From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: looking for wx.version
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 01:02:59 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 23 May 2022 15:02 UTC

Trying to run an old media player that seems to have installed itself, I
get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/share/tunapie/Tunapie.py", line 23, in <module>
import wx.version
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx.version'

Wxwidgets seems to have undergone a re-write. A Web search found a
reference to wx-config; I can't find that, either.

Any ideas, please?

Re: looking for wx.version

<t6gb6f$gb5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4778&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4778

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: looking for wx.version
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 16:02:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Mon, 23 May 2022 16:02 UTC

On 2022-05-23, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> Trying to run an old media player that seems to have installed itself, I
> get:

Why not get a new version of that media player?

Do you expect a program written for Windows NT to run on Windows 11?

And what do you mean "installed itself"? If that is really true then you
computer has been invaded, because programs do NOT install themselves.
Eg a Trojan. If you told us what this "old media player" was perhaps
someone could point you to a new version.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/share/tunapie/Tunapie.py", line 23, in <module>
> import wx.version
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx.version'
>
> Wxwidgets seems to have undergone a re-write. A Web search found a
> reference to wx-config; I can't find that, either.

And when was that web page written? (The problem is people do not date
their web pages far too often, so stuff written in 2006 comes up in web
searches.)

> Any ideas, please?

Re: looking for wx.version

<t6gn1v$1171$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4779&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4779

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 05:24:45 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 23 May 2022 19:24 UTC

On 24/5/22 02:02, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2022-05-23, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>> Trying to run an old media player that seems to have installed itself, I
>> get:
>
> Why not get a new version of that media player?
>
> Do you expect a program written for Windows NT to run on Windows 11?
>
> And what do you mean "installed itself"? If that is really true then you
> computer has been invaded, because programs do NOT install themselves.
> Eg a Trojan. If you told us what this "old media player" was perhaps
> someone could point you to a new version.
>

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/usr/local/share/tunapie/Tunapie.py", line 23, in <module>
>> import wx.version
>> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx.version'
>>
>> Wxwidgets seems to have undergone a re-write. A Web search found a
>> reference to wx-config; I can't find that, either.
>
> And when was that web page written? (The problem is people do not date
> their web pages far too often, so stuff written in 2006 comes up in web
> searches.)
>>
>> Any ideas, please?

I have several current media players, but this is a small one that runs
on Linux, and has many FM channels. I haven't used it for a while.

As for installing itself, the program was built entirely within my home
directory, which survives system upgrades.

Re: looking for wx.version

<t6go4j$3bi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4780&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4780

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 19:43:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Mon, 23 May 2022 19:43 UTC

On 2022-05-23, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> On 24/5/22 02:02, William Unruh wrote:
>> On 2022-05-23, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>>> Trying to run an old media player that seems to have installed itself, I
>>> get:
>>
>> Why not get a new version of that media player?
>>
>> Do you expect a program written for Windows NT to run on Windows 11?
>>
>> And what do you mean "installed itself"? If that is really true then you
>> computer has been invaded, because programs do NOT install themselves.
>> Eg a Trojan. If you told us what this "old media player" was perhaps
>> someone could point you to a new version.
>>

>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> File "/usr/local/share/tunapie/Tunapie.py", line 23, in <module>
>>> import wx.version
>>> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx.version'
>>>
>>> Wxwidgets seems to have undergone a re-write. A Web search found a
>>> reference to wx-config; I can't find that, either.
>>
>> And when was that web page written? (The problem is people do not date
>> their web pages far too often, so stuff written in 2006 comes up in web
>> searches.)
>>>
>>> Any ideas, please?
>
> I have several current media players, but this is a small one that runs
> on Linux, and has many FM channels. I haven't used it for a while.

And you still have not told us what it is.

> As for installing itself, the program was built entirely within my home
> directory, which survives system upgrades.

And how is that "installing itself"?
A problem with such programs is precisely that they become unstable
because of changes in libraries, etc.

Re: looking for wx.version

<t731ql$qqh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4809&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4809

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 04:18:59 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 30 May 2022 18:18 UTC

On 24/5/22 05:43, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2022-05-23, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not get a new version of that media player?
>>>
>>> Do you expect a program written for Windows NT to run on Windows 11?
>>>
>>> And what do you mean "installed itself"? If that is really true then you
>>> computer has been invaded, because programs do NOT install themselves.
>>> Eg a Trojan. If you told us what this "old media player" was perhaps
>>> someone could point you to a new version.

>>> And when was that web page written? (The problem is people do not date
>>> their web pages far too often, so stuff written in 2006 comes up in web
>>> searches.)

>> I have several current media players, but this is a small one that runs
>> on Linux, and has many FM channels. I haven't used it for a while.
>
> And you still have not told us what it is.
>

>> As for installing itself, the program was built entirely within my home
>> directory, which survives system upgrades.
>
> And how is that "installing itself"?
> A problem with such programs is precisely that they become unstable
> because of changes in libraries, etc.

There is no wx.version for Python3:

https://discuss.wxpython.org/t/py3-4-and-wx3-importerror-no-module-named-wxversion-release-number-mismatch-etc/29166

I think that I can specify Python 2.7, but really, it isn't worth the
exercise.