Subject: biblatex: How to cite "7th revised impression"?
From: Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 08:34 UTC
From: engelber...@hotmail.com (Dr Engelbert Buxbaum)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 10:34:00 +0200
View all headers

Hi,

the wonders of intellectual activities give the following

@BOOK{Pen-16,
  AUTHOR       = {Penrose, R.},
  TITLE        = {The emperor's new mind},
  YEAR         = {2016},
  PUBLISHER    = {Oxford University Press},
  address      = {Oxford (UK)},
  edition      = {7th revised impression},
}

Using biblatex, of course, this will not give what is intended. I can't
cite the first edition of the book of 1989, for, after all, my copy was
"revised". But it is a new "impression", rather than an "edition". So,
now what do I do?!

Thanks
Engelbert

Subject: Re: biblatex: How to cite "7th revised impression"?
From: Peter Flynn
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:55 UTC
From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:55:28 +0100
View all headers
On 10/05/2022 09:34, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:
the wonders of intellectual activities give the following

@BOOK{Pen-16,
   AUTHOR       = {Penrose, R.},
   TITLE        = {The emperor's new mind},
   YEAR         = {2016},
   PUBLISHER    = {Oxford University Press},
   address      = {Oxford (UK)},
   edition      = {7th revised impression},
}

Using biblatex, of course, this will not give what is intended. I can't
cite the first edition of the book of 1989, for, after all, my copy was
"revised". But it is a new "impression", rather than an "edition". So,
now what do I do?!

According to the biblatex documentation, the 'edition' field must be an integer, so

EDITION = {7},

and you use the 'note' field for anything else:

[...] Publication facts such as “Reprint of the edition London
1831” are typical candidates for the note field.

NOTE = {revised impression},

But this doesn't take account of the note as part of the edition:

Penrose, R. (2016). The emperor’s new mind. 7th ed. revised impression. Oxford (UK): Oxford University Press.

An impression is not an edition, and biblatex probably needs to have a way to deal with this. Rather than add yet another main field, perhaps a key like editiontype (along the lines of editortype) would be useful, eg

EDITIONTYPE = {revised impression}.

You still have to persuade the authors of the formatters to check for it and do something meaningful with it :-) but at least it's now clear that the value belongs to the 'edition' field and not to some other part of the entry.

Perhaps MLA or APA experts could say if this is provided for in those formats.

Peter

From: jfh
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 21:50 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: john.har...@vuw.ac.nz (jfh)
On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 1:55:35 AM UTC+12, peter wrote:
[...]

On the backs of title pages of the books in my office I found 9 different ways to describe a book that wasn't just an unaltered reprint:

Second edition
Revised and enlarged edition
Reprinted with corrections
Reprinted (revised)
Reprinted with additions
Reprinted with additions and corrections
Second impression (revised)
Second impression, revised
Corrected reprint

From: jfh
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 09:48 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 02:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: john.har...@vuw.ac.nz (jfh)
On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 9:50:06 AM UTC+12, jfh wrote:
[...]

I prepared that list before 2018. Since then I have found another oddity, in two copies of  a book that say the same thing on the backs of their title pages:

This edition published 2018

but the one I bought this year contains some corrections that the other does not!