It's time to boot, do your boot ROMs know where your disk controllers are?

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80sAnt
+* Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computersJan Poulsen
|`- Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the radYour Name
+* Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the radGordon Henderson
|`* Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the radYour Name
| `* Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the radGordon Henderson
|  `- Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the radYour Name
`- Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computersYK

1
Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<d4mcnZ2x5Pa74sD-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4868&group=comp.sys.apple2#4868

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 19:29:42 +0000
 by: Ant - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 19:29 UTC

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
--
Amazingly, no naps for three days. How long will this streak last? Overnight hibernations like from last night's 10:10:10:10 PM PDT to 6:40 AM PDT with a couple short wake ups (no peeing too!). "I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God ??? this is your spiritual act of worship." --Romans 12:1
| |o o| |

Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<tjlgh0$34hv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4871&group=comp.sys.apple2#4871

From: jpo...@tiggr.dk (Jan Poulsen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers
during the rad 80s?
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 10:35:28 +0100
 by: Jan Poulsen - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 09:35 UTC

On 29/10/2022 21.29, Ant wrote:
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

In 1980, I was a freshman at Davis High School in Kaysville, UT. I had
a maths teacher who was very interested in computers, and with his own
money, he bought an Apple II which he brought to our school to teach
computers. We also had access to an IBM S/360, but it was a lot more
cumbersome to work with, so the Apple was soon a favorite for all, and
the school recognized the value of the computer class and bought another
five Apple IIs.

After a few months, I had learned enough about Applesoft and Integer
Basic, that there wasn't more my teacher could teach me, so a junior and
I became friends, and started learning Pascal and 6502 Assembler. Our
teacher recognized this and asked us both to be tutors for students with
difficulty learning the Apple, and as teachers for those who wanted more
advanced knowledge of the Apple, so from early 1981 to summer 1982, my
friend and I tutored, taught Apple Pascal and 6502 assembler.

As mentioned, our teacher was also teaching maths, and in my sophomore
year, my friend and I were taking analytical geometry. Neither of us
liked all the work, solving the equations and creating 3D graphs of the
result, so we decided to "teach" the Apple how to do it and then just
copy the answers to paper. And then ... we got found out. We were both
sure we would be suspended and have to retake the course. But to our
luck, our teacher understood that to program the computer to solve the
maths, we would have had to fully understand it, and we both ended up
getting 'A's in both maths and computer. :-)

I still write programs in 6502 assembler, just for fun, and to keep the
old brain cells working :-)

--
Jan Poulsen

Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<tjmomu$joe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4875&group=comp.sys.apple2#4875

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:01:18 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:01 UTC

On 2022-10-30 09:35:28 +0000, Jan Poulsen said:

> On 29/10/2022 21.29, Ant wrote:
>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
>
> In 1980, I was a freshman at Davis High School in Kaysville, UT. I had
> a maths teacher who was very interested in computers, and with his own
> money, he bought an Apple II which he brought to our school to teach
> computers. We also had access to an IBM S/360, but it was a lot more
> cumbersome to work with, so the Apple was soon a favorite for all, and
> the school recognized the value of the computer class and bought
> another five Apple IIs.
>
> After a few months, I had learned enough about Applesoft and Integer
> Basic, that there wasn't more my teacher could teach me, so a junior
> and I became friends, and started learning Pascal and 6502 Assembler.
> Our teacher recognized this and asked us both to be tutors for students
> with difficulty learning the Apple, and as teachers for those who
> wanted more advanced knowledge of the Apple, so from early 1981 to
> summer 1982, my friend and I tutored, taught Apple Pascal and 6502
> assembler.
>
> As mentioned, our teacher was also teaching maths, and in my sophomore
> year, my friend and I were taking analytical geometry. Neither of us
> liked all the work, solving the equations and creating 3D graphs of the
> result, so we decided to "teach" the Apple how to do it and then just
> copy the answers to paper. And then ... we got found out. We were
> both sure we would be suspended and have to retake the course. But to
> our luck, our teacher understood that to program the computer to solve
> the maths, we would have had to fully understand it, and we both ended
> up getting 'A's in both maths and computer. :-)
>
> I still write programs in 6502 assembler, just for fun, and to keep the
> old brain cells working :-)

My first year at high school they had *one* Commodore PET computer that
was used by the office staff and occasionally trundled around on a
trolley to mathematics classes so students could see what a desktop
copmuter looked like (and weren't allowed to touch it). The school ran
a "job day" scheme to raise money for a computer room by doing jobs
like garden weeding, car washing, etc. for lcal businesses and
individuals.

The following year the school had a computer classroom full of Apple II
computers with good size monitors (not the little black and white
displays), rumouredly the largest school computer room in the country
or even Southern Hemisphere. I can't remember how many, but there was a
set of compuetrs on either side of two long tables, i.e. four rows - it
may have been 20 or 24. At the top of the class was a third table which
originally had the teacher's Apple II with had a network drive. Later
on the student computers each got their own floopy drives and there
were various upgrades over the years to Apple IIe, and a couple of
Apple III machines. Not long after I left it was the "bad years" at
Apple and I think they started moving to DOS and Windows PCs instead.

