Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 12:05:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Vulcan drives
From: waynejst...@gmail.com (waynej...@gmail.com)
 by: waynej...@gmail.com - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 20:05 UTC

I have half a dozen Vulcan drives. Mostly I use the cards with CF adapters but I like having hard drives in the power supplies. I have vintage drives for all the power supplies but most of them are noisier than more modern drives and slow as well. I don’t want to put a CF adapter inside the power supply because I can just plug it directly into the card. The two options I looked at were to copy an image of a drive onto a 250gb SSD with ide adapter and more recent ide hard drives. In this case 180gb hard drives. That worked well, the Vulcan cards think they’re 40 and 100mb hard drives. They were both pretty fast so I benchmarked them. The SSD, 180gb HD and CF benchmarked exactly the same. All of them are way faster than the Vulcan card. The hard drive does take a moment to spin up but I can’t seem to see any seek time. I wonder if the data is all on a few tracks that are pretty much under the heads all the time. The hard drives are pretty quiet, I almost have to put my ear up to the case to hear them. I’ll keep the original hard drives around in case I should ever want to reinstall them.
The original fans were pretty noisy. I could hear them in the next room. I tried peeling back the label and oiling them. That did help some but I decided to install new quiet fans.