From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Finally got a project
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:01:46 -0500
 by: philo - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 19:01 UTC

Years ago I used to do a lot of repair work and would generally have two
or three machines on the bench at all times. Now, I'm lucky if I get one
repair a month.

I friend brought over his XP machine that he used only to access old
email.(offline) He runs a small business and often needs to get info
from old transactions.

Since the mobo was bad, I told him I could get him a better machine and
one that was ok to use on-line.
The only spare machine I had left was one running Win8.1 .

I recalled that Thunderbird had the the option to import mail from
Outlook Express. I also recall that I thought it dumb they had no option
to import from a previous version of Thunderbird other than to copy over
the whole profile.

Just now I installed the latest version and see there now is an option
to import from another Thunderbird...but no longer from OE >

LOL

Thankfully the Old Version website is still there and I was able to
import all of his stuff using Thunderbird 3.1

I figure that when support runs out for Win 8.1
he should be reasonably OK.

I installed Firefox and AVG

The machine is capable of running Win10 but is only a single core CPU so
for now at least I'm just leaving Win8.1

Re: Finally got a project

<te6d91$3eplv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4740&group=alt.windows7.general#4740

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Finally got a project
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 19:46:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 23:46 UTC

On 8/24/2022 3:01 PM, philo wrote:
> Years ago I used to do a lot of repair work and would generally have two or three machines on the bench at all times. Now, I'm lucky if I get one repair a month.
>
> I friend brought over his XP machine that he used only to access old email.(offline) He runs a small business and often needs to get info from old transactions.
>
> Since the mobo was bad, I told him I could get him a better machine and one that was ok to use on-line.
> The only spare machine I had left was one running Win8.1  .
>
> I recalled that Thunderbird had the the option to import mail from Outlook Express. I also recall that I thought it dumb they had no option to import from a previous version of Thunderbird other than to copy over the whole profile.
>

> Just now I installed the latest version and see there now is an option to import from another Thunderbird...but no longer from OE >
>
> LOL
>
> Thankfully the Old Version website is still there and I was able to import all of his stuff using Thunderbird 3.1
>

> I figure that when support runs out for Win 8.1
> he should be reasonably OK.
>
> I installed Firefox and AVG
>

> The machine is capable of running Win10 but is only a single core CPU so for now at least I'm just leaving Win8.1

If you want Thunderbirds, all the old versions are available.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

Paul

Re: Finally got a project

<te8nbp.pvg.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4747&group=alt.windows7.general#4747

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: 25 Aug 2022 18:51:13 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 18:51 UTC

philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
> Years ago I used to do a lot of repair work and would generally have two
> or three machines on the bench at all times. Now, I'm lucky if I get one
> repair a month.
>
> I friend brought over his XP machine that he used only to access old
> email.(offline) He runs a small business and often needs to get info
> from old transactions.
>
> Since the mobo was bad, I told him I could get him a better machine and
> one that was ok to use on-line.
> The only spare machine I had left was one running Win8.1 .
>
> I recalled that Thunderbird had the the option to import mail from
> Outlook Express. I also recall that I thought it dumb they had no option
> to import from a previous version of Thunderbird other than to copy over
> the whole profile.
>

> Just now I installed the latest version and see there now is an option
> to import from another Thunderbird...but no longer from OE >
>
> LOL
>
> Thankfully the Old Version website is still there and I was able to
> import all of his stuff using Thunderbird 3.1
>

> I figure that when support runs out for Win 8.1
> he should be reasonably OK.
>
> I installed Firefox and AVG
>

> The machine is capable of running Win10 but is only a single core CPU so
> for now at least I'm just leaving Win8.1

FYI, you probably could have imported the Outlook Express mail into
Windows Mail (needs Windows Vista or 7 IIRC) or Windows Live Mail (runs
on 8.1) and import that into Thunderbird with the ImportExportTools
Add-on:
<https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools?

N.B. The Add-on says "Works with Thunderbird 14.0 - 6.0.*" which may
not be new enough for you.

FWIW, I used the ImportExportTools Add-on to import my (exported)
Windows Mail (on Windows 7) to Thunderbird (on Windows 8.1).

Re: Finally got a project

<te942k$3p143$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4749&group=alt.windows7.general#4749

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 19:28:04 -0500
 by: philo - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 00:28 UTC

On 8/24/22 6:46 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/24/2022 3:01 PM, philo wrote:
>> Years ago I used to do a lot of repair work and would generally have
>> two or three machines on the bench at all times. Now, I'm lucky if I
>> get one repair a month.
>>
>> I friend brought over his XP machine that he used only to access old
>> email.(offline) He runs a small business and often needs to get info
>> from old transactions.
>>
>> Since the mobo was bad, I told him I could get him a better machine
>> and one that was ok to use on-line.
>> The only spare machine I had left was one running Win8.1  .
>>
>> I recalled that Thunderbird had the the option to import mail from
>> Outlook Express. I also recall that I thought it dumb they had no
>> option to import from a previous version of Thunderbird other than to
>> copy over the whole profile.
>>

>> Just now I installed the latest version and see there now is an option
>> to import from another Thunderbird...but no longer from OE >
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> Thankfully the Old Version website is still there and I was able to
>> import all of his stuff using Thunderbird 3.1
>>

>> I figure that when support runs out for Win 8.1
>> he should be reasonably OK.
>>
>> I installed Firefox and AVG
>>

>> The machine is capable of running Win10 but is only a single core CPU
>> so for now at least I'm just leaving Win8.1
>
> If you want Thunderbirds, all the old versions are available.
>
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/
>
>    Paul

Great.
Thanks

My buddy should be quite happy.

