Earth is a beta site.

computers / alt.windows7.general / USB Drive not found in file manager

SubjectAuthor
* USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
+* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
|+* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerDavid E. Ross
||`- Re: USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
|`* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerPaul
| `* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
|  +* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerDavid E. Ross
|  |`- Re: USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
|  `* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerPaul
|   `* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
|    `* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerPaul
|     `* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
|      `- Re: USB Drive not found in file managerPaul
+- Re: USB Drive not found in file managergfretwell
`* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerJava Jive
 `* Re: USB Drive not found in file managerjetjock
  +* Re: USB Drive not found in file manager-new info!jetjock

Pages:123
USB Drive not found in file manager

<vp18mh9auvl20tsnqcavibki5nkev7cnsf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5201&group=alt.windows7.general#5201

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: USB Drive not found in file manager
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:39:17 -0500
 by: jetjock - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:39 UTC

SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
cannot be found in any file manager.

I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.

I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
success. Can anybody help?

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<b638mh956acvcin9batocf9bu0ije60a77@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5202&group=alt.windows7.general#5202

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: USB Drive not found in file manager
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:49:10 -0500
 by: jetjock - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:49 UTC

On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:39:17 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
wrote:

>SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
>drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
>plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
>faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
>yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
>cannot be found in any file manager.
>
>I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
>is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
>and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.
>
>I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
>success. Can anybody help?

After writing all this out I noticed the formatting as FAT32.
Reformatted to NTFS, but no help. Still can't find it.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk14s3$oob$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5203&group=alt.windows7.general#5203

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:30:10 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 19:30 UTC

On 11/3/2022 11:49 AM, jetjock wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:39:17 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
> wrote:
>
>> SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
>> drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
>> plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
>> faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
>> yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
>> cannot be found in any file manager.
>>
>> I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
>> is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
>> and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.
>>
>> I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
>> success. Can anybody help?
>
> After writing all this out I noticed the formatting as FAT32.
> Reformatted to NTFS, but no help. Still can't find it.

The following is based on my use of Windows 7. I would hope equivalents
exist on later versions of Windows.

When you open Computer (or My Computer), do you see it? If so, can you
open it?

In Control Panel, select Devices and Printers. Do you see it there? If
so, right-click and select Browse Files. Does it open?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk2ek5$1narb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5206&group=alt.windows7.general#5206

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:22:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 07:22 UTC

On 11/3/2022 2:49 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:39:17 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
> wrote:
>
>> SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
>> drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
>> plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
>> faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
>> yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
>> cannot be found in any file manager.
>>
>> I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
>> is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
>> and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.
>>
>> I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
>> success. Can anybody help?
>
> After writing all this out I noticed the formatting as FAT32.
> Reformatted to NTFS, but no help. Still can't find it.

In Disk Management, is a letter assigned to it ?

Try assigning a letter in disk management.
That's usually why mine go missing. No letter.

Another way to jam up a device, is to have two devices
with identical "disk identifiers" (clones), which will
force one device in Disk Management to have an "Offline" status.

You claim to have reformatted it, which implies a *lot*
of things worked.

FAT32 is not a drop-dead issue. It should still work
with FAT32, even in Windows 11.

However, you also need to find the yellow exclamation,
get the "Code 10" or whatever, and tell us exactly which
device has the "Code 10". There are a number of different
code values possible. It really should be pretty hard to have
a Code like that, and reformat a USB flash drive.

The driver on my USB3 stick is "USBSTOR.SYS". From MSFT.

The driver on my USB3 Asmedia hub is "asmthub3.sys"
and would be an Asmedia driver installed from a CD.
XHCI in Windows 7, is provided by third-party drivers
like that example.

The driver on my USB3 eXTensible Host controller
is asmbxhci.sys and asmbxhcicoinstaller.dll .

Host ------------ Hub -----------------X--------- Flash
Controller (inside chip) <connector> Stick

The Intel portion of the Win7 machine does not have USB3,
so I can't give driver names for it. USB3 was provided
by an Asmedia chip.

You can also use Uwe Siebers USBTreeView, for listing these
things, but the wealth of info in there might not immediately
be helpful, when you've already got a yellow exclamation to work on.
You want the yellow mark gone first, before moving on to the
next steps in debug. A yellow mark is not good... unless it is
for some hardware you are not using and don't care about.

Paul

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<a5camhd4kei9amm010ratlledk5bktrtsl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5210&group=alt.windows7.general#5210

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 11:34:48 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:34 UTC

I ended up loading a different mass storage driver to fix this
problem. Some drives worked, some didn't.
usbs121w7.exe

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<68damh1cspesd3334rmo3csk081b0nkp5u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5211&group=alt.windows7.general#5211

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 10:54:09 -0500
 by: jetjock - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:54 UTC

On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:30:10 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/3/2022 11:49 AM, jetjock wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:39:17 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
>>> drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
>>> plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
>>> faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
>>> yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
>>> cannot be found in any file manager.
>>>
>>> I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
>>> is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
>>> and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.
>>>
>>> I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
>>> success. Can anybody help?
>>
>> After writing all this out I noticed the formatting as FAT32.
>> Reformatted to NTFS, but no help. Still can't find it.

>The following is based on my use of Windows 7. I would hope equivalents
>exist on later versions of Windows.

I'm using Win 7.

>When you open Computer (or My Computer), do you see it? If so, can you
>open it?

No to both.

>In Control Panel, select Devices and Printers. Do you see it there? If
>so, right-click and select Browse Files. Does it open?

It is there, but it has the yellow exclamation point and that option
(browse files) is not there.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<46namhh878egpbkhnnlh7310l32r23sqqe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5213&group=alt.windows7.general#5213

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 14:03:23 -0500
 by: jetjock - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 19:03 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:22:46 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/3/2022 2:49 PM, jetjock wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:39:17 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
>>> drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
>>> plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
>>> faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
>>> yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
>>> cannot be found in any file manager.
>>>
>>> I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
>>> is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
>>> and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.
>>>
>>> I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
>>> success. Can anybody help?
>>
>> After writing all this out I noticed the formatting as FAT32.
>> Reformatted to NTFS, but no help. Still can't find it.

>In Disk Management, is a letter assigned to it ?

Yes. I assigned "x" to it.

>Try assigning a letter in disk management.
>That's usually why mine go missing. No letter.
>
>Another way to jam up a device, is to have two devices
>with identical "disk identifiers" (clones), which will
>force one device in Disk Management to have an "Offline" status.
>
>You claim to have reformatted it, which implies a *lot*
>of things worked.
>
>FAT32 is not a drop-dead issue. It should still work
>with FAT32, even in Windows 11.

