You had mail, but the super-user read it, and deleted it!

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / :) BD, Doom!

SubjectAuthor
* :) BD, Doom!Ant
+* Re: :) BD, Doom!pop
|`* Re: :) BD, Doom!Spalls Hurgenson
| `- Re: :) BD, Doom!Ant
+* Re: :) BD, Doom!JAB
|+* Re: :) BD, Doom!Spalls Hurgenson
||`* Re: :) BD, Doom!JAB
|| `* Re: :) BD, Doom!Spalls Hurgenson
||  `* Re: :) BD, Doom!JAB
||   `- Re: :) BD, Doom!Ant
|`* Re: :) BD, Doom!Ant
| `* Re: :) BD, Doom!JAB
|  `- Re: :) BD, Doom!Ant
`* Re: :) BD, Doom!rms
 `- Re: :) BD, Doom!Ant

1
:) BD, Doom!

<_5-dnR4GAuGfeS78nZ2dnUU7-W0AAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5307&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5307

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: :) BD, Doom!
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:34:26 -0600
 by: Ant - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 23:34 UTC

28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)
--
:) BD Doom that just turned 28 yrs. old! :O TGIF?
| |o o| |

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<sp2dpv$3f7$1@pop.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5314&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5314

From: p_o...@hotmail.com (pop)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Subject: Re: :) BD, Doom!
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 08:49:36 -0600
 by: pop - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 14:49 UTC

Ant wrote on 12/10/2021 5:34 PM:
> 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)
Yeah... and I been there the whole time; still occasionally playing the 5000+ user built maps and mods that are on my hard drive. (remember I am 84 and was 54 when I started along with Supertech)

--
Best wishes;
(^\pop/^) -> Mark

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<3as9rgph37h2dso3duo0l3gso84bj2ra6a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5320&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5320

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 13:54:57 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 18:54 UTC

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 08:49:36 -0600, pop <p_o_p@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Ant wrote on 12/10/2021 5:34 PM:

>> 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)

>Yeah... and I been there the whole time; still occasionally playing the
>5000+ user built maps and mods that are on my hard drive.
>(remember I am 84 and was 54 when I started along with Supertech)

The hype about Doom in this newsgroup back then was unbelievable; it
felt like every other post was talking about Doom (and this was back
when c.s.i.p.g.action had hundreds of posts per day). As somebody who
was not entirely interested in the game (I liked FPS games, but
Wolfenstein's mazelike maps and lack of variety had left me somewhat
cool to Id's offerings), it was a bit annoying.

I did learn about a lot of new public FTP sites on release day,
though, as people - unable to get on the usual archives - suggested
less widely known sites... which promptly crashed under the load as
tens of thousands of people tried to log on.

IIRC, I was fairly lucky; I managed to get the game on day-1 with only
a minimum of fuss; a few attempted log-ins and a very slow download
later and I was playing. My first impressions were favorable, but not
overwhelmingly impressed. It was definitely head-n-shoulders above
Wolfenstein, if only because its lighting effects created a much
better sense of atmosphere and dread. But I don't think I stuck with
the game very long; after a few hours, I put it aside and went back to
playing something else (probably "Wing Commander: Privateer", which
had come out just a few months prior). I returned to Doom later, and
appreciated it more; I finished the shareware episode (and later
purchased the rest of the game) and enjoyed some multiplayer too. But
initially, it was "just another" game, and my love lay in other areas.
I appreciated it more for its technical chops, I think, than its
gameplay.

Of course, the best thing about Doom is that it birthed Smashing
Pumpkins Into Putrid Piles of Debris, which I think is universally
acclaimed as the greatest game of all time. ;-)

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<nImdnWTtK79Vcyv8nZ2dnUU7-XOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5331&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5331

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 00:57:12 -0600
 by: Ant - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 06:57 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 08:49:36 -0600, pop <p_o_p@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Ant wrote on 12/10/2021 5:34 PM:

> >> 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)

> >Yeah... and I been there the whole time; still occasionally playing the
> >5000+ user built maps and mods that are on my hard drive.
> >(remember I am 84 and was 54 when I started along with Supertech)

> The hype about Doom in this newsgroup back then was unbelievable; it
> felt like every other post was talking about Doom (and this was back
> when c.s.i.p.g.action had hundreds of posts per day). As somebody who
> was not entirely interested in the game (I liked FPS games, but
> Wolfenstein's mazelike maps and lack of variety had left me somewhat
> cool to Id's offerings), it was a bit annoying.

