"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best." -- Aeschylus

computers / comp.sys.mac.apps / Re: 15.0 is out

SubjectAuthor
* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
`* Re: 15.0 is outnospam
 `* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
  `* Re: 15.0 is outRobert Peirce
   `* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
    `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
     +* Re: 15.0 is outJolly Roger
     |`* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
     | `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
     |  +* Re: 15.0 is outJolly Roger
     |  |`- Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
     |  `* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
     |   `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
     |    `* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
     |     `- Re: 15.0 is outChris
     +* Re: 15.0 is outnospam
     |+* Re: 15.0 is outChris
     ||+* Re: 15.0 is outBrian Gordon
     |||+- Re: 15.0 is outnospam
     |||+- Re: 15.0 is outJolly Roger
     |||+- Re: 15.0 is outYour Name
     |||`* Re: 15.0 is outRod Speed
     ||| `* Re: 15.0 is outBrian Gordon
     |||  +- Re: 15.0 is outnospam
     |||  +- Re: 15.0 is outRod Speed
     |||  `- Re: 15.0 is outLewis
     ||`- Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
     |+- Re: 15.0 is outLewis
     |`- Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
     `* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
      `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
       `* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
        `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
         `* Re: 15.0 is outRobin Goodfellow
          `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
           +* Re: 15.0 is outnospam
           |+* Re: 15.0 is outChris
           ||`- Re: 15.0 is outnospam
           |`* Re: 15.0 is outbje
           | `- Re: 15.0 is outJolly Roger
           `* Re: 15.0 is outRod Speed
            `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
             `* Re: 15.0 is outRod Speed
              +* Re: 15.0 is outZaidy036
              |`- Re: 15.0 is outRod Speed
              `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
               `* Re: 15.0 is outRod Speed
                `* Re: 15.0 is outChris
                 `- Re: 15.0 is outRod Speed

Pages:12
Re: 15.0 is out

<siaou8$o4c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=468&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#468

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: 15.0 is out
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:54:55 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:54 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>> So, when's iOS 16?
>
> september 2022

Unfortunately between iOS 15.0 and iOS 16.0 will be so many iOS.oh.shits
where each of the too-many dot versions of iOS 13 & iOS 14 proved Apple
didn't spend R&D necessary to _test_ their operating systems for bugs.

How long do you think it will be before Apple releases the inevitable
iOS 15.oh.shit.we.fucked.up.again.and.again.and.again.and.again?

Meanwhile, Google is pushing security updates to _all_ the billions of
Android 6 & up phones in the world (it doesn't matter the carrier or OEM.
--
Apple iOS uses a primitive update mechanism that cripples the iPhone.

Re: 15.0 is out

<200920211658353642%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=469&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#469

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:58:35 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:58 UTC

In article <siaou8$o4c$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> Meanwhile, Google is pushing security updates to _all_ the billions of
> Android 6 & up phones in the world (it doesn't matter the carrier or OEM.

android 6 was released in october 2015.

ios 15 supports iphones as far back as the iphone 6s, which was
released in september 2015, one month earlier, and it is pushed to
*every* eligible device, regardless of carrier.

they are for all intents, equivalent time frames despite apple having
one month longer support.

since this is a new announcement from google, android is playing
catch-up, as usual.

but not entirely, since many android devices are not eligible for any
type of update, remaining unpatched, so for those users, they are to
put it mildly, fucked.

Re: 15.0 is out

<sib637$1mag$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=471&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#471

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 02:39:26 +0300
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 23:39 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>> Meanwhile, Google is pushing security updates to _all_ the billions of
>> Android 6 & up phones in the world (it doesn't matter the carrier or OEM.
>
> android 6 was released in october 2015.

Why is it you apologists always prove to be incredibly ignorant of Android?
(And yet, in your total ignorance, you claim that iOS is somehow better?)

What you apologists can't comprehend is that there is information about how
modern operating systems update that is found _outside_ your Apple web site.

The only update method you apologists know is the _primitive_ iOS update
method which no modern operating system would stoop so low as to use.

