Trying to establish voice contact ... please ____yell into keyboard.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Something Strange With Media Player

SubjectAuthor
* Something Strange With Media PlayerRicardo Jimenez
+- Re: Something Strange With Media PlayerSilverSlimer
+* Re: Something Strange With Media PlayerBoris
|`- Re: Something Strange With Media PlayerSilverSlimer
`* Re: Something Strange With Media PlayerPaul
 `- Re: Something Strange With Media PlayerPaul

1
Something Strange With Media Player

<rc1pgg9cq8ep70mp50ci8r250utqftnrsb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49658&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49658

From: ricky...@earthlink.net (Ricardo Jimenez)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Something Strange With Media Player
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 20:48:09 -0400
 by: Ricardo Jimenez - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 00:48 UTC

I set things up for ripping an audio CD to my computer. It seemed to
go through the motions of ripping and the CD was ejected from the disc
drive as I specified. I looked for the results of the rip in the
specified folder and nothing was there!! Version 21H1 of Windows10.
What is going on?

Re: Something Strange With Media Player

<Uq0PI.1524$FI.1331@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49659&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49659

Subject: Re: Something Strange With Media Player
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 21:41:07 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 01:41 UTC

On 2021-08-05 8:48 p.m., Ricardo Jimenez wrote:
> I set things up for ripping an audio CD to my computer. It seemed to
> go through the motions of ripping and the CD was ejected from the disc
> drive as I specified. I looked for the results of the rip in the
> specified folder and nothing was there!! Version 21H1 of Windows10.
> What is going on?

You used Windows Media Player to rip? If so, I recommend the free
MusicBee available in the Windows Store. Not only is it not grossly
outdated like Windows Media Player is, but it allows you to rip in more
than a handful of formats AND securely since rips don't always succeed
as intended.

As for the music, it would either be in your personal music folder or
the public one.

--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer

Re: Something Strange With Media Player

<XnsAD7DC49A799F6nospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49660&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49660

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 02:19:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 02:19 UTC

Ricardo Jimenez <rickyjim@earthlink.net> wrote in

> I set things up for ripping an audio CD to my computer. It seemed to
> go through the motions of ripping and the CD was ejected from the disc
> drive as I specified. I looked for the results of the rip in the
> specified folder and nothing was there!! Version 21H1 of Windows10.
> What is going on?

Launch your Windows Music Player.

Click on Tools>Options> and select the Rip Music tab. The location of your
ripped CDs will be shown, there.

BTW, I tried Music Bee, and I wanted to like it, but I found it completely
unintelligible.

Re: Something Strange With Media Player

<sei73r$v1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49661&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49661

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 22:34:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 02:34 UTC

Ricardo Jimenez wrote:
> I set things up for ripping an audio CD to my computer. It seemed to
> go through the motions of ripping and the CD was ejected from the disc
> drive as I specified. I looked for the results of the rip in the
> specified folder and nothing was there!! Version 21H1 of Windows10.
> What is going on?

Sometimes, media you purchase, is protected by root kits.

Microsoft would honor any DRM it finds on the media,
including whatever some database tells it.

As an alternative, you can try EAC. When it rips, it
compares the checksum of the rip against the database,
to make sure your copy is not corrupted.

https://www.fosshub.com/Exact-Audio-Copy.html
https://www.fosshub.com/Exact-Audio-Copy-old.html

Paul

Re: Something Strange With Media Player

<seia2b$243$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49665&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49665

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 23:24:59 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 03:24 UTC

Paul wrote:
> Ricardo Jimenez wrote:
>> I set things up for ripping an audio CD to my computer. It seemed to
>> go through the motions of ripping and the CD was ejected from the disc
>> drive as I specified. I looked for the results of the rip in the
>> specified folder and nothing was there!! Version 21H1 of Windows10.
>> What is going on?
>
> Sometimes, media you purchase, is protected by root kits.
>
> Microsoft would honor any DRM it finds on the media,
> including whatever some database tells it.
>
> As an alternative, you can try EAC. When it rips, it
> compares the checksum of the rip against the database,
> to make sure your copy is not corrupted.
>
> https://www.fosshub.com/Exact-Audio-Copy.html
> https://www.fosshub.com/Exact-Audio-Copy-old.html
>
> Paul

Here's another description.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Exact-Audio-Copy

And this mentions some of the attempts to "protect" CD-DA.
There is even a rootkit in the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_and_DVD_copy_protection

Paul

Re: Something Strange With Media Player

<hmaPI.573$CgPc.523@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49687&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49687

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:58:52 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 12:58 UTC

On 2021-08-05 10:19 p.m., Boris wrote:
> Ricardo Jimenez <rickyjim@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> I set things up for ripping an audio CD to my computer. It seemed to
>> go through the motions of ripping and the CD was ejected from the disc
>> drive as I specified. I looked for the results of the rip in the
>> specified folder and nothing was there!! Version 21H1 of Windows10.
>> What is going on?
>
> Launch your Windows Music Player.
>
> Click on Tools>Options> and select the Rip Music tab. The location of your
> ripped CDs will be shown, there.
>
> BTW, I tried Music Bee, and I wanted to like it, but I found it completely
> unintelligible.

Again, it is in every possible way better than Windows Media Player. To
give you an idea, Windows Media Player doesn't even save ratings to a
M4A music file. It'll play it, but if you want to remember that it is a
5-star song and want to automatically make a 5-star playlist, you can't.
Besides, what would be the point of using a media player which can't
securely rip? Are we going to be stupid enough to believe that CDs don't
get scratched and therefore lead to corrupted music files? Are we going
to ignore than CD-readers can misread data because of a sudden movement
of the computer itself or because it couldn't calibrate itself properly?
What about CDs which, even without scratches, become unreadable simply
because too much time has passed and absolutely require to be read over
and over just to extract the data properly?

--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Something Strange With Media Player