"BTW, does Jesus know you flame?" -- Diane Holt, dianeh@binky.UUCP, to Ed Carp

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Need an open source pgp program

SubjectAuthor
* Need an open source pgp programzeb
`* Re: Need an open source pgp programDavid E. Ross
 `* Re: Need an open source pgp programzeb
  `* Re: Need an open source pgp programDavid E. Ross
   `* Re: Need an open source pgp programzeb
    +- Re: Need an open source pgp programPaul
    `* Re: Need an open source pgp programDavid E. Ross
     `* Re: Need an open source pgp programzeb
      `* Re: Need an open source pgp programzeb
       `* Re: Need an open source pgp programDavid E. Ross
        `* Re: Need an open source pgp programzeb
         `- Re: Need an open source pgp programDavid E. Ross

1
Need an open source pgp program

<7f9bmhtmn19bmsr90ab689dglepdiik44h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5216&group=alt.windows7.general#5216

From: zeb...@not.aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Need an open source pgp program
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 17:55:36 -0600
 by: zeb...@not.aol.com - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 23:55 UTC

I'm still using PGP 6.5.8 Ckt

(Don't tell me it's old and broken. I ain't here to argue that
paranoid nonsense.)

I've looked around at all the 'open' source PGPs and all I see are a
whole bunch of other junk that you need with them. For instance, that
Kleopatra stuff - or however you spell it.

I like my ckt version because it is so S-I-M-P-L-E to use.

I don't want a whole bunch of other parts to use it. With 6.5.8, I
type up a text file, bring up ckt and encrypt it, save it, send
it/copy it to wherever.

File encryption is even simpler.

Because of Efail, I do email encryption/decryption manually - outside
the email. Besides, I only use online email accounts.

Is there an uptodate open source pgp that I can use that is as simple
as my ckt version?

I'll be using Win 7 with it.

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<tk48rf$pnr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5217&group=alt.windows7.general#5217

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Need an open source pgp program
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:56:31 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 23:56 UTC

On 11/4/2022 4:55 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
> I'm still using PGP 6.5.8 Ckt
>
> (Don't tell me it's old and broken. I ain't here to argue that
> paranoid nonsense.)
>
> I've looked around at all the 'open' source PGPs and all I see are a
> whole bunch of other junk that you need with them. For instance, that
> Kleopatra stuff - or however you spell it.
>
> I like my ckt version because it is so S-I-M-P-L-E to use.
>
> I don't want a whole bunch of other parts to use it. With 6.5.8, I
> type up a text file, bring up ckt and encrypt it, save it, send
> it/copy it to wherever.
>
> File encryption is even simpler.
>
> Because of Efail, I do email encryption/decryption manually - outside
> the email. Besides, I only use online email accounts.
>
> Is there an uptodate open source pgp that I can use that is as simple
> as my ckt version?
>
> I'll be using Win 7 with it.

Do you really want open source, where you can get and even modify the
source code and then compile it? Or do you instead want freeware?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<4hlbmhd13ja574k60flo4i30h1949i4rde@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5218&group=alt.windows7.general#5218

From: zeb...@not.aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 21:33:57 -0600
 by: zeb...@not.aol.com - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 03:33 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:56:31 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/4/2022 4:55 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
>> I'm still using PGP 6.5.8 Ckt
>>
>> (Don't tell me it's old and broken. I ain't here to argue that
>> paranoid nonsense.)
>>
>> I've looked around at all the 'open' source PGPs and all I see are a
>> whole bunch of other junk that you need with them. For instance, that
>> Kleopatra stuff - or however you spell it.
>>
>> I like my ckt version because it is so S-I-M-P-L-E to use.
>>
>> I don't want a whole bunch of other parts to use it. With 6.5.8, I
>> type up a text file, bring up ckt and encrypt it, save it, send
>> it/copy it to wherever.
>>
>> File encryption is even simpler.
>>
>> Because of Efail, I do email encryption/decryption manually - outside
>> the email. Besides, I only use online email accounts.
>>
>> Is there an uptodate open source pgp that I can use that is as simple
>> as my ckt version?
>>
>> I'll be using Win 7 with it.
>>

>Do you really want open source, where you can get and even modify the
>source code and then compile it? Or do you instead want freeware?

