From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch
Subject: Re: I had a question about batch files using multiple variable, but
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:51:12 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 00:51 UTC

JJ <jj4public@gmail.com> on Sun, 14 Mar 2021 17:58:45 +0700 typed in
alt.msdos.batch the following:
>On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 19:57:41 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> I had a question about batch files using multiple variables, but as I
>> try to get tot he relevant code to show what I'm asking about, I'm
>> getting more and more confused about what the actual code is doing,
>> and what I want it to do. I may be converging on an entirely other
>> approach.
>>
>> I may get this sorted out so that it a works, but if it doesn't I'll
>> see if I can figure out what it is doing so I can ask the right
>> questions.
>
>IMO, computer code is more precise than any human languages. So, I suggest
>showing the full code. i.e. not just a snippet, or an mock up code of whay
>you're trying to do. And state the expected result, as well as the actual
>result.

Sigh, so you really want to try to read through 216 lines ( out of
the original 517 - I just looked) of code to find the dozen or lines
which are relevant? Including the house keeping, test output notes
comments and spaces?
I know I don't, and I wrote the bloody thing!

And as I examine the program to extract the relevant lines, I find
that I am also having to interpret what I wrote in light of the
output, and in light of more recent lessons. The "oh, so that's why
that works (or doesn't) that way!' moments.
I'm not seeing much reason to ask "why doesn't this work" with a
program and output dump. (For grins and giggles, I ran TesTMyCopy.bat
- the test suite and directed all output to a file. It is 10 megs in
size)
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.