Similarly, when I went to univeristy, it was the first year they had
the main computer science lab full of Apple Mac computers. That was a
huge room with lots of Mac 128K machines (again slowly updated over the
years to various all-in-one Classic models) and a Mac XL or Lisa at the
door for students to book their timeslots for using the lab Macs.

Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<tjmpt7$9f07$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4876&group=comp.sys.apple2#4876

From: gordon+u...@drogon.net (Gordon Henderson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:21:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gordon Henderson - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:21 UTC

Not the 80s but I was a pupil in '78 when we got an Apple II - the school
and the rest of the region then got heavilly into Apple IIs for a good
few years (I went to uni in 1980)

This was in Scotland.

-Gordon

Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<tjn2nj$9mu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4878&group=comp.sys.apple2#4878

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:52:19 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 23:52 UTC

On 2022-10-30 21:21:43 +0000, Gordon Henderson said:

> Not the 80s but I was a pupil in '78 when we got an Apple II - the school
> and the rest of the region then got heavilly into Apple IIs for a good
> few years (I went to uni in 1980)
>
> This was in Scotland.
>
> -Gordon

Apple offered (and still does) comparatively good discounts for
education, as well as government, non-profit, and military buyers. Many
schools and universities started using Apple equipment in the days of
the Apple II and early Mac ... until the "bad days" when Apple was
almost bankrupt and many started switching over to Windoze PCs instead.

Now thanks to the iPad, Apple has again become popular, with many
schools stating the iPad is the preferred device for kids to use at
school.

Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<tjph1i$j21l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4882&group=comp.sys.apple2#4882

From: gordon+u...@drogon.net (Gordon Henderson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:08:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gordon Henderson - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:08 UTC

In article <tjn2nj$9mu$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>On 2022-10-30 21:21:43 +0000, Gordon Henderson said:
>
>> Not the 80s but I was a pupil in '78 when we got an Apple II - the school
>> and the rest of the region then got heavilly into Apple IIs for a good
>> few years (I went to uni in 1980)
>>
>> This was in Scotland.
>>
>> -Gordon
>
>Apple offered (and still does) comparatively good discounts for
>education, as well as government, non-profit, and military buyers. Many
>schools and universities started using Apple equipment in the days of
>the Apple II and early Mac ... until the "bad days" when Apple was
>almost bankrupt and many started switching over to Windoze PCs instead.

Not quite the story in the UK where Apple's were (still are) stupidly
expensive, but in the early 80's the BBC announced it's Computer Literacy
Project and the BBC Micro was quickly adopted by schools all over the UK.

Even working as a research student then I couldn't afford an Apple II
or a //gs so it was a BBC Micro for me.

Gordon

Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<tjpnp6$1oa1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4883&group=comp.sys.apple2#4883

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 13:03:50 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 00:03 UTC

On 2022-10-31 22:08:50 +0000, Gordon Henderson said:

> In article <tjn2nj$9mu$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-10-30 21:21:43 +0000, Gordon Henderson said:
>>
>>> Not the 80s but I was a pupil in '78 when we got an Apple II - the school
>>> and the rest of the region then got heavilly into Apple IIs for a good
>>> few years (I went to uni in 1980)
>>>
>>> This was in Scotland.
>>>
>>> -Gordon
>>
>> Apple offered (and still does) comparatively good discounts for
>> education, as well as government, non-profit, and military buyers. Many
>> schools and universities started using Apple equipment in the days of
>> the Apple II and early Mac ... until the "bad days" when Apple was
>> almost bankrupt and many started switching over to Windoze PCs instead.
>
> Not quite the story in the UK where Apple's were (still are) stupidly
> expensive, but in the early 80's the BBC announced it's Computer Literacy
> Project and the BBC Micro was quickly adopted by schools all over the UK.
>
> Even working as a research student then I couldn't afford an Apple II
> or a //gs so it was a BBC Micro for me.
>
> Gordon

Apple's devices have alwatys been at the higher end of the market.
Their education pricing is worldwide ... but yes, some other companies
did offer cheaper options, especially in more localised regions.
Schools in the UK did often instead go for BBC Micro or Amstrad. Often
the cheaper choice isn't always the right choice though.

Re: Anyone in here taught computer classes with Apple 2 computers during the rad 80s?

<tjrqt8$1tcq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4884&group=comp.sys.apple2#4884

From: yourkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
during the rad 80s?
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:09:28 -0400
 by: YK - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 19:09 UTC

On 10/29/22 3:29 PM, Ant wrote:
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

Didn't teach students, but did work with 3 elementary school's staff in
the use of Apple Works (with TO enhancements), Fred Writer, Apple
Writer, Apple Link, Bank Street Writer, and DB Master Pro. Spent a
little time in the classrooms with some students, but as it was a side
job (My ex was an educator and I volunteered.). It later lead to a 25
year period of employment supporting two school districts

YK