"Gotcha, you snot-necked weenies!" -- Post Bros. Comics

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Wizardry re-engineering

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringPeter Richards
`* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringThomas Ewers
 `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringEric Labelle
  +- Re: Wizardry re-engineeringTommyGoog
  `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringTommyGoog
   `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringTommyGoog
    `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringTommyGoog
     `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringEric Labelle
      `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringTommyGoog
       `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringEric Labelle
        `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringEric Labelle
         `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringEric Labelle
          `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringEric Labelle
           `* Re: Wizardry re-engineeringEric Labelle
            `- Re: Wizardry re-engineeringfadden

1
Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<460ab94f-dca1-4880-97bd-473f0ef0557cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4955&group=comp.sys.apple2#4955

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 21:40:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Wizardry re-engineering
From: the.pete...@gmail.com (Peter Richards)
 by: Peter Richards - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 05:40 UTC

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 7:27:56 PM UTC-7, TommyGoog wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:00:07 AM UTC-5, Didier VALLET wrote:
> > Hello, i've read a part of Tommy's big work on Wizardry III and i'm interested in looking on the older ones like Wizardry I (also called Sorcellerie in French)
> >

> > "
> >
> > Le mardi 10 avril 2012 09:53:17 UTC+2, TommyGoog a écrit :
> >
> > > Recently I completed a rather interesting project that I'd like to
> >
> > > share with the Apple][ community. I re-engineered the two main
> >
> > > executable files, WIZARDRY.CODE and WIZUTIL.CODE, for "Wizardry III,
> >
> > > Legacy of Llylgamyn" into Pascal code.
> >
> > "
> >

> > I saw that there are tools to do it like his Wiz4 or Hyde.
> >
> > Does anybody know where are tools to work on p-code or can help me to start.
> >
> > Thanks a lot. Didier
> I've replied to an email from Didier and sent him a copy of WIZ4. If anyone else would like a copy of WIZ4 let me know.
>
> I'm now tempted to re-engineer Wizardry I (Proving Grounds). Would anyone besides Didier be interested if I did? I ask this because there didn't seem to be a lot of interest after I re-engineered Wizardry III (see my post 2 years ago: Re-engineered: Wizardry III, Legacy of Llylgamyn).
>
> Tommy
>

> Tommy

Id be interested. I know Im 7 years late, but this is awesome. I got ahold of some of the original source code in assembler and apple pascal, but I don't have all the resource files (images, etc). If you have all the original source and the inventory to create the graphics Id love to get a copy and dive into this. I spent a whole week pretending to be sick as a kid when this came out. Played it straight through from christmas eve night all the way to the end. hand mapping and the whole shebang.

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<tommymg-1670186181@macgui.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4956&group=comp.sys.apple2#4956

From: ewe...@msn.com (Thomas Ewers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:36:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Ewers - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:36 UTC

Peter Richards wrote:

> Id be interested. I know Im 7 years late, but this is awesome. I got
> ahold of some of the original source code in assembler and apple pascal,
> but I don't have all the resource files (images, etc). If you have all
> the
> original source and the inventory to create the graphics Id love to get a
> copy and dive into this. I spent a whole week pretending to be sick as a
> kid when this came out. Played it straight through from christmas eve
> night
> all the way to the end. hand mapping and the whole shebang.

If you read all the posts in the two threads, you will find most of what you
need:

"Wizardry re-engineering"
"Re-engineered: Wizardry III, Legacy of Llylgamyn"

The source code for Wiz4 (BASIC programming language) was posted in one of
them. I also posted a series of tutorial posts explaining how to use Wiz4
to examine Pascal diskettes.

I never had any of the "original" source code. All the Pascal (and
assembler) code I posted was created from the Wizardry executable diskettes.

My Pascal "source" code is posted at the Apple download site ASIMOV.

I think I also posted some documents using Google Docs (or whatever it is
called) with re-constructed data tables and images from the game(s). There
should be links somewhere in my forum posts to those.

Good luck on your adventure!

