Subject: Trouble shooting XP1000
From: Joukj
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 08:36 UTC
From: jou...@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl (Joukj)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 10:36:46 +0200
Hi

One of my XP1000's had to be relocated. However I cannot power it up at the new location. When I push the power button I see the Fan in the top front run for 1 second and than the machine stops

What could be the problem?
or
What can I do to trouble-shoot?

          Regards
             Jouk

Subject: Re: Trouble shooting XP1000
From: Joukj
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 11:22 UTC
From: jou...@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl (Joukj)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 13:22:39 +0200
Joukj wrote:
Hi

One of my XP1000's had to be relocated. However I cannot power it up at the new location. When I push the power button I see the Fan in the top front run for 1 second and than the machine stops

What could be the problem?
or
What can I do to trouble-shoot?

Even stranger.... I left the power cord in after the last try and when I came back after 2 hours, the machine had powered itself up.

            Jouk

From: Scott Dorsey
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 11:27 UTC
From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: 8 May 2020 07:27:03 -0400
View all headers
Joukj  <joukj@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:
Joukj wrote:

One of my XP1000's had to be relocated. However I cannot power it up at
the new location. When I push the power button I see the Fan in the top
front run for 1 second and than the machine stops

What could be the problem?
or
What can I do to trouble-shoot?

Even stranger.... I left the power cord in after the last try and when I
came back after 2 hours, the machine had powered itself up.

Output capacitors on power supply are bad.  It's worth just shotgunning all
of the electrolytics on the board.  Since you are in Europe on 240V power,
also suspect the two high voltage electrolytics on the primary side. They
seldom fail in the US but frequently fail in Europe.
--scott

From: tom...@frontieranalytical.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 19:39 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 12:39:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: tom...@frontieranalytical.com
Joukj wrote:

One of my XP1000's had to be relocated. However I cannot power it up at
the new location. When I push the power button I see the Fan in the top
front run for 1 second and than the machine stops

What could be the problem?
or
What can I do to trouble-shoot?

Even stranger.... I left the power cord in after the last try and when I
came back after 2 hours, the machine had powered itself up.

Output capacitors on power supply are bad.  It's worth just shotgunning all
of the electrolytics on the board.  Since you are in Europe on 240V power,
also suspect the two high voltage electrolytics on the primary side. They
seldom fail in the US but frequently fail in Europe.
--scott

I agree with Scott, powersupply is failing.
If you shut it off again, it likely won't fire up at all.
Backup your media right away.

'Crabs

From: Phillip Helbig (undr
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 09:15 UTC
From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 09:15:17 +0000 (UTC)
In article <r93fdv$16o3$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Joukj
<joukj@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> writes:

One of my XP1000's had to be relocated. However I cannot power it up at
the new location. When I push the power button I see the Fan in the top
front run for 1 second and than the machine stops

What could be the problem?
or
What can I do to trouble-shoot?

Even stranger.... I left the power cord in after the last try and when I
came back after 2 hours, the machine had powered itself up.

Sometimes machines overheat and switch off.  :-|

From: Joukj
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 06:49 UTC
From: jou...@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl (Joukj)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 08:49:24 +0200
Joukj wrote:
One of my XP1000's had to be relocated. However I cannot power it up at the new location. When I push the power button I see the Fan in the top front run for 1 second and than the machine stops

What could be the problem?
or
What can I do to trouble-shoot?
Even stranger.... I left the power cord in after the last try and when I came back after 2 hours, the machine had powered itself up.
Output capacitors on power supply are bad.  It's worth just shotgunning all
of the electrolytics on the board.  Since you are in Europe on 240V power,
also suspect the two high voltage electrolytics on the primary side. They
seldom fail in the US but frequently fail in Europe.
--scott

-- "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

I agree with Scott, powersupply is failing.
If you shut it off again, it likely won't fire up at all.
Backup your media right away.

that's my plan.
It is running now for several days.

        regards