I reformatted it to NTFS using diskmgmt.msc.

>However, you also need to find the yellow exclamation,
>get the "Code 10" or whatever, and tell us exactly which
>device has the "Code 10". There are a number of different
>code values possible. It really should be pretty hard to have
>a Code like that, and reformat a USB flash drive.

When I open Devices & Printers-Hardware, there is a device called
"Ultra" listed with the yellow exclamation. It's "Properties" show 3
items: First, Windows 10 Boot (which is what the drive was before
formatting),Portable Devices, on UMB Enumerator, that shows the
exclamation. This is the drive with the code 10 status. Second, is
SanDisk Ultra USB Device, Location 0, which is shown as working
properly. 3rd. is USB Mass Storage Device, Universal Serial Bus
Controller, Location 0 (Port_#0012.Hub_#0001), also working correctly.

The info for the second device is confusing to me because the only
SanDisk device plugged in is the USB stick described in "First" as
code 10. One says code 10 one says working correctly! The results are
the same though; the drive is unusable.

>The driver on my USB3 stick is "USBSTOR.SYS". From MSFT.

The driver for the USB stick is from Microsoft, with no hardware id
and a compatible id of wpdusenum\fs under properties.

>The driver on my USB3 Asmedia hub is "asmthub3.sys"
>and would be an Asmedia driver installed from a CD.
>XHCI in Windows 7, is provided by third-party drivers
>like that example.
>
>The driver on my USB3 eXTensible Host controller
>is asmbxhci.sys and asmbxhcicoinstaller.dll .
>
> Host ------------ Hub -----------------X--------- Flash
> Controller (inside chip) <connector> Stick
>
>The Intel portion of the Win7 machine does not have USB3,
>so I can't give driver names for it. USB3 was provided
>by an Asmedia chip.
>
>You can also use Uwe Siebers USBTreeView, for listing these
>things, but the wealth of info in there might not immediately
>be helpful, when you've already got a yellow exclamation to work on.
>You want the yellow mark gone first, before moving on to the
>next steps in debug. A yellow mark is not good... unless it is
>for some hardware you are not using and don't care about.
>
> Paul

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk3rbn$1g1f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5215&group=alt.windows7.general#5215

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 13:06:14 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 20:06 UTC

On 11/4/2022 12:03 PM, jetjock wrote:
> [...]
>> and would be an Asmedia driver installed from a CD.
>> XHCI in Windows 7, is provided by third-party drivers
>> like that example.
>>
>> The driver on my USB3 eXTensible Host controller
>> is asmbxhci.sys and asmbxhcicoinstaller.dll .
>>
>> Host ------------ Hub -----------------X--------- Flash
>> Controller (inside chip) <connector> Stick
>>
>> The Intel portion of the Win7 machine does not have USB3,
>> so I can't give driver names for it. USB3 was provided
>> by an Asmedia chip.
>>
>> You can also use Uwe Siebers USBTreeView, for listing these
>> things, but the wealth of info in there might not immediately
>> be helpful, when you've already got a yellow exclamation to work on.
>> You want the yellow mark gone first, before moving on to the
>> next steps in debug. A yellow mark is not good... unless it is
>> for some hardware you are not using and don't care about.

Is the problem with a device plugged into a USB port? If so, look
carefully into the end of the device's USB plug. If there is a white
bar, it is USB-2. If there is a blue bar, it is USB-3. (My PC is 9
years old, so I have no USB ports later than USB-3.) Your problem might
be from USB incompatibility.

While a USB-2 device should work plugged into a USB-3 port, that is not
always true. (My HP LaserJet Pro 200 has a USB-2 plug. It kept
crashing Windows when plugged into a USB-3 port.) A USB-3 device will
generally NOT work plugged into a USB-2 port. Make sure your device is
plugged into a USB port that is the same type as the device's USB plug.
(My PC has mostly USB-3 ports and fewer USB-2 ports than the number my
USB-2 devices. Thus, I had to buy a USB-2 hub to accommodate my USB-2
devices.)

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk4qiv$29so7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5219&group=alt.windows7.general#5219

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 00:59:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 04:59 UTC

On 11/4/2022 3:03 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:22:46 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>> In Disk Management, is a letter assigned to it ?
>
> Yes. I assigned "x" to it.
>>
>> FAT32 is not a drop-dead issue. It should still work
>> with FAT32, even in Windows 11.
>
> I reformatted it to NTFS using diskmgmt.msc.
>
> When I open Devices & Printers-Hardware, there is a device called
> "Ultra" listed with the yellow exclamation. It's "Properties" show 3
> items: First, Windows 10 Boot (which is what the drive was before
> formatting),Portable Devices, on UMB Enumerator, that shows the
> exclamation. This is the drive with the code 10 status. Second, is
> SanDisk Ultra USB Device, Location 0, which is shown as working
> properly. 3rd. is USB Mass Storage Device, Universal Serial Bus
> Controller, Location 0 (Port_#0012.Hub_#0001), also working correctly.
>
> The info for the second device is confusing to me because the only
> SanDisk device plugged in is the USB stick described in "First" as
> code 10. One says code 10 one says working correctly! The results are
> the same though; the drive is unusable.
>
>> The driver on my USB3 stick is "USBSTOR.SYS". From MSFT.
>
> The driver for the USB stick is from Microsoft, with no hardware id
> and a compatible id of wpdusenum\fs under properties.

The PostIMG server is acting up a bit, so this might not come through.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/fTHs8WDN/Kingston-G3-16-GB-on-Win7.gif

My USB stick in that example, is using WPDfs.inf in the INF folder,
which is Windows Portable Device driver. I have no Code 10 though.

I looked in C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log for an example
of a WPDfs, and my lowly old Kingston G3 16GB USB stick is
classified that way. And it only had the one partition on
it, FAT32. I was last using that stick, on my new motherboard
to flash the motherboard up so it would recognize a Zen3 on AM4
socket. The motherboard has one of those pushbutton flashers,
only it did seem to be using the main processor.

Nothing really out of the ordinary there with the G3.
Did not involve GPT or anything, just legacy MSDOS partitioning.

