computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Solitaire and similar window 7 games

SubjectAuthor
* Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesknuttle
+* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesBears
|`* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesZaidy036
| `- Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesBears
+* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesMike Swift
|`* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesPaul
| `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesBears
|  `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesBears
|   `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesKen Blake
|    `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesBears
|     `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesBears
|      `- Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesKen Blake
+- Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesPeter Jason
`* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesT
 `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  +- Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesDonald G. Davis
  +* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesT
  |`- Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesR.Wieser
  `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesMichael Trew
   `* Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesJ. P. Gilliver (John)
    `- Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 gamesMichael Trew

1
Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<sem2um$u1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49760&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49760

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Solitaire and similar window 7 games
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 09:48:05 -0400
 by: knuttle - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 13:48 UTC

Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally killed
of and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?

Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc

For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever
MS upgraded windows.

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<semc0n$smr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49770&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49770

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 12:22:47 -0400
 by: Bears - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 16:22 UTC

On 8/7/21 9:48 AM, this is what knuttle wrote:

> Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally killed of and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>
> Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>

> For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever MS upgraded windows.
That's the issue with putting unapproved software into 10, if you look at it from MS's viewpoint. They don't know it's there and that's the
end of the story.

I assume you're talking about the patched copies of the games made to run under 8 and 10. I had them for 8 but never loaded them in 10. I
have a solitaire game that has 10 or so card games and enough to keep me entertained. I also have my font sizes adjusted in the registry and
every reload it's get dumped, and I have to reload a .reg file, but that's a minor issue, probably as bad as your issue.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<semkmg$pll$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49797&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49797

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 18:50:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9+TAehhxa6fCbAl8prpPgpAjzIY=
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 18:50 UTC

Bears <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/21 9:48 AM, this is what knuttle wrote:
>>
>> Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally killed
>> of and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>>
>> Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>>

>> For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever
>> MS upgraded windows.
> That's the issue with putting unapproved software
>> into 10, if you look at it from MS's viewpoint. They don't know it's
>> there and that's the
> end of the story.
>
> I assume you're talking about the patched copies of the games made to run
> under 8 and 10. I had them for 8 but never loaded them in 10. I
> have a solitaire game that has 10 or so card games and enough to keep me
> entertained. I also have my font sizes adjusted in the registry and
> every reload it's get dumped, and I have to reload a .reg file, but
> that's a minor issue, probably as bad as your issue.

Get Pysol.......
Free games including all from Win

--
Zaidy036

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<semnbd$bef$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49802&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49802

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 15:36:13 -0400
 by: Bears - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 19:36 UTC

On 8/7/21 2:50 PM, this is what Zaidy036 wrote:
> Get Pysol.......
> Free games including all from Win

Pysolfc is in the Mint 20 synaptic. So it's easy to install, but version 2.6 not 2.12, still it's available.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<bcLGiLAN6xDhFw0i@ntlworld.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49857&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49857

From: mike.sw...@yeton.co.uk (Mike Swift)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 01:00:13 +0100
 by: Mike Swift - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 00:00 UTC

In article <sem2um$u1d$1@dont-email.me>, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> writes

>Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally killed of
>and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>
>Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>

>For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever MS
>upgraded windows.

I am running Windows 10 64 bit Home and have just searched my archives
and found Windows 7 Games for Windows 10 & 8.

It installed to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games and worked perfectly.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<lobugg5ud5oalklpjcn6hqmfdoi3dn3aea@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49859&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49859

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 11:12:08 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 01:12 UTC

On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 09:48:05 -0400, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally killed
>of and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>
>Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>

>For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever
>MS upgraded windows.

I feel your pain.

For a long time I have missed the little cat on the screen of Access
2000. How can I get him/her back?

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<senfvq$28n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49862&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49862

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 19:36:42 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 02:36 UTC

On 8/7/21 6:48 AM, knuttle wrote:

> Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally killed
> of and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>
> Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>

> For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever
> MS upgraded windows.

Hi Knuttle,

Not what you asked, but when does that stop me!!!

I tell my customers to go to the M$ Store and pick
out any free one that you want. And don't give
them your credit card !!!!!

-T

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<seo12b$j0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49878&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49878

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 03:28:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 07:28 UTC

Mike Swift wrote:
> In article <sem2um$u1d$1@dont-email.me>, knuttle
> <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> writes
>>
>> Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally
>> killed of
>> and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>>
>> Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>>

>> For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever MS
>> upgraded windows.
>
> I am running Windows 10 64 bit Home and have just searched my archives
> and found Windows 7 Games for Windows 10 & 8.
>
> It installed to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games and worked perfectly.
>
> Mike

The reason these things were placed in a 100MB download,
was not because of any inherent difficulty tracking down
the EXE files.

