From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: [OT] DVD burning some ponderings
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:12:48 +1000
 by: faeychild - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 01:12 UTC

I know that the technology is becoming obsolete but this morning a
burned a disk for a neighbour and was reminded of various things.

First dvdstyler does not run under MGA8, I have to boot into MGA6.

I have not noticed previously the overhead with DVD files
The mp4 movie file was 1.7 gig. After authoring with one stereo sound
channel, a title screen and play button, no chapters or subtitling, the
"iso" file size was 7.4 gig and required a dual layer disc

I chose the slowest burning speed but the drive vibration was still
pretty fierce. I wonder how much this compromises the laser tracking
system and the playability of the disc.
All disc players had some vibration, but vibration while burning could
only exacerbate tracking errors.

Of course it is rapidly becoming old tech now and the quirks are moot
even though it is still almost magical how it works

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.46-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.

Re: [OT] DVD burning some ponderings

<t963cl$5s3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4870&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4870

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: [OT] DVD burning some ponderings
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 21:36:32 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 04:36 UTC

On 6/24/22 18:12, faeychild wrote:

> I know that the technology is becoming obsolete but this morning a
> burned a disk for a neighbour and was reminded of various things.
>
> First dvdstyler does not run under MGA8, I have to boot into MGA6.
>
> I have not noticed previously the overhead with DVD files
>  The mp4 movie file was 1.7 gig. After authoring with one stereo sound
> channel, a title screen and play button, no chapters or subtitling, the
> "iso" file size was 7.4 gig and required a dual layer disc

That is why Video Compression was invented. I have made an .iso
file of a single older anime 4 episode with some extra material and it
ran pretty well from the .iso file using the Menu and so forth. But I
guess I mislaid it which is sensible since it was only a trial. Most
modern DVDs have some form of copy protection and when I was younger and
I bought programs to defeat such protection on the floppies of my
program files but I am past such interest or exertion now/

> I chose the slowest burning speed but the drive vibration was still
> pretty fierce. I wonder how much this compromises the laser tracking
> system and the playability of the disc.
> All disc players had some vibration, but vibration while burning could
> only exacerbate tracking errors.
>
> Of course it is rapidly becoming old tech now and the quirks are moot
> even though it is still almost magical how it works

You can replace the drive cheaply enough whether it is in a laptop or
in a larger case. I have replaced and swapped out DVD R/W
drives in all but my latest which is free of rotating encumbrance but
does have a USB 3 port to which a DVD R/R drive may be attached which
will be only slightly more expensive than the same item in good used
condition. I downloaded the manuals so that I could understand the
procedures.

I am setting up my faster Notebook and having a few minor problems but
when I do have the older E6540 I may swap out the
DVD there for a drive caddy so that I can have backups in one
box. Of course the 6540 has some age on it so maybe I should not
pump cash into keeping it going.

bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS,
the Perfect Computer Linux Operating System,
and a minor case of hypergraphia.
--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: [OT] DVD burning some ponderings

<t96798$n41$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4872&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4872

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 05:43:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 05:43 UTC

On 2022-06-25, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> I know that the technology is becoming obsolete but this morning a
> burned a disk for a neighbour and was reminded of various things.
>
> First dvdstyler does not run under MGA8, I have to boot into MGA6.
>
> I have not noticed previously the overhead with DVD files
> The mp4 movie file was 1.7 gig. After authoring with one stereo sound
> channel, a title screen and play button, no chapters or subtitling, the
> "iso" file size was 7.4 gig and required a dual layer disc

That is not dvdfiles overhead. that is your program you are using to
make the dvd file.

> I chose the slowest burning speed but the drive vibration was still
> pretty fierce. I wonder how much this compromises the laser tracking

Sounds like you burner is going. Or you bought offcenter disks.