From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: A Must Read: Virus Alert: 31 Antivirus Statistics and Trends
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:55:10 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 14:55 UTC

Very Interesting page here. A lot more info is on it than the
bit I've posted here.

https://dataprot.net/statistics/antivirus-statistics/
---------------------------
Key Antivirus Stats

Over 350,000 pieces of malware are detected every day.

There are more than 970 million pieces of malware circulating the internet right now.

Only half of mobile devices in the US are protected by an antivirus.

Antivirus and firewall software market is worth over $37 billion.

ESET holds the biggest market share among Windows antivirus solutions.

Half of all malware attacks target the United States.

Antivirus Industry Statistics
The value of the antivirus and firewall software market is over $37 billion.

(MarketWatch)

Securing computers, smartphones, and other connected devices
from malicious software has proven to be extremely lucrative
for developers. Companies like McAfee and Symantec have
generated billions of dollars in revenue over the past
decade or so, and the whole market�s value is still rising.
Antivirus market share statistics show that ESET is the new
leader, with the 12.89% of the market.

(Statista)

The Bratislava-based creators of NOD32 antivirus have taken
the lead when it comes to protecting Windows users from
malicious software. This is now the most popular antivirus
program, overtaking McAfee Inc (11.9%) and Symantec
Corporation (10.27%).
The average cost of antivirus software is around $30 per
year.

(Amazon)

Buying antivirus software for your personal computer won�t
break your bank anymore. Annual licenses are affordable and
usually priced between $20 and $50 per machine. You can
expect to pay up to $80 if you need a more complete security
solution for your PC.
With a 10.17% share of the market, BitDefender is the most
popular free antivirus.

(Statista)

In the battle for the title of best free antivirus,
statistics are in favor of BitDefender, which finds itself
marginally ahead of Avast. The latter currently has a market
share of 10.09%, while the previous contender for this title
- Malwarebytes - has dropped down to 7.29%.
Every day, at least 350,000 new malicious programs are
detected.

Whether they are viruses, trojans, worms, or other unwanted
apps, malware just keeps on growing and spreading. Antivirus
statistics show significant growth in the number of viruses,
with 17.7 million malware programs being detected during
September 2019 alone.

There are more than 970 million pieces of malware
circulating the internet right now.

(AV-Test Institute)

The unstoppable growth and development of malware means
that, today, there are more of these harmful apps than ever
before. Annually, malware numbers grow by 100 million. This
growth has been especially prominent since 2013. Before
that, malware grew at a quarter of its current rate.
Antivirus Usage Statistics
More desktop users have antivirus software installed than
laptop users.

(Statista)

In the United States, desktop PCs tend to be better
protected against viruses than laptops. Around 89% of
desktop users use antivirus software, while 80% of laptop
users have installed antivirus software on their portable
computers.
Only half of the mobile devices in the US are protected by
antivirus.

(Statista)

Antivirus install share statistics definitely point to
mobile devices lagging behind their PC counterparts. Only
49% of smartphone and 50% of tablet owners have installed
antivirus protection on their devices.

(LOTS more at site.)

Re: A Must Read: Virus Alert: 31 Antivirus Statistics and Trends

<tjslrl$vu25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5197&group=alt.windows7.general#5197

From: dave61...@none.net (david c)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:49:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 02:49 UTC

On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 15:55:10 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Very Interesting page here. A lot more info is on it than the bit I've
> posted here.
>
> https://dataprot.net/statistics/antivirus-statistics/
> ---------------------------
> Key Antivirus Stats
>
> Over 350,000 pieces of malware are detected every day.
>
> There are more than 970 million pieces of malware circulating the
> internet right now.
>
>snipped>

When I used windows, I just used the one they supplied. Have been using
linux for quite a while and don't worry about virus attacks.
Just be careful on what you click on, keep image and data backups and
don't fall for one of the many phone scams you might get. If you want to
visit questionable sites, install VirtualBox or similar and use a free
linux distro.

Re: A Must Read: Virus Alert: 31 Antivirus Statistics and Trends

<tjtjgk$15kqm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5198&group=alt.windows7.general#5198

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 07:15:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 11:15 UTC

On 11/1/2022 10:49 PM, david c wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 15:55:10 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>
>> Very Interesting page here. A lot more info is on it than the bit I've
>> posted here.
>>
>> https://dataprot.net/statistics/antivirus-statistics/
>> ---------------------------
>> Key Antivirus Stats
>>
>> Over 350,000 pieces of malware are detected every day.
>>
>> There are more than 970 million pieces of malware circulating the
>> internet right now.
>>
>> snipped>
>
> When I used windows, I just used the one they supplied. Have been using
> linux for quite a while and don't worry about virus attacks.
> Just be careful on what you click on, keep image and data backups and
> don't fall for one of the many phone scams you might get. If you want to
> visit questionable sites, install VirtualBox or similar and use a free
> linux distro.