> I did learn about a lot of new public FTP sites on release day,
> though, as people - unable to get on the usual archives - suggested
> less widely known sites... which promptly crashed under the load as
> tens of thousands of people tried to log on.

> IIRC, I was fairly lucky; I managed to get the game on day-1 with only
> a minimum of fuss; a few attempted log-ins and a very slow download
> later and I was playing. My first impressions were favorable, but not
> overwhelmingly impressed. It was definitely head-n-shoulders above
> Wolfenstein, if only because its lighting effects created a much
> better sense of atmosphere and dread. But I don't think I stuck with
> the game very long; after a few hours, I put it aside and went back to
> playing something else (probably "Wing Commander: Privateer", which
> had come out just a few months prior). I returned to Doom later, and
> appreciated it more; I finished the shareware episode (and later
> purchased the rest of the game) and enjoyed some multiplayer too. But
> initially, it was "just another" game, and my love lay in other areas.
> I appreciated it more for its technical chops, I think, than its
> gameplay.

> Of course, the best thing about Doom is that it birthed Smashing
> Pumpkins Into Putrid Piles of Debris, which I think is universally
> acclaimed as the greatest game of all time. ;-)

IIRC, I got it from a local dial-up BBS.
--
Incoming major (<2") winter rain storm 2 do more preparations 4 da warm nest & colony! Also, 2 many free weekend games again! :(
| |o o| |

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<sp793e$etc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5333&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5333

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:59:54 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:59 UTC

On 10/12/2021 23:34, Ant wrote:
> 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)

I've never played any of the Doom games but it wish it a happy birthday
anyway.

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<3pverg9ncv7vjj2a0901vieo63b9l10kqk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5334&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5334

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 12:17:54 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:17 UTC

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:59:54 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>On 10/12/2021 23:34, Ant wrote:

>> 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)

>I've never played any of the Doom games but it wish it a happy birthday
>anyway.

Never? Really? Wow.

Even if I wasn't interested in the FPS genre (which would be
incredibly limiting, given how every other game seems to be an FPS
these days), I'd still have given a Doom a try just because of its
historical relevance.

You can still download* the shareware version for free
https://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/shareware.php
Just sayin'.

Doom + Sourceport + Brutal mod = pretty graphics and lots of gory,
gory fun :)

------------------------
* although to play it you'll either need an older OS, a modern
source-port, or an emulator.

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<0YadnXdY27QjCir8nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5336&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5336

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 12:58:06 -0600
 by: Ant - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 18:58 UTC

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/12/2021 23:34, Ant wrote:
> > 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)

> I've never played any of the Doom games but it wish it a happy birthday
> anyway.

Aw, how come? Too young?
--
Incoming major (<2") winter rain storm 2 do more preparations 4 da warm nest & colony! Also, 2 many free weekend games again! :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<sp86cg$s5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5338&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5338

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:19:43 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:19 UTC

On 13/12/2021 18:58, Ant wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/12/2021 23:34, Ant wrote:
>>> 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)
>
>> I've never played any of the Doom games but it wish it a happy birthday
>> anyway.
>
> Aw, how come? Too young?

My first computer was a Specky 48k so probably not!

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<f-GdnSPVQ-DJMyr8nZ2dnUU7-bednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5339&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5339

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 14:34:28 -0600
 by: Ant - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 20:34 UTC

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/12/2021 18:58, Ant wrote:
> >
> >> I've never played any of the Doom games but it wish it a happy birthday
> >> anyway.
> >
> > Aw, how come? Too young?

> My first computer was a Specky 48k so probably not!

Ah. Well, it's not too late to try classic Doom!
--
Incoming major (<2") winter rain storm 2 do more preparations 4 da warm nest & colony! Also, 2 many free weekend games again! :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<sp9vl0$hbe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5344&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5344

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:37:03 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:37 UTC

On 13/12/2021 17:17, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:59:54 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/12/2021 23:34, Ant wrote:
>
>>> 28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)
>
>> I've never played any of the Doom games but it wish it a happy birthday
>> anyway.
>
> Never? Really? Wow.
>
> Even if I wasn't interested in the FPS genre (which would be
> incredibly limiting, given how every other game seems to be an FPS
> these days), I'd still have given a Doom a try just because of its
> historical relevance.
>
> You can still download* the shareware version for free
> https://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/shareware.php
> Just sayin'.
>
> Doom + Sourceport + Brutal mod = pretty graphics and lots of gory,
> gory fun :)
>

> ------------------------
> * although to play it you'll either need an older OS, a modern
> source-port, or an emulator.