Google can autoupdate _any_ Android phone with Google Play Services on it.
That means Google can autoupdate all the way back to Android 4.4, nospam.

> ios 15 supports iphones as far back as the iphone 6s, which was
> released in september 2015, one month earlier, and it is pushed to
> *every* eligible device, regardless of carrier.

As always, you apologists prove to be incredibly ignorant of Android nospam.

Android 4.4 (API level 19) released September 3, 2013 (*eight years ago*).
--
Only iOS uses primitive monolithic bugfix security update release mechanisms

Re: 15.0 is out

<sin6t7$hmp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=479&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#479

From: bob...@peirce-family.com (Robert Peirce)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 09:06:47 -0400
 by: Robert Peirce - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 13:06 UTC

On 9/20/21 7:39 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:

> The only update method you apologists know is the _primitive_ iOS update
> method which no modern operating system would stoop so low as to use.
>
> Google can autoupdate _any_ Android phone with Google Play Services on it.
> That means Google can autoupdate all the way back to Android 4.4, nospam.
Autoupdate is NOT a good thing. There seem always to bugs in the
initial release of any update. Further, I am still running 10.14 on my
Mac mini because I need a 32-bit program that is still in the process of
being updated.

Re: 15.0 is out

<sinbve$n4i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=480&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#480

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 14:33:27 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 14:33 UTC

Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> asked
>> The only update method you apologists know is the _primitive_ iOS update
>> method which no modern operating system would stoop so low as to use.
>>
>> Google can autoupdate _any_ Android phone with Google Play Services on it.
>> That means Google can autoupdate all the way back to Android 4.4, nospam.
> Autoupdate is NOT a good thing. There seem always to bugs in the
> initial release of any update. Further, I am still running 10.14 on my
> Mac mini because I need a 32-bit program that is still in the process of
> being updated.

I'm not disagreeing with you that major OS releases can and will have bugs.

But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?
Certainly Google autoupdates billions of Androids every week, does it not?

It will work if (and only if) a good QA process is rigorously applied.

It seems Apple's QA is atrocious (even Federighi & independent Apple
engineers have loudly criticized Apple utter lack of any software QA).

Remember always.... Apple is a MARKETING company (it's never been R&D)!

(Cites available on request since we've cover this historical extreme lack
of Apple QA of software releases in gory detail many times in the past, but
if you're not aware already of those cites, then you don't have a good
background on _why_ there are more zero-day holes in Apple software than all
other operating systems that are commonly used by consumers.)
--
The reliability is in the testing, where it's a fact nobody spends LESS than
does Apple on R&D in the entire high tech industry (nor more on Marketing).

Re: 15.0 is out

<sio7cf$ioe$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=481&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#481

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 22:21:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QtaSy8l+BxQEIZH8XJqMmEDU4qI=
 by: Chris - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 22:21 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> asked
>>> The only update method you apologists know is the _primitive_ iOS update
>>> method which no modern operating system would stoop so low as to use.
>>>
>>> Google can autoupdate _any_ Android phone with Google Play Services on it.
>>> That means Google can autoupdate all the way back to Android 4.4, nospam.
>> Autoupdate is NOT a good thing. There seem always to bugs in the
>> initial release of any update. Further, I am still running 10.14 on my
>> Mac mini because I need a 32-bit program that is still in the process of
>> being updated.
>
> I'm not disagreeing with you that major OS releases can and will have bugs.

Which is a clear contradiction to what you've previously stated.

> But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?

Nope. Patch Tuesday is once a month sometimes twice.

> Certainly Google autoupdates billions of Androids every week, does it not?

However, regular security updates are a failure of software quality control
according to you. Why is it OK for microsoft and google, but not Apple??

Re: 15.0 is out

<ir9orkFtngsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=482&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#482

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: 25 Sep 2021 23:15:00 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 23:15 UTC

On 2021-09-25, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> asked

>>> Autoupdate is NOT a good thing. There seem always to bugs in the
>>> initial release of any update. Further, I am still running 10.14 on my
>>> Mac mini because I need a 32-bit program that is still in the process of
>>> being updated.
>>
>> I'm not disagreeing with you that major OS releases can and will have bugs.
>
> Which is a clear contradiction to what you've previously stated.
>
>> But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?
>
> Nope. Patch Tuesday is once a month sometimes twice.
>
>> Certainly Google autoupdates billions of Androids every week, does it not?
>
> However, regular security updates are a failure of software quality control
> according to you. Why is it OK for microsoft and google, but not Apple??