Of course you worry about malware on Linux!

It's one of the reasons they don't run as root all the time.
Running as an ordinary user, while you run Linux Firefox, is
all part of protecting yourself.

They use "safe hex" just as much as a Windows user. They do not
necessarily "tempt fate" by doing stupid stuff. Linux has its
own add-on security features (lock-down style), which can be
switched on for added security.

In the end, the major difference is, they don't use an AV.

Linux users frequently accept a .ppa without having any way
to vet the intentions of the publisher. Most of what runs
in Linux, comes through their Package Manager, which means
there is some amount of observation when the package is
built and put in the tree. But other paths, like the private
..ppa declaration, you are basically "trusting someone on the
Internet" to not overturn your machine. When you install
a .ppa and the program asks to be elevated when you get it,
that's a kind of "danger sign".

The average Linux user, is simply "more paranoid" than a
Windows user. And they automatically practice Safe hex
and take extra care with the handling of materials. If
all the (untrained) Internet Poker Playing Windows users
moved to Linux, Linux would be just as much of a cesspit
as any other OS.

Linux is becoming more locked down as time goes by.
The Ubuntu Snap Store, is an example of an attempt at it.
The Snap Store attempts to turn Linux into a "Smart Phone",
which is also where Windows is headed. And the Stores
that are provided for Smart Phones, are hardly an example
of carefully curated gardens. The Stores are full of crap
that does not belong there, or is not safe.

It's like living in a town which has nothing but "dark alleys"
to get mugged in. No place is really all that safe. All the
participants can do is tell you "my beating wasn't as bad,
in that particular alley".

Paul

Re: A Must Read: Virus Alert: 31 Antivirus Statistics and Trends

<tjtnm9$163hd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5199&group=alt.windows7.general#5199

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 23:26:46 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 12:26 UTC

david c wrote on 2/11/22 1:49 pm:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 15:55:10 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>
>> Very Interesting page here. A lot more info is on it than the bit I've
>> posted here.
>>
>> https://dataprot.net/statistics/antivirus-statistics/
>> ---------------------------
>> Key Antivirus Stats
>>
>> Over 350,000 pieces of malware are detected every day.
>>
>> There are more than 970 million pieces of malware circulating the
>> internet right now.
>>
>> snipped>
>
> When I used windows, I just used the one they supplied. Have been using
> linux for quite a while and don't worry about virus attacks.
> Just be careful on what you click on, keep image and data backups and
> don't fall for one of the many phone scams you might get. If you want to
> visit questionable sites, install VirtualBox or similar and use a free
> linux distro.

I have Linux as my primary OS and, basically, only boot (weekly) into my
Win7 installation to update the AVG Anti-Virus data so that it I *HAD*
to use my Win7 installation it would *only* be about a week out of date!
--
Daniel

Re: A Must Read: Virus Alert: 31 Antivirus Statistics and Trends

<tjtufm$16jta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5200&group=alt.windows7.general#5200

From: dave61...@none.net (david c)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 14:22:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 14:22 UTC

On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 23:26:46 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:

> david c wrote on 2/11/22 1:49 pm:
>> On Tue, 01 Nov 2022 15:55:10 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>
>>> Very Interesting page here. A lot more info is on it than the bit I've
>>> posted here.
>>>
>>> https://dataprot.net/statistics/antivirus-statistics/
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Key Antivirus Stats
>>>
>>> Over 350,000 pieces of malware are detected every day.
>>>
>>> There are more than 970 million pieces of malware circulating the
>>> internet right now.
>>>
>>> snipped>
>>
>> When I used windows, I just used the one they supplied. Have been using
>> linux for quite a while and don't worry about virus attacks.
>> Just be careful on what you click on, keep image and data backups and
>> don't fall for one of the many phone scams you might get. If you want
>> to visit questionable sites, install VirtualBox or similar and use a
>> free linux distro.
>>
> I have Linux as my primary OS and, basically, only boot (weekly) into my
> Win7 installation to update the AVG Anti-Virus data so that it I *HAD*
> to use my Win7 installation it would *only* be about a week out of date!

I keep a VirtualBox copy of win7 for a willmaker program, other than that
I don't have anything for which I need windows. I am fully aware that
this may not be the case for all users.