The first FPS I ever played was Half Life and that sort of set what I
want from an FPS so when I tried Quake II later it just felt shallow.

Playing HL was also rather strange as I'd seen Doom played and that was
kinda my expectation for what an FPS is. Next thing I know I'm on a
train going through a complex. Another ten mins gone and I still haven't
got a gun nor do I have a clue what's going on.

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<t4rhrgde15rab5giolq6966dtpd5pk0j64@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5352&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5352

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:27:30 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:27 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:37:03 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>On 13/12/2021 17:17, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:59:54 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>>> I've never played any of the Doom games but it wish it a happy birthday
>>> anyway.

>> Never? Really? Wow.
>> Even if I wasn't interested in the FPS genre (which would be
>> incredibly limiting, given how every other game seems to be an FPS
>> these days), I'd still have given a Doom a try just because of its
>> historical relevance.

>The first FPS I ever played was Half Life and that sort of set what I
>want from an FPS so when I tried Quake II later it just felt shallow.

I can see that. I can't argue the fact either; "Doom" (or the "Quake"
games, for that matter) is a much less sophisticated game than Half
Life. After Valve's seminal release, pretty much every FPS pivoted
away from being "Doom-clones" to being "Half Life" clones, with much
greater emphasis on story and atmosphere. It's only been over the last
few years that we've seen a resurgence of "retro FPS" games and -
aside from a few rare exceptions like "Devil Daggers" - even they
still share as much similarity with "Half Life's" design as they do
with "Doom".

Personally, I'm much more fond of Valve's model than Id's, but I can
still appreciate the simple and fast-paced action of "Doom", much as
I'm quite happy to play a map or three of Pac-Man every now and again.
I think you do yourself a disservice if you don't at least give it a
try.

>Playing HL was also rather strange as I'd seen Doom played and that was
>kinda my expectation for what an FPS is. Next thing I know I'm on a
>train going through a complex. Another ten mins gone and I still haven't
>got a gun nor do I have a clue what's going on.

"Half Life's" introductory levels were revelatory at the time and -
initially - quite controversial. A LOT of gamers and critics despised
its very slow-paced opening. I first played it several months after
its release, and by that time I was well aware that the game had this
long, non-violent section at the start, so I went into it unsurprised
and quickly understood that it was being used for world-building and
to create tension for the inevitable explosion. But for those who
jumped into the game blind - especially if they came from a background
of Doom-clones - I can understand why those first levels must have
been so frustrating.

(In my head, I see those gamers as that kid from the Simpsons pointing
and crying "Stop, stop, he's already dead"... except saying "Start,
start! Why isn't anybody dead?" My head is weird.)

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<spch7j$ht$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5364&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5364

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:49:22 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:49 UTC

On 14/12/2021 19:27, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:37:03 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>>> Never? Really? Wow.
>>> Even if I wasn't interested in the FPS genre (which would be
>>> incredibly limiting, given how every other game seems to be an FPS
>>> these days), I'd still have given a Doom a try just because of its
>>> historical relevance.
>
>> The first FPS I ever played was Half Life and that sort of set what I
>> want from an FPS so when I tried Quake II later it just felt shallow.
>
> I can see that. I can't argue the fact either; "Doom" (or the "Quake"
> games, for that matter) is a much less sophisticated game than Half
> Life. After Valve's seminal release, pretty much every FPS pivoted
> away from being "Doom-clones" to being "Half Life" clones, with much
> greater emphasis on story and atmosphere. It's only been over the last
> few years that we've seen a resurgence of "retro FPS" games and -
> aside from a few rare exceptions like "Devil Daggers" - even they
> still share as much similarity with "Half Life's" design as they do
> with "Doom".
>
> Personally, I'm much more fond of Valve's model than Id's, but I can
> still appreciate the simple and fast-paced action of "Doom", much as
> I'm quite happy to play a map or three of Pac-Man every now and again.
> I think you do yourself a disservice if you don't at least give it a
> try.

Probably as I'm and old school arcade gamer I prefer my shooters to be
what I think as an arcade game and not a PC game. So something like
Shadowgrounds is what I like.