It's bullshit. Anyone who works professionally in software development
will tell you that patch frequency is not a gauge for quality - what
matters most is how well defects are prioritized, and how quickly and
effectively critical defects are fixed.

But Arlen's gotta troll, as he literally has nothing better to do with
his time on Earth.

JR

Re: 15.0 is out

<250920211958457254%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=483&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#483

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 19:58:45 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 23:58 UTC

In article <sio7cf$ioe$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> > But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?
>
> Nope. Patch Tuesday is once a month sometimes twice.

along with numerous minor updates. it's very annoying.

> > Certainly Google autoupdates billions of Androids every week, does it not?
>
> However, regular security updates are a failure of software quality control
> according to you. Why is it OK for microsoft and google, but not Apple??

because he's a troll.

Re: 15.0 is out

<siof7s$16hj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=484&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#484

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 00:35:17 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 00:35 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
>> I'm not disagreeing with you that major OS releases can and will have bugs.
>
> Which is a clear contradiction to what you've previously stated.

If it isn't on an Apple advertisement... you've never heard of it.

The fact is:
To update iOS is to use a child's-toy operating system method of update.

I've never said that major OS release don't have bugs, Chris.
The fact you fabricated it means you form opinions based on zero (0) facts.

Even though Android updates far more intelligently than the laughingly
outdated iOS update method, even those modern Android updates have bugs.

And even though Windows updates in a far more modern way than does the
shockingly primitive iOS update mechanism, Windows too has buggy updates.

In fact, in both cases I'm on record for _reporting_ those bugs (many times)
to the respective newsgroups - who handle it unlike the child-like iOS
groups do.

The response to bugs on the child-like iOS groups is completely different
than the response to bugs on the adult OS newsgroups, Chris.

So for you to fabricate your claims means, yet again, all you apologists
form your entire belief system based on zero (0) actual facts.

>> But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?
>
> Nope. Patch Tuesday is once a month sometimes twice.

True. But mine isn't always updated on the exact day (particularly since
mine is off so it's asynchronous - but the point was that Microsoft uses a
modern automatic update mechanism that puts the ridiculously sophomoric iOS
update mechanism to shame.

To update iOS is to use a child's-toy operating system method of update.

>> Certainly Google autoupdates billions of Androids every week, does it not?
>
> However, regular security updates are a failure of software quality control
> according to you. Why is it OK for microsoft and google, but not Apple??

I don't think you understand Chris that it's Apple who has more zero-day
bugs than any other operating system simply because Apple is a MARKETING
company (they're not an R&D powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination).

What Apple does is advertise by painting sides of buildings, but that's just
bullshit when you look at the laughable iOS update mechanism, Chris.

It would be hilarious, in fact, if it wasn't so sad that iOS must update the
entire operating system for each release (and yes, I know each device gets
its own delta but that doesn't change that the iOS mechanism is monolithic).

Nobody updates an operating system the idiotic way that Apple does, Chris.
Nobody.

If you don't even realize that by now, it just proves how ignorant you are.
The way Google updates Android 12, particularly on Samsung and Pixel
devices, is about as modern as an operation system can be updated, Chris.

Even Microsoft updates Windows in a more modern way than does Apple with iOS
- and the fact you seem to be completely unaware of that would be shocking
except that I'm well aware all you apologists are supremely ignorant.

If it isn't on an Apple advertisement... you've never heard of it.

Re: 15.0 is out

<sioflf$1ada$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=485&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#485

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 00:42:32 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 00:42 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> asked
> It's bullshit. Anyone who works professionally in software development
> will tell you that patch frequency is not a gauge for quality - what
> matters most is how well defects are prioritized, and how quickly and
> effectively critical defects are fixed.