I know a lot of small book dealers and they depend on me to keep their
computers going.

Re: Finally got a project

<te944v$3p143$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4750&group=alt.windows7.general#4750

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 19:29:19 -0500
 by: philo - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 00:29 UTC

On 8/25/22 1:51 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>> Years ago I used to do a lot of repair work and would generally have two
>> or three machines on the bench at all times. Now, I'm lucky if I get one
>> repair a month.
>>
>> I friend brought over his XP machine that he used only to access old
>> email.(offline) He runs a small business and often needs to get info
>> from old transactions.
>>
>> Since the mobo was bad, I told him I could get him a better machine and
>> one that was ok to use on-line.
>> The only spare machine I had left was one running Win8.1 .
>>
>> I recalled that Thunderbird had the the option to import mail from
>> Outlook Express. I also recall that I thought it dumb they had no option
>> to import from a previous version of Thunderbird other than to copy over
>> the whole profile.
>>

>> Just now I installed the latest version and see there now is an option
>> to import from another Thunderbird...but no longer from OE >
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> Thankfully the Old Version website is still there and I was able to
>> import all of his stuff using Thunderbird 3.1
>>

>> I figure that when support runs out for Win 8.1
>> he should be reasonably OK.
>>
>> I installed Firefox and AVG
>>

>> The machine is capable of running Win10 but is only a single core CPU so
>> for now at least I'm just leaving Win8.1
>
> FYI, you probably could have imported the Outlook Express mail into
> Windows Mail (needs Windows Vista or 7 IIRC) or Windows Live Mail (runs
> on 8.1) and import that into Thunderbird with the ImportExportTools
> Add-on:
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools?
>
> N.B. The Add-on says "Works with Thunderbird 14.0 - 6.0.*" which may
> not be new enough for you.
>
> FWIW, I used the ImportExportTools Add-on to import my (exported)
> Windows Mail (on Windows 7) to Thunderbird (on Windows 8.1).

Thanks. I am familiar with Thunderbird so just wanted to stay with that

Re: Finally got a project

<jmscf2Fpd74U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4753&group=alt.windows7.general#4753

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:59:11 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:59 UTC

philo wrote:
> On 8/25/22 1:51 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> Years ago I used to do a lot of repair work and would generally
>>> have two or three machines on the bench at all times. Now, I'm
>>> lucky if I get one repair a month.
>>>
>>> I friend brought over his XP machine that he used only to access old
>>> email.(offline) He runs a small business and often needs to get info
>>> from old transactions.
>>>
>>> Since the mobo was bad, I told him I could get him a better machine
>>> and one that was ok to use on-line.
>>> The only spare machine I had left was one running Win8.1 .
>>>
>>> I recalled that Thunderbird had the the option to import mail from
>>> Outlook Express. I also recall that I thought it dumb they had no
>>> option to import from a previous version of Thunderbird other than
>>> to copy over the whole profile.

As somebody that still mainly uses OE I also have Thurderbird so I need to
import OE messages. So I temporarily install Thunderbird Setup 17.0.8.exe
and importexporttools_ng-10.0.1-tb.xpi. I import and then I replace the
message files in my current Thunderbird installation. Make sure you protect
the current profiles before you do this. After I am done I just delete the
temporary version of Thunderbird. This is a little work. I like OE because
it is straight forward and the developers are not adding features or
screwing with it :-). Running OE on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I downloaded this a long time ago so it may not be there.

https://sites.google.com/site/simpledotnet/outlook-express-6
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Finally got a project

<tebhjq$33gj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4764&group=alt.windows7.general#4764

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 17:31:22 -0500
 by: philo - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:31 UTC

On 8/26/22 11:59 AM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> philo wrote:

> As somebody that still mainly uses OE I also have Thurderbird so I need to
> import OE messages. So I temporarily install Thunderbird Setup 17.0.8.exe
> and importexporttools_ng-10.0.1-tb.xpi. I import and then I replace the
> message files in my current Thunderbird installation. Make sure you protect
> the current profiles before you do this. After I am done I just delete the
> temporary version of Thunderbird. This is a little work. I like OE because
> it is straight forward and the developers are not adding features or
> screwing with it :-). Running OE on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
>
> I downloaded this a long time ago so it may not be there.
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/simpledotnet/outlook-express-6

Thanks

This was more or less just a one time thing.
At any rate, it was nothing essential...but I did get it sorted out