From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Bootsplash with rEFInd
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:54:11 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:54 UTC

When booting rEFInd, the default method is to show a graphical history,
although eventually, X is running.

Is there a way to make rEFInd hide this history and imitate a full
graphical startup? The only method I have found was in an old, archived
source which was no longer available. (Sour grapes: it may no longer
work, anyway.)

Doug.

Re: Bootsplash with rEFInd

<op.1vkt7pyba3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5237&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5237

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Bootsplash with rEFInd
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:51:15 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:51 UTC

On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 04:54:11 -0500, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> When booting rEFInd, the default method is to show a graphical history,
> although eventually, X is running.
>
> Is there a way to make rEFInd hide this history and imitate a full
> graphical startup? The only method I have found was in an old, archived
> source which was no longer available. (Sour grapes: it may no longer
> work, anyway.)

If by history, you mean the last selected entry becomes the default, I think
that can be overridden by specifying the default_selection in
/boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Bootsplash with rEFInd

<tkrmfe$1ihm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5240&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5240

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 08:10:05 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 21:10 UTC

On 14/11/22 01:51, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> If by history, you mean the last selected entry becomes the default, I
> think
> that can be overridden by specifying the default_selection in
> /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

I thought that it should be there; I must have looked straight past it.
By history, I was referring to the entries during bootup, normally
hidden by the bootsplash.

Re: Bootsplash with rEFInd

<tktrfr$75q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5246&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5246

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 03:47:53 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 16:47 UTC

On 14/11/22 08:10, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 14/11/22 01:51, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>
>> If by history, you mean the last selected entry becomes the default, I
>> think
>> that can be overridden by specifying the default_selection in
>> /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> I thought that it should be there; I must have looked straight past it.
> By history, I was referring to the entries during bootup, normally
> hidden by the bootsplash.
I am getting nowhere with this. I was treating rEFInd as another
bootloader, like Grub2, but it seems that it isn't. rEFInd can call
grub2, and then I see the standard Mageia grub2 list to choose from. In
efibootmgr, rEFInd is listed as a choice, just as a distro is listed.

Just to state again what I am enquiring about:

When I boot Mageia from its icon in rEFInd, i get a text-mode bootup,
such as I would see when booting into rescue mode. Then X starts, and
the desktop is loaded.

When I boot Mageia with Grub2, I see only a graphical screen (probably
not X; the equivalent of DOS in a Windows setup, is this what
"framebuffer" means?) until X starts, and it hides all the text-mode
stuff. rEFInd seems not to be concerned with any distro settings, such
as those in /etc/default/grub, and I can't make the Mageia startup
screen appear until after rEFInd has finished doing whatever it does. I
can simply switch back to Grub, instead of doing everything twice.

Doug.

Re: Bootsplash with rEFInd

<slrntn4tga.1c9er.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5248&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5248

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:08:26 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:08 UTC

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 03:47:53 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 14/11/22 08:10, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>
> When I boot Mageia with Grub2, I see only a graphical screen (probably
> not X; the equivalent of DOS in a Windows setup, is this what
> "framebuffer" means?) until X starts, and it hides all the text-mode
> stuff.

Yup, I removed quiet and set audit=0 splash=off plymouth.enable=0
just so I can watch what is happening while system boots via grub2.

Re: Bootsplash with rEFInd

<op.1vmy7wfja3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5249&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5249

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 13:34:34 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 18:34 UTC

On Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:47:53 -0500, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> I am getting nowhere with this. I was treating rEFInd as another
> bootloader, like Grub2, but it seems that it isn't. rEFInd can call
> grub2, and then I see the standard Mageia grub2 list to choose from. In
> efibootmgr, rEFInd is listed as a choice, just as a distro is listed.
>
> Just to state again what I am enquiring about:
>
> When I boot Mageia from its icon in rEFInd, i get a text-mode bootup,
> such as I would see when booting into rescue mode. Then X starts, and
> the desktop is loaded.
>
> When I boot Mageia with Grub2, I see only a graphical screen (probably
> not X; the equivalent of DOS in a Windows setup, is this what
> "framebuffer" means?) until X starts, and it hides all the text-mode
> stuff. rEFInd seems not to be concerned with any distro settings, such
> as those in /etc/default/grub, and I can't make the Mageia startup
> screen appear until after rEFInd has finished doing whatever it does. I
> can simply switch back to Grub, instead of doing everything twice.

With refind, it's configuration does not need to be updated with each kernel
install. It searches for bootable installs during startup and has one icon
per bootable install/method.

If you want the text hidden during startup, use drakboot to edit the kernel
parameters for the linux stanza to ensure "splash quiet" are both present.
Alternatively the file /boot/refind_linux.conf can be manually edited.

Remove splash and quiet if you do want to see the boot progress messages.

Regards, Dave Hodgins