Paul

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<dt0dmhpuqj5t725n0k7dkk0b9b31v4mjna@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5221&group=alt.windows7.general#5221

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 10:44:16 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 15:44 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 13:06:14 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Paul

>Is the problem with a device plugged into a USB port? If so, look
>carefully into the end of the device's USB plug. If there is a white
>bar, it is USB-2. If there is a blue bar, it is USB-3. (My PC is 9
>years old, so I have no USB ports later than USB-3.) Your problem might
>be from USB incompatibility.
>
>While a USB-2 device should work plugged into a USB-3 port, that is not
>always true. (My HP LaserJet Pro 200 has a USB-2 plug. It kept
>crashing Windows when plugged into a USB-3 port.) A USB-3 device will
>generally NOT work plugged into a USB-2 port. Make sure your device is
>plugged into a USB port that is the same type as the device's USB plug.
>(My PC has mostly USB-3 ports and fewer USB-2 ports than the number my
>USB-2 devices. Thus, I had to buy a USB-2 hub to accommodate my USB-2

Thanks David, but that is not the problem. It is not usable in either
USB 2 or 3 ports. I appreciate the effort though! :-)

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tf2dmhdos8904cv2vgfmead0eqtqskvbj0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5222&group=alt.windows7.general#5222

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 11:16:10 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 16:16 UTC

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 00:59:10 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/4/2022 3:03 PM, jetjock wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:22:46 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> In Disk Management, is a letter assigned to it ?
>>
>> Yes. I assigned "x" to it.
>>>
>>> FAT32 is not a drop-dead issue. It should still work
>>> with FAT32, even in Windows 11.
>>
>> I reformatted it to NTFS using diskmgmt.msc.
>>
>> When I open Devices & Printers-Hardware, there is a device called
>> "Ultra" listed with the yellow exclamation. It's "Properties" show 3
>> items: First, Windows 10 Boot (which is what the drive was before
>> formatting),Portable Devices, on UMB Enumerator, that shows the
>> exclamation. This is the drive with the code 10 status. Second, is
>> SanDisk Ultra USB Device, Location 0, which is shown as working
>> properly. 3rd. is USB Mass Storage Device, Universal Serial Bus
>> Controller, Location 0 (Port_#0012.Hub_#0001), also working correctly.
>>
>> The info for the second device is confusing to me because the only
>> SanDisk device plugged in is the USB stick described in "First" as
>> code 10. One says code 10 one says working correctly! The results are
>> the same though; the drive is unusable.
>>
>>> The driver on my USB3 stick is "USBSTOR.SYS". From MSFT.
>>
>> The driver for the USB stick is from Microsoft, with no hardware id
>> and a compatible id of wpdusenum\fs under properties.
>
>The PostIMG server is acting up a bit, so this might not come through.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/fTHs8WDN/Kingston-G3-16-GB-on-Win7.gif

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

[Picture}

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cvqpf1

Mine are identical to yours. Only difference is the yellow
exclamation.

I've tried uninstalling, deleting and updating. When I try updating
I'm told the driver is up to date. I just can't get rid of the
exclamation point. Plugged it into various ports, both USB 2 & 3 with
no change. All my other SanDisk and other brand thumbs work fine. I
just may have to give up and chuck this one.

>My USB stick in that example, is using WPDfs.inf in the INF folder,
>which is Windows Portable Device driver. I have no Code 10 though.
>
>I looked in C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log for an example
>of a WPDfs, and my lowly old Kingston G3 16GB USB stick is
>classified that way. And it only had the one partition on
>it, FAT32. I was last using that stick, on my new motherboard
>to flash the motherboard up so it would recognize a Zen3 on AM4
>socket. The motherboard has one of those pushbutton flashers,
>only it did seem to be using the main processor.
>
>Nothing really out of the ordinary there with the G3.
>Did not involve GPT or anything, just legacy MSDOS partitioning.
>
> Paul

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk6564$2ihi2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5223&group=alt.windows7.general#5223

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:06:10 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:06 UTC

On 03/11/2022 18:39, jetjock wrote:

> SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
> drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
> plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
> faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
> yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
> cannot be found in any file manager.
>
> I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
> is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
> and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.
>
> I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
> success. Can anybody help?

If a device that should work in Windows fails to work after
uninstallation and re-installation, then that often means one or other
or both of two things:
A ghost device
An incorrect driver, possibly a 'ghost' driver.

'Ghost' devices are relatively easy to deal with ...

First, you need to uninstall the problem device itself, then enable
showing hidden devices in device manager, but, to do this, you may have
to set an environment setting first:
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

So, on a system unknown to me, ie yours, I would do this as follows ...

1) Open a command prompt with administrator access
2) Enter: SET devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1<Return>
3) Enter: mmc<Return>

4) Load device manager into the empty console thus loaded by choosing
File, Open, navigating to %WinDir%\System32, and double clicking
'devmgmt.msc'.

5) Choose View and select Show hidden devices
6) Choose View and select Devices by connection

Before I continue, NOTE CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING: while all 'ghost'
devices will be hanging off the root, not all devices hanging off the
root are 'ghosts', on the contrary, most will *NOT* be. The 'ghosts'
can be distinguished from the fact that you'd normally expect such a
device to be hanging somewhere off the 'ACPI [something or other] PC'
branch.

Recognised as described above, you will almost certainly find some
'ghost' devices, but note that these will include devices that simply
don't happen to be connected to the PC at the moment, such as phones,
cameras, and scanners. You need to leave ghost devices such as these
alone, unless you don't mind having to reinstall them again.

Look for any 'ghost' devices of the same type as the problem device, in
your case USB storage devices, and uninstall them. Reboot. Then try to
reinstall the problem USB device again.

If the above fails, then you may also have a 'ghost' driver, which can
be rather more involved to deal with ...

First, again uninstall the problem device.

When a device is installed in Windows, its details are usually copied
from its installation *.inf file into a file in the %WinDir%\inf
directory with a name in the form oemN.inf where N is a number, then a
version is made with the same name but a PNF extension, so oemN.PNF.
These oem*.inf files are just text files which can be read in Notepad or
any other text editor. You need to read through them for any relating
to USB storage devices that are:
Old and no longer connected;
Somehow 'abnormal' and so need special drivers.

An example of the latter may be a 3/4G mobile modem stick, which at
first are read as USB storage containing the drivers, but once the
drivers are installed, subsequently the drivers prevent their being read
as storage and instead activate the mobile modem.

If you find any such oem*.inf files which are no longer relevant, delete
both the inf and PNF versions (into the Recycle Bin, not permamently, so
that they can be restored if necessary).

Reboot, and try to install the problem device again.

If that fails, then repeat the above procedure, but this time try also
to find in the same directory the original *.inf file that the oem*.inf
was copied from, and delete that, again into the Recycle Bin, as well.

Then, reboot, and try to install the problem device again. Hopefully it
will work this time.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk6rr0$2nqrg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5225&group=alt.windows7.general#5225

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:32:47 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 23:32 UTC

On 11/5/2022 12:16 PM, jetjock wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 00:59:10 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yes. I assigned "x" to it.

>>> I reformatted it to NTFS using diskmgmt.msc.
>>>
>>> When I open Devices & Printers-Hardware, there is a device called
>>> "Ultra" listed with the yellow exclamation. It's "Properties" show 3
>>> items: First, Windows 10 Boot (which is what the drive was before
>>> formatting),Portable Devices, on UMB Enumerator, that shows the
>>> exclamation. This is the drive with the code 10 status. Second, is
>>> SanDisk Ultra USB Device, Location 0, which is shown as working
>>> properly. 3rd. is USB Mass Storage Device, Universal Serial Bus
>>> Controller, Location 0 (Port_#0012.Hub_#0001), also working correctly.
>>>
>>> The info for the second device is confusing to me because the only
>>> SanDisk device plugged in is the USB stick described in "First" as
>>> code 10. One says code 10 one says working correctly! The results are
>>> the same though; the drive is unusable.

>>> The driver for the USB stick is from Microsoft, with no hardware id
>>> and a compatible id of wpdusenum\fs under properties.
>>
>> The PostIMG server is acting up a bit, so this might not come through.
>>
>> [Picture]
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/fTHs8WDN/Kingston-G3-16-GB-on-Win7.gif
>
> You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!
>
> [Picture}
>
> https://www.sendspace.com/file/cvqpf1
>
> Mine are identical to yours. Only difference is the yellow
> exclamation.
>
> I've tried uninstalling, deleting and updating. When I try updating
> I'm told the driver is up to date. I just can't get rid of the
> exclamation point. Plugged it into various ports, both USB 2 & 3 with
> no change. All my other SanDisk and other brand thumbs work fine. I
> just may have to give up and chuck this one.

Have a look in C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log for inspiration.

*******

The error on this one is an Access Denied. Then you can't tell if it is
a registry access that is denied, or something related to the file system.
The further discussion section doesn't shine any light on a result.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-wpd-filesystem-volume-driver-code-10/ffc24e83-22e2-4e16-b3e5-e6e2e9c1b803

You generally don't want to be mixing mapped network drives and USB
sticks at a time like this. Because the OS will try and mount a
USB stick letter on top of a mapped network drive letter. The
tool for managing that is usbDLM. I can't see that being a Code 10
though, merely something is inaccessible.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Paul

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<lvqfmh1bch45qp2m3bqvu5rno49jsurdla@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5238&group=alt.windows7.general#5238

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:27:06 -0600
 by: jetjock - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:27 UTC

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:32:47 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/5/2022 12:16 PM, jetjock wrote:

>>> The PostIMG server is acting up a bit, so this might not come through.
>>>
>>> [Picture]
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/fTHs8WDN/Kingston-G3-16-GB-on-Win7.gif
>>
>> You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!
>>
>> [Picture}
>>
>> https://www.sendspace.com/file/cvqpf1
>>
>> Mine are identical to yours. Only difference is the yellow
>> exclamation.
>>
>> I've tried uninstalling, deleting and updating. When I try updating
>> I'm told the driver is up to date. I just can't get rid of the
>> exclamation point. Plugged it into various ports, both USB 2 & 3 with
>> no change. All my other SanDisk and other brand thumbs work fine. I
>> just may have to give up and chuck this one.
>
>Have a look in C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log for inspiration.
>
>*******
>
>The error on this one is an Access Denied. Then you can't tell if it is
>a registry access that is denied, or something related to the file system.
>The further discussion section doesn't shine any light on a result.

I checked out the log but there was no "Access Denied" in it. What I
did find is several "Failed" notices. Here is a portion of the log
entry that may mean more to you than it did to me:

Name=wpdfs.inf:Microsoft.NTamd64:Basic_Install:6.1.7600.16385:wpdbusenum\fs
dvi: {Writing Device Properties - Complete}
inf: {Install Inf Section
[Basic_Install.Services]}
inf: AddService=WUDFRd,0x000001fa,WUDFRD_ServiceInstall
(wpdfs.inf line 44)
inf: ServiceType=1 (wpdfs.inf line 76)
inf: StartType=3 (wpdfs.inf line 77)
inf: ErrorControl=1 (wpdfs.inf line 78)
inf: ServiceBinary=C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WUDFRd.sys
(wpdfs.inf line 79)
dvi: Add Service: Modified existing
service 'WUDFRd'.
inf: {Install Inf Section
[Basic_Install.Services] exit(0x00000000)}
dvi: Updated reflected section names for:
wpdfs.inf
dvi: {Install DEVICE exit (0x00000000)}
dvi: Writing common driver property settings.
dvi: DriverDescription=WPD FileSystem Volume
Driver
dvi: DeviceDisplayName=WPD FileSystem Volume
Driver
dvi: Install Device: Restarting device.
11:12:01.989
dvi: Install Device: Restarting device completed.
11:12:02.098
!!! dvi: Device not started: Device has problem: 0x0a:
CM_PROB_FAILED_START.
dvi: Class installer: Exit
dvi: CoInstaller 1: Enter (Post Processing)
11:12:02.098
dvi: CoInstaller 1: Exit (Post Processing)
dvi: {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x00000000)} 11:12:02.113
dvi: {DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL} 11:12:02.113
dvi: CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:12:02.113
dvi: CoInstaller 1: Exit
dvi: Class installer: Enter 11:12:02.113
dvi: Class installer: Exit
dvi: {DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL - exit(0x00000000)}
11:12:02.113
ndv: Device install status=0x00000000
ndv: Performing device install final cleanup...
! ndv: Queueing up error report since device has a PnP
problem...
ndv: {Core Device Install - exit(0x00000000)} 11:12:02.113
dvi: {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA} 11:12:02.129
dvi: CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:12:02.129
dvi: CoInstaller 1: Exit
dvi: Class installer: Enter 11:12:02.129
dvi: Class installer: Exit
dvi: Default installer: Enter 11:12:02.129
dvi: Default installer: Exit
dvi: {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA - exit(0xe000020e)} 11:12:02.129
ump: Server install process exited with code 0x00000000
11:12:02.129
<<< Section end 2022/11/04 11:12:02.129
<<< [Exit status: SUCCESS]

About half way down there are "!!!" that show the device failed to
start, and then below that a single "!" that says the device has a PnP
problem. Doesn't mean anything to me, but may be helpful to you or
Java Jive.

>https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-wpd-filesystem-volume-driver-code-10/ffc24e83-22e2-4e16-b3e5-e6e2e9c1b803
>
>You generally don't want to be mixing mapped network drives and USB
>sticks at a time like this. Because the OS will try and mount a
>USB stick letter on top of a mapped network drive letter. The
>tool for managing that is usbDLM. I can't see that being a Code 10
>though, merely something is inaccessible.
>
>https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<a0sfmh1g708b7lj6eb61ud5lq4gcs5bqpd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5241&group=alt.windows7.general#5241

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:46:28 -0600
 by: jetjock - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:46 UTC

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:06:10 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 03/11/2022 18:39, jetjock wrote:
>>
>> SanDisk 32GB drive is formatted and visible in Disk Management as
>> drive X with a 28.97GB, FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition). When I
>> plug it in, Windows pops up the window advising that the disk will run
>> faster in a USB 3 slot, so the computer is seeing it. Also, there is a
>> yellow exclamation point for it in Device Manager. However, the disk
>> cannot be found in any file manager.
>>
>> I tried to update the driver in Device Manager, but it says the driver
>> is up to date. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and disabling
>> and enabling; neither worked. Still has yellow exclamation.
>>
>> I tried all the tricks listed by searching the problem with no
>> success. Can anybody help?
>
>If a device that should work in Windows fails to work after
>uninstallation and re-installation, then that often means one or other
>or both of two things:
> A ghost device
> An incorrect driver, possibly a 'ghost' driver.
>
>'Ghost' devices are relatively easy to deal with ...
>
>First, you need to uninstall the problem device itself, then enable
>showing hidden devices in device manager, but, to do this, you may have
>to set an environment setting first:
> devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
>
>So, on a system unknown to me, ie yours, I would do this as follows ...
>
>1) Open a command prompt with administrator access
>2) Enter: SET devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1<Return>
>3) Enter: mmc<Return>
>
>4) Load device manager into the empty console thus loaded by choosing
>File, Open, navigating to %WinDir%\System32, and double clicking
>'devmgmt.msc'.
>
>5) Choose View and select Show hidden devices
>6) Choose View and select Devices by connection
>
>Before I continue, NOTE CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING: while all 'ghost'
>devices will be hanging off the root, not all devices hanging off the
>root are 'ghosts', on the contrary, most will *NOT* be. The 'ghosts'
>can be distinguished from the fact that you'd normally expect such a
>device to be hanging somewhere off the 'ACPI [something or other] PC'
>branch.
>
>Recognised as described above, you will almost certainly find some
>'ghost' devices, but note that these will include devices that simply
>don't happen to be connected to the PC at the moment, such as phones,
>cameras, and scanners. You need to leave ghost devices such as these
>alone, unless you don't mind having to reinstall them again.
>
>Look for any 'ghost' devices of the same type as the problem device, in
>your case USB storage devices, and uninstall them. Reboot. Then try to
>reinstall the problem USB device again.

The above did not solve the problem.

>If the above fails, then you may also have a 'ghost' driver, which can
>be rather more involved to deal with ...
>
>First, again uninstall the problem device.
>
>When a device is installed in Windows, its details are usually copied
>from its installation *.inf file into a file in the %WinDir%\inf
>directory with a name in the form oemN.inf where N is a number, then a
>version is made with the same name but a PNF extension, so oemN.PNF.
>These oem*.inf files are just text files which can be read in Notepad or
>any other text editor. You need to read through them for any relating
>to USB storage devices that are:
> Old and no longer connected;
> Somehow 'abnormal' and so need special drivers.
>
>An example of the latter may be a 3/4G mobile modem stick, which at
>first are read as USB storage containing the drivers, but once the
>drivers are installed, subsequently the drivers prevent their being read
>as storage and instead activate the mobile modem.
>
>If you find any such oem*.inf files which are no longer relevant, delete
>both the inf and PNF versions (into the Recycle Bin, not permamently, so
>that they can be restored if necessary).
>
>Reboot, and try to install the problem device again.
>
>If that fails, then repeat the above procedure, but this time try also
>to find in the same directory the original *.inf file that the oem*.inf
>was copied from, and delete that, again into the Recycle Bin, as well.
>
>Then, reboot, and try to install the problem device again. Hopefully it
>will work this time.

I did a search for oem.inf files in the Windows INF folder. There were
96, none of which had "SanDisk" in them. There were a total of 2300+
..inf files in total in that folder. I neither have the time nor the
inclination to inspect that many files for "SanDisk". Even if I found
one, I wouldn't know a good one from an abnormal one.

I really appreciate your help here, but it is becoming apparent that
this is way too complicated for someone like me to fix. I have a new
Kingston, 64GB drive coming for $6! I'm 81 and the drive will only be
used as an emergency boot drive, so I don't care if it might not last
as long as a more expensive drive. Hopefully, it will never be used! I
just hate to admit defeat, but sometimes the computer wins! :-)

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager-new info!

<pc0gmhh4tmq6e0fkalobeqk25bsksa7t1s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5242&group=alt.windows7.general#5242

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: USB Drive not found in file manager-new info!
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 12:55:16 -0600
 by: jetjock - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:55 UTC

On Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:46:28 -0600, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>Then, reboot, and try to install the problem device again. Hopefully it
>>will work this time.
>
>I did a search for oem.inf files in the Windows INF folder. There were
>96, none of which had "SanDisk" in them. There were a total of 2300+
>.inf files in total in that folder. I neither have the time nor the
>inclination to inspect that many files for "SanDisk". Even if I found
>one, I wouldn't know a good one from an abnormal one.
>
>I really appreciate your help here, but it is becoming apparent that
>this is way too complicated for someone like me to fix. I have a new
>Kingston, 64GB drive coming for $6! I'm 81 and the drive will only be
>used as an emergency boot drive, so I don't care if it might not last
>as long as a more expensive drive. Hopefully, it will never be used! I
>just hate to admit defeat, but sometimes the computer wins! :-)

Just for the hell-of-it I tried plugging that drive into my wife's
computer. Same OS, Win 7 Ultimate, and the file manager found it
immediately. Even allowed me to change drive letter in disk manager.
Apparently the drive is fine; it's my computer that is the problem!
Any ideas on what could cause this?

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk9r9m$3gbmn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5247&group=alt.windows7.general#5247

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 21:41:58 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 02:41 UTC

On 11/6/2022 12:27 PM, jetjock wrote:

> I checked out the log but there was no "Access Denied" in it. What I
> did find is several "Failed" notices. Here is a portion of the log
> entry that may mean more to you than it did to me:
>
> Name=wpdfs.inf:Microsoft.NTamd64:Basic_Install:6.1.7600.16385:wpdbusenum\fs
> dvi: {Writing Device Properties - Complete}
> inf: {Install Inf Section
> [Basic_Install.Services]}
> inf: AddService=WUDFRd,0x000001fa,WUDFRD_ServiceInstall
> (wpdfs.inf line 44)
> inf: ServiceType=1 (wpdfs.inf line 76)
> inf: StartType=3 (wpdfs.inf line 77)
> inf: ErrorControl=1 (wpdfs.inf line 78)
> inf: ServiceBinary=C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WUDFRd.sys
> (wpdfs.inf line 79)
> dvi: Add Service: Modified existing
> service 'WUDFRd'.
> inf: {Install Inf Section
> [Basic_Install.Services] exit(0x00000000)}
> dvi: Updated reflected section names for:
> wpdfs.inf
> dvi: {Install DEVICE exit (0x00000000)}
> dvi: Writing common driver property settings.
> dvi: DriverDescription=WPD FileSystem Volume
> Driver
> dvi: DeviceDisplayName=WPD FileSystem Volume
> Driver
> dvi: Install Device: Restarting device.
> 11:12:01.989
> dvi: Install Device: Restarting device completed.
> 11:12:02.098
> !!! dvi: Device not started: Device has problem: 0x0a:
> CM_PROB_FAILED_START.
> dvi: Class installer: Exit
> dvi: CoInstaller 1: Enter (Post Processing)
> 11:12:02.098
> dvi: CoInstaller 1: Exit (Post Processing)
> dvi: {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x00000000)} 11:12:02.113
> dvi: {DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL} 11:12:02.113
> dvi: CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:12:02.113
> dvi: CoInstaller 1: Exit
> dvi: Class installer: Enter 11:12:02.113
> dvi: Class installer: Exit
> dvi: {DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL - exit(0x00000000)}
> 11:12:02.113
> ndv: Device install status=0x00000000
> ndv: Performing device install final cleanup...
> ! ndv: Queueing up error report since device has a PnP
> problem...
> ndv: {Core Device Install - exit(0x00000000)} 11:12:02.113
> dvi: {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA} 11:12:02.129
> dvi: CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:12:02.129
> dvi: CoInstaller 1: Exit
> dvi: Class installer: Enter 11:12:02.129
> dvi: Class installer: Exit
> dvi: Default installer: Enter 11:12:02.129
> dvi: Default installer: Exit
> dvi: {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA - exit(0xe000020e)} 11:12:02.129
> ump: Server install process exited with code 0x00000000
> 11:12:02.129
> <<< Section end 2022/11/04 11:12:02.129
> <<< [Exit status: SUCCESS]
>
> About half way down there are "!!!" that show the device failed to
> start, and then below that a single "!" that says the device has a PnP
> problem. Doesn't mean anything to me, but may be helpful to you or
> Java Jive.

The head-on attack here didn't work particularly.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d88813a7-7d96-4418-a402-ec8b5f592c5a/microsoft-wpd-filesystem-volume-driver-are-certain-usb-devices-no-longer-compatible-with-windows?forum=win10itprogeneral

One of the participants there, seems to think this is an
UpperFilter/LowerFilter driver issue.

*******

The risk with the following article, is a dollop of snake oil.

However, near the bottom, it mentions a Uwe Sieber utility.
He visits USENET occasionally. The utility apparently can remove
a lot of stuff from Device Manager memory that "only exist as
registry entries".

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-wpd-filesystem-volume-driver-problems/

Here’s how to use the tool:

Download Device Cleanup Tool and unzip it to a folder on your desktop.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/devicecleanup.zip

For chuckles, I have a cloned Win7 sitting in the Test Machine,
and I let that thing loose on the running C: . I set a restore point
first.

I followed the instructions, to unplug my Kingston G3 16GB stick
(the WPDFS test item). Then did a "run as administrator" on the
EXE in the ZIP (the x64 version in my case).

It listed around 900 items. I did a "select all", then "remove selected items".
Mainly because no WPD items were present, so I decided instead
to "test for damage".

It took maybe a couple minutes to remove all of them, many of them
being "phantom volumes" of one sort or another. The machine has seen
a lot of hard drives in its time. In standard running state, it is
very close to being out of drive letters.

When I plugged in my Kingston G3 after this, I got two "new hardware" tones,
which might be a bit more than normal.

But no problem was solved, because I didn't have a problem... and the
thing was still using WPDFS. Whether it would re-run the WPDFS.inf in
the INF folder, who knows.

The Auslogics claims the WPDFS is used when the OS does not recognize
the device. I find this a wee bit far fetched, because USB is designed
to standards, there is a Class Code in the config space, and nice standard
registers in the hardware in the places you would expect. This is supposed
to allow our friend "USBSTOR.sys" to do its thing.

So exactly how or why that WPDFS driver is involved, I still haven't figured
that out. The driver *does* have a purpose, for things like your MP3 player
perhaps. But it should not be binding to USB Flash sticks as far as I'm concerned.

And the notion you can "Update Driver" and stick-handle around that stuff,
forget it. That's not going to work. Just for fun, I did a Google on the
Kingston G3 and the Kingston site told me the obvious, that no special drivers
were required and Plug and Play would detect the device class and the
nice set of Microsoft Class Drivers would be next in line.

*******

The OS is doing this for some reason... but, what is the reason ??? Stumped.

Paul

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tk9rok$3geue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5248&group=alt.windows7.general#5248

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 21:49:56 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 02:49 UTC

On 11/6/2022 12:46 PM, jetjock wrote:

> I did a search for oem.inf files in the Windows INF folder. There were
> 96, none of which had "SanDisk" in them. There were a total of 2300+
> .inf files in total in that folder. I neither have the time nor the
> inclination to inspect that many files for "SanDisk". Even if I found
> one, I wouldn't know a good one from an abnormal one.

But this is easy-peasy :-)

Agent Ransack allows searching for all files ending in .inf

File name: (Regular expression mode) inf$ # anything ending in INF

Containing Text: SanDisk # search on the "realname" stored inside the INF

Search area: Select custom single folder, set to C:\Windows\INF

The tool is here. It'll tell you which files
meet the criterion, in maybe five seconds in this
case. This is how I solve the problem of looking inside oemXX.inf
files.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

When doing text searches, it will start as many threads
of execution, as you have CPU cores. It's not a slouch :-)

Paul

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tka5lh$1op2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5249&group=alt.windows7.general#5249

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 21:38:55 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 05:38 UTC

On 11/6/2022 6:49 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 11/6/2022 12:46 PM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> I did a search for oem.inf files in the Windows INF folder. There were
>> 96, none of which had "SanDisk" in them. There were a total of 2300+
>> .inf files in total in that folder. I neither have the time nor the
>> inclination to inspect that many files for "SanDisk". Even if I found
>> one, I wouldn't know a good one from an abnormal one.
>
> But this is easy-peasy :-)
>
> Agent Ransack allows searching for all files ending in .inf
>
> File name: (Regular expression mode) inf$ # anything ending in INF
>
> Containing Text: SanDisk # search on the "realname" stored inside the INF
>
> Search area: Select custom single folder, set to C:\Windows\INF
>
> The tool is here. It'll tell you which files
> meet the criterion, in maybe five seconds in this
> case. This is how I solve the problem of looking inside oemXX.inf
> files.
>
> https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>
> When doing text searches, it will start as many threads
> of execution, as you have CPU cores. It's not a slouch :-)
>
> Paul