*Nobody has more zero day bugs than does Apple.*
Nobody.

There are so many Apple zero-day bugs that hackers stopped accepting them.

I find it always revealing that apologists like Jolly Roger so easily change
their stripes perpendicular to their previous arguments.

Many times I've said that the apologists argument that "iOS updates
frequently" is the same as saying iOS is a diarrhea of crappy software.

Now, when it suits Jolly Roger, he agrees with me that the frequency of
forced updates that iOS users are forced to endure is indicative of shitty
Quality Control.

Never forget nobody in tech spends LESS than does Apple in R&D (at the same
time that nobody spends more than does Apple in advertising their products).

Apple is all marketing and almost no R&D (which is why the quality control
sucks so badly at Apple - and even Craig Federighi & top Apple engineers
have said so publicly - as we've discussed those letters in gory detail).

Nobody has more zero day bugs than does Apple.

Re: 15.0 is out

<sipg2n$c8u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=486&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#486

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:55:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8yJSJCbeuAGa35GlSZx71Hpl/VU=
 by: Chris - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:55 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
>>> I'm not disagreeing with you that major OS releases can and will have bugs.
>>
>> Which is a clear contradiction to what you've previously stated.
>
> If it isn't on an Apple advertisement... you've never heard of it.

You seem to be unaware that in the UK we're not bombarded with adverts like
you in the US. Apple ads are not very common, some for google and
microsoft. Samsung are much more active.

Quote: Message-Id: <shqvrr$1j81$1@gioia.aioe.org>

>>> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>>>"Apple also has a massive backlog of bugs that it >>> hasnąt fixed,
>>> according to the former employee >>> and a current employee, who also
>>> spoke on the >>> condition of anonymity because of an NDA."
>> that describes every software company.

> No nospam.
> I get it that you blame every software company for > Apple's flaws.

Enjoy wriggling.

> Even though Android updates far more intelligently than the laughingly
> outdated iOS update method, even those modern Android updates have bugs.

I'm glad you're finally acknowledging that.

> And even though Windows updates in a far more modern way than does the
> shockingly primitive iOS update mechanism, Windows too has buggy updates.

I'm glad you're finally acknowledging that.

>>> But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?
>>
>> Nope. Patch Tuesday is once a month sometimes twice.
>
> True. But mine isn't always updated on the exact day (particularly since
> mine is off so it's asynchronous - but the point was

You got it wrong.

> that Microsoft uses a
> modern automatic update mechanism that puts the ridiculously sophomoric iOS
> update mechanism to shame.

Also wrong.

> To update iOS is to use a child's-toy operating system method of update.
>
>>> Certainly Google autoupdates billions of Androids every week, does it not?
>>
>> However, regular security updates are a failure of software quality control
>> according to you. Why is it OK for microsoft and google, but not Apple??
>
> I don't think you understand Chris that it's Apple who has more zero-day
> bugs than any other operating system

You're going to have to back that up with some genuine data.

> simply because Apple is a MARKETING
> company (they're not an R&D powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination).
>
> What Apple does is advertise by painting sides of buildings, but that's just
> bullshit when you look at the laughable iOS update mechanism, Chris.
>
> It would be hilarious, in fact, if it wasn't so sad that iOS must update the
> entire operating system for each release (and yes, I know each device gets
> its own delta but that doesn't change that the iOS mechanism is monolithic).

False. How can it be monolithic AND provide different deltas to different
devices?

Re: 15.0 is out

<siq56t$32i$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=487&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#487

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 15:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ESoMAXhVx5ituEiKvfA17xgDUMQ=
 by: Chris - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 15:56 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <sio7cf$ioe$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>>> But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?
>>
>> Nope. Patch Tuesday is once a month sometimes twice.
>
> along with numerous minor updates. it's very annoying.
>
>>> Certainly Google autoupdates billions of Androids every week, does it not?
>>
>> However, regular security updates are a failure of software quality control
>> according to you. Why is it OK for microsoft and google, but not Apple??
>
> because he's a troll.