Read/compile open source? I got enuf problems reading the ingredients
off a cereal box label. What in my half intelligible post made you
think I knew what the hell I was doing?

I use online e-mail only. I compose in a text editor. I PGP encrypt
it while still in the text editor. I copy paste that into the Compose
window of the e-mail site. I hit Send. I don't need no other help
from Kleo or whomever.

For files, I find one on my drive and hit the PGP padlock icon and
encrypt the file. In other words, I do all the hard work myself. As
I said, to hell with Kleo and her "necessary" buddy additional apps,
or whatever they're called.

I didn't know S-I-M-P-L-E was so complicated in this world of new
"updates".

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<tk4rm9$c7h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5220&group=alt.windows7.general#5220

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 22:17:59 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 05:17 UTC

On 11/4/2022 8:33 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:56:31 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 11/4/2022 4:55 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
>>> I'm still using PGP 6.5.8 Ckt
>>>
>>> (Don't tell me it's old and broken. I ain't here to argue that
>>> paranoid nonsense.)
>>>
>>> I've looked around at all the 'open' source PGPs and all I see are a
>>> whole bunch of other junk that you need with them. For instance, that
>>> Kleopatra stuff - or however you spell it.
>>>
>>> I like my ckt version because it is so S-I-M-P-L-E to use.
>>>
>>> I don't want a whole bunch of other parts to use it. With 6.5.8, I
>>> type up a text file, bring up ckt and encrypt it, save it, send
>>> it/copy it to wherever.
>>>
>>> File encryption is even simpler.
>>>
>>> Because of Efail, I do email encryption/decryption manually - outside
>>> the email. Besides, I only use online email accounts.
>>>
>>> Is there an uptodate open source pgp that I can use that is as simple
>>> as my ckt version?
>>>
>>> I'll be using Win 7 with it.
>>>

>> Do you really want open source, where you can get and even modify the
>> source code and then compile it? Or do you instead want freeware?
>
> Read/compile open source? I got enuf problems reading the ingredients
> off a cereal box label. What in my half intelligible post made you
> think I knew what the hell I was doing?
>
> I use online e-mail only. I compose in a text editor. I PGP encrypt
> it while still in the text editor. I copy paste that into the Compose
> window of the e-mail site. I hit Send. I don't need no other help
> from Kleo or whomever.
>
> For files, I find one on my drive and hit the PGP padlock icon and
> encrypt the file. In other words, I do all the hard work myself. As
> I said, to hell with Kleo and her "necessary" buddy additional apps,
> or whatever they're called.
>
> I didn't know S-I-M-P-L-E was so complicated in this world of new
> "updates".

Okay, you want freeware. I have a copy of the installer for PGP 10.1.2,
which was freeware when I got it. As far as I can tell, it was the last
version for which the source code was available for independent
verification that there was no backdoor or other intentional
vulnerability. If you want a copy, reply in this newsgroup thread.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<o9idmhd9snolvmnlj1450cuf7ks6m68p6n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5224&group=alt.windows7.general#5224

From: zeb...@not.aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 14:40:04 -0600
 by: zeb...@not.aol.com - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 20:40 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 22:17:59 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/4/2022 8:33 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:56:31 -0700, "David E. Ross"
>> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>>> Do you really want open source, where you can get and even modify the
>>> source code and then compile it? Or do you instead want freeware?
>>
>> Read/compile open source? I got enuf problems reading the ingredients
>> off a cereal box label. What in my half intelligible post made you
>> think I knew what the hell I was doing?
>>
>> I use online e-mail only. I compose in a text editor. I PGP encrypt
>> it while still in the text editor. I copy paste that into the Compose
>> window of the e-mail site. I hit Send. I don't need no other help
>> from Kleo or whomever.
>>
>> For files, I find one on my drive and hit the PGP padlock icon and
>> encrypt the file. In other words, I do all the hard work myself. As
>> I said, to hell with Kleo and her "necessary" buddy additional apps,
>> or whatever they're called.
>>
>> I didn't know S-I-M-P-L-E was so complicated in this world of new
>> "updates".
>>

>Okay, you want freeware. I have a copy of the installer for PGP 10.1.2,
>which was freeware when I got it. As far as I can tell, it was the last
>version for which the source code was available for independent
>verification that there was no backdoor or other intentional
>vulnerability. If you want a copy, reply in this newsgroup thread.

