Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Internet Off Batch file not working.

SubjectAuthor
* Internet Off Batch file not working.jetjock
+* Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.David E. Ross
|+* Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.jetjock
||`* Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.Paul
|| `* Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.JJ
||  `* Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.Paul
||   `- Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.jetjock
|`- Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.Stan Brown
+- Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.Zaidy036
+* Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.Bill Bradshaw
|`- Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.jetjock
`- Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.David E. Ross

1
Internet Off Batch file not working.

<niquihhfm58tpolvk06isu0ksfshe3smmt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4928&group=alt.windows7.general#4928

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Internet Off Batch file not working.
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 15:42:06 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:42 UTC

I have a small batch file:

@echo off
netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.

and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
Dell laptop. Any ideas?

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<tgnr13$1nqm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4929&group=alt.windows7.general#4929

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:58:11 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:58 UTC

On 9/24/2022 1:42 PM, jetjock wrote:
> I have a small batch file:
>
> @echo off
> netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
>
> and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
> Dell laptop. Any ideas?

The first thing I would do would be to remove the
@echo off
and see what possible error reports appear.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Donald Trump demands that he be declared the winner of
the 2020 presidential election. Otherwise, he demands
that the election be rerun immediately.

What has he been smoking?

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<q5suih53q7eb7g88mociqu2ofe6h8vqef3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4930&group=alt.windows7.general#4930

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 16:12:59 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 21:12 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:58:11 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>On 9/24/2022 1:42 PM, jetjock wrote:
>> I have a small batch file:
>>
>> @echo off
>> netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
>>
>> and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
>> Dell laptop. Any ideas?

>The first thing I would do would be to remove the
> @echo off
>and see what possible error reports appear.

Just discovered that I can't turn off my wireless Internet...or
rather I can turn it off but it comes right back on again! I have
disabled auto reconnect, but it just keeps turning itself back on
again. I feel like it's laughing at me!! BG When I right click on the
connection and select properties, it says that Network Type is access
point and it is a "Wireless Network Connection", not a "Local Area
Network". How can I make it a LAN?

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<tgo21r$333au$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4931&group=alt.windows7.general#4931

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:58:03 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:58 UTC

On 9/24/2022 4:42 PM, jetjock wrote:
> I have a small batch file:
>
> @echo off
> netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
>
> and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
> Dell laptop. Any ideas?

"netsh interface disable" not included on my Win 10 Pro.

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<tgooru$37mph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4932&group=alt.windows7.general#4932

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 01:27:25 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 05:27 UTC

On 9/24/2022 5:12 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:58:11 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 9/24/2022 1:42 PM, jetjock wrote:
>>> I have a small batch file:
>>>
>>> @echo off
>>> netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
>>>
>>> and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
>>> Dell laptop. Any ideas?

>> The first thing I would do would be to remove the
>> @echo off
>> and see what possible error reports appear.
>
> Just discovered that I can't turn off my wireless Internet...or
> rather I can turn it off but it comes right back on again! I have
> disabled auto reconnect, but it just keeps turning itself back on
> again. I feel like it's laughing at me!! BG When I right click on the
> connection and select properties, it says that Network Type is access
> point and it is a "Wireless Network Connection", not a "Local Area
> Network". How can I make it a LAN?

I would look for an "Airplane Mode" hack with the wireless,
as that is supposed to turn off the radio. And then networking
would be a wee bit difficult with the "Media disabled" :-)

On my laptop, I can do that with F3 as well. The F3 Airplane Mode
would likely disable both Wifi and BT, if my laptop had those,
but the laptop only has a Wifi. The F3 key is supposed to disable
all radios (BT one too).

On my desktop, there would not be a Function Key for that, and
then a batch file would be needed, to do an Airplane.

Paul

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<d2743ae178no$.u5cuv7a9drv8.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4934&group=alt.windows7.general#4934

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:35:00 +0700
 by: JJ - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:35 UTC

On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 01:27:25 -0400, Paul wrote:

> I would look for an "Airplane Mode" hack with the wireless,
> as that is supposed to turn off the radio. And then networking
> would be a wee bit difficult with the "Media disabled" :-)
>
> On my laptop, I can do that with F3 as well. The F3 Airplane Mode
> would likely disable both Wifi and BT, if my laptop had those,
> but the laptop only has a Wifi. The F3 key is supposed to disable
> all radios (BT one too).
>
> On my desktop, there would not be a Function Key for that, and
> then a batch file would be needed, to do an Airplane.
>
> Paul

Since when did Windows 7 have Airplane mode?

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<jpber8Fa9pfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4936&group=alt.windows7.general#4936

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:44:21 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:44 UTC

jetjock wrote:
> I have a small batch file:
>
> @echo off
> netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
>
> and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
> Dell laptop. Any ideas?

This is what I use:

https://www.sordum.org/9660/net-disabler-v1-1/
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<tgq848$8pr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4941&group=alt.windows7.general#4941

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:53:58 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 18:53 UTC

On 9/24/2022 1:42 PM, jetjock wrote:
> I have a small batch file:
>
> @echo off
> netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
>
> and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
> Dell laptop. Any ideas?

For Windows 7, I use Network Activity Indicator from
<http://www.itsamples.com/network-activity-indicator.html>. Its icon
resides on my tray (notification area). If I left-click on the icon
when my Internet connection is enabled, it launches a small window that
has (among others) a "Disable" button. If I left-click on the icon when
my Internet connection is disabled, it enables my Internet connection.

