Subject: Change the default terminal on windows
From: SyntaxErrorX00
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 16:22 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 09:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: samirmat...@gmail.com (SyntaxErrorX00)
Hello
I am using gnuplot 5.2.7.

gnuplot/wgnuplot use wxt as the default terminal. I want to change that to be 'qt' instead so every time I have to run "set term qt" so I am looking for a way to change it permanently. I tried everything I found on internet:
* create GNUPLOT.INI and insert "set term qt",
* Create an environment variable GNUPLOT pointing to that directory (My home directory, C:\Users\username).

* Tried to change the file wgnuplot.ini in my home directory.
* Tried to change the file wgnuplot in C:\Program Files\gnuplot\share\wgnuplt.ini

But unfortuately that have no effect, every time I open gnuplot I get the default terminal wxt.

Could you please tell me how can I change that?

Subject: Re: Change the default terminal on windows
From: Karl Ratzsch
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 18:38 UTC
From: mail....@gmx.net (Karl Ratzsch)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 20:38:53 +0200
View all headers
Am 25.09.2019 um 18:22 schrieb SyntaxErrorX00:

gnuplot/wgnuplot use wxt as the default terminal. I want to change that to be 'qt' instead so every time I have to run "set term qt" so I am looking for a way to change it permanently. I tried everything I found on internet:
* create GNUPLOT.INI and insert "set term qt",
* Create an environment variable GNUPLOT pointing to that directory (My home directory, C:\Users\username).

* Tried to change the file wgnuplot.ini in my home directory.
* Tried to change the file wgnuplot in C:\Program Files\gnuplot\share\wgnuplt.ini

But unfortuately that have no effect, every time I open gnuplot I get the default terminal wxt.

Could you please tell me how can I change that?

You have to place the gnuplot.ini (not wgnuplot.ini, thats just for
the windows GUI) file in the $APPDATA directory, which usually is
<your home directory>\appdata\roaming

(For some unknown reason, the ~\appdata directory is hidden by
default. First thing I change on every windows machine, right after
disabling the system sounds.)

Enter "set APPDATA" on the command line to check.

Or you reinstall gnuplot and choose a different default terminal in
the installer.

Hth, Karl

From: s1291
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 08:51 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 01:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: samirmat...@gmail.com (s1291)
On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 7:38:48 PM UTC+1, Karl Ratzsch wrote:
[...]

Thank you for you reply,
Sorry I forgot to mention that I tried also with what you suggested: to add gnuplot.ini to %appdata% folder but unfortunately it didn't work.
So I will try the second suggestion.
Regards

From: Jörg_Buchholz
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:00 UTC
From: bookwood...@freenet.de (Jörg_Buchholz)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:00:03 +0200
View all headers
On 26.09.2019 10:51, s1291 wrote:
[...]

Hi,

are you sure that it not works? It looks like gnuplot always tell you at
the start "Terminal type is now 'windows'", but the terminal is set to
what you give in the gnuplot.ini.

Jörg

From: s1291
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 17:18 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:18:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: samirmat...@gmail.com (s1291)
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 12:00:04 PM UTC+2, Jörg Buchholz wrote:
[...]

Hello Jörg,
Yes I am sure, I tried to create a the file %appdata%\gnuplot.ini with the following content:
set terminal qt
But that has no effect.
I changed the content to
Terminal=qt

That has also no effect (I don't know if that syntax is valid or not but at least I tried it).

From: Jörg_Buchholz
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 11:22 UTC
From: bookwood...@freenet.de (Jörg_Buchholz)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:22:55 +0200
View all headers
On 26.09.2019 19:18, s1291 wrote:
[...]

My "gnuplot.in" is at "C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\gnuplot.ini"
and all what I tell gnuplot is done.

The simple syntax is:

set term qt enhanced
set samples 1000
set grid
set encoding utf8

But I must do a "show terminal" to see what terminal is really set. At
the start gnuplot always says the terminal is set to "windows".

It is WIN 7 with gnuplot 5.2

Jörg

From: s1291
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:53 UTC
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder7.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!j16no3814507qtl.0!news-out.google.com!x9ni582qti.1!nntp.google.com!j16no3814495qtl.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 06:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: samirmat...@gmail.com (s1291)
View all headers
On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 1:22:57 PM UTC+2, Jörg Buchholz wrote:
[...]

It is not clear what you are asking for. I assume you want to change the default terminal to something like qt. The simple solution is to re-install gnuplot and choose qt as the default terminal from the installer.