I could use a bit more modern PGP just in case.

How we going to do this? Is airmail still around? I really liked
those special envelopes

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<tk6sr7$2o1vf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5226&group=alt.windows7.general#5226

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:49:59 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 23:49 UTC

On 11/5/2022 4:40 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 22:17:59 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 11/4/2022 8:33 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:

>>> Read/compile open source? I got enuf problems reading the ingredients
>>> off a cereal box label. What in my half intelligible post made you
>>> think I knew what the hell I was doing?
>>>
>>> I use online e-mail only. I compose in a text editor. I PGP encrypt
>>> it while still in the text editor. I copy paste that into the Compose
>>> window of the e-mail site. I hit Send. I don't need no other help
>>> from Kleo or whomever.
>>>
>>> For files, I find one on my drive and hit the PGP padlock icon and
>>> encrypt the file. In other words, I do all the hard work myself. As
>>> I said, to hell with Kleo and her "necessary" buddy additional apps,
>>> or whatever they're called.
>>>
>>> I didn't know S-I-M-P-L-E was so complicated in this world of new
>>> "updates".
>>>

>> Okay, you want freeware. I have a copy of the installer for PGP 10.1.2,
>> which was freeware when I got it. As far as I can tell, it was the last
>> version for which the source code was available for independent
>> verification that there was no backdoor or other intentional
>> vulnerability. If you want a copy, reply in this newsgroup thread.
>
> I could use a bit more modern PGP just in case.
>
> How we going to do this? Is airmail still around? I really liked
> those special envelopes

David has a web site. He could even encrypt the goods, so only
you could read them :-)

The only thing I could find, was GPG4win and it has "gpa" Assistant in it.
But I don't know if that would break your way of doing things though.

The gpg4win is a QT5 wrapper ("decoration style") for the linux version.
Runs on Windows as normal. Getting it from this site is "less challenging"

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6650-gpg4win.html

compared to getting it from the parent site.

https://www.gpg4win.org/get-gpg4win.html

You can examine what is inside the EXE obtained, by using 7ZIP archiver.

https://7-zip.org/a/7z1900-x64.exe

I was able to run "gpa" on Windows 11, using the Microsoft Linux subsystem and
its Ubuntu 20.04 image. But since I'd not a crypto person, I don't
know what any of that stuff means in there. That means on the machine
I'm typing on, I could run the Linux version of "gpa" with Linux
decorations for the window.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Bv9pvQmf/gnu-privacy-assistant.gif

Paul

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<tk76h7$sa4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5228&group=alt.windows7.general#5228

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:35:19 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 02:35 UTC

On 11/5/2022 1:40 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 22:17:59 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 11/4/2022 8:33 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:

>>> Read/compile open source? I got enuf problems reading the ingredients
>>> off a cereal box label. What in my half intelligible post made you
>>> think I knew what the hell I was doing?
>>>
>>> I use online e-mail only. I compose in a text editor. I PGP encrypt
>>> it while still in the text editor. I copy paste that into the Compose
>>> window of the e-mail site. I hit Send. I don't need no other help
>>> from Kleo or whomever.
>>>
>>> For files, I find one on my drive and hit the PGP padlock icon and
>>> encrypt the file. In other words, I do all the hard work myself. As
>>> I said, to hell with Kleo and her "necessary" buddy additional apps,
>>> or whatever they're called.
>>>
>>> I didn't know S-I-M-P-L-E was so complicated in this world of new
>>> "updates".
>>>

>> Okay, you want freeware. I have a copy of the installer for PGP 10.1.2,
>> which was freeware when I got it. As far as I can tell, it was the last
>> version for which the source code was available for independent
>> verification that there was no backdoor or other intentional
>> vulnerability. If you want a copy, reply in this newsgroup thread.
>
> I could use a bit more modern PGP just in case.
>
> How we going to do this? Is airmail still around? I really liked
> those special envelopes

If you want it, I upload the installer file to the test folder in my Web
site. You download it from there. Then you let me know you have it,
and I then delete it from my Web site.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<o5pemh1u9ncq5mgrtpnp33gc1gtpqphhad@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5230&group=alt.windows7.general#5230

From: zeb...@not.aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 01:43:28 -0600
 by: zeb...@not.aol.com - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 07:43 UTC

