From: jim.be...@verizon.net (Jim)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Anyone Familiar With AOL "Identity Guard" ?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:32:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:32 UTC

Is anyone familiar with the AOL Identity Guard service that allegedly
"Helps protect your identity with IBM WatsonTM Artificial Intelligence
technology and provides proactive alerts when your identity might be
compromised."

I subscribed to Verizon Fios about 15 years ago, and Verizon provided
my mail service. A few years later, Verizon abandoned providing mail
service by handing it off to AOL, and I received a "free" AOL mail
service account.

I saw no need to change things, as my mail continued to work as
before, but recently an attempt was made to hack-crack my mail,
and AOL blocked it.

So far so good, but restarting my mail account ran into problems and
AOL will not provide technical support unless you are a paying
subscriber. I became a paying subscriber. This is in part because
AOL "free" service for years has been satisfactory, and in part
because I do not want to lose my old verizon e-mail address, which
I assume would result if I created a new "free" AOL mail account
to replace the blocked one.

So, among the services AOL is now making available to me (at a fee)
is the Identity Guard service cited in my first paragraph. I
would prefer to know more about it, and its value to someone using
Linux, before signing up for it.

Can anyone help on this issue?

Cheers!

jim b.