A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Question about kernals

SubjectAuthor
* Question about kernalsNic
`* Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
 +* Re: Question about kernalsNic
 |+* Re: Question about kernalsBig Al
 ||+* Re: Question about kernalsBig Al
 |||`* Re: Question about kernalsNic
 ||| +- Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
 ||| `- Re: Question about kernalsBit Twister
 ||`* Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
 || `- Re: Question about kernalsBig Al
 |+- Re: Question about kernalsPaul
 |`* Re: Question about kernalswicklowham
 | `- Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
 `* Re: Question about kernalsNic
  +- Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  +* Re: Question about kernalsGordon
  |`* Re: Question about kernalsNic
  | +* Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
  | |`* Re: Question about kernalsNic
  | | +* Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  | | |+- Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  | | |`* Re: Question about kernalsNic
  | | | `* Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  | | |  `* Re: Question about kernalsNic
  | | |   `* Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  | | |    `- Re: Question about kernalsNic
  | | `- Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
  | `* Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  |  `* Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  |   `* Re: Question about kernalsNic
  |    `* Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  |     `* Re: Question about kernalsNic
  |      +- Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
  |      `- Re: Question about kernalsPaul
  `* Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
   `* Re: Question about kernalsBig Al
    `* Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
     `* Re: Question about kernalsMike Easter
      `* Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert
       `- Re: Question about kernalsDan Purgert

Pages:12
Re: Question about kernals

<k459jhFn2hgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5304&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5304

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Question about kernals
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:37:04 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 20:37 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I tried to upgrade from LM 19.1 to LM19.3 in order to consider the
> upgrade to LM 20, but I got a failure.

I don't understand why that should happen.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question about kernals

<OjeDL.998800$GNG9.69556@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5305&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5305

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 15:41:17 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 20:41 UTC

On 2/3/23 3:37 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> I tried to upgrade from LM 19.1 to LM19.3 in order to consider the
>> upgrade to LM 20, but I got a failure.
>
> I don't understand why that should happen.

Neither do I. I followed all the steps and the upgrade from 19.1 to 19.3
came up with some kind of error. It is my understanding that in order to
upgrade from 19 to 20, LM19.3 must be installed.

Re: Question about kernals

<k45aa9Fn5pdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5306&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5306

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:49:12 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 20:49 UTC

Nic wrote:
> Could you elaborate what  security issues would occur if a person
> continued to use LM19 past April.

No; I am not capable of predicting the security problems of LM19 in the
future; I don't even know if there are significant security issues w/
using 19.1 instead of 19.3.

I have used 'all kinds of things' Win OS, browsers, LM 17 in the past,
past their support lives. But that doesn't mean that the practice is wise.

I try to 'minimize' how much unsupported stuff I use. It seems to me
that you should be able to use LM 20 w/o too much trouble. Maybe you
should start a thread about any problems you are having getting from
19.1 to 19.3.

LM 19.1 to 19.3 is considered a 'minor' upgrade. LM 19.3 to LM 20 is
considered a major upgrade. LM 20 to 20.3 is minor.

This table shows links to the tutorials for all of those:
https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade.html

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question about kernals

<k45aj9Fn5pdU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5307&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5307

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:54:01 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 20:54 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I followed all the steps and the upgrade from 19.1 to 19.3 came up with
> some kind of error. It is my understanding that in order to upgrade from
> 19 to 20, LM19.3 must be installed.

Correct. Why don't you start a thread which contains a paste from your
error 19.1>19.3

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3838

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question about kernals

<_HeDL.447051$MVg8.160155@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5308&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5308

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:07:06 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 21:07 UTC

On 2/3/23 3:54 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> I followed all the steps and the upgrade from 19.1 to 19.3 came up
>> with some kind of error. It is my understanding that in order to
>> upgrade from 19 to 20, LM19.3 must be installed.
>
> Correct.  Why don't you start a thread which contains a paste from
> your error 19.1>19.3
>
> https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3838
>> How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3

I did not save the error information, due to me frustration that things
did not go smoothly. Perhaps I will try it again when fresh in the morning.