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:35:19 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/5/2022 1:40 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 22:17:59 -0700, "David E. Ross"
>> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>>> Okay, you want freeware. I have a copy of the installer for PGP 10.1.2,
>>> which was freeware when I got it. As far as I can tell, it was the last
>>> version for which the source code was available for independent
>>> verification that there was no backdoor or other intentional
>>> vulnerability. If you want a copy, reply in this newsgroup thread.
>>
>> I could use a bit more modern PGP just in case.
>>
>> How we going to do this? Is airmail still around? I really liked
>> those special envelopes
>>

>If you want it, I upload the installer file to the test folder in my Web
>site. You download it from there. Then you let me know you have it,
>and I then delete it from my Web site.

Okay. Let's do it. Give me the URL of the test folder.

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<t2qemh1it3l9b7hn29ppoi9hun5i9va9b3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5231&group=alt.windows7.general#5231

From: zeb...@not.aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 01:56:48 -0600
 by: zeb...@not.aol.com - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 07:56 UTC

On Sun, 06 Nov 2022 01:43:28 -0600, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:35:19 -0700, "David E. Ross"
><nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 11/5/2022 1:40 PM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:

>>> I could use a bit more modern PGP just in case.
>>>
>>> How we going to do this? Is airmail still around? I really liked
>>> those special envelopes
>>>

>>If you want it, I upload the installer file to the test folder in my Web
>>site. You download it from there. Then you let me know you have it,
>>and I then delete it from my Web site.
>
>Okay. Let's do it. Give me the URL of the test folder.

I went to the site. Added 'test' to the main url. Got this page -

http://www.rossde.com/test/

All kinds of stuff there. Waiting for pgp to show up.

(Helluva site.)

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<tk8noa$13va$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5237&group=alt.windows7.general#5237

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 08:35:21 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:35 UTC

On 11/6/2022 12:56 AM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2022 01:43:28 -0600, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 19:35:19 -0700, "David E. Ross"
>> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>>> If you want it, I upload the installer file to the test folder in my Web
>>> site. You download it from there. Then you let me know you have it,
>>> and I then delete it from my Web site.
>>
>> Okay. Let's do it. Give me the URL of the test folder.
>
> I went to the site. Added 'test' to the main url. Got this page -
>
> http://www.rossde.com/test/
>
> All kinds of stuff there. Waiting for pgp to show up.
>
> (Helluva site.)

Go to <http://www.rossde.com/test/PGP/>. There are two versions of PGP
there:
PGPDesktopWin32-10.1.2.exe for 32-bit PCs
PGPDesktopWin64-10.1.2.exe for 64-bit PCs (I use this one.)

Download the version for your PC. Then let me know you have it so that
I can delete them (72 MB) from my Web site.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<ie3gmhdsdg69bl9aaihdhta44sq6d79idj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5243&group=alt.windows7.general#5243

From: zeb...@not.aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 13:42:39 -0600
 by: zeb...@not.aol.com - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 19:42 UTC

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 08:35:21 -0800, "David E. Ross"
<nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

DEL

>Go to <http://www.rossde.com/test/PGP/>. There are two versions of PGP
>there:
>PGPDesktopWin32-10.1.2.exe for 32-bit PCs
>PGPDesktopWin64-10.1.2.exe for 64-bit PCs (I use this one.)
>
>Download the version for your PC. Then let me know you have it so that
>I can delete them (72 MB) from my Web site.

Got 'em! Both. MIght need the 64 bit one down the road.

Thank You MUCH!

Re: Need an open source pgp program

<tk96up$61p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5244&group=alt.windows7.general#5244

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 12:54:48 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 20:54 UTC

On 11/6/2022 11:42 AM, zeb@not.aol.com wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 08:35:21 -0800, "David E. Ross"
> <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
> DEL
>

>> Go to <http://www.rossde.com/test/PGP/>. There are two versions of PGP
>> there:
>> PGPDesktopWin32-10.1.2.exe for 32-bit PCs
>> PGPDesktopWin64-10.1.2.exe for 64-bit PCs (I use this one.)
>>
>> Download the version for your PC. Then let me know you have it so that
>> I can delete them (72 MB) from my Web site.
>
> Got 'em! Both. MIght need the 64 bit one down the road.
>
> Thank You MUCH!

You are welcome. :)