"Silent gratitude isn't very much use to anyone." -- G. B. Stearn

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Re: resize ?

SubjectAuthor
* resize ?Vincent Coen
+* Re: resize ?Bobbie Sellers
|+- Re: resize ?William Unruh
|`- Re: resize ?Vincent Coen
`* Re: resize ?William Unruh
 `* Re: resize ?Vincent Coen
  `* Re: resize ?William Unruh
   `* Re: resize ?Vincent Coen
    `* Re: resize ?Bit Twister
     `- Re: resize ?Vincent Coen

1
resize ?

<1660405459@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5069&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5069

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: resize ?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:44:19 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:44 UTC

Hello All!

I am looking for the resize program that is some where within the X11
packages but I cannot find it.

Any one know just what x64 package it is in for MGA v8 ?

Thanks for any help,

Out of interest is there a MGA or other tools, which can be used to search
for such tools ?

Vincent

Re: resize ?

<td8hbl$2rk4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5070&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5070

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: resize ?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 08:52:21 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:52 UTC

On 8/13/22 08:44, Vincent Coen wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I am looking for the resize program that is some where within the X11
> packages but I cannot find it.

To resize what material or?

> Any one know just what x64 package it is in for MGA v8 ?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Out of interest is there a MGA or other tools, which can be used to search
> for such tools ?
>

> Vincent

For display does not the Computer Control Center still exist with a
hardware section and a display section?

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: resize ?

<td8hic$2s2t8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5071&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5071

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:55:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:55 UTC

No idea what you mean, but if you mean a package to resize disk
partitions, use gparted. If you mean something else you better state
what this program you are looking for is meant to do.

On 2022-08-13, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I am looking for the resize program that is some where within the X11
> packages but I cannot find it.
>
> Any one know just what x64 package it is in for MGA v8 ?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Out of interest is there a MGA or other tools, which can be used to search
> for such tools ?

urpmf /usr/bin/resize
urpmf /usr/sbin/resize
would look into all rpm packages to see which carries a program with
that name.

(eg if you mean the xterm program of that name, it is in the package
xterm

> Vincent

Re: resize ?

<td8kfa$2sc3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5072&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5072

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:45:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:45 UTC

On 2022-08-13, Bobbie Sellers <bliss@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On 8/13/22 08:44, Vincent Coen wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I am looking for the resize program that is some where within the X11
>> packages but I cannot find it.
>
> To resize what material or?
>>
>> Any one know just what x64 package it is in for MGA v8 ?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Out of interest is there a MGA or other tools, which can be used to search
>> for such tools ?
>>

>> Vincent
>

> For display does not the Computer Control Center still exist with a
> hardware section and a display section?

You mean Mageia Control Center ( mcc) ?

> bliss

Re: resize ?

<1660434649@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5075&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5075

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 00:50:49 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:50 UTC

Hello Bobbie!

Saturday August 13 2022 16:52, Bobbie Sellers wrote to All:

No that will not help and in any event does not handle display settings.

It has to be a program or library routine that can be called by a C
protocol program.

I am also 'assuming' how it will work will depend on the terminal program
used - there is a few of then, even for MGA.

> On 8/13/22 08:44, Vincent Coen wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I am looking for the resize program that is some where within the
>> X11 packages but I cannot find it.

> To resize what material or?
>>
>> Any one know just what x64 package it is in for MGA v8 ?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Out of interest is there a MGA or other tools, which can be used to
>> search for such tools ?
>>

>> Vincent

> For display does not the Computer Control Center still exist with
> a hardware section and a display section?

> bliss

> --
> bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Vincent

Re: resize ?

<1660434946@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5076&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5076

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 00:55:46 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:55 UTC

Hello William!

Saturday August 13 2022 16:55, William Unruh wrote to All:

> No idea what you mean, but if you mean a package to resize disk
> partitions, use gparted. If you mean something else you better state
> what this program you are looking for is meant to do.

> On 2022-08-13, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I am looking for the resize program that is some where within the
>> X11 packages but I cannot find it.
>>
>> Any one know just what x64 package it is in for MGA v8 ?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Out of interest is there a MGA or other tools, which can be used to
>> search for such tools ?

> urpmf /usr/bin/resize
> urpmf /usr/sbin/resize
> would look into all rpm packages to see which carries a program with
> that name.

Program or library call to resize a terminal when called by a C program.

The program is not installed here and both of those produces no results.

> (eg if you mean the xterm program of that name, it is in the package
> xterm

Have installed it but resize will not work - produces :

resize 110 45
resize: Can't set window size under VT100 emulation

Vincent

Re: resize ?

<td9m50$321tp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5077&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5077

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 02:20:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 02:20 UTC

On 2022-08-13, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello William!
>
> Saturday August 13 2022 16:55, William Unruh wrote to All:
>
> > No idea what you mean, but if you mean a package to resize disk
> > partitions, use gparted. If you mean something else you better state
> > what this program you are looking for is meant to do.
>

> > On 2022-08-13, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello All!
> >>
> >> I am looking for the resize program that is some where within the
> >> X11 packages but I cannot find it.
> >>
> >> Any one know just what x64 package it is in for MGA v8 ?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help,
> >>
> >> Out of interest is there a MGA or other tools, which can be used to
> >> search for such tools ?
>
> > urpmf /usr/bin/resize
> > urpmf /usr/sbin/resize
> > would look into all rpm packages to see which carries a program with
> > that name.
>
> Program or library call to resize a terminal when called by a C program.
>
> The program is not installed here and both of those produces no results.
>
> > (eg if you mean the xterm program of that name, it is in the package
> > xterm
>
> Have installed it but resize will not work - produces :
>
> resize 110 45
> resize: Can't set window size under VT100 emulation

Open an xterm window from the Mageia Application Menu->Tools
then type
resize. It will print the commands needed to set the window size

tunnel:0[unruh]>resize
COLUMNS=80;
LINES=24;
export COLUMNS LINES;
tunnel:0[unruh]>

Not terribly useful from my point of view.
man resize

> Vincent

Re: resize ?

<1660480580@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5078&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5078

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:36:20 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 12:36 UTC

Hello William!

Sunday August 14 2022 03:20, William Unruh wrote to All:

> On 2022-08-13, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello William!
>>
>> Saturday August 13 2022 16:55, William Unruh wrote to All:
>>
>> > No idea what you mean, but if you mean a package to resize disk
>> > partitions, use gparted. If you mean something else you better
>> state
>> > what this program you are looking for is meant to do.

>> > urpmf /usr/bin/resize
>> > urpmf /usr/sbin/resize
>> > would look into all rpm packages to see which carries a program
>> with
>> > that name.
>>
>> Program or library call to resize a terminal when called by a C
>> program.
>>
>> The program is not installed here and both of those produces no
>> results.
>>
>> > (eg if you mean the xterm program of that name, it is in the
>> package
>> > xterm
>>
>> Have installed it but resize will not work - produces :
>>
>> resize 110 45
>> resize: Can't set window size under VT100 emulation

> Open an xterm window from the Mageia Application Menu->Tools
> then type
> resize. It will print the commands needed to set the window size

> tunnel:0[unruh]>resize
> COLUMNS=80;
> LINES=24;
> export COLUMNS LINES;
> tunnel:0[unruh]>

> Not terribly useful from my point of view.
> man resize

resize
COLUMNS=80;
LINES=24;
export COLUMNS LINES;
[vince@applewood ~]$ resize 110 43
resize: Can't set window size under VT100 emulation

I think I must give up on this one and find another solution.

Basically when running some programs written in GnuCobol that have to run
within a terminal program that accepts and displays data I need the screen
to be 106 x 24 (or longer) instead of 80 x 24.

Within the program I capture the environment variable that has the Row and
Column sizes and check if it is the minimum size and if not, tell the user
to adjust the screen size and hit return where the program will retry the
screen size check etc.

I was looking for a way within the program (that is created via gcc) to
change these setting automatically at the start and possibly reverting back
at the end.

Some one suggest 'resize' but he runs on OSX and that is a BSD *nix system.

So not hardly a match for a Linux system, heck not even for a BSD with all
the changes done by apple.

Vincent

Re: resize ?

<slrntfij6i.2np7n.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5079&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5079

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 14:28:16 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 19:28 UTC

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:36:20 +0100, Vincent Coen wrote:
> Hello William!
>
> Sunday August 14 2022 03:20, William Unruh wrote to All:
>
> > On 2022-08-13, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> state

> >> with
> >>
> >> Program or library call to resize a terminal when called by a C
> >> program.
> >>
> >> The program is not installed here and both of those produces no
> >> results.

> >> package
> >>
> >> Have installed it but resize will not work - produces :
> >>
> >> resize 110 45
> >> resize: Can't set window size under VT100 emulation
>
> > Open an xterm window from the Mageia Application Menu->Tools
> > then type
> > resize. It will print the commands needed to set the window size
>
> > tunnel:0[unruh]>resize
> > COLUMNS=80;
> > LINES=24;
> > export COLUMNS LINES;
> > tunnel:0[unruh]>
>
> > Not terribly useful from my point of view.
> > man resize
>
> resize
> COLUMNS=80;
> LINES=24;
> export COLUMNS LINES;
> [vince@applewood ~]$ resize 110 43
> resize: Can't set window size under VT100 emulation
>
> I think I must give up on this one and find another solution.
>
> Basically when running some programs written in GnuCobol that have to run
> within a terminal program that accepts and displays data I need the screen
> to be 106 x 24 (or longer) instead of 80 x 24.
>
> Within the program I capture the environment variable that has the Row and
> Column sizes and check if it is the minimum size and if not, tell the user
> to adjust the screen size and hit return where the program will retry the
> screen size check etc.
>
> I was looking for a way within the program (that is created via gcc) to
> change these setting automatically at the start and possibly reverting back
> at the end.
>
> Some one suggest 'resize' but he runs on OSX and that is a BSD *nix system.
>
> So not hardly a match for a Linux system, heck not even for a BSD with all
> the changes done by apple.

Sounds like you need to use xterm commands. for example I have

$ echo $TERM
xterm

$ alias ww
alias ww='echo -ne '\''\033[?3h\033[?66h'\'''
$ alias wn
alias wn='echo -ne '\''\033[?3l\033[?66h'\'''

ww sets terminal to 132 chars wide or wn sets it back to 80 char wide.

No idea if there is a command for number of lines.

Quick google search suggested
https://www.math.utah.edu/docs/info/screen_10.html

ESC [ 8 ; Ph ; Pw t Resize the window to `Ph' lines and
`Pw' columns (SunView special)

It would be nice if you post a follow up Solution if you find one.

Re: resize ?

<1660579010@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5080&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5080

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 16:56:50 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:56 UTC

Hello Bit!

Sunday August 14 2022 20:28, Bit Twister wrote to All:

Does not work for me but xterm is for specific types of kit such as ~DEC
etc.

I just want to use a normal terminal program such as qterminal under kde
or similar.

No panic - it is a nice to have but looks like there is no solution.

I will put it down to *nix.

Vince