Tommy

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<af391d12-6f4b-46a0-9578-28d768061bcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4971&group=comp.sys.apple2#4971

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 22:28:16 -0800 (PST)
From: eric5lab...@gmail.com (Eric Labelle)
 by: Eric Labelle - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 06:28 UTC

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 3:36:25 PM UTC-5, TommyGoog wrote:
> Peter Richards wrote:
>

> > Id be interested. I know Im 7 years late, but this is awesome. I got
> > ahold of some of the original source code in assembler and apple pascal,
> > but I don't have all the resource files (images, etc). If you have all
> > the
> > original source and the inventory to create the graphics Id love to get a
> > copy and dive into this. I spent a whole week pretending to be sick as a
> > kid when this came out. Played it straight through from christmas eve
> > night
> > all the way to the end. hand mapping and the whole shebang.
> >
> If you read all the posts in the two threads, you will find most of what you
> need:
>
> "Wizardry re-engineering"
> "Re-engineered: Wizardry III, Legacy of Llylgamyn"
> The source code for Wiz4 (BASIC programming language) was posted in one of
> them. I also posted a series of tutorial posts explaining how to use Wiz4
> to examine Pascal diskettes.
>
> I never had any of the "original" source code. All the Pascal (and
> assembler) code I posted was created from the Wizardry executable diskettes.
>
> My Pascal "source" code is posted at the Apple download site ASIMOV.
>
> I think I also posted some documents using Google Docs (or whatever it is
> called) with re-constructed data tables and images from the game(s). There
> should be links somewhere in my forum posts to those.
>
> Good luck on your adventure!
>
> Tommy
Hi Tommy, and everyone.

What a coincidence that you wrote just last week in this group. Someone mentioned to me that further instructions to re-compile your code was available somewhere and I found it here.

I think you will be amazed at what we did with Wizardry Proving Grounds lately.

We are a group of guys that have pooled our resources and knowledge to created tools and a fixed version for Wizardry PG.

First, the source code you have produced is amazing and helped us tremendously, we can’t thank you enough. More on that later.

Also, a pristine version of Wizardry PG v2.1 showed up on the Internet Archives which gave us a baseline to work with.

On my site you will find Proving Grounds Restored v2.2. Read the list of fixes. Most fixes, and there is quite a lot, we have done so far are in the database content. A very useful 40-Columns fix by Chris Torrence for the IIe is super nice too.

https://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/proving-grounds-restored/index.html
With PG Restored pretty much wrapped up I was ready for the next step. Just last week, I had begun looking at fixing the SCENARIO.CODE source code. I dug out my old Apple Pascal books and got to work.

The first task I set myself to do was to fix the famous “Bishop” bug. So, I edited your source code, re-compiled, replaced the code on Proving Grounds Restored v2.2 and it worked! Best day of my life besides getting married and my son’s birth.

That bug is just one of many we have found that need be fixed, we have a list of code bugs/issues to attend to. And now, 41 years after Wizardry came out, thanks to your work we can actually do so.

I will add here that well worth checking is the WizardryApp that Denis Molony created, absolutely fantastic! https://github.com/dmolony

While my main interest is on the WIZARDRY.CODE, which works, I have errors compiling STARTUP.TEXT though on WIZ1E.DSK:

USES CHAINSTUFF <<<<
Line15, error 187:….

SETCHAIN <<<<
Line 1283, error 104:…

SETCHAIN <<<<
Line 1283, error 59:…

SETCHAIN <<<<
Line 1283, error 51:…

P.S. I see Didier wrote in this forum… we must get in touch about “Sorcellerie”!