Re: Question about kernals

<SUeDL.557822$iU59.83016@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5309&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5309

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:20:50 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 21:20 UTC

On 2/3/23 3:49 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> Could you elaborate what  security issues would occur if a person
>> continued to use LM19 past April.
>
> No; I am not capable of predicting the security problems of LM19 in
> the future; I don't even know if there are significant security issues
> w/ using 19.1 instead of 19.3.
>
> I have used 'all kinds of things' Win OS, browsers, LM 17 in the past,
> past their support lives.  But that doesn't mean that the practice is
> wise.
>
> I try to 'minimize' how much unsupported stuff I use.  It seems to me
> that you should be able to use LM 20 w/o too much trouble. Maybe you
> should start a thread about any problems you are having getting from
> 19.1 to 19.3.
>
> LM 19.1 to 19.3 is considered a 'minor' upgrade.  LM 19.3 to LM 20 is
> considered a major upgrade.  LM 20 to 20.3 is minor.
>
> This table shows links to the tutorials for all of those:
> https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade.html
>> The table below shows the upgrade paths between the various Linux
>> Mint releases.

Maybe this is a whole lot of booga booga mysterious scare threat because
there is some little man behind the curtain that is yelling at you
saying it is unsupported.   I hear anecdotally that there are many
people who use an outdated os, look at all those holdouts who are using
windows xp and 7, and maybe there are some who still use w95. I am
reminded of an old saying 'if it is not broken, don't fix it'.

Re: Question about kernals

<k45jebFohlhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5310&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5310

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 15:24:58 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 23:24 UTC

Nic wrote:
> Maybe this is a whole lot of booga booga mysterious scare threat
> because there is some little man behind the curtain that is yelling
> at you saying it is unsupported.

The 'truth is' that it IS unsupported. The 'significance' of that
depends on whether or not it occurs that a security problem causes you harm.

> I hear anecdotally that there are many people who use an outdated os,
> look at all those holdouts who are using windows xp and 7,

That is correct. I just said that I have done that; and also some w/ LM
17.3 in the past.

> and maybe there are some who still use w95.

That is probably /less/ 'dangerous' than using such as XP and its old
browser. Browsing might be 'hard' to do w/ W95.

> I am reminded of an old saying 'if it is not broken, don't fix it'.

The problem w/ that old saw in this context is that 'we' aren't actually
smart enough to know how 'broken' any particular unsupported LM 19.1 is,
and whether or not that 'weakness' will cause us any harm or not. Or
even how to avoid the risks that its lack of security updates lead to.

The evolution of your distro is not there to cause you 'trouble' -- it
is there to help you, not hurt you.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question about kernals

<trk7al$1lc3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5311&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5311

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 19:02:29 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:02 UTC

On 2/3/2023 4:20 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 2/3/23 3:49 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Nic wrote:
>>> Could you elaborate what  security issues would occur if a person continued to use LM19 past April.
>>
>> No; I am not capable of predicting the security problems of LM19 in the future; I don't even know if there are significant security issues w/ using 19.1 instead of 19.3.
>>
>> I have used 'all kinds of things' Win OS, browsers, LM 17 in the past, past their support lives.  But that doesn't mean that the practice is wise.
>>
>> I try to 'minimize' how much unsupported stuff I use.  It seems to me that you should be able to use LM 20 w/o too much trouble. Maybe you should start a thread about any problems you are having getting from 19.1 to 19.3.
>>
>> LM 19.1 to 19.3 is considered a 'minor' upgrade.  LM 19.3 to LM 20 is considered a major upgrade.  LM 20 to 20.3 is minor.
>>
>> This table shows links to the tutorials for all of those:
>> https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade.html
>>> The table below shows the upgrade paths between the various Linux Mint releases.
>>

> Maybe this is a whole lot of booga booga mysterious scare threat because there is some little man behind the curtain that is yelling at you saying it is unsupported.   I hear anecdotally that there are many people who use an outdated os, look at all those holdouts who are using windows xp and 7, and maybe there are some who still use w95. I am reminded of an old saying 'if it is not broken, don't fix it'.

