From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: My FQDN
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 02:28:46 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 15:28 UTC

Sorry to be bringing back old scores.

Leafnode insists that I use a proper FQDN. At that time, I was using my
allocated domain name, as I still do. Bits recommended that I replace
the term "net" with something else. I did not follow his advice, but I
never explained why.

The first reason was that Bits had already tried his recommended term,
and had run into problems. The second reason was that to be an FQDN.
the whole string must be parseable by the DNS servers. Any term they
recognized (.com, .net, .asn, and similar) would be O.K., but anything
else in that position would probably throw up a syntax error. It seemed
logical to use the name already assigned to me.

Doug.

Re: My FQDN

<op.1ujy1qw7a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5200&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5200

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: My FQDN
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:04:28 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 17:04 UTC

On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 11:28:46 -0400, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> Sorry to be bringing back old scores.
>
> Leafnode insists that I use a proper FQDN. At that time, I was using my
> allocated domain name, as I still do. Bits recommended that I replace
> the term "net" with something else. I did not follow his advice, but I
> never explained why.
>
> The first reason was that Bits had already tried his recommended term,
> and had run into problems. The second reason was that to be an FQDN.
> the whole string must be parseable by the DNS servers. Any term they
> recognized (.com, .net, .asn, and similar) would be O.K., but anything
> else in that position would probably throw up a syntax error. It seemed
> logical to use the name already assigned to me.

Is there a question in there somewhere?

# grep -v -e ^'#' -e ^$ /etc/leafnode/config
expire = 20
server = localhost
port = 564
username = dwhodgins
password = <munged>
timeout = 300
timeout_fetchnews = 300
initialfetch = 500
nodesc = 1
maxage = 5
filterfile = /etc/leafnode/filters
debugmode = 0
create_all_links = 0
allow_8bit_headers = 1
article_despite_filter = 1
noxover = 1

I do use an fqdn in my message id, configured in my newsreader.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: My FQDN

<slrntle9vi.120hf.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5201&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5201

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:03:57 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 00:03 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 02:28:46 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> Sorry to be bringing back old scores.

And as usual you fail to provide any information like actual error message
current machine FQDN and Leafnode config file contents less id/password. :(

> Leafnode insists that I use a proper FQDN. At that time, I was using my
> allocated domain name, as I still do. Bits recommended that I replace
> the term "net" with something else. I did not follow his advice, but I
> never explained why.
>
> The first reason was that Bits had already tried his recommended term,
> and had run into problems. The second reason was that to be an FQDN.
> the whole string must be parseable by the DNS servers. Any term they
> recognized (.com, .net, .asn, and similar) would be O.K., but anything
> else in that position would probably throw up a syntax error. It seemed
> logical to use the name already assigned to me.

$ hostname --fqdn # shows machine FQDN
wb.home.test

$ grep $(hostname --fqdn) /etc/hosts # shows machine LAN ip address fqdn and alias
192.168.50.132 wb.home.test wb

to see my WAN ip address and FQDN I can do a
$ traceroute $(wget -qO - http://icanhazip.com)
traceroute to 72.181.145.117 (72.181.145.117), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 isprtrwan.isprouter.net (72.181.145.117) 0.426 ms 0.479 ms 0.576 ms

which indicates isprtrwan.isprouter.net would be my WAN FQDN

Re: My FQDN

<tk39kv$p4c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5208&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5208

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 02:03:58 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:03 UTC

On 25/10/22 04:04, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 11:28:46 -0400, Doug Laidlaw
> <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to be bringing back old scores.
>>
>> Leafnode insists that I use a proper FQDN.  At that time, I was using my
>> allocated domain name, as I still do.  Bits recommended that I replace
>> the term "net" with something else.  I did not follow his advice, but I
>> never explained why.
>>
>> The first reason was that Bits had already tried his recommended term,
>> and had run into problems.  The second reason was that to be an FQDN.
>> the whole string must be parseable by the DNS servers.  Any term they
>> recognized (.com, .net, .asn, and similar) would be O.K., but anything
>> else in that position would probably throw up a syntax error.  It seemed
>> logical to use the name already assigned to me.
>
> Is there a question in there somewhere?
>
> # grep -v -e ^'#' -e ^$ /etc/leafnode/config
> expire = 20
> server = localhost
> port = 564
> username = dwhodgins
> password = <munged>
> timeout = 300
> timeout_fetchnews = 300
> initialfetch = 500
> nodesc = 1
> maxage = 5
> filterfile = /etc/leafnode/filters
> debugmode = 0
> create_all_links = 0
> allow_8bit_headers = 1
> article_despite_filter = 1
> noxover = 1
>
> I do use an fqdn in my message id, configured in my newsreader.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

No, just a report. The maintainer regards "localhost.localdomain"
almost as if it will cause serious damage. He believes that the default
domain name is so common that a DNS server could easily connect to the
wrong one. A proper FQDN is unique. I set it, not in
/etc/leafnode.conf, but in the Networking setup, so that it applies
globally. "localhost" then shows as an alias.

Nowadays, this is the only nntp group I follow, so I no longer need
Leafnode. Genealogy has moved to Facebook, and the depression ng is
full of rubbish.

Doug.

Re: My FQDN

<tk40iu$2179j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5209&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5209

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 08:35:26 +1100
 by: faeychild - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 21:35 UTC

On 5/11/22 02:03, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> Nowadays, this is the only nntp group I follow, so I no longer need
> Leafnode.  Genealogy has moved to Facebook, and the depression ng is
> full of rubbish.

When first scanned it I thought that I was going to read "depression ng
has become depressing" :-)

Regards

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.74-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.