Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 12:17:29 -0600
From: hughh...@earthlink.net (Hugh Hood)
Subject: Fujinet SmartPort Character Mode
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
 by: Hugh Hood - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 18:17 UTC

I've been following (though haven't participated) the discussions
elsewhere on the Fujinet SmartPort device and using its 'Character' (as
opposed to 'Block') mode to communicate with devices.

If you've played with the Fujinet in this context, do you have any idea
of the equivalent serial baud rate that is achievable in SmartPort
'Write' character mode?

From the sample code they posted modifying the IIc ROM to direct
serial comm to the SmartPort, it appears, much like with the ACIA, one
character at a time is sent between SmartPort calls.

My interest lies in sending printer communications to a local network
printer from Apple II programs. While the Fujinet guys have implemented
a 'Virtual Printer', that is not what I'm seeking, but rather having the
ability, given a printer at a fixed IP address (and RAW Port 9100), to
send Apple II print jobs straight to a network printer via the Fujinet
device.

It appears that for ProDOS 8 printing from commercial applications, not
much additional code is required. I'm pretty such I could do something
for AppleWorks that would handle that. For BASIC programs, ampersand
stuff would probably suffice.

For GS/OS stuff, I think one of the Port Drivers (probably one of the
simple ones for a parallel card) could be modified to do what was required.

One other thing -- does anyone know if the Fujinet, when communicating
with a fixed IP address, will automatically reconnect if the server on
the other end terminates the connection for lack of activity?

Thanks. I realize that I could ask these things on the other platforms,
but I'm reluctant to leave comp.sys.apple2 because the knowledge posted
here from long-time Apple II pros is easily searchable and long lasting.

Hugh Hood