It's because the header of the EXE is edited, to fool
some rule-based treatment in newer OSes. Normally,
the newer OS would deny running those. But someone
figured out, like about four bytes to edit, to make
them run on a newer OS. I could not find any documentation
explaining what they were changing. It might have been
someone over on MDL.

Some of those files have been edited more than once.

The 100MB package then, presents a set of properly
edited files for home consumption.

That's my understanding.

Paul

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<seoesi$7iv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49885&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49885

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 07:24:02 -0400
 by: Bears - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 11:24 UTC

On 8/8/21 3:28 AM, this is what Paul wrote:
> Mike Swift wrote:
>> In article <sem2um$u1d$1@dont-email.me>, knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> writes
>>>
>>> Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally killed of
>>> and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>>>
>>> Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>>>

>>> For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when ever MS
>>> upgraded windows.
>>
>> I am running Windows 10 64 bit Home and have just searched my archives and found Windows 7 Games for Windows 10 & 8.
>>
>> It installed to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games and worked perfectly.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> The reason these things were placed in a 100MB download,
> was not because of any inherent difficulty tracking down
> the EXE files.
>
> It's because the header of the EXE is edited, to fool
> some rule-based treatment in newer OSes. Normally,
> the newer OS would deny running those. But someone
> figured out, like about four bytes to edit, to make
> them run on a newer OS. I could not find any documentation
> explaining what they were changing. It might have been
> someone over on MDL.
>
> Some of those files have been edited more than once.
>
> The 100MB package then, presents a set of properly
> edited files for home consumption.
>
> That's my understanding.
>
>    Paul

I did a diff one time of the exe files and yes, it was that simple. I even had a text file of the diffs for future reference (gone forever
now). There is also need for one CardGames.dll file that needed to placed in each game folder since it could not be put in the normal path
for dll files for installs.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<seohsh$qpn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49889&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49889

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 08:15:13 -0400
 by: Bears - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 12:15 UTC

On 8/8/21 7:24 AM, this is what Bears wrote:
> On 8/8/21 3:28 AM, this is what Paul wrote:
>> Mike Swift wrote:
>>> In article <sem2um$u1d$1@dont-email.me>, knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> writes

>>> I am running Windows 10 64 bit Home and have just searched my archives and found Windows 7 Games for Windows 10 & 8.
>>>
>>> It installed to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games and worked perfectly.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> The reason these things were placed in a 100MB download,
>> was not because of any inherent difficulty tracking down
>> the EXE files.
>>
>> It's because the header of the EXE is edited, to fool
>> some rule-based treatment in newer OSes. Normally,
>> the newer OS would deny running those. But someone
>> figured out, like about four bytes to edit, to make
>> them run on a newer OS. I could not find any documentation
>> explaining what they were changing. It might have been
>> someone over on MDL.
>>
>> Some of those files have been edited more than once.
>>
>> The 100MB package then, presents a set of properly
>> edited files for home consumption.
>>
>> That's my understanding.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> I did a diff one time of the exe files and yes, it was that simple.  I even had a text file of the diffs for future reference (gone forever
> now).   There is also need for one CardGames.dll file that needed to placed in each game folder since it could not be put in the normal path
> for dll files for installs.

Well, my copy of the MS Games doesn't work in the new Windows 11 Insider build 22000.120
I might try it in my Windows 10 later, but....

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<wMmM4LCxk9DhFwxG@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49894&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49894

Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 14:16:33 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 13:16 UTC

On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 19:36:42, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote (my
>On 8/7/21 6:48 AM, knuttle wrote:
>> Will Windows 7 games run under windows 10 or will they be finally
>>killed of and we will be forced to use the ad filled replacements?
>> Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Mahjong Titans, etc
>> For the last while I have had to reinstall them periodically when
>>ever MS upgraded windows.
>
>Hi Knuttle,
>
>Not what you asked, but when does that stop me!!!
>
>I tell my customers to go to the M$ Store and pick
>out any free one that you want. And don't give
>them your credit card !!!!!
>
>-T

If we're doing "not what you asked": I have something called sol.exe on
this W7 machine, that I've obviously transferred from an earlier one,
and it works fine - I occasionally play it rather than the W7 one. It's
quite nostalgic:
o no sound effects
o no hints
o squarer cards (still rounded, but from lower resolutions)
o you have to turn over the cards yourself (gee, what a hardship! I
actually find that useful)
o the "card waterfall" when it works out is manic on a W7 system!

