Subject: Re: How Many Contributors?
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 20:34:00 -0400
 by: bad sector - Fri, 2 Apr 2021 00:34 UTC

On 3/23/21 5:32 PM, F Russell wrote:
> How many "contributors" (I use the term loosely) participate in
> this group? All I see are the same 5-6 nyms over and over and over.
>
> Of course, it is no secret that Usenet has been mostly abandoned,
> but all those who actually believe that web forums, sponsored by
> grubbing commercial enterprises, somehow represent the future are only
> revealing their totally stupid and deluded natures.
>
> Usenet must be revitalized. That may be just a pipe dream but
> it nonetheless represents the reality.

Unless I'm confusing it with the old compuserve
or something I remember a usenet where one could
even post small attachments, there was a level of
self-discipline. If the usenet server operators got
together to allow this, to filter what is obviously spam
& crap and replace what once was spontaneous, and
to maybe allow ads that are as small as the allowed
attachments things could be revived. Or am I just too
naive? Be that as it may, the present course is right
to the cliffs, usenet is going to be unadvertised,
flooded by the insane and slowly abandoned by
the aging old timers.

Re: How Many Contributors?

<s45rha$aug$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4851&group=comp.os.linux.misc#4851

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 18:20:42 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Fri, 2 Apr 2021 01:20 UTC

On 4/1/21 5:34 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 3/23/21 5:32 PM, F Russell wrote:
>> How many "contributors" (I use the term loosely) participate in
>> this group?  All I see are the same 5-6 nyms over and over and over.
>>
>> Of course, it is no secret that Usenet has been mostly abandoned,
>> but all those who actually believe that web forums, sponsored by
>> grubbing commercial enterprises, somehow represent the future are only
>> revealing their totally stupid and deluded natures.
>>
>> Usenet must be revitalized.  That may be just a pipe dream but
>> it nonetheless represents the reality.
>
> Unless I'm confusing it with the old compuserve
> or something I remember a usenet where one could
> even post small attachments, there was a level of
> self-discipline. If the usenet server operators got
> together to allow this, to filter what is obviously spam
> & crap and replace what once was spontaneous, and
> to maybe allow ads that are as small as the allowed
> attachments things could be revived. Or am I just too
> naive? Be that as it may, the present course is right
> to the cliffs, usenet is going to be unadvertised,
> flooded by the insane and slowly abandoned by
> the aging old timers.
I remember small attachments which had to be
uuencoded, might take several posts to complete and
had to be collated and uudecoded. Then they were generally
of very little interest even to fans like me.

As for self-discipline it was largely absent in
advocaty newsgroup which tended to spill into other
newsgroups. Advertisements on other net platforms
is why I am happy to stay with Usenet but as you
say you may be mis-remembering.

Usenet may die but it will go down without
the scruff I see daily elsewhere.

bliss- who learned so much about Amiga on the Usenet.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com