Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:54:02 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Subject: Printer drivers for Win 8 PC
 by: NY - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 20:54 UTC

A friend has a Win 8 (not 8.1) PC and wants a basic printer (speed and
photo print quality aren't important). Upgrading to Win 10 is not an
option: he doesn't want the hassle of the upgrade.

I've noticed that some printers are advertised as supporting both Win 7
and Win 10, but Win 8 is not mentioned.

Is there any reason why drivers will work on 7 and 10, but not 8?
Assuming that you use the correct number of bits (ie 32 bit versus 64
bit OS).

Trying to find a printer that is sold by Amazon which advertises Win 8
compatibility is a problem. Some say that you can use a driver for an
older printer to give *some* degree of functionality, but with maybe
poorer print quality on photos and/or printer-only without scanner.

Connectivity: it would be nice if the printer could be connected either
by USB or wifi, rather than wifi-only.

It ought to be a no-brainer, but it's a harder task than I thought it
would be.

Trying to use Win 8, with no Start button and with the stupid "mess of
tiles" start menu, is a nightmare. I installed Classic Shell for him but
he had some unrelated problem and PC World removed it and said he
shouldn't be using it, so he insists that it has to be the crappy Win 8
UI. It's like trying to drive wearing boxing gloves when all the
controls are in different places to what you're used to. The UI of Win 8
has got to be the worst thing that MS have ever unleashed on the public ;-(

Re: Printer drivers for Win 8 PC

<oos0lh5rei5kbltion7i7b3urib1s6utbf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5132&group=alt.windows7.general#5132

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Printer drivers for Win 8 PC
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 17:02:15 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 22:02 UTC

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:54:02 +0100, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>A friend has a Win 8 (not 8.1) PC and wants a basic printer (speed and
>photo print quality aren't important). Upgrading to Win 10 is not an
>option: he doesn't want the hassle of the upgrade.
>
>I've noticed that some printers are advertised as supporting both Win 7
>and Win 10, but Win 8 is not mentioned.
>
>Is there any reason why drivers will work on 7 and 10, but not 8?
>Assuming that you use the correct number of bits (ie 32 bit versus 64
>bit OS).
>
>Trying to find a printer that is sold by Amazon which advertises Win 8
>compatibility is a problem. Some say that you can use a driver for an
>older printer to give *some* degree of functionality, but with maybe
>poorer print quality on photos and/or printer-only without scanner.
>
>Connectivity: it would be nice if the printer could be connected either
>by USB or wifi, rather than wifi-only.
>
>It ought to be a no-brainer, but it's a harder task than I thought it
>would be.

Find one or more printers that you're interested in. Next, check the web
site for each of those printers, go to the Support section and look for
drivers, 'driver compatibility'.

IOW, don't look for a printer that supports Win 8, look for a printer
that has a driver that supports Win 8.

And no, I haven't seen a printer that works on 7 and 10, but not 8.

Re: Printer drivers for Win 8 PC

<tiq396$51j5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5135&group=alt.windows7.general#5135

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 20:03:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 00:03 UTC

On 10/19/2022 4:54 PM, NY wrote:
> A friend has a Win 8 (not 8.1) PC and wants a basic printer (speed and photo print quality aren't important). Upgrading to Win 10 is not an option: he doesn't want the hassle of the upgrade.
>
> I've noticed that some printers are advertised as supporting both Win 7 and Win 10, but Win 8 is not mentioned.
>
> Is there any reason why drivers will work on 7 and 10, but not 8? Assuming that you use the correct number of bits (ie 32 bit versus 64 bit OS).
>
> Trying to find a printer that is sold by Amazon which advertises Win 8 compatibility is a problem. Some say that you can use a driver for an older printer to give *some* degree of functionality, but with maybe poorer print quality on photos and/or printer-only without scanner.
>
> Connectivity: it would be nice if the printer could be connected either by USB or wifi, rather than wifi-only.
>
> It ought to be a no-brainer, but it's a harder task than I thought it would be.
>

> Trying to use Win 8, with no Start button and with the stupid "mess of tiles" start menu, is a nightmare. I installed Classic Shell for him but he had some unrelated problem and PC World removed it and said he shouldn't be using it, so he insists that it has to be the crappy Win 8 UI. It's like trying to drive wearing boxing gloves when all the controls are in different places to what you're used to. The UI of Win 8 has got to be the worst thing that MS have ever unleashed on the public ;-(

Visit the support page for the printer, on the web, and
check the OS support pulldown menu for real support info.

Paul