>> Playing HL was also rather strange as I'd seen Doom played and that was
>> kinda my expectation for what an FPS is. Next thing I know I'm on a
>> train going through a complex. Another ten mins gone and I still haven't
>> got a gun nor do I have a clue what's going on.
>
> "Half Life's" introductory levels were revelatory at the time and -
> initially - quite controversial. A LOT of gamers and critics despised
> its very slow-paced opening. I first played it several months after
> its release, and by that time I was well aware that the game had this
> long, non-violent section at the start, so I went into it unsurprised
> and quickly understood that it was being used for world-building and
> to create tension for the inevitable explosion. But for those who
> jumped into the game blind - especially if they came from a background
> of Doom-clones - I can understand why those first levels must have
> been so frustrating.
>

> (In my head, I see those gamers as that kid from the Simpsons pointing
> and crying "Stop, stop, he's already dead"... except saying "Start,
> start! Why isn't anybody dead?" My head is weird.)

I went in almost completely blind as the HL demo came with, I think a
Voodoo Banshee. I put the start of it in my list of most memorable
gaming experiences. When you get to the climax of the experiment it
really was a WTF moment. Good marketing though as I went out and bought
the game.

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<spd0je$fc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5367&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5367

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:11:42 -0700
 by: rms - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:11 UTC

>28 yrs. Almost 30! ;)

Even rats are playing it now!
https://futurism.com/viktor-toth-doom-rat

rms

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<bqudnQ9Y96jdKif8nZ2dnUU7-TWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5374&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5374

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:49:20 -0600
 by: Ant - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 03:49 UTC

JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 19:27, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> >> The first FPS I ever played was Half Life and that sort of set what I
> >> want from an FPS so when I tried Quake II later it just felt shallow.
> >
> > I can see that. I can't argue the fact either; "Doom" (or the "Quake"
> > games, for that matter) is a much less sophisticated game than Half
> > Life. After Valve's seminal release, pretty much every FPS pivoted
> > away from being "Doom-clones" to being "Half Life" clones, with much
> > greater emphasis on story and atmosphere. It's only been over the last
> > few years that we've seen a resurgence of "retro FPS" games and -
> > aside from a few rare exceptions like "Devil Daggers" - even they
> > still share as much similarity with "Half Life's" design as they do
> > with "Doom".
> >
> > Personally, I'm much more fond of Valve's model than Id's, but I can
> > still appreciate the simple and fast-paced action of "Doom", much as
> > I'm quite happy to play a map or three of Pac-Man every now and again.
> > I think you do yourself a disservice if you don't at least give it a
> > try.
> >

> Probably as I'm and old school arcade gamer I prefer my shooters to be
> what I think as an arcade game and not a PC game. So something like
> Shadowgrounds is what I like.

> >> Playing HL was also rather strange as I'd seen Doom played and that was
> >> kinda my expectation for what an FPS is. Next thing I know I'm on a
> >> train going through a complex. Another ten mins gone and I still haven't
> >> got a gun nor do I have a clue what's going on.
> >
> > "Half Life's" introductory levels were revelatory at the time and -
> > initially - quite controversial. A LOT of gamers and critics despised
> > its very slow-paced opening. I first played it several months after
> > its release, and by that time I was well aware that the game had this
> > long, non-violent section at the start, so I went into it unsurprised
> > and quickly understood that it was being used for world-building and
> > to create tension for the inevitable explosion. But for those who
> > jumped into the game blind - especially if they came from a background
> > of Doom-clones - I can understand why those first levels must have
> > been so frustrating.
> >

> > (In my head, I see those gamers as that kid from the Simpsons pointing
> > and crying "Stop, stop, he's already dead"... except saying "Start,
> > start! Why isn't anybody dead?" My head is weird.)
> >

> I went in almost completely blind as the HL demo came with, I think a
> Voodoo Banshee. I put the start of it in my list of most memorable
> gaming experiences. When you get to the climax of the experiment it
> really was a WTF moment. Good marketing though as I went out and bought
> the game.

Similiar experience! :D
--
Cold & windy winter rain storm came & left a big mess! Dang coldness, colony, works, strikes, software upgrades, spams, greeds, inflations, illness, life, etc. again. :(
| |o o| |

Re: :) BD, Doom!

<bqudnQ5Y96jHKif8nZ2dnUU7-TWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid