You have junk mail.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

SubjectAuthor
* Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
+* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?David E. Ross
|`* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
| +* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Stan Brown
| |`* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
| | `- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Stan Brown
| `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?David E. Ross
|  `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
|   +* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Brian Gregory
|   |`* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
|   | `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?R.Wieser
|   |  `- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Mark Lloyd
|   `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Daniel65
|    `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
|     `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Brian Gregory
|      `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
|       +- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Mayayana
|       +- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Char Jackson
|       `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Brian Gregory
|        `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Brian Gregory
|         `- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Ken Blake
+* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Ken Blake
|+- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
|+* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
||+- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
||`- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?pyotr filipivich
|+- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?JJ
|`* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?s|b
| `- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Mark Lloyd
+* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Paul in Houston TX
|`- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?JJ
+- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Mayayana
+* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?s|b
|`* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?David E. Ross
| +* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
| |`* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?David E. Ross
| | `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
| |  +* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?gfretwell
| |  |`- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
| |  `- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Mark Lloyd
| `* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?s|b
|  `- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Mayayana
+- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?Johnny
+- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?merle
`* Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?sumbuddy
 `- Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?sticks

Pages:12
Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<t3vchht3bndpr4hn2of41bnban4klet99f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4827&group=alt.windows7.general#4827

From: mer...@frisco.org
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 17:53:22 -0500
 by: mer...@frisco.org - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 22:53 UTC

On Mon, 05 Sep 2022 17:41:59 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Sep 2022 16:17:57 -0500, merle@frisco.org wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:56:55 -0700, "David E. Ross"
>><nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>>>I experience more TV ads for DuckDuckGo than radio ads. They pay for
>>>the ads by having NON-TARGETED advertisements at the start of their
>>>search results.
>>>
>>>My entire working career was with creating (4+ years) and testing (30+
>>>years) software. I have a PC but no mobile phone. When I leave my
>>>house, I want to leave the phones behind me. My wife has a "dumb"
>>>phone, which she uses only to make and receive phone calls.
>>
>>I think a portable type phone is an absolute necessity in this
>>present day dangerous world. It's also super handy for common everyday
>>happenings.
>>
>>I had an old flip phone which only did phone calls. It did have
>>texting capability, which I had Verizon turn off years ago because of
>>the damn spam. I also dumped texting because I TALK to people, and I
>>expect them to TALK to me, not leave me printed notes.
>>
>>Verizon with their move to 5G killed my old flip and sent me an eTalk
>>p.o.s. that sucks in so many ways - which I ain't gonna waste my time
>>explaining.
>
>Yeah, I got one of those too and Verison said not to bother sending it
>back. They don't think it is worth the postage., I have a Mil-spec
>rugged flipper that goes away with 3G. I am looking for another one.
>No clue on a better engine. I am playing with SlimJet browser and that
>has a search. It is supposed to be private but I don't believe them.

I, for the most part, gave up on "their" security. I go into the
browser or the search engine menu a number of times while on the Web
and delete stuff myself. I also use a much older version of Ccleaner
to wipe a number of times during browsing. I try not to let cookies
or other bummer stuff remain too long on my computer. Let's face it,
this "security" stuff can drive one weird. Last word - you can stifle
the Black Hats for a while, but eventually they catch up with you with
"updates". I just luv "updates". Updates are usually just another
screw job that they've enhanced for further screwing you.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<MPG.3d80d2ec5fa6760c98ff99@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4828&group=alt.windows7.general#4828

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 04:46:28 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 11:46 UTC

On Mon, 05 Sep 2022 14:10:30 -0500, merle@frisco.org wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 10:32:45 -0700, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 04 Sep 2022 19:17:14 -0500, merle@frisco.org wrote:
> >> They have no 'right' to change my settings in their Settings menu. Why
> >> in the heck do those "privacy" settings exist in the Menu if they are
> >> to be changed back to duckduckgo's default nonsense?
> >
> >Which settings does DuckDuckGo change?
>
> These settings from All Settings menu keep reverting
> back to ON from my OFF setting.

> If you still want to support us, help spread DuckDuckGo
> ---------
> Install DuckDuckGo
>
> Shows links to instructions for how to add DuckDuckGo to your browser
>
> Shows occasional reminders to add DuckDuckGo to your browser
> -------
> Privacy Newsletters
>
> Shows sign-up form for the DuckDuckGo privacy newsletters
> --------
> Shows occasional reminders to sign up for the DuckDuckGo privacy
> newsletters
> --------
> Homepage Privacy Tips
>
> Shows the privacy benefits of using DuckDuckGo on the homepage
> --------
> Help Improve DuckDuckGo
>
> It's okay to (very infrequently) ask me about my experience using
> DuckDuckGo
> --------

Thank you. I thought you were saying DDG changes _Windows_ settings.
But I agree it's also inappropriate for it to change its own
settings.

Have others experienced this too?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<tf7ci6$3tac2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4829&group=alt.windows7.general#4829

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:56:54 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 11:56 UTC

merle@frisco.org wrote on 6/9/22 5:16 am:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 11:49:50 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 9/4/2022 5:17 PM, merle@frisco.org wrote:

>>> They have no 'right' to change my settings in their Settings menu. Why
>>> in the heck do those "privacy" settings exist in the Menu if they are
>>> to be changed back to duckduckgo's default nonsense?
>>>
>>> That little game is enough for me not to further trust them.
>>>

>> By any chance, do you clear all your cookies upon terminating your
>> browser? Or have you locked the file containing cookies as "read-only"?
>> If so, that is why your settings do not persist. The settings are
>> recorded as cookies.
>
> Yeah, I got the cookie dumping setting set to dump them.
> It works.
>
> It's duckduckgo's personal junk that is the problem.
> I don't want to see their nonsense filling my screen.
>
> See my reply to Stan Brown.

As David sort of suggests, wouldn't it seem reasonable to disable your
'cookie dumping setting set to dump them', so that

1. you can change your Firefox setting, such as setting up DuckDuckGo
the way you want it,

2. exit Firefox,

3. then re-start Firefox,

4. then re-enable your 'cookie dumping setting set to dump them.'

so that the stuff in your cookies file is as you require it.
--
Daniel

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<j0uehhlsrmlttb48mqdem6lltbimlvrkfp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4833&group=alt.windows7.general#4833

From: mer...@frisco.org
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 11:47:04 -0500
 by: mer...@frisco.org - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 16:47 UTC

On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:56:54 +1000, Daniel65
<daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

Del

You must have missed my post to

>> Yeah, I got the cookie dumping setting set to dump them.
>> It works.
>>
>> It's duckduckgo's personal junk that is the problem.
>> I don't want to see their nonsense filling my screen.
>>
>> See my reply to Stan Brown.
>>
>As David sort of suggests, wouldn't it seem reasonable to disable your
>'cookie dumping setting set to dump them', so that
>
>1. you can change your Firefox setting, such as setting up DuckDuckGo
>the way you want it,
>
>2. exit Firefox,
>
>3. then re-start Firefox,
>
>4. then re-enable your 'cookie dumping setting set to dump them.'
>
>so that the stuff in your cookies file is as you require it.

You must have missed my post to Stan. Cookies deletion ain't the
problem. It's Duck's own ads that keep reverting back to ON.

Repeating the post:

[...]

<20220906115420.7d546b28@jmapc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4834&group=alt.windows7.general#4834

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 11:54:20 -0500
 by: Johnny - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 16:54 UTC

merle@frisco.org wrote:

> I'm sick of all their ad junk on their page. I use Settings to get
> rid of it, but the stuff comes back each time. Also, the damn
> Settings undo my choices each time I load Firefox.
>
> This happens with both my XP machine and my wife's Win 7 comp.
>
> Is there another choice for another seach page?

I use duckduckgo and I have never seen any ads.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<jnpjfcFdn16U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4835&group=alt.windows7.general#4835

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 20:56:43 +0200
 by: s|b - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 18:56 UTC

On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 12:42:47 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

> It appears that is not about using DuckDuckGo for searching. It seems
> to be only about using DuckDuckGo's mobile browser.

True, but it shows their intentions, right? For me, it is more than
reason enough not to use their search engine (IF I were to use it).

--
s|b

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<tf86ir$r36$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4836&group=alt.windows7.general#4836

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:20:33 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:20 UTC

Merle,

>>So if you dump their settings how do you expect them to be
>>magically remembered?
>
> Don't quite understand your reply.

The problem is that those settings that you changed are saved on *your*
computer (not theirs) in the form of a "cookie". When you have set your
browser to throw all cookies away when you close it than the cookie with
those settings *also* gets thrown away.

Imagine it like this : You're working and put stuff you need to remember on
post-its, and put those on your monitor. Than you go home and the cleaning
crew comes in. Who have been ordered to clean your desk. Who than remove
the post-its and throw them away. And the next day you complain that those
post-its are gone, write new ones and again put them up. Only to again see
them gone the next day.

IOW, you need to find something that will allow you do keep the post-its
(cookies) you need, and lte the cleaners throw the rest away.

I do not know which version of FF you run and if a cookie-handler add-on is
available for it. I suggest you do some googeling and/or ask about it in
the alt.comp.software.firefox newsgroup.

And in the mean time you have to choose what you find more important : that
all your cookies are thrown away, or that the settings you made today are
still there tomorrow.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<XANRK.177958$PRW4.42979@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4837&group=alt.windows7.general#4837

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:55:35 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:55 UTC

On 9/5/22 14:15, s|b wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2022 16:14:27 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I use and like StartPage, which is a front-end for Google.
>
> +1
>
> I used to use Scroogle and switched to Startpage as soon as it came
> available.

That's what I've been doing too. IIRC, I didn't get to use Scroogle very
long.

110 days until the winter celebration (Sunday, December 25, 2022
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The following talk show contains no dysfunctional families, no
humiliating stereotypes, no lewd behavior, and absolutely no
confrontational violence... we apologize for any inconvenience."

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<tINRK.32316$kEr7.1907@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4838&group=alt.windows7.general#4838

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 15:03:33 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:03 UTC

On 9/5/22 16:17, merle@frisco.org wrote:

[snip]

> I think a portable type phone is an absolute necessity in this
> present day dangerous world. It's also super handy for common everyday
> happenings.
>
> I had an old flip phone which only did phone calls. It did have
> texting capability, which I had Verizon turn off years ago because of
> the damn spam. I also dumped texting because I TALK to people, and I
> expect them to TALK to me, not leave me printed notes.

The phone will usually have a camera, which can be a good thing to have.

> Verizon with their move to 5G killed my old flip and sent me an eTalk
> p.o.s. that sucks in so many ways - which I ain't gonna waste my time
> explaining.

I know someone who had a eTalk phone, and didn't like it either. Another
POS I used to have was Alcatel.

The flip-phone I have now is TCL, and seems to be a good one.

110 days until the winter celebration (Sunday, December 25, 2022
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The following talk show contains no dysfunctional families, no
humiliating stereotypes, no lewd behavior, and absolutely no
confrontational violence... we apologize for any inconvenience."

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<ZPNRK.83575$elEa.60328@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4839&group=alt.windows7.general#4839

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 15:11:36 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:11 UTC

[snip]

> The problem is that those settings that you changed are saved on *your*
> computer (not theirs) in the form of a "cookie". When you have set your
> browser to throw all cookies away when you close it than the cookie with
> those settings *also* gets thrown away.

I use Firefox, and set to to remove cookies on exit. It's getting harder
to find that setting (you start by clicking the padlock icon on the
address bar), but you can make exceptions to that rule (dump cookies
EXCEPT for those from /duckduckgo.com).

110 days until the winter celebration (Sunday, December 25, 2022
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The following talk show contains no dysfunctional families, no
humiliating stereotypes, no lewd behavior, and absolutely no
confrontational violence... we apologize for any inconvenience."

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<jnpocvFeeoqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4840&group=alt.windows7.general#4840

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:20:47 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:20 UTC

On 06/09/2022 17:47, merle@frisco.org wrote:
> You must have missed my post to Stan. Cookies deletion ain't the
> problem. It's Duck's own ads that keep reverting back to ON.
Where are these settings stored?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<qbhfhhpneu9nf81fuc3au0mtgb5pl5m4p8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4841&group=alt.windows7.general#4841

From: mer...@frisco.org
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 17:11:38 -0500
 by: mer...@frisco.org - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 22:11 UTC

On Sun, 04 Sep 2022 15:51:13 -0500, merle@frisco.org wrote:

>I'm sick of all their ad junk on their page. I use Settings to get
>rid of it, but the stuff comes back each time. Also, the damn
>Settings undo my choices each time I load Firefox.
>
>This happens with both my XP machine and my wife's Win 7 comp.
>
>Is there another choice for another seach page?

If you go to alt.binaries.luser - which kinda describes my handling of
these posts, you will find a string of pics showing exactly what I see
on the Duck search page.

I did the page in sections 'cause I didn't have a clue how to make one
big file showing the entire page.

If one clicks on that dot-over-a-straight-line icon at the upper
right, the page will shrink to merely showing the search engine. But
why should I have to click on that icon all the time?

By the way, these pics were taken as displayed in MyPal browser using
XP. But It is the same on my wife's Win 7 machine using her Firefox
browser.

The nonsense of Duck changing my options regarding their ads and
notifications in their All Setting Menu, plus this damn page where I
have to click an icon to get rid of a full page of their ads - sucks!

And their plethora of radio and tv ads kinda shows me they are a
mini-Google hoping one day to be a mega-Google - and they ain't gonna
reach that point unless they give in to the Power$ that be.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<0jhfhhl1vjhdrt8jaige1i2085u2h1jaed@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4842&group=alt.windows7.general#4842

From: mer...@frisco.org
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 17:16:39 -0500
 by: mer...@frisco.org - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 22:16 UTC

On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:20:47 +0100, Brian Gregory
<void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

>On 06/09/2022 17:47, merle@frisco.org wrote:
>> You must have missed my post to Stan. Cookies deletion ain't the
>> problem. It's Duck's own ads that keep reverting back to ON.
>Where are these settings stored?

In the menu on the upper right which looks like three lines over each
other.

Then click All Settings.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<tf8o8u$1ju0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4843&group=alt.windows7.general#4843

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:21:58 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 00:21 UTC

"s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote

| > It appears that is not about using DuckDuckGo for searching. It seems
| > to be only about using DuckDuckGo's mobile browser.
| | True, but it shows their intentions, right? For me, it is more than
| reason enough not to use their search engine (IF I were to use it).

That was a sneaky news piece. The search engine is not
spying. The DDG browser allows tracking by MS domains as part
of their contract. Anyone who uses LinkedIn or allows bing ads
to appear already doesn't care about privacy... And it
has nothing to do with search.

Granted, the behavior is not in accord with DDDG's marketing
image. But it's far less serious than it was made out to be. And
compared to anything else... Would you rather have the likes of
Google or Apple tracking you?

It just doesn't work to expect privacy from a company. They
can't do it, even if they want to. Google is tracking on nearly
every commercial website. Adobe. Facebook. Various data collection
companies. Many sites now are rigged to be broken if you don't
allow script. DDG is private search, but you can't expect them to
keep you private online. For that you need NoScript, maybe
uBlock Origin, maybe a good HOSTS file.... And the OP couldn't care
less about privacy. He actually wants DDG to track him so that
he can set preferences on their search page. In short, he's the
typical online person who wants to be catered to and doesn't
think he should have to understand anything.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<tf8oe0$1kba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4844&group=alt.windows7.general#4844

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:24:40 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 00:24 UTC

<merle@frisco.org> wrote

>> Cookies deletion ain't the
| >> problem. It's Duck's own ads that keep reverting back to ON.
| >Where are these settings stored?
| | In the menu on the upper right which looks like three lines over each
| other.
| | Then click All Settings.

Maybe try squirting a little Elmers glue between the
bars in that settings icon. That should make them stick.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<ol0ghh952huo0rfc1vpjioid620e5nha0c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4845&group=alt.windows7.general#4845

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 21:33:37 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 02:33 UTC

On Tue, 06 Sep 2022 17:16:39 -0500, merle@frisco.org wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:20:47 +0100, Brian Gregory
><void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 06/09/2022 17:47, merle@frisco.org wrote:
>>> You must have missed my post to Stan. Cookies deletion ain't the
>>> problem. It's Duck's own ads that keep reverting back to ON.
>>Where are these settings stored?
>
>In the menu on the upper right which looks like three lines over each
>other.
>
>Then click All Settings.

That describes the 'hamburger' icon and sounds like the place where
settings would be _accessed_, not where settings are stored.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<jnrqlhFod17U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4846&group=alt.windows7.general#4846

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:11:45 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:11 UTC

On 06/09/2022 23:16, merle@frisco.org wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:20:47 +0100, Brian Gregory
> <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 06/09/2022 17:47, merle@frisco.org wrote:
>>> You must have missed my post to Stan. Cookies deletion ain't the
>>> problem. It's Duck's own ads that keep reverting back to ON.
>> Where are these settings stored?
>
> In the menu on the upper right which looks like three lines over each
> other.
>
> Then click All Settings.

Where are they remembered? What is getting cleared rather than remembered?
Probably cookies.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<jnrqtdFod17U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4847&group=alt.windows7.general#4847

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:15:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:15 UTC

On 07/09/2022 16:11, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 06/09/2022 23:16, merle@frisco.org wrote:
>> In the menu on the upper right which looks like three lines over each
>> other.
>>
>> Then click All Settings.
>
> Where are they remembered? What is getting cleared rather than remembered?
> Probably cookies.

Or are you saying it ignores the cookie that says you chose no adverts?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<k1fhhh1gsple3895g0klihfpq6i201b89e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4848&group=alt.windows7.general#4848

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 08:46:23 -0700
References: <tg3ahht96cca582e9jgggov1dhr9evqkas@4ax.com> <tf33hd$13ba$1@gioia.aioe.org> <lqfahhtt8mgkmjq9u0sa9u0jic2hfhf012@4ax.com> <tf5gce$1qv5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <meichh14hl2dqqg1hbgju3r5hm8gtm65to@4ax.com> <tf7ci6$3tac2$1@dont-email.me> <j0uehhlsrmlttb48mqdem6lltbimlvrkfp@4ax.com> <jnpocvFeeoqU1@mid.individual.net> <0jhfhhl1vjhdrt8jaige1i2085u2h1jaed@4ax.com> <jnrqlhFod17U1@mid.individual.net> <jnrqtdFod17U2@mid.individual.net>
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:46 UTC

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:15:57 +0100, Brian Gregory
<void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

Not having used DuckDuckGo in a while, I decided to give it another
try. Sometimes my opinion changes and sometimes the software changes.

I set Firefox's default to use it instead of StartPage.

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<XnsAF146B2A4195Bsumbuddy1282sSSOMPLA@46.165.242.91>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4875&group=alt.windows7.general#4875

From: sumbu...@yahoo.com (sumbuddy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:32:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: sumbuddy - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:32 UTC

merle@frisco.org wrote in news:tg3ahht96cca582e9jgggov1dhr9evqkas@4ax.com:

> I'm sick of all their ad junk on their page. I use Settings to get
> rid of it, but the stuff comes back each time. Also, the damn
> Settings undo my choices each time I load Firefox.
>
> This happens with both my XP machine and my wife's Win 7 comp.
>
> Is there another choice for another seach page?

https://www.presearch.org
www.metager.org

Re: Choice other than duckduckgo?

<tg0p0f$3id7g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4876&group=alt.windows7.general#4876

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 22:02:40 -0500
 by: sticks - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 03:02 UTC

On 9/15/2022 9:32 PM, sumbuddy wrote:
> merle@frisco.org wrote in news:tg3ahht96cca582e9jgggov1dhr9evqkas@4ax.com:
>
>> I'm sick of all their ad junk on their page. I use Settings to get
>> rid of it, but the stuff comes back each time. Also, the damn
>> Settings undo my choices each time I load Firefox.
>>
>> This happens with both my XP machine and my wife's Win 7 comp.
>>
>> Is there another choice for another seach page?
>>

> https://www.presearch.org
> www.metager.org

First time I've seen these two. Did a test search and found the results
quite promising as far as not having bias. Definitely worth looking
into more.