From: Bil...@BillyJ.com (BillyJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Network Assets
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:48:51 -0700
 by: BillyJ - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 17:48 UTC

On Laptop Win XP Pro SP3 on WiFi to the LAN. Can access the internet.

Laptop sees LAN and all the important devices, NAS and other PCs have a
drive letter assigned and are accessible.

If I go to My Network Place I see the usual plus a whole bunch of
folders on other PCs on the LAN that I can access and see files and
folders there just fine.

If I go to Microsoft Windows Network I see the one and only workgroup
that all PCs on the LAN are assigned.

If I try to open the Workgroup it says I cannot. Too many assignments.

OK so if that means the folders I see under My Network Places then I
wish to remove some of those I do not need.

However, I can find no way to remove those folder links.

How do I remove those links ?

Thank you.

Re: Network Assets

<1airdqywxzizu.1cml1zvlafs1o$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4986&group=alt.windows7.general#4986

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Network Assets
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 05:29:48 +0700
 by: JJ - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 22:29 UTC

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:48:51 -0700, BillyJ wrote:
> On Laptop Win XP Pro SP3 on WiFi to the LAN. Can access the internet.
>
> Laptop sees LAN and all the important devices, NAS and other PCs have a
> drive letter assigned and are accessible.
>
> If I go to My Network Place I see the usual plus a whole bunch of
> folders on other PCs on the LAN that I can access and see files and
> folders there just fine.
>
> If I go to Microsoft Windows Network I see the one and only workgroup
> that all PCs on the LAN are assigned.
>
> If I try to open the Workgroup it says I cannot. Too many assignments.
>
> OK so if that means the folders I see under My Network Places then I
> wish to remove some of those I do not need.
>
> However, I can find no way to remove those folder links.
>
> How do I remove those links ?
>
> Thank you.

Check for folder shortcut files (*.lnk) under this folder:

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

Re: Network Assets

<MPG.3da9133a685b9bdb98ffcb@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4988&group=alt.windows7.general#4988

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 17:31:24 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 00:31 UTC

On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 05:29:48 +0700, JJ wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:48:51 -0700, BillyJ wrote:
> > [quoted text muted]
> >
> > How do I remove those links ?
>
> Check for folder shortcut files (*.lnk) under this folder:
>
> C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

Or just type this in the taskbar's "Type here to search" window:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

Environment variables are great timesavers, but hardly anyone uses
them any more.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...