Agent Ransack is great for searching for a given string within files.
For searching files by their names or fragments of names, however, it is
slow. For that latter search, I use the Everything search engine from
<http://www.voidtools.com/>. Since Everything does not have the
capability to search for a string within a file, I also have Agent
Ransack. Thus, I have two different search tools for two different
types of searches.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<i5ahmhpmd6blm43ti3nuo6k8pe29g2id62@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5250&group=alt.windows7.general#5250

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 00:43:47 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 06:43 UTC

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 21:38:55 -0800, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/6/2022 6:49 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 11/6/2022 12:46 PM, jetjock wrote:
>>
>>> I did a search for oem.inf files in the Windows INF folder. There were
>>> 96, none of which had "SanDisk" in them. There were a total of 2300+
>>> .inf files in total in that folder. I neither have the time nor the
>>> inclination to inspect that many files for "SanDisk". Even if I found
>>> one, I wouldn't know a good one from an abnormal one.
>>
>> But this is easy-peasy :-)
>>
>> Agent Ransack allows searching for all files ending in .inf
>>
>> File name: (Regular expression mode) inf$ # anything ending in INF
>>
>> Containing Text: SanDisk # search on the "realname" stored inside the INF
>>
>> Search area: Select custom single folder, set to C:\Windows\INF
>>
>> The tool is here. It'll tell you which files
>> meet the criterion, in maybe five seconds in this
>> case. This is how I solve the problem of looking inside oemXX.inf
>> files.
>>
>> https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>>
>> When doing text searches, it will start as many threads
>> of execution, as you have CPU cores. It's not a slouch :-)
>>
>> Paul
>>

>Agent Ransack is great for searching for a given string within files.
>For searching files by their names or fragments of names, however, it is
>slow. For that latter search, I use the Everything search engine from
><http://www.voidtools.com/>. Since Everything does not have the
>capability to search for a string within a file, I also have Agent
>Ransack. Thus, I have two different search tools for two different
>types of searches.

***
https://www.voidtools.com/faq/#does_everything_search_file_contents

Does Everything search file contents?

Yes, "Everything" can search file content with the content: search
function. File content is not indexed, searching content is slow.
***

Not saying it's going to replace Agent Ransack, but it can probably work
in a pinch.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager-new info!

<tkb4f6$3joi9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5251&group=alt.windows7.general#5251

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 14:24:37 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 14:24 UTC

On 06/11/2022 18:55, jetjock wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2022 11:46:28 -0600, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:06:10 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If a device that should work in Windows fails to work after
>>> uninstallation and re-installation, then that often means one or other
>>> or both of two things:
>>> A ghost device
>>> An incorrect driver, possibly a 'ghost' driver.
>>>
>>> [Big snip: refer to my original post if necessary]

Before referring back to your following of my previous instructions
snipped above, let me begin by making some other points beforehand, as
it may save your time for me to cover things in this order ...

First, briefly skimming back through the initial first replies, I didn't
spot anyone - including, I'm sorry, myself - suggesting that you
should do the obvious thing and look at the Event Viewer, which is the
first thing that should have been done for an issue like this!

A 1 <Rt-Click> 'My Computer'
2 Choose 'Manage'
3 In the console, choose, ie expand:
Computer Management (local)
System Tools
Event Viewer
Windows Logs
4 Click on 'System'

There should be some warning or error messages relating to an issue like
this. Warnings are an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle. Errors
are an exclamation mark in a red circle. Can you see any errors or
warnings related to the problem? If there are any of either seeming
relevant, <double-click> them, click the Details tab, choose XML View,
and copy and paste the entire message into a reply here.

Secondly, I've been looking again at the properties pages you provided
for us. I have a working EasyDisk USB storage stick in this W7 PC at
the moment ...

B 1 In Device Manager, I <rt-click> it and choose Properties

2 I select the Driver tab. I have ...
Microsoft
21/06/2006
6.1.7601.19133
Microsoft Windows
... and clicking Driver Details gives me ...
disk.sys
partmgr.sys
... both in %WinDir%\System32\Drivers.

What do you have?

Next I refer back to one of your messages in reply to Paul, wherein you
included an extract from SetUpAPI.log:

ServiceBinary=C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WUDFRd.sys

WTF? This is not a UDF (CD,DVD) device! This suggests to me that
perhaps we have to find out why your Windows thinks you are inserting a
CD or DVD?

It might be worthwhile examining what has been installed under Control
Panel, Programs and Features. Any drivers or software for CD/DVD drives
there, particularly USB ones? If so, and that device is no longer in
use, try uninstalling its software, rebooting, and trying to install the
SanDisk again.

Now I will return to my previous post and the procedure that you were
attempting to follow, but note that my post preceded some of the above,
and consequently may by now be redundant, which is why in this reply I
covered things in the order that I did ...

>> I did a search for oem.inf files in the Windows INF folder. There were
>> 96, none of which had "SanDisk" in them. There were a total of 2300+
>> .inf files in total in that folder. I neither have the time nor the
>> inclination to inspect that many files for "SanDisk". Even if I found
>> one, I wouldn't know a good one from an abnormal one.

I agree that the Search GUI for Windows 7+ - I suspect actually Vista+
but not having used that version of Windows I can't speak with authority
about it - is nothing like as good as the 2k/XP versions, which
enabled you to search within files as an option at the beginning of your
search. However, you can still do so ...

C 1 Locate the navigator tree on the LHS of an Explorer window on the
'inf' folder

2 Press <F3>

3 Enter any search term, eg 'storage'

4 Once the search is complete, underneath the results on the RHS you
get an icon labelled 'File Contents', click it.

Besides 'SanDisk', I would try broader terms, such as 'storage', and,
given the above, anything to do with UDF, CD, or DVD.

>> I really appreciate your help here, but it is becoming apparent that
>> this is way too complicated for someone like me to fix. I have a new
>> Kingston, 64GB drive coming for $6! I'm 81 and the drive will only be
>> used as an emergency boot drive, so I don't care if it might not last
>> as long as a more expensive drive. Hopefully, it will never be used! I
>> just hate to admit defeat, but sometimes the computer wins! :-)

At what stage you give up is always up to you!

> Just for the hell-of-it I tried plugging that drive into my wife's
> computer. Same OS, Win 7 Ultimate, and the file manager found it
> immediately. Even allowed me to change drive letter in disk manager.
> Apparently the drive is fine; it's my computer that is the problem!
> Any ideas on what could cause this?

On both PCs:

D 1 Run 'Task Manager', which is an option when you do <Ctrl-Alt-Del>
2 Click the Processes tab
3 Enable the option at the bottom 'Show processes from all users'
4 Click on the column heading 'Image name' to get alpha ordering.

Compare the processes running on the two PCs, and tell us here of any
*differences*, being careful to clarify which extra or missing processes
relate to which PC.

If none of the above or any other suggestions find the cause of the
problem, then probably there will only remain the 'sledgehammer to crack
a nut' approach, compare the two PCs on a file by file basis, but we'll
only cross that bridge if and when we ever come to it.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager-new info!

<tkb5vr$3jt0j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5252&group=alt.windows7.general#5252

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 14:50:34 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 14:50 UTC

Ignore this ...

On 07/11/2022 14:24, Java Jive wrote:

> Next I refer back to one of your messages in reply to Paul, wherein you
> included an extract from SetUpAPI.log:
>
>    ServiceBinary=C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WUDFRd.sys
>
> WTF?  This is not a UDF (CD,DVD) device!  This suggests to me that
> perhaps we have to find out why your Windows thinks you are inserting a
> CD or DVD?
>
> It might be worthwhile examining what has been installed under Control
> Panel, Programs and Features.  Any drivers or software for CD/DVD drives
> there, particularly USB ones?  If so, and that device is no longer in
> use, try uninstalling its software, rebooting, and trying to install the
> SanDisk again.

.... I should have checked before posting, but to someone who is also a
user of other OSs, the initials UDF have long referred to Universal Data
Format, but here it seems to refer to User Mode Driver Framework. So
where's the M? Thank you Microsoft, for that unnecessary confusion!

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<7h8imhdbra03vcf3ldu0bhsrgm23ul1k14@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5253&group=alt.windows7.general#5253

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 08:21:50 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 15:21 UTC

On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 00:43:47 -0600, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 21:38:55 -0800, "David E. Ross"
><nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>>> But this is easy-peasy :-)
>>>
>>> Agent Ransack allows searching for all files ending in .inf
>>>
>>> File name: (Regular expression mode) inf$ # anything ending in INF
>>>
>>> Containing Text: SanDisk # search on the "realname" stored inside the INF
>>>
>>> Search area: Select custom single folder, set to C:\Windows\INF
>>>
>>> The tool is here. It'll tell you which files
>>> meet the criterion, in maybe five seconds in this
>>> case. This is how I solve the problem of looking inside oemXX.inf
>>> files.
>>>
>>> https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>>>
>>> When doing text searches, it will start as many threads
>>> of execution, as you have CPU cores. It's not a slouch :-)
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>>Agent Ransack is great for searching for a given string within files.
>>For searching files by their names or fragments of names, however, it is
>>slow. For that latter search, I use the Everything search engine from
>><http://www.voidtools.com/>. Since Everything does not have the
>>capability to search for a string within a file, I also have Agent
>>Ransack. Thus, I have two different search tools for two different
>>types of searches.
>
>***
>https://www.voidtools.com/faq/#does_everything_search_file_contents
>
>Does Everything search file contents?
>
>Yes, "Everything" can search file content with the content: search
>function. File content is not indexed, searching content is slow.
>***
>
>Not saying it's going to replace Agent Ransack, but it can probably work
>in a pinch.

Yes, I agree--it can. I use both--Everything for searches on file
names, Agent Ransack for searches on file content.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tkbd9q$1ufk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5254&group=alt.windows7.general#5254

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 08:55:21 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 16:55 UTC

On 11/6/2022 10:43 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 21:38:55 -0800, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>>> But this is easy-peasy :-)
>>>
>>> Agent Ransack allows searching for all files ending in .inf
>>>
>>> File name: (Regular expression mode) inf$ # anything ending in INF
>>>
>>> Containing Text: SanDisk # search on the "realname" stored inside the INF
>>>
>>> Search area: Select custom single folder, set to C:\Windows\INF
>>>
>>> The tool is here. It'll tell you which files
>>> meet the criterion, in maybe five seconds in this
>>> case. This is how I solve the problem of looking inside oemXX.inf
>>> files.
>>>
>>> https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>>>
>>> When doing text searches, it will start as many threads
>>> of execution, as you have CPU cores. It's not a slouch :-)
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Agent Ransack is great for searching for a given string within files.
>> For searching files by their names or fragments of names, however, it is
>> slow. For that latter search, I use the Everything search engine from
>> <http://www.voidtools.com/>. Since Everything does not have the
>> capability to search for a string within a file, I also have Agent
>> Ransack. Thus, I have two different search tools for two different
>> types of searches.
>
> ***
> https://www.voidtools.com/faq/#does_everything_search_file_contents
>
> Does Everything search file contents?
>
> Yes, "Everything" can search file content with the content: search
> function. File content is not indexed, searching content is slow.
> ***
>
> Not saying it's going to replace Agent Ransack, but it can probably work
> in a pinch.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
Everything 1.4.1.1022

I cannot find "content" as an option. How do I do that?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: USB Drive not found in file manager

<tufimh54fo63vl7mtus68u6mr16nbkca17@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5255&group=alt.windows7.general#5255

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 11:33:52 -0600
 by: jetjock - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 17:33 UTC

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 21:49:56 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/6/2022 12:46 PM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> I did a search for oem.inf files in the Windows INF folder. There were
>> 96, none of which had "SanDisk" in them. There were a total of 2300+
>> .inf files in total in that folder. I neither have the time nor the
>> inclination to inspect that many files for "SanDisk". Even if I found
>> one, I wouldn't know a good one from an abnormal one.
>
>But this is easy-peasy :-)
>
>Agent Ransack allows searching for all files ending in .inf
>
> File name: (Regular expression mode) inf$ # anything ending in INF
>
> Containing Text: SanDisk # search on the "realname" stored inside the INF
>
> Search area: Select custom single folder, set to C:\Windows\INF
>
>The tool is here. It'll tell you which files
>meet the criterion, in maybe five seconds in this
>case. This is how I solve the problem of looking inside oemXX.inf
>files.
>
> https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>
>When doing text searches, it will start as many threads
>of execution, as you have CPU cores. It's not a slouch :-)

My File Manager does search inside folders just like that. I searched
the Windows\INF folder for WPDFS and WUDFUSBCCIDDRIVER, renamed both
the .inf and .pnf files and rebooted. Didn't help a thing.