021 08:35 UTC

On 2021-05-26, Harold Stevens <wookie@limbo.localdomain> wrote:

> Thanks, Andrew. Three cheers for the slrn mafia! :)

As Usenet slows down (and Freenode implodes!) I am still happy that I
met so many really good people through Usenet and more so through the
slrn community. Indeed: 'Three cheers for the slrn mafia!'

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsasiqd.kr5.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=472&group=news.software.readers#472

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 13:21:17 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Wed, 26 May 2021 13:21 UTC

On 26 May 2021 01:45:46 GMT,
andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
> > generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
> > precious little time these days for things like irc chat.
>
> Well, I am retired now so I have time to give to such projects :). I
> have a shell account with Blinkenshell so I will usually be available
> in SOuthern Hemisphere times.

Wait, what? Doesn't the Southern Hemisphere include more than a
few time zones? :)

> And yes it will always be a small number of users...
>
> When you think of:
>
> --> People who use Usenet at all
> ----> Of those people, those are not there just for PrOn and Warez
> -------> Of those people, those who use slrn
> -----------> Of those people, those who would use IRC at all
>
> Small numbers indeed :)

Yup.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsasivh.kr5.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=473&group=news.software.readers#473

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 13:24:01 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Wed, 26 May 2021 13:24 UTC

On 26 May 2021 06:18:12 GMT,
andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
> >
> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
> > *** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freenode.net
> >
> > and it just stalled there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
> > It's been ages since I poked around on irc, so the process is no
> > longer familiar.
>
> Which IRC client are you using here?

Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make the
program tell me about itself. :)

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsasvo9.300g.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=474&group=news.software.readers#474

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 17:02:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 26 May 2021 17:02 UTC

In message <slrnsasiqd.kr5.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2021 01:45:46 GMT,
> andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> > To be honest, I'm not sure the user base is large enough to
>> > generate any worthwhile traffic. I'm a longtime user, but with
>> > precious little time these days for things like irc chat.
>>
>> Well, I am retired now so I have time to give to such projects :). I
>> have a shell account with Blinkenshell so I will usually be available
>> in SOuthern Hemisphere times.

> Wait, what? Doesn't the Southern Hemisphere include more than a
> few time zones? :)

Not many with people in them. Also, their DST varies, so it's best to
specify. It is nearly impossible for me to keep track of Argentinian
time, so I have a preset on my watch for it since between 4 DST changes
it's too much.

Right now 1100 MDT (1500 UTC) is 1400 in Buenos Aires.

--
Beware of the Leopard!

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsat01m.300g.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=475&group=news.software.readers#475

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 17:07:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 26 May 2021 17:07 UTC

In message <slrnsasivh.kr5.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2021 06:18:12 GMT,
> andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2021-05-25, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Nice idea, Andrew. I tried the following:
>> >
>> > bash-5.1$ irc -R irc.libera.chat:6697
>> > *** Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.freenode.net
>> >
>> > and it just stalled there. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>> > It's been ages since I poked around on irc, so the process is no
>> > longer familiar.
>>
>> Which IRC client are you using here?

> Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
> executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make the
> program tell me about itself. :)

sounds like /usr/ports/irc/irc to me.

--
It was a fifty-four with a mashed up door and a cheesy little amp
with a sign on the front said "Fender Champ" and a second-hand

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsat71i.g85.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=476&group=news.software.readers#476

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 19:06:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 26 May 2021 19:06 UTC

In message <slrnsasvo9.300g.g.kreme@m1mini.local> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <slrnsasiqd.kr5.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>> On 26 May 2021 01:45:46 GMT,
>> andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:

>>> Well, I am retired now so I have time to give to such projects :). I
>>> have a shell account with Blinkenshell so I will usually be available
>>> in SOuthern Hemisphere times.

>> Wait, what? Doesn't the Southern Hemisphere include more than a
>> few time zones? :)

> Not many with people in them. Also, their DST varies, so it's best to
> specify. It is nearly impossible for me to keep track of Argentinian
> time, so I have a preset on my watch for it since between 4 DST changes
> it's too much.

> Right now 1100 MDT (1500 UTC) is 1400 in Buenos Aires.

And I got the UTC time wrong. Doh! 1700 UTC, of course.

--
Billionaire beats up a schizophrenic woman and a deformed little person
who likes birds.

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<20210526154317.435@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=477&group=news.software.readers#477

From: and...@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: 26 May 2021 22:45:15 GMT
 by: andrew - Wed, 26 May 2021 22:45 UTC

On 2021-05-26, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:

> Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
> executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make the
> program tell me about itself. :)

Might make life easy for yourself by using an application like Hexchat
or better: irssi. The Blinkenshell owner has a nice irssi guide here:

https://independence.blinkenshell.org/blog/2021/05/26/irc-communities-migrating-to-libera-chat/

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsav5po.ctk.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=478&group=news.software.readers#478

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 12:57:28 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Thu, 27 May 2021 12:57 UTC

On 26 May 2021 22:45:15 GMT,
andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-05-26, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
> > executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make
> > the program tell me about itself. :)
>
> Might make life easy for yourself by using an application like
> Hexchat or better: irssi. The Blinkenshell owner has a nice
> irssi guide here:
>
> https://independence.blinkenshell.org/blog/2021/05/26/irc-communities-migrating-to-libera-chat/

Thanks, Andrew. It will probably be a week or more before I have
free time I could commit to this, though.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<slrnsb0c5p.2dta.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=479&group=news.software.readers#479

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 23:52:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Thu, 27 May 2021 23:52 UTC

In message <slrnsav5po.ctk.theise@panix2.panix.com> Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2021 22:45:15 GMT,
> andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2021-05-26, Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hrrrrmmm, good question. This is on a FreeBSD system, and the
>> > executable is a link to irc-20170704. Not sure how to make
>> > the program tell me about itself. :)
>>
>> Might make life easy for yourself by using an application like
>> Hexchat or better: irssi. The Blinkenshell owner has a nice
>> irssi guide here:
>>
>> https://independence.blinkenshell.org/blog/2021/05/26/irc-communities-migrating-to-libera-chat/

> Thanks, Andrew. It will probably be a week or more before I have
> free time I could commit to this, though.

irssi is definitely my recommendation, though I no longer do IRC at all.
irssi is full-featured and most importantly, has a lot of support
documents and technical answers to many questions available from your
favorite search engine.

--
Disorder is merely the order you were not looking for." Henri Bergson

Re: [slrn] Test for slrn IRC channel...

<20210612153520.299@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=512&group=news.software.readers#512

From: and...@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: 13 Jun 2021 03:56:19 GMT
 by: andrew - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 03:56 UTC

On 2021-05-24, andrew <andrew@skamandros.invalid> wrote:

> Pending JED being happy and also pending final approval by the new
> Libera.Chat admins I have created #slrn on libera.

Everything is in place now:

1. JED has given approval of #slrn and has been good enough to place
details of the channel on the slrn web site.
2. The namespace #slrn-* has been officially registered with Libera
3. The channel has been fully setup with appropriate modes / flags

I will be there during Southern Hemisphere evening hours for the most
part but, courtesy of Blinkenshell, my nick will always be there...

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?