It's 171,392 bytes, and my copy is dated 199-4-23 23:22 (though may be
older). It's version 4.10.0.1998, so probably came from Windows 98.

Grief generates a huge energy in you and it's better for everybody if you
harness it to do something. - Judi Dench, RT 2015/2/28-3/6

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<inagb6F4magU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49927&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#49927

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 09:50:46 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 16:50 UTC

On 8/8/2021 5:15 AM, Bears wrote:

> Well, my copy of the MS Games doesn't work in the new Windows 11 Insider build 22000.120
> I might try it in my Windows 10 later, but....

Where did you get your copy?

I don't know about Windows 11, but what you can get at
https://winaero.com/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/ works in Windows 10.

--
Ken

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<sepg9q$lin$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50022&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50022

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 16:54:18 -0400
 by: Bears - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 20:54 UTC

On 8/8/21 12:50 PM, this is what Ken Blake wrote:
> On 8/8/2021 5:15 AM, Bears wrote:
>
>> Well, my copy of the MS Games doesn't work in the new Windows 11 Insider build 22000.120
>> I might try it in my Windows 10 later, but....
>

> Where did you get your copy?
>
> I don't know about Windows 11, but what you can get at https://winaero.com/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/ works in Windows 10.

A super old old copy that I've had from Windows 8.1 days. It's archive on a local hard drive.
Quite possible there is an issue with it. I'll try your link. If I can get to windows 10 and test, I'll report back.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<sepich$gen$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50025&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50025

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:29:53 -0400
 by: Bears - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 21:29 UTC

On 8/8/21 4:54 PM, this is what Bears wrote:
> On 8/8/21 12:50 PM, this is what Ken Blake wrote:
>> On 8/8/2021 5:15 AM, Bears wrote:
>>
>>> Well, my copy of the MS Games doesn't work in the new Windows 11 Insider build 22000.120
>>> I might try it in my Windows 10 later, but....
>>

>> Where did you get your copy?
>>
>> I don't know about Windows 11, but what you can get at https://winaero.com/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/ works in Windows 10.
>>

> A super old old copy that I've had from Windows 8.1 days.  It's archive on a local hard drive.
> Quite possible there is an issue with it.  I'll try your link.   If I can get to windows 10 and test, I'll report back.

Your link works great. My copy was just the folders and no install. You had to create links and put them on your menu. I like yours
better. And it works in the new Windows 11 dev version 22000.120 FYI (or anyones).

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<1628462366.818317@nyx2.nyx.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50041&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50041

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
From: dgda...@blackhole.nyx.net (Donald G. Davis)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!2a07:8080:119:fe:96e5:a795:b76a:6816.MISMATCH!news.newsdemon.com!not-for-mail
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 22:39:27 +0000
 by: Donald G. Davis - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 22:39 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> writes:

>If we're doing "not what you asked": I have something called sol.exe on
>this W7 machine, that I've obviously transferred from an earlier one,
>and it works fine - I occasionally play it rather than the W7 one. It's
>quite nostalgic:
>o no sound effects
>o no hints
>o squarer cards (still rounded, but from lower resolutions)
>o you have to turn over the cards yourself (gee, what a hardship! I
>actually find that useful)
>o the "card waterfall" when it works out is manic on a W7 system!

>It's 171,392 bytes, and my copy is dated 199-4-23 23:22 (though may be
>older). It's version 4.10.0.1998, so probably came from Windows 98.
>--
>J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Yes, that's the Win98 version of SOL.EXE. Mine is dated 5-11-98. I
haven't tried it in higher versions of Windows. The "waterfall" is manic
enough in 98! I think it was carried over from Windows 3.1.

--Donald Davis

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<inb96sF9kq1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50063&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50063

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 16:55:08 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 23:55 UTC

On 8/8/2021 2:29 PM, Bears wrote:
> On 8/8/21 4:54 PM, this is what Bears wrote:

>>> Where did you get your copy?
>>>
>>> I don't know about Windows 11, but what you can get at https://winaero.com/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/ works in Windows 10.
>>>

>> A super old old copy that I've had from Windows 8.1 days.  It's archive on a local hard drive.
>> Quite possible there is an issue with it.  I'll try your link.   If I can get to windows 10 and test, I'll report back.
>>

> Your link works great. My copy was just the folders and no install. You had to create links and put them on your menu. I like yours
> better. And it works in the new Windows 11 dev version 22000.120 FYI (or anyones).

Great--glad to hear it.

