computers / comp.text.tex / Re: Embedded list item numbers

SubjectAuthor
* Embedded list item numbersPeter Flynn
+* Re: Embedded list item numbersPeter Flynn
|+- Re: Embedded list item numbersAthel Cornish-Bowden
|`- Re: Embedded list item numbersUlrich D i e z
+- Re: Embedded list item numbersAlain Ketterlin
`- Re: Embedded list item numbersPeter Flynn

1
Embedded list item numbers

<jo8bqfFp6c0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5256&group=comp.text.tex#5256

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Embedded list item numbers
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:18:07 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:18 UTC

I'm trying to use the enumitem package to get this format:

1 This is the first item in the list. The number is NOT
in the margin, but embedded in the 1em indentation, in bold.
2 This is the second item. The remainder of the text in
the item wraps to the left-hand edge of the text area.
The list itself is flush with the left-hand edge also.

I have managed to get it to look right, but the log file says

> Package enumitem Warning: Negative labelwidth. This does not make much
> (enumitem) sense, on input line 60.

Line 60 says

\begin{enumerate}[label=\textbf{\arabic*},
labelwidth=-1em,itemindent=0pt,
leftmargin=0pt,noitemsep]

Before I start stripping the file down to a MWE, is there a
better way to do this?

Peter

Re: Embedded list item numbers

<jo8ct7Fpc9vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5257&group=comp.text.tex#5257

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Embedded list item numbers
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:36:39 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:36 UTC

On 12/09/2022 10:18, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
> Before I start stripping the file down to a MWE, is there a
> better way to do this?

Here's the MWE

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{enumitem,parskip}
\begin{document}
Left
\begin{enumerate}[label=\textbf{\arabic*},
labelwidth=-1em,itemindent=0pt,
leftmargin=0pt,noitemsep]
\item This is the first item in the list. The number is NOT
in the margin, but embedded in the 1em indentation, in bold.
\item This is the second item. The remainder of the text in
the item wraps to the left-hand edge of the text area.
The list itself is flush with the left-hand edge also.
\end{enumerate}
Left
\end{document}

Peter

Re: Embedded list item numbers

<jo8nsnFr2kfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5258&group=comp.text.tex#5258

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:44:07 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:44 UTC

On 2022-09-12 09:36:39 +0000, Peter Flynn said:

> On 12/09/2022 10:18, Peter Flynn wrote:
> [...]
>> Before I start stripping the file down to a MWE, is there a
>> better way to do this?
>
> Here's the MWE

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{enumitem,parskip}
> \begin{document}
> Left
> \begin{enumerate}[label=\textbf{\arabic*},
> labelwidth=-1em,itemindent=0pt,
> leftmargin=0pt,noitemsep]
> \item This is the first item in the list. The number is NOT
> in the margin, but embedded in the 1em indentation, in bold.
> \item This is the second item. The remainder of the text in
> the item wraps to the left-hand edge of the text area.
> The list itself is flush with the left-hand edge also.
> \end{enumerate}
> Left
> \end{document}
>
> Peter

It produces exactly the result you describe on my system (Mac OS
10.14.6; TexShop 4.21), but with no complaint in the log.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Re: Embedded list item numbers

<tfnj6j$246n$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5259&group=comp.text.tex#5259

From: ud.usene...@web.de (Ulrich D i e z)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:28:30 +0200
 by: Ulrich D i e z - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:28 UTC

Peter Flynn wrote:

> Here's the MWE

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{enumitem,parskip}
> \begin{document}
> Left
> \begin{enumerate}[label=\textbf{\arabic*},
>     labelwidth=-1em,itemindent=0pt,
>     leftmargin=0pt,noitemsep]
> \item This is the first item in the list. The number is NOT
> in the margin, but embedded in the 1em indentation, in bold.
> \item This is the second item. The remainder of the text in
> the item wraps to the left-hand edge of the text area.
> The list itself is flush with the left-hand edge also.
> \end{enumerate}
> Left
> \end{document}

In the first line TeX goes itemindent to the right. For placing
the label of the item TeX from there goes labelsep to the left
and places a box of width labelwidth which sticks towards the left
edge/margin.

I suggest giving itemindent and labelwith the same value and
setting labelsep to 0pt and having item-labels aligned at the
left edge of the box of width labelwidth that holds the
item-label:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{enumitem,parskip}
\begin{document}
Left
\begin{enumerate}[label=\textbf{\arabic*},align=left,
itemindent=1em,labelsep=0em,labelwidth=1em,
leftmargin=0pt,noitemsep]
\item This is the first item in the list. The number is NOT
in the margin, but embedded in the 1em indentation, in bold.
\item This is the second item. The remainder of the text in
the item wraps to the left-hand edge of the text area.
The list itself is flush with the left-hand edge also.
\end{enumerate}
Left
\end{document}

If the item numbers can't be just single digits, I suggest
choosing itemindent and labelwidth slightly larger than
just 1em.

Sincerely

Ulrich

Re: Embedded list item numbers

<87v8psa7xh.fsf@universite-de-strasbourg.fr.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5260&group=comp.text.tex#5260

From: ala...@universite-de-strasbourg.fr.invalid (Alain Ketterlin)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:12:10 +0200
 by: Alain Ketterlin - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:12 UTC

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> I'm trying to use the enumitem package to get this format:

> 1 This is the first item in the list. The number is NOT
> in the margin, but embedded in the 1em indentation, in bold.
> 2 This is the second item. The remainder of the text in
> the item wraps to the left-hand edge of the text area.
> The list itself is flush with the left-hand edge also.
>
> I have managed to get it to look right, but the log file says
>
>> Package enumitem Warning: Negative labelwidth. This does not make much
>> (enumitem) sense, on input line 60.
>
> Line 60 says
>
> \begin{enumerate}[label=\textbf{\arabic*},
> labelwidth=-1em,itemindent=0pt,
> leftmargin=0pt,noitemsep]

It seems to me that what you want is provided by the [wide] option,
which, according to the manual, means

align=left, leftmargin=0pt, labelindent=\parindent,
listparindent=\parindent, labelwidth=0pt, itemindent=!

-- Alain.

Re: Embedded list item numbers

<joc439Fct8bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5265&group=comp.text.tex#5265

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 21:30:49 +0200
 by: Peter Flynn - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 19:30 UTC

On 12/09/2022 11:18, Peter Flynn wrote:
> I'm trying to use the enumitem package to get this format:

Thank you all for your help.

Peter