Eric

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<a1944f03-e28f-482e-99f4-defcd3cbb0b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4973&group=comp.sys.apple2#4973

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:09:30 -0800 (PST)
From: ewe...@msn.com (TommyGoog)
 by: TommyGoog - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:09 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 12:28:17 AM UTC-6, Eric Labelle wrote:

> Hi Tommy, and everyone.
>
> What a coincidence that you wrote just last week in this group. Someone mentioned to me that further instructions to re-compile your code was available somewhere and I found it here.
>

> While my main interest is on the WIZARDRY.CODE, which works, I have errors compiling STARTUP.TEXT though on WIZ1E.DSK:
>
> USES CHAINSTUFF <<<<
> Line15, error 187:….
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 104:…
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 59:…
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 51:…
>
> P.S. I see Didier wrote in this forum… we must get in touch about “Sorcellerie”!
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

I don't know if I posted my instructions earlier for compiling STARTUP.TEXT, but just now after many years, I looked in my spreadsheet and found my own instructions for compiling STARTUP.TEXT. Hopefully the formatting will look ok since copy/pasting from an Excel spreadsheets inserts "tab" characters between columns.

I used my modified AppleWin with 4 disk drives. I believe SETCHAIN is part of the Pascal "intrinsics".

I hope this helps!

Tommy

Build Instructions:
Insert disks into drives:
4: 01 EDIT.DSK
5: 10 WIZ1E.DSK (STARTUP source)
11: 02 COMPILE.DSK
12: 16 WizardryDotCode.dsk

Delete PRINTER.TXT on my computer.
Set AppleWin printer to APPEND

Boot 01 EDIT.DSK
S)wap ON ("Y")
F)iler
E)xtended #12:
R)emove
STARTUP.CODE and any other files. Should show < UNUSED > 274 6
E)xtended #5
R)emove
remove ALL ".CODE" files
"#5:=.CODE"
K)runch to end of disk.
E)xtended Dir
STARTUP.TEXT
WIZUTILB.TEXT
WIZUTILC.TEXT
TITLELOA.TEXT
OPTIONS.TEXT
LZDECOMP.TEXT
CHKSYNCH.TEXT
SCREENPT.TEXT
< UNUSED > 166 114
A)ssem
Assemble what text?
#5:LZDECOMP
To what codefile?
$
Output file
PRINTER:
A)ssem
#5:CHKSYNCH
$
PRINTER:
A)ssem
#5:SCREENPT
$
PRINTER:
C)ompile
Compile what text?
#5:STARTUP
To what codefile?
$
L)ink
Host file?
#5:STARTUP
Lib file?
#5:LZDECOMP
Lib file?
#5:CHKSYNCH
Lib file?
#5:SCREENPT
Lib file?
<cr>
Map file?
<cr>
see:
Reading WIZBOOT
Reading LZDECOMP
Reading CHKSYNCH
Reading SCREENPT
Output file?
#12:STARTUP
see:
Linking UTILS #7
Linking TITLELOA #8
Linnking OPTIONS #9
Linking WIZBOOT #1
Copying proc LZDECOMP
Copying proc CHKSYNCH
Copying proc SCREENPT
T)ransfer
#12:STARTUP.CODE
to:
#5:STARTUP.CODE
C)hange
#5:STARTUP.CODE
#5:SYSTEM.STARTUP

Eject disk "16 WizardryDotCode" from #12:
Insert "16 WizardryDotCode.DSK" into #5:
Insert "05 DeCompile.DSK" into #4:
Reboot
"Y" for all
Output from all the steps above should be in PRINTER.TXT on my computer.
To find start of PASCAL code, search for "PRINTER:".
To find start of pCode, search for "jtab".
Copy pCode to Wizardry1StartupPcode.txt
Use WINDIFF to compare pCodeProvGrnd STARTUP.txt to Wizardry1StartupPcode.txt

Tommy

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<c57a930c-fca2-4874-b375-c180a2f66e9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4974&group=comp.sys.apple2#4974

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:37:21 -0800 (PST)
From: ewe...@msn.com (TommyGoog)
 by: TommyGoog - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:37 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 12:28:17 AM UTC-6, Eric Labelle wrote:

> Hi Tommy, and everyone.
>
> What a coincidence that you wrote just last week in this group. Someone mentioned to me that further instructions to re-compile your code was available somewhere and I found it here.
>
> While my main interest is on the WIZARDRY.CODE, which works, I have errors compiling STARTUP.TEXT though on WIZ1E.DSK:
>
> USES CHAINSTUFF <<<<
> Line15, error 187:….
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 104:…
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 59:…
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 51:…
>
> P.S. I see Didier wrote in this forum… we must get in touch about “Sorcellerie”!
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

I don't know if I posted my instructions earlier for compiling STARTUP.TEXT, but just now, after many years, I looked in my spreadsheet and found my own instructions for compiling STARTUP.TEXT. Hopefully the formatting will look ok since copy/pasting from an Excel spreadsheets inserts "tab" characters between columns. It looks MUCH better with the indentation (this is my try #2 at posting to Google groups).

#5:LZDECOMP
To what codefile?
$
Output file
PRINTER:
A)ssem
#5:CHKSYNCH
$
PRINTER:
A)ssem
#5:SCREENPT
$
PRINTER:
C)ompile
Compile what text?
#5:STARTUP
To what codefile?
$
L)ink
Host file?
#5:STARTUP
Lib file?
#5:LZDECOMP
Lib file?
#5:CHKSYNCH
Lib file?
#5:SCREENPT
Lib file?
<cr>
Map file?
<cr>
see:
Reading WIZBOOT
Reading LZDECOMP
Reading CHKSYNCH
Reading SCREENPT
Output file?
#12:STARTUP
see:
Linking UTILS #7
Linking TITLELOA #8
Linnking OPTIONS #9
Linking WIZBOOT #1
Copying proc LZDECOMP
Copying proc CHKSYNCH
Copying proc SCREENPT
T)ransfer
#12:STARTUP.CODE
to:
#5:STARTUP.CODE
C)hange
#5:STARTUP.CODE
#5:SYSTEM.STARTUP

Eject disk "16 WizardryDotCode" from #12:
Insert "16 WizardryDotCode.DSK" into #5:
Insert "05 DeCompile.DSK" into #4:
Reboot
"Y" for all
Output from all the steps above should be in PRINTER.TXT on my computer.
To find start of PASCAL code, search for "PRINTER:".
To find start of pCode, search for "jtab".
Copy pCode to Wizardry1StartupPcode.txt
Use WINDIFF to compare pCodeProvGrnd STARTUP.txt to Wizardry1StartupPcode..txt

Tommy

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<e11caf8e-0756-4448-a3d2-433e496c6e90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4975&group=comp.sys.apple2#4975

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:42:07 -0800 (PST)
From: ewe...@msn.com (TommyGoog)
 by: TommyGoog - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:42 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 3:37:22 PM UTC-6, TommyGoog wrote:

Grrrr. When I look at the message in Google Groups, all tab characters are removed and it looks terrible. I will now post after replacing each tab with "...".

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 12:28:17 AM UTC-6, Eric Labelle wrote:

> Hi Tommy, and everyone.
>
> What a coincidence that you wrote just last week in this group. Someone mentioned to me that further instructions to re-compile your code was available somewhere and I found it here.
>

> While my main interest is on the WIZARDRY.CODE, which works, I have errors compiling STARTUP.TEXT though on WIZ1E.DSK:
>
> USES CHAINSTUFF <<<<
> Line15, error 187:….
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 104:…
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 59:…
>
> SETCHAIN <<<<
> Line 1283, error 51:…
>
> P.S. I see Didier wrote in this forum… we must get in touch about “Sorcellerie”!
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

I don't know if I posted my instructions earlier for compiling STARTUP.TEXT, but just now after many years, I looked in my spreadsheet and found my own instructions for compiling STARTUP.TEXT. Hopefully the formatting will look ok since copy/pasting from an Excel spreadsheets inserts "tab" characters between columns.

I used my modified AppleWin with 4 disk drives. I believe SETCHAIN is part of the Pascal "intrinsics".

I hope this helps!

Tommy

Build Instructions:
...Insert disks into drives:
... ...4: 01 EDIT.DSK
... ...5: 10 WIZ1E.DSK (STARTUP source)
... ...11: 02 COMPILE.DSK
... ...12: 16 WizardryDotCode.dsk

...Delete PRINTER.TXT on my computer.
...Set AppleWin printer to APPEND

...Boot 01 EDIT.DSK
...S)wap ON ("Y")
...F)iler
... ...E)xtended #12:
... ... ...R)emove
... ... ...STARTUP.CODE and any other files. Should show < UNUSED > 274 6
... ...E)xtended #5
... ... ...R)emove
... ... ... ...remove ALL ".CODE" files
... ... ... ..."#5:=.CODE"
... ... ...K)runch to end of disk.
... ... ...E)xtended Dir
... ... ... ...STARTUP.TEXT
... ... ... ...WIZUTILB.TEXT
... ... ... ...WIZUTILC.TEXT
... ... ... ...TITLELOA.TEXT
... ... ... ...OPTIONS.TEXT
... ... ... ...LZDECOMP.TEXT
... ... ... ...CHKSYNCH.TEXT
... ... ... ...SCREENPT.TEXT
... ... ... ...< UNUSED > 166 114
... ...A)ssem
... ... ...Assemble what text?
... ... ... ...#5:LZDECOMP
... ... ...To what codefile?
... ... ... ...$
... ... ...Output file
... ... ... ...PRINTER:
... ...A)ssem
... ... ...#5:CHKSYNCH
... ... ...$
... ... ...PRINTER:
... ...A)ssem
... ... ...#5:SCREENPT
... ... ...$
... ... ...PRINTER:
... ...C)ompile
... ... ...Compile what text?
... ... ... ...#5:STARTUP
... ... ...To what codefile?
... ... ... ...$
... ...L)ink
... ... ...Host file?
... ... ... ...#5:STARTUP
... ... ...Lib file?
... ... ... ...#5:LZDECOMP
... ... ...Lib file?
... ... ... ...#5:CHKSYNCH
... ... ...Lib file?
... ... ... ...#5:SCREENPT
... ... ...Lib file?
... ... ... ...<cr>
... ... ...Map file?
... ... ... ...<cr>
... ... ...see:
... ... ... ...Reading WIZBOOT
... ... ... ...Reading LZDECOMP
... ... ... ...Reading CHKSYNCH
... ... ... ...Reading SCREENPT
... ... ...Output file?
... ... ... ...#12:STARTUP
... ... ...see:
... ... ... ...Linking UTILS #7
... ... ... ...Linking TITLELOA #8
... ... ... ...Linnking OPTIONS #9
... ... ... ...Linking WIZBOOT #1
... ... ... ...Copying proc LZDECOMP
... ... ... ...Copying proc CHKSYNCH
... ... ... ...Copying proc SCREENPT
... ...T)ransfer
... ... ...#12:STARTUP.CODE
... ...to:
... ... ...#5:STARTUP.CODE
... ...C)hange
... ... ...#5:STARTUP.CODE
... ... ...#5:SYSTEM.STARTUP

... ...Eject disk "16 WizardryDotCode" from #12:
... ...Insert "16 WizardryDotCode.DSK" into #5:
... ...Insert "05 DeCompile.DSK" into #4:
... ...Reboot
... ... ..."Y" for all
... ...Output from all the steps above should be in PRINTER.TXT on my computer.
... ...To find start of PASCAL code, search for "PRINTER:".
... ...To find start of pCode, search for "jtab".
... ...Copy pCode to Wizardry1StartupPcode.txt
... ...Use WINDIFF to compare pCodeProvGrnd STARTUP.txt to Wizardry1StartupPcode.txt

Tommy

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<ebda5c19-3aa7-4097-a297-ff7a0968fab1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4976&group=comp.sys.apple2#4976

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:23:03 -0800 (PST)
From: ewe...@msn.com (TommyGoog)
 by: TommyGoog - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:23 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 3:42:08 PM UTC-6, TommyGoog wrote:

> > While my main interest is on the WIZARDRY.CODE, which works, I have errors compiling STARTUP.TEXT though on WIZ1E.DSK:
> >
> > USES CHAINSTUFF <<<<
> > Line15, error 187:….
> >
> > SETCHAIN <<<<
> > Line 1283, error 104:…
> >
> > SETCHAIN <<<<
> > Line 1283, error 59:…
> >
> > SETCHAIN <<<<
> > Line 1283, error 51:…
> >
> > P.S. I see Didier wrote in this forum… we must get in touch about “Sorcellerie”!
> >
> > Eric

Hi Eric,

"Error 187: Attempt to open library unsuccessful"

In an earlier message I indicated to have "SYSTEM.LIBRARY" on the "01 EDIT.DSK". You might also want (need?) it on the COMPILE.DSK.

I also see that I started at some point with a disk "#14 UnalteredAPPLE1.1.1.DSK" containing "SYSTEM.LIBRARY".

And a note when I first started this thread for Wizardry I (after first doing Wizardry III Legacy of Llylgamyn):

"Made sure that SYSTEM.LIBRARY contained the 6502 code for Wizardry."

Using the LIBMAP utility, you can view the contents of SYSTEM.LIBRARY. There should be a segment called "SETCHAIN".

I'm guessing this post should get you on the right path.

Kind Regards,
Tommy

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<b5ae8e44-65dc-446a-9961-a1c39622488dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4977&group=comp.sys.apple2#4977

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:55:18 -0800 (PST)
From: eric5lab...@gmail.com (Eric Labelle)
 by: Eric Labelle - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 05:55 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 6:23:04 PM UTC-5, TommyGoog wrote:
> On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 3:42:08 PM UTC-6, TommyGoog wrote:
>

> > > While my main interest is on the WIZARDRY.CODE, which works, I have errors compiling STARTUP.TEXT though on WIZ1E.DSK:
> > >
> > > USES CHAINSTUFF <<<<
> > > Line15, error 187:….
> > >
> > > SETCHAIN <<<<
> > > Line 1283, error 104:…
> > >
> > > SETCHAIN <<<<
> > > Line 1283, error 59:…
> > >
> > > SETCHAIN <<<<
> > > Line 1283, error 51:…
> > >
> > > P.S. I see Didier wrote in this forum… we must get in touch about “Sorcellerie”!
> > >
> > > Eric
> >

> Hi Eric,
> "Error 187: Attempt to open library unsuccessful"
>
> In an earlier message I indicated to have "SYSTEM.LIBRARY" on the "01 EDIT.DSK". You might also want (need?) it on the COMPILE.DSK.
>
> I also see that I started at some point with a disk "#14 UnalteredAPPLE1.1.1.DSK" containing "SYSTEM.LIBRARY".
>
> And a note when I first started this thread for Wizardry I (after first doing Wizardry III Legacy of Llylgamyn):
>
> "Made sure that SYSTEM.LIBRARY contained the 6502 code for Wizardry."
>
> Using the LIBMAP utility, you can view the contents of SYSTEM.LIBRARY. There should be a segment called "SETCHAIN".
>
> I'm guessing this post should get you on the right path.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Tommy

Thank you. That was it! The SYSTEM.LIBRARY must be present in the root drive #4: when compiling, even if it is present on another drive/disquette, it will not work.

Preliminary tests of using the new recompiled SYSTEM.STARTUP on my Wiz boot disks did not work for me yet (crash/hang on boot, I did not forget to put the write-protect on), but it is getting late here, I will do more tests and write back in this forum shortly.

Eric

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<3e725d68-e346-4329-87a5-3e782a7ee43en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4978&group=comp.sys.apple2#4978

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:07:03 -0800 (PST)
From: ewe...@msn.com (TommyGoog)
 by: TommyGoog - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 07:07 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 11:55:19 PM UTC-6, Eric Labelle wrote:

> Preliminary tests of using the new recompiled SYSTEM.STARTUP on my Wiz boot disks did not work for me yet (crash/hang on boot, I did not forget to put the write-protect on), but it is getting late here, I will do more tests and write back in this forum shortly.
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

Have you disabled the "Copy Protection" code? I described it someplace, something about synchronized tracks. I also supplied Track/Sector locations to disable it by changing one or two bytes in the compiled code. Since you are compiling SYSTEM.STARTUP (STARTUP.TEXT), you can disable it by changing the code in the CKCOPY procedure. You might be able to just comment out the call to CKCOPY, but I'm not sure if there are residual effects that are needed by CKCOPY.