There appears to be a bug in this tool such that it sometimes gets
confused about whether my Internet connection is enabled or disabled. I
created a small script for use when that happens. The DOS-like script
forcibly terminates the tool and then relaunches it, which corrects the
problem.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Donald Trump demands that he be declared the winner of
the 2020 presidential election. Otherwise, he demands
that the election be rerun immediately.

What has he been smoking?

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<tgqafr$19fv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4943&group=alt.windows7.general#4943

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:34:21 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:34 UTC

On 9/25/2022 5:35 AM, JJ wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 01:27:25 -0400, Paul wrote:
>>
>> I would look for an "Airplane Mode" hack with the wireless,
>> as that is supposed to turn off the radio. And then networking
>> would be a wee bit difficult with the "Media disabled" :-)
>>
>> On my laptop, I can do that with F3 as well. The F3 Airplane Mode
>> would likely disable both Wifi and BT, if my laptop had those,
>> but the laptop only has a Wifi. The F3 key is supposed to disable
>> all radios (BT one too).
>>
>> On my desktop, there would not be a Function Key for that, and
>> then a batch file would be needed, to do an Airplane.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Since when did Windows 7 have Airplane mode?

I have a Windows 7 laptop.

The keyboard has a logo on F3 indicating disablement of Wifi.
There is also an orange status LED indicating Wifi is on or off.

That's your airplane. It could very well be BIOS based, but
I would think that would be difficult without disabling the
bus decode. It could be a hotkey to *something* in the OS.

A laptop as old as mine, the Wifi module could be wired onto
the USB bus, rather than a higher speed bus. It's probably
only 802.11n.

I don't know the details, but from the optics of it, there is
some function there. I keep the Wifi LED off at all times.

Desktops don't have the same priorities, because you
don't normally carry a desktop onto an aircraft and use
it while in flight. But mobile devices, would normally
have such a capability.

*******

The Windows Mobility Center has a button for the Wifi.

It does not imply Bluetooth goes off at the same time though,
so not likely to be entirely Airplane compliant. Maybe if
your Bluetooth is co-located on the Wifi module, it might
be covered in that case.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-windows-mobility-center-in-vista/

Paul

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<MPG.3d9aad4d478066b998ffb0@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4946&group=alt.windows7.general#4946

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:24:49 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 02:24 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:58:11 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 9/24/2022 1:42 PM, jetjock wrote:
> > I have a small batch file:
> >
> > @echo off
> > netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
> >
> > and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
> > Dell laptop. Any ideas?

> The first thing I would do would be to remove the
> @echo off
> and see what possible error reports appear.

echo off or on has no effect whatever on the production of error
messages.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<8md3jhd86manr4fluv8q0a5dc5v2sjqgnj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4951&group=alt.windows7.general#4951

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 09:32:49 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 14:32 UTC

On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:34:21 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 9/25/2022 5:35 AM, JJ wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 01:27:25 -0400, Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> I would look for an "Airplane Mode" hack with the wireless,
>>> as that is supposed to turn off the radio. And then networking
>>> would be a wee bit difficult with the "Media disabled" :-)
>>>
>>> On my laptop, I can do that with F3 as well. The F3 Airplane Mode
>>> would likely disable both Wifi and BT, if my laptop had those,
>>> but the laptop only has a Wifi. The F3 key is supposed to disable
>>> all radios (BT one too).
>>>
>>> On my desktop, there would not be a Function Key for that, and
>>> then a batch file would be needed, to do an Airplane.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Since when did Windows 7 have Airplane mode?
>>

>I have a Windows 7 laptop.
>
>The keyboard has a logo on F3 indicating disablement of Wifi.
>There is also an orange status LED indicating Wifi is on or off.

I don't have any lights on my Dell, but I did find a key that does
turn the Wi-Fi off. Mine is on the "PrtScr" key and it works with Fn
key. I often wondered what that "Antennae Broadcasting" symbol was
that key! :-) Thanks.

>That's your airplane. It could very well be BIOS based, but
>I would think that would be difficult without disabling the
>bus decode. It could be a hotkey to *something* in the OS.
>
>A laptop as old as mine, the Wifi module could be wired onto
>the USB bus, rather than a higher speed bus. It's probably
>only 802.11n.
>
>I don't know the details, but from the optics of it, there is
>some function there. I keep the Wifi LED off at all times.
>
>Desktops don't have the same priorities, because you
>don't normally carry a desktop onto an aircraft and use
>it while in flight. But mobile devices, would normally
>have such a capability.
>
>*******
>
>The Windows Mobility Center has a button for the Wifi.
>
>It does not imply Bluetooth goes off at the same time though,
>so not likely to be entirely Airplane compliant. Maybe if
>your Bluetooth is co-located on the Wifi module, it might
>be covered in that case.
>
>https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-windows-mobility-center-in-vista/
>
> Paul

Re: Internet Off Batch file not working.

<p1e3jh5ipoqktibhlrlnjcu5vgpccc997q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4952&group=alt.windows7.general#4952

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 09:35:58 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 14:35 UTC

On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:44:21 -0800, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net>
wrote:

>jetjock wrote:
>> I have a small batch file:
>>
>> @echo off
>> netsh interface "Local Area Connection" disable.
>>
>> and the same for enable. Works just great on my desktop but not on my
>> Dell laptop. Any ideas?

>This is what I use:
>
>https://www.sordum.org/9660/net-disabler-v1-1/

Thanks to you and David for the helpful hints. However, after
discovering that there is a built in key that will do the same thing
on my laptop, (thanks Paul) I will not need a separate program.