Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 00:21:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Apple II on PAL?
From: william....@gmail.com (William Ogilvie)
 by: William Ogilvie - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 08:21 UTC

On Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 11:55:12 PM UTC-7, Ewen wrote:
> adric22 <adr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > So this card provided color on a PAL system, was it compatible with
> > existing software on the Apple II that used color? Also, did it have
> > the same color-bleeding issues that the NTSC versions had?
> The non-American Apple II was not PAL in itself. It just came with a 240
> volt supply, and had the timing slightly adjusted to suit. It still
> output NTSC natively, and needed some form of modulator, such as the PAL
> card, to give colour output to PAL monitors. In my experience, it did
> not work too well.
> The non-American //c had a different power brick, and came with an
> optional plug in PAL modulator.
> It was only with the PAL //e, that we got a true PAL Apple II, as the
> motherboard we had was entirely different, with the AUX memory slot in a
> different place.
> The IIgs reverted to an NTSC only computer, but as it had RGB output
> that we could feed into a SCART control or a monitor, this did not
> matter.
> Cheers - Ewen

Apple did make an Apple II for the European market that generated PAL or Secam video. I bought a partly populated ( no dynamic RAM or ROMs) in 1982. I don't know how well it worked with PAL or Secam monitors. As-is with a monochrome NTSC monitor, the video rolled both ways. Several people I knew tried to convert their boards to NTSC. One guy even sold me a nice big blueprint schematic. I duplicated the video/refresh circuit on a protoboard and experimented with it. I eventually got it to work with an NTSC monitor, but never saw what color looked like. I don't know what the story was about these boards. They nay not have worked well with Euro monitors.