An adult troll :D

Re: 15.0 is out

<siq56t$32i$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=488&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#488

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 15:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5M/mgxKHJdW7H2zMnVpuC2L5iRM=
 by: Chris - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 15:56 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> asked
>> It's bullshit. Anyone who works professionally in software development
>> will tell you that patch frequency is not a gauge for quality - what
>> matters most is how well defects are prioritized, and how quickly and
>> effectively critical defects are fixed.
>
> *Nobody has more zero day bugs than does Apple.*
> Nobody.

You can prove that, of course.

> There are so many Apple zero-day bugs that hackers stopped accepting them.
>
> I find it always revealing that apologists like Jolly Roger so easily change
> their stripes perpendicular to their previous arguments.
>
> Many times I've said that the apologists argument that "iOS updates
> frequently" is the same as saying iOS is a diarrhea of crappy software.
>
> Now, when it suits Jolly Roger, he agrees with me that the frequency of
> forced updates that iOS users are forced to endure is indicative of shitty
> Quality Control.

Doubtful as that's a ridiculous position to hold.

Re: 15.0 is out

<irbofcFasldU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=489&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#489

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: 26 Sep 2021 17:20:45 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:20 UTC

On 2021-09-26, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> corrected Arlen's bullshit:
>>>
>>> It's bullshit. Anyone who works professionally in software
>>> development will tell you that patch frequency is not a gauge for
>>> quality - what matters most is how well defects are prioritized, and
>>> how quickly and effectively critical defects are fixed.
>>
>> *Nobody has more zero day bugs than does Apple.* Nobody.
>
> You can prove that, of course.

He can't and won't. He'll lie some more and make more baseless claims,
because: troll.

JR

Re: 15.0 is out

<slrnsl1csg.46g.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=490&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#490

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:53:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:53 UTC

In message <250920211958457254%nospam@nospam.invalid> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <sio7cf$ioe$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>> > But doesn't M$ successfully autoupdate billions of Win10 PCs every week?
>>
>> Nope. Patch Tuesday is once a month sometimes twice.

> along with numerous minor updates. it's very annoying.

And so fucking slow. It took well over two hours to update a client's
server this month with the multiple critical updates for Windows 10.

--
Twentieth century? Why, I could pick a century out of a hat,
blindfolded, and come up with a better one.

Re: 15.0 is out

<siqc95$37o$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=491&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#491

From: bri...@panix.com (Brian Gordon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:56:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Brian Gordon - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:56 UTC

I have several Apple devices, but I do have some concerns about there testing
protocols. Years ago, the software company I was working Software Quality
Assurance at downsized, and all of SQA was laid off -- hooray beancounters.

I applied at Apple, with strong credentials, and couldn't even get an
interview. That suggested to me that software quality wasn't a priority with
them. I've loaded some software that obviously had never even been tried on my
platform, let alone tested. They seem to have adopted the Microsoft model -
charge people to be beta testers.
| Brian Gordon -->briang@panix.com<-- brian dot gordon at cox dot net |
+ bgordon@aol.com Bass: NSC Frank Thorne +

Re: 15.0 is out

<260920211405519656%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=492&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#492

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 14:05:51 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:05 UTC

In article <siqc95$37o$1@reader1.panix.com>, Brian Gordon
<briang@panix.com> wrote:

> I applied at Apple, with strong credentials, and couldn't even get an
> interview. That suggested to me that software quality wasn't a priority with
> them.

no, it just means your credentials weren't as strong as you think.

Re: 15.0 is out

<irbr4qFbdi2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=493&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#493

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: 26 Sep 2021 18:06:18 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:06 UTC

On 2021-09-26, Brian Gordon <briang@panix.com> wrote:

> I applied at Apple, with strong credentials, and couldn't even get an
> interview. That suggested to me that software quality wasn't a
> priority

"A company didn't hire me, which means they don't take software quality
seriously" has to be the biggest shit take I've read this week. : D
Thanks for the laughs!

