From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: USB stick on Mac computer
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 17:16:05 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 16:16 UTC

Hi all,

Hope this is the right news group.

A friend of mine has a Mac computer and she wants to give me some
photo's. Too many to mail. So I took mu USB stick to her and connected
it with her Mac. It was located but she was not able to copy anything to
it. Nothing happened.
Later on I realized the stick was formatted as a NTSF drive, so the Mac
computer did obviously not know how to handle this.
Wich type of format should I use to make this stick working with the Mac?

Thanks in advance.

Fokke Nauta

Re: USB stick on Mac computer

<tlbj5r$hii$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4926&group=comp.sys.apple2#4926

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: USB stick on Mac computer
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:51:55 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 21:51 UTC

On 2022-11-19 16:16:05 +0000, Fokke Nauta said:

> Hi all,
>
> Hope this is the right news group.
>
> A friend of mine has a Mac computer and she wants to give me some
> photo's. Too many to mail. So I took mu USB stick to her and connected
> it with her Mac. It was located but she was not able to copy anything
> to it. Nothing happened.
> Later on I realized the stick was formatted as a NTSF drive, so the Mac
> computer did obviously not know how to handle this.
> Wich type of format should I use to make this stick working with the Mac?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fokke Nauta

1. The Mac newsgroup would be either
comp.sys.mac.system
or comp.sys.mac.misc

2. Standard MacOS X can read, but not write NTFS drives.
You can install a third-party add-on that will allow
MacOS X to write to the drives ... but you either have
to buy a commercial product or do a messy install of a
free add-on which isn't really recommended unless you
really know what you're doing.

3. The easiest option is to just use a USB drive formatted
as Windows FAT / FAT32 instead - MacOS X can read and
write to that easily. You can re-format the drive (copy
anything you want off it first!!) in Windows or by using
Disk Utility on the Mac.

4. Other options could be:
- upload them to somewhere like iCloud, DropBox, etc.
and then email a shared link.
- transfer the photos to a portable device (mobile
phone, tablet), but getting the two to connect may be
just as complicated as trying to use NTFS
- burn them to a CD/DVD, but that requires both
computers to have a CD/DVD drive, which is becoming
rare theses days (no Mac ships with one built-in).
- the "old-fashioned" way: print the photos.

Re: USB stick on Mac computer

<jtu6gjF4bonU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4927&group=comp.sys.apple2#4927

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 09:23:47 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 08:23 UTC

On 19/11/2022 22:51, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-11-19 16:16:05 +0000, Fokke Nauta said:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Hope this is the right news group.
>>
>> A friend of mine has a Mac computer and she wants to give me some
>> photo's. Too many to mail. So I took mu USB stick to her and connected
>> it with her Mac. It was located but she was not able to copy anything
>> to it. Nothing happened.
>> Later on I realized the stick was formatted as a NTSF drive, so the
>> Mac computer did obviously not know how to handle this.
>> Wich type of format should I use to make this stick working with the Mac?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> 1. The Mac newsgroup would be either
>         comp.sys.mac.system
>     or  comp.sys.mac.misc

Thanks. I already found comp.sys.mac.misc.

> 2. Standard MacOS X can read, but not write NTFS drives.
>   You can install a third-party add-on that will allow
>   MacOS X to write to the drives ... but you either have
>   to buy a commercial product or do a messy install of a
>   free add-on which isn't really recommended unless you
>   really know what you're doing.
>
> 3. The easiest option is to just use a USB drive formatted
>   as Windows FAT / FAT32 instead - MacOS X can read and
>   write to that easily. You can re-format the drive (copy
>   anything you want off it first!!) in Windows or by using
>   Disk Utility on the Mac.

OK. I will reformat the stick with FAT 32.

> 4. Other options could be:
>    - upload them to somewhere like iCloud, DropBox, etc.
>      and then email a shared link.
>    - transfer the photos to a portable device (mobile
>      phone, tablet), but getting the two to connect may be
>      just as complicated as trying to use NTFS
>    - burn them to a CD/DVD, but that requires both
>      computers to have a CD/DVD drive, which is becoming
>      rare theses days (no Mac ships with one built-in).
>    - the "old-fashioned" way: print the photos.

That's too complicated. But with the reformatted stick ik will work now.
Thanks!

Fokke