To disable the Copy Protection code in CKCOPY (after it has tried checking the diskette) you can comment out the "IF" line, and just leave the EXIT( CHKCOPY).

1393 1 4:3 170 IF GOODCOPY THEN
1394 1 4:4 173 EXIT( CHKCOPY)
1395 1 4:2 177

Kind Regards,
Tommy

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<51538537-2061-426c-8ba7-2d52539f1f25n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4979&group=comp.sys.apple2#4979

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 18:37:05 -0800 (PST)
From: eric5lab...@gmail.com (Eric Labelle)
 by: Eric Labelle - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 02:37 UTC

> Have you disabled the "Copy Protection" code? I described it someplace, something about synchronized tracks. I also supplied Track/Sector locations to disable it by changing one or two bytes in the compiled code. Since you are compiling SYSTEM.STARTUP (STARTUP.TEXT), you can disable it by changing the code in the CKCOPY procedure. You might be able to just comment out the call to CKCOPY, but I'm not sure if there are residual effects that are needed by CKCOPY.
>
> To disable the Copy Protection code in CKCOPY (after it has tried checking the diskette) you can comment out the "IF" line, and just leave the EXIT( CHKCOPY).
>
> 1393 1 4:3 170 IF GOODCOPY THEN
> 1394 1 4:4 173 EXIT( CHKCOPY)
> 1395 1 4:2 177
>
> Kind Regards,
> Tommy

Hi Tommy. That worked! Thank you.

Before I ask any more questions I will read the entire Wiz I and Wiz III threads. I will probably want to look at the Wiz4 decompiler.

Eric

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<71a2f707-92b4-4871-a28a-d3bfea9c6b4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4983&group=comp.sys.apple2#4983

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 18:43:56 -0800 (PST)
From: eric5lab...@gmail.com (Eric Labelle)
 by: Eric Labelle - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 02:43 UTC

Hi.

I read all the posts in this conversation as well as the Wiz III.

This showed me that decompiling/reverse-engineering is really intense to say the least.

Reading about the “three” BEL issue was fascinating.

There were several posts about the “Thundarr” easter egg. Here are the latest developments about that. We have found 3 releases of Proving Grounds. Version: 05-SEP-81, Version: 01-DEC-81,
Version: 2.1 22-JAN-1982. The latter being by far the most prevalent and the one we all know about. I had the pleasure to meet Robert Woodhead at KansasFest this year, and he acknowledged that some Easter eggs could have been disabled by mistake. I, for one, remember seeing the “Thundarr” message in high school and I am still looking for copies of the first two scenario releases that have not been played, because, “Thundarr” appears only once in the game where the engine marks it off after meeting him.

With the Wizardry Proving Grounds Restored v2.2 project we have corrected the “Thundarr” Easter egg so people can see it but also, we have enabled another Easter egg that never shows up, that, is a special encounter with Fire Dragons (which appears only 4 times, for better loot) on level 7, around the places where the game shows three messages about “It’s hot!” as mentioned in the posts above. Those two and many other fixes were done to the wizardry database, you can see the entire list of fixes here: https://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/proving-grounds-restored/

Now that we are essentially done with the database fixes, what we are really after right now is fixing the game code, i-e, WIZARDRY.CODE.

I have a list of game code bugs and issues, many of which overlap what was posted in this forum, and I am planning a system to track them and their status as we progress in this project.

I am planning to put this on GitHub, unless there’s a better way. I am not sure I have enough time to do this before the end of the year with all the holiday season parties, but for sure I will have something up sooner than later.

Thanks Tommy, all those years of hard work you put in are paying off today with many fans just happy to see Wizardry alive and better than ever.

Eric

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<e532bfce-52ba-4329-a771-2278acafdeefn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5014&group=comp.sys.apple2#5014

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 11:14:38 -0800 (PST)
From: eric5lab...@gmail.com (Eric Labelle)
 by: Eric Labelle - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:14 UTC

Hello.

A web page and GitHub has been setup for the Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0 project.