The W95 operator, has only the one program they use.
It runs a CNC machine and makes metal parts. The standards
involved, and the functions, they never change. The only thing
they have to worry about in life, is a hardware failure.

Now, take you. You want to use a web browser. The web browser
standards keep changing, and asshole web coders break web pages
on purpose, if they check your browser release and it is "too old".
You can live on your little island... as long as you never use
the Internet again :-) Neat, eh ?

First, construct your mission statement. Here's mine:

"I wanna do stuff and I wanna do stuff NOW"

OK, how do I translate that mission statement into
a series of procedures ? After doing the calculus,
this is the answer.

"This will take an upgrade"

We're pragmatic (practical) people out here. When
my plumbing breaks here, I get a wrench and I fix it.
I don't sit here and listen to the dripping, and
lament the invention of Chinese water torture.

Some of us have been through EOL distros, tried to
do private tool builds to work around them, and realized
it just wasn't worth it. I can and have built my own
Firefox, more than once. Do I look forward to that ?
Not really.

Paul

Re: Question about kernals

<slrnttrani.9h0.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5312&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5312

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:45:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:45 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question about kernals

<slrnttrap7.9h0.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5313&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5313

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:46:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:46 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question about kernals

<k45pokFpdgaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5314&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5314

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 17:12:50 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 01:12 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:

> Big Al wrote:
>> Why do your PGP sign your message posts?
>
> Force of habit; had some trolls faking being me for a bit some years
> back.

Example of an alternative strategy:

Your NSP eternal-september allows you to configure an e-s FQDN w/ your
account, which 'signature' condition can appear in your M-ID and other
lines in the e-s message header, including the Path making it
'impossible' for someone to 'forge' your messages (without being detected).

Your news agent is currently configured to stamp is own M-ID, but that
part can be easily forged by anyone w/ a free e-s account, such as using
slrn agent.

Since you use a valid email address, NSPs have historically 'enforced'
against anyone forging your email; ie e-s would kill the account of
someone forging your From email.

It is highly unlikely that anyone reading your msg/s in this group holds
your public key or uses a tool to confirm your pgp clearsigning.

I have, in the past, as a matter of 'interest', but I have since
'de-rigged' that feature of my news agent.

e-s says:
> The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:"
> SHOULD be yours (i.e. you should be entitled to use it) and SHOULD be
> valid (= should not bounce because of invalidity). Using addresses
> and name space of other people without their consent is prohibited.

(and later says it is also OK to use an .invalid)

It is pretty 'junky' when people reply to your msg and don't trim the crap.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question about kernals

<slrnttsml8.9h0.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5315&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5315

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 13:15:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 13:15 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question about kernals

<slrnttsmrn.9h0.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5316&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5316

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 13:18:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 13:18 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question about kernals

<trubru$3ruve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5343&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5343

From: wicklowh...@rfburns.eu (wicklowham)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 20:21:18 +0000
 by: wicklowham - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 20:21 UTC

On 02/02/2023 14:46, Nic wrote:
> No, it's not "the kernel" that is going EOL, but rather that the entire
> Linux Mint 19 release set (19, 19.1, 19.2, 19.3) goes EOL in April. It
> means that the version is no longer supported, and that it will no
> longer receive security updates.
>
> Best course of action is to upgrade to LM 20.
>

> I do dread that idea. I realize there is a thread active right now about
> the pitfalls/requirements of upgrading. Upgrading versus a clean
> install. I guess if I am going to upgrade I should start making a list
> of the data I want/need to backup/copy to an external drive.
========================

Suggest you do a clean install of LM21.1 (Vera) ,the latest version
,published just over a month ago .

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

Re: Question about kernals

<slrntu9ma1.9h0.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5360&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5360

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:29:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:29 UTC