JR

Re: 15.0 is out

<siqnl9$124j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=494&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#494

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:11:05 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:11 UTC

On 2021-09-26 17:56:53 +0000, Brian Gordon said:

> I have several Apple devices, but I do have some concerns about there testing
> protocols. Years ago, the software company I was working Software Quality
> Assurance at downsized, and all of SQA was laid off -- hooray beancounters.
>
> I applied at Apple, with strong credentials, and couldn't even get an
> interview. That suggested to me that software quality wasn't a priority with
> them. I've loaded some software that obviously had never even been tried on my
> platform, let alone tested. They seem to have adopted the Microsoft model -
> charge people to be beta testers.

It's far from just Apple or even the useless fools at Microsloth.
Pretty much every company does it these days - software and hardware,
tech and non-tech.

My mother has a Samsung "smart"phone and I set up a Calendar reminder
alert to appear every day at 10:30am for a pill she is meant to take,
and it worked okay. BUT this weekend silly Daylight Saving time started
with clocks going forward 1 hour ... and the stupid phone didn't show
the alert until 11:30am, despite the fact that the alarm's settings
still said 10:30am. I've had to change the settings to 9:30am so that
it alerts properly at 10:30am, and will have to change it back again
when silly Daylight Saving ends. :-\

Re: 15.0 is out

<irck5vFg0tpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=495&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#495

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:13:31 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 01:13 UTC

Brian Gordon <briang@panix.com> wrote

> I have several Apple devices, but I do have some concerns about there
> testing
> protocols. Years ago, the software company I was working Software Quality
> Assurance at downsized, and all of SQA was laid off -- hooray
> beancounters.
>
> I applied at Apple, with strong credentials, and couldn't even get an
> interview. That suggested to me that software quality wasn't a priority
> with
> them. I've loaded some software that obviously had never even been tried
> on my
> platform, let alone tested. They seem to have adopted the Microsoft
> model -
> charge people to be beta testers.

They don’t charge anyone and neither did MS with Win10 and 11.

Re: 15.0 is out

<sisjot$j8b$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=496&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#496

From: bri...@panix.com (Brian Gordon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:17:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Brian Gordon - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:17 UTC

In article <irck5vFg0tpU1@mid.individual.net>,
Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>Brian Gordon <briang@panix.com> wrote
> [...]
>> platform, let alone tested. They seem to have adopted the Microsoft
>> model -
>> charge people to be beta testers.
>
>They don�t charge anyone and neither did MS with Win10 and 11.

A matter of opinion. They charge you for a poorly tested product so that you
can use it and find the bugs they didn't. That's pretty much a beta test that
you pay to get.
| Brian Gordon -->briang@panix.com<-- brian dot gordon at cox dot net |
+ bgordon@aol.com Bass: NSC Frank Thorne +

Re: 15.0 is out

<270920211020386235%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=497&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#497

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:20:38 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:20 UTC

In article <sisjot$j8b$1@reader1.panix.com>, Brian Gordon
<briang@panix.com> wrote:

> >> platform, let alone tested. They seem to have adopted the Microsoft
> >> model -
> >> charge people to be beta testers.
> >
> >They don’t charge anyone and neither did MS with Win10 and 11.
> >

> A matter of opinion.

nope. it is flat out wrong.

> They charge you for a poorly tested product so that you
> can use it and find the bugs they didn't. That's pretty much a beta test that
> you pay to get.

there is no payment whatsoever.

Re: 15.0 is out

<sisuti$ue4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=498&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#498

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:27:24 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:27 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
>> If it isn't on an Apple advertisement... you've never heard of it.
>
> You seem to be unaware that in the UK we're not bombarded with adverts like
> you in the US. Apple ads are not very common, some for google and
> microsoft. Samsung are much more active.

Wow.

This is a surprising adult thing for you to say, Chris, as it's an
observation I would be unaware of, given I don't travel to the UK often.

So I do thank you for your adult observations and I appreciate them.

I remember tons of London ads, even on the sides of tall buses, but I didn't
think to look specifically for Apple marketing slogans painted on buildings.

Bear in mind I was using that example to underscore that nobody intelligent
_believes_ anything Apple says (*Nobody lies like Apple lies*) in an ad.

Apple is a Marketing company.

Apple is astoundingly successful at playing on their customers' fears.
In doing so, Apple takes advantage of customers' ignorance of basic facts.

Nobody has more zero-day holes than Apple, and yet, people think otherwise.
That is the result of Apple being a Marketing powerhouse (and not of R&D).

If you sense that I respect the consistently brilliant Apple Marketing team,
you would be correct in that assessment of the formidable power ads wield.

You may also sense that I despise the atrocious lack of Apple software QA.
The reason you have so many emergency software releases is you _need_ them.
>> The fact is:
>> To update iOS is to use a child's-toy operating system method of update.
>>
>> I've never said that major OS release don't have bugs, Chris.
>> The fact you fabricated it means you form opinions based on zero (0) facts.
>
> Quote: Message-Id: <shqvrr$1j81$1@gioia.aioe.org>

Jesus Christ. How _stupid_ can you apologists be when talking to adults?
Did you think I wouldn't look it up Chris?
<http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cshqvrr%241j81%241%40gioia.aioe.org%3E>

You just proved again you apologists form assessments from zero (0) facts.

>>> that describes every software company.
>
>> No nospam.
>> I get it that you blame every software company for > Apple's flaws.
>
> Enjoy wriggling.

What's interesting is you apologists are so much like little children.
1. You formed your opinion based on exactly zero (0) facts.
2. I asked for a reference that was the basis of your (strong) opinion.
3. The cite you gave me didn't support your assessment in the least.
And then... you moron... and then... you said...
4. "Enjoy wriggling"

WTF?

How stupid are you apologists that you _think_ this way?
How old are you Chris? Five?

Seriously.
You're _not_ an adult, Chris.

You just proved your mind is that of a child, Chris.
No adult would have done what you just did, Chris.

>> Even though Android updates far more intelligently than the laughingly
>> outdated iOS update method, even those modern Android updates have bugs.
>
> I'm glad you're finally acknowledging that.

Do you want me to quote what you cited as "proof" I said Android doesn't
have bugs Chris?

Here... here it is...

From: Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: V14.8 released!
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:14:56 +0000

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> asked
>> "Apple also has a massive backlog of bugs that it hasn�t fixed,
>> according to the former employee and a current employee, who also spoke
>> on the condition of anonymity because of an NDA."
>
> that describes every software company.

No nospam.
I get it that you blame every software company for Apple's flaws.

What you don't understand is Apple merely advertises that iOS is secure,
and, for some strange reason, that works for Apple (with their user base).

But intelligent people are aware that there are so many zero-day bugs in
iOS that the hackers stopped accepting them. The flaws in iOS are immense.

*There are huge swaths of iOS code that has _never been tested_ nospam.*
That's how little Apple cares about iOS software QA.
--
Nobody in high tech spends LESS than does Apple on Research & Development.

What ceases to be shocking is that, to you child-like apologists, _that_ is
proof to you that I somehow said no other operating system has bugs than
iOS.

Jesus Christ.
No wonder you defend Apple advertising to the death, Chris.

You don't own a brain that can comprehend adult concepts, Chris.

>> And even though Windows updates in a far more modern way than does the
>> shockingly primitive iOS update mechanism, Windows too has buggy updates.
>
> I'm glad you're finally acknowledging that.

What's shocking is I never said otherwise, and yet, you apologists have
already formed an unshakable opinion based on exactly zero (0) facts.

>> I don't think you understand Chris that it's Apple who has more zero-day
>> bugs than any other operating system
>
> You're going to have to back that up with some genuine data.

It ceases to be shocking that you apologists are ignorant of all facts which
are found _outside_ of an Apple billboard painted on walls of buildings.

The facts have been presented on this ng _many_ times, and in this thread
_multiple_ times, and yet, you apologists form all your assessments based on
exact zero (0) facts.

It's why you are apologists.
Facts instantly destroy your entire imaginary belief systems.

That's why you deny all facts (much like religious zealots & flat earthers).
Facts don't have any place in your completely fabricated belief system.
I could give you so many cites backing up that assessment you would cry.
Here's just one... (which you won't read anyway - apologists rarely do).

*Please stop sending us Apple bugs, we have too many already*
<https://www.cyberscoop.com/ios-zero-day-zerodium-high-supply/>
> False. How can it be monolithic AND provide different deltas to different
> devices?

When will you child like apologists ever comprehend an adult sentence Chris?

Again, you clearly do not even understand how iOS updates, let alone the
modern way that Android 10, 11, and 12 now update (which is fantastic!).
--
Chris is a perfect example of the child-like comprehension of apologists.

Re: 15.0 is out

<sit2bl$mot$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=499&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#499

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:26:06 +0000
References: <sianq1$7qe$1@gioia.aioe.org> <200920211540307192%nospam@nospam.invalid> <siaou8$o4c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <200920211658353642%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sib637$1mag$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sin6t7$hmp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sinbve$n4i$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sio7cf$ioe$1@dont-email.me> <ir9orkFtngsU1@mid.individual.net> <sioflf$1ada$1@gioia.aioe.org> <siq56t$32i$6@dont-email.me> <irbofcFasldU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:26 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> asked
>> You can prove that, of course.
>
> He can't and won't.

Unlike you, I am well educated in the math & science arenas.
People like you apologists couldn't survive a week at that.

Hence I can back up _every_ claim I've made in decades of posting, JR.
That's why you apologists _hate_ fact-based people like I am.

You have absolutely no adult defense to the facts I present about Apple.

> He'll lie some more and make more baseless claims

It ceases to be shocking that you apologists are ignorant of all facts which
are found _outside_ of an Apple billboard painted on walls of buildings.

*Nobody has more zero-day holes than does Apple in their OS's*

Not only have we discussed this, Jolly Roger, in gory detail in the past,
but you apologists have decided to never learn what everyone else knows.

*What the market for zero-day exploits tells us about our phones*
<https://onezero.medium.com/is-android-getting-safer-than-ios-4a2ca6f359d3>

Facts like these facts can't fit into your purely imaginary belief system
(which, interestingly, is cleverly introduced into your head by Apple).

*No, Your iPhone Is Not More Secure Than Android*
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/03/16/iphone-12-pro-max-and-iphone-13-not-more-secure-than-google-and-samsung-android-warns-cyber-billionaire/>

Before you brazenly deny all facts about Apple you happen to hate,
let's see a reliable cite saying Android is _less_ secure than iOS.

*Stop sending us Apple bugs, we have enough already*
<https://www.cyberscoop.com/ios-zero-day-zerodium-high-supply/>

Re: 15.0 is out

<sit2mo$shc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=500&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#500

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:32:01 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:32 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
> You can prove that, of course.

Chris,

Nobody has _ever_ found the facts I've posted to ever be wrong, Chris.
That's not because I'm intelligent - it's because I am an actual adult.

My belief systems are _based_ on facts, Chris.
You can disagree with my factual assessments, Chris - but not the facts.

No adult disagrees on the facts, Chris.
What they differ on is the assessment of those facts.

Because assessments require a weighting system that is individualistic.
But facts are facts are facts are facts.

Only children dispute facts (e.g., "There is a Santa Claus!").

I'm rather well educated at the graduate level in difficult subjects.
You don't succeed in Silicon Valley startups being like you, Chris.

It's only you rather child-like (clearly ignorant) apologists who always
form your entire belief systems about Apple based on exactly zero (0) facts.

It's why you deny all facts you simply _hate_ about Apple products, Chris.
Facts instantly _destroy_ your purely imaginary belief system about Apple.

The imaginary belief system Apple fed you on billboards is a lie, Chris.

*Stop sending us Apple bugs, we have enough already*
<https://www.cyberscoop.com/ios-zero-day-zerodium-high-supply/>

>> Now, when it suits Jolly Roger, he agrees with me that the frequency of
>> forced updates that iOS users are forced to endure is indicative of shitty
>> Quality Control.
>
> Doubtful as that's a ridiculous position to hold.

Children hold "ridiculous positions", Chris.
All the positions of the apologists are "ridiculous position to hold" Chris.

Since their belief systems are purely imaginary, whatever position they hold
makes no sense in the face of facts, as is what is happening here with you.