The purpose of this project is to fix bugs and issues found in the Pascal code of the Apple II release of Wizardry Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

It includes everything needed to edit and compile Wizardry's Pascal code.

Web Page: https://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/proving-grounds-v3
GitHub: https://github.com/snafaru

Needless to say, this project would not exist without Thomas W. Ewers' Wizardry re-engineered Pascal source code work, for which we are eternally grateful. This fulfills my childhood dream of working with Wizardry's Pascal code.

If you know of bugs or issues not listed on the web page above, please email them to snafaru@zimlab.com

Thank you.

Eric

P. S. Note that Wizardry database fixes have already been implemented, mainly using various scenario editors. See them here:
https://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/proving-grounds-restored

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<c3fa3b24-16fa-4cb1-aa5e-80f43d5153fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5234&group=comp.sys.apple2#5234

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: eric5lab...@gmail.com (Eric Labelle)
 by: Eric Labelle - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:12 UTC

Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0 Released!

Hello everyone!

More than forty years after the last public release of Wizardry Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord for the Apple II platform, Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0 is released!
More than 100 database and code fixes, and enhancements, have been done in Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0.

Here are a few of the game play enhancements:

Combat - Display hit probabilities.
Combat - Display spells cast by both monsters and players.
Combat - No more spell casting during the surprise round for both monsters and players.
Combat - Monsters drain your character only once per combat.
Castle - Removed password prompts.
Spells - Haman and Mahaman now have 7 effects, see spells lists below. This is a bug fix.
Spells - Latumapic now works.
Spells - Loktofeit now has a similar success chance as in Wizardry III (65 + character level %).
Spells - Manifo now works with similar success as Katino.
Inventory - No more micro-managing inventory to make space for treasure drops.
Ninja - The requirements to change class to ninja are now 15 in all attributes instead of 17.
Ninja - Unarmed combat enhancements:
- Base bare hands damage increased from 2d4 to 2d8.
- Unarmed Armor Class improved from 1 point every 3 levels, to 1 point every level.
- Unarmed Combat Initiative Bonus of 1 point (10%) for every 3 levels.
Maze - Easter egg and specials encounters re-enabled.

You can play using an Apple II emulator or a real Apple II computer.

All that you need to know to start playing is in the Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0 Additional Players Guide included in this package which also includes original and ProDOS (a spectacular achievement by qkumba) disk images as well as all the details of the fixes and enhancement.

Web site and download: https://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/proving-grounds-v3

Enjoy!

Snafaru

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<ac0bf47f-23f0-4917-9ae1-2a6a12230250n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5486&group=comp.sys.apple2#5486

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: eric5lab...@gmail.com (Eric Labelle)
 by: Eric Labelle - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 21:19 UTC

Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0, 03 August 2023 Released!

Hello everyone!

Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0, 03 August 2023 is released!

Playing or replaying the original has never been better.

Here are a few of the game play enhancements since the last release above:

- Party members can now Pool or Divide Gold amongst themselves! This is super smooth and makes the game more enjoyable.

- Updated the code to allow characters to be transferred between scenario disks even if they are carrying quest items.

- The Evil Shield +3 armor class has been improved from 5 to 6 to be consistent with the armor protection of all the other shields.

You can play using an Apple II emulator or a real Apple II computer.

All that you need to know to start playing is in the Wizardry Proving Grounds v3.0 Additional Players Guide included on the web page. Also includes the original Apple II DOS 3.3 and ProDOS disk images as well as all the details of the fixes and enhancements.

Web site and download: https://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/proving-grounds-v3

Enjoy!

Snafaru

Re: Wizardry re-engineering

<ac981610-26cc-4dd4-a593-2fee077302cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5535&group=comp.sys.apple2#5535

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 07:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: thefad...@gmail.com (fadden)
 by: fadden - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:30 UTC

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/15/23874537/wizardry-remaster-digital-eclipse-steam-gog

Now in Early Access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2518960/Wizardry_Proving_Grounds_of_the_Mad_Overlord/

"Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is built directly on top of the original 1981 game's code. Although it looks all new, underneath the hood is the authentic game. You can even view the original Apple II interface as you play."