--
Ken

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<sepshm$dic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50065&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50065

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:23:17 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 00:23 UTC

On 8/7/21 7:36 PM, T wrote:>>
Not what you asked, but when does that stop me!!!

On 8/8/21 6:16 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrot> If we're doing "not what
you asked":

I always write that in when I am going off on a
tangent as personally find it really annoying
when I ask a question and someone thinks they
know better than I do why I want the information
and then get really pissed at me when they find
out I did not use the tangent they went off on.
Not this group that I can remember, but comp.os.linux.misc
is really bad at it.

"YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THE REASON WHY YOU ASKED!!!
You left out a lot of information. YOU KEPT US
IN THE DARK." [name calling ensues]

"You did to answer the question I asked."

I usually use the Fedora mailing list because as
this stupidity does not happen over there.

Some times I deliberately do not give the big picture,
just because I do not want the nice guys on a group
to do my research for me when I usually already know
what they will find and I am only after a single
puzzle piece. I will usually do a follow up after
figuring things out completely, then I will tell
them the big picture.

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<seq4ht$ebu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50104&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50104

From: mt999...@ymail.com (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 22:39:55 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 02:39 UTC

On 8/8/2021 9:16 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> If we're doing "not what you asked": I have something called sol.exe on
> this W7 machine, that I've obviously transferred from an earlier one,
> and it works fine - I occasionally play it rather than the W7 one. It's
> quite nostalgic:
> o no sound effects
> o no hints
> o squarer cards (still rounded, but from lower resolutions)
> o you have to turn over the cards yourself (gee, what a hardship! I
> actually find that useful)
> o the "card waterfall" when it works out is manic on a W7 system!
>
> It's 171,392 bytes, and my copy is dated 199-4-23 23:22 (though may be
> older). It's version 4.10.0.1998, so probably came from Windows 98.

I haven't played Windows Solitaire since 9x days. Why did they get rid
of the waterfall thing? I'm am (or at least was) used to clicking on
the card to turn it over.

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<nmepyxiM9PEhFwIT@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50125&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50125

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 11:11:24 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 10:11 UTC

On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 at 22:39:55, Michael Trew <mt999999@ymail.com> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>I haven't played Windows Solitaire since 9x days. Why did they get rid

I once heard a (Microsoft?) person saying that the real purpose of at
least Solitaire (which in UK used to be better known as "patience" - the
card game anyway; solitaire was a marble-jumping game) and Minesweeper
was to be mouse-use training aids, but if they'd called them that,
nobody would have used them, so they called them games (or rather Games
- They Like To Capitalise Everything).

>of the waterfall thing? I'm am (or at least was) used to clicking on
>the card to turn it over.

Oh, has it gone in 10? It's still there in the 7 Solitaire; I didn't
mean it had gone, just that the one in the '98 version goes very fast on
a modern machine. (The one in the 7 version is slower.)

"Get off my turf!" screamed Pooh, as he shot at Paddington.

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<serbt3$hki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50140&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#50140

From: mt999...@ymail.com (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 09:51:31 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 13:51 UTC

On 8/9/2021 6:11 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 at 22:39:55, Michael Trew <mt999999@ymail.com> wrote
> (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>> I haven't played Windows Solitaire since 9x days. Why did they get rid
>
> I once heard a (Microsoft?) person saying that the real purpose of at
> least Solitaire (which in UK used to be better known as "patience" - the
> card game anyway; solitaire was a marble-jumping game) and Minesweeper
> was to be mouse-use training aids, but if they'd called them that,
> nobody would have used them, so they called them games (or rather Games
> - They Like To Capitalise Everything).
>
>> of the waterfall thing? I'm am (or at least was) used to clicking on
>> the card to turn it over.
>
> Oh, has it gone in 10? It's still there in the 7 Solitaire; I didn't
> mean it had gone, just that the one in the '98 version goes very fast on
> a modern machine. (The one in the 7 version is slower.)

Oh, I didn't realize what you were saying. I have no clue on 10; I've
never used newer than Windows 7.

Re: Solitaire and similar window 7 games

<t6sqs9$rg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=63160&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#63160

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 11:43:24 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 28 May 2022 09:43 UTC

T,

> Some times I deliberately do not give the big picture,

Nowerdays I seldom do, because I've had /way/ to many people go off
"answering" stuff I never asked and already have hammered down.

Its both tiring to deal with those people as well as a problem because it
threathens to either drown out actual replies or causes people which could
have something usefull to say to turn away.

That ofcourse does not mean I'm not thankfull for related /suggestions/.

An old thread by the way. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser