"History is a tool used by politicians to justify their intentions." -- Ted Koppel

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

SubjectAuthor
* You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunAnt
+- Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunJAB
`* Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunJustisaur
 +- Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunMike S.
 `* Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunSpalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunPW
   `- Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of ShogunSpalls Hurgenson

1
You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<s20frghccqor5sfvi7a0ilr2e74s08av46@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5335&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5335

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 12:27:05 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:27 UTC

No, not another Holiday Give-away (that's a different post). This one
is for everybody, not just the swift.

GOG.com is offering "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun".
http://wwww.gog.com
(I couldn't find a direct link; just go to GOG.com and scroll down a
bit to find the offer on their front page).

You may have this one already; it's been offered for free on Steam and
Epic. I guess all the DLC is profitable enough the publishers can
sacrifice the initial sales price in hopes of hooking new fans. In
fairness, the game is quite enjoyable (even if I wasn't a fan of its
camera), so if you don't have it already, it's worth adding to the
library. It's an odd cross between a stealth-based "Commandos" clone
and an RPG, set in fantastic Edo-period Japan. The stealth is a bit
challenging but if you like games like "Desperados", you'll probably
love this game.

Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<l4OdnZQJm5hwBCr8nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5337&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5337

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 13:07:25 -0600
 by: Ant - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:07 UTC

https://www.gog.com/#giveaway

--
Incoming major (<2") winter rain storm 2 do more preparations 4 da warm nest & colony! Also, 2 many free weekend games again! :(
| |o o| |

Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<sp9v5r$e15$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5343&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5343

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:28:57 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:28 UTC

On 13/12/2021 17:27, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> No, not another Holiday Give-away (that's a different post). This one
> is for everybody, not just the swift.
>
> GOG.com is offering "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun".
> http://wwww.gog.com
> (I couldn't find a direct link; just go to GOG.com and scroll down a
> bit to find the offer on their front page).
>
> You may have this one already; it's been offered for free on Steam and
> Epic. I guess all the DLC is profitable enough the publishers can
> sacrifice the initial sales price in hopes of hooking new fans. In
> fairness, the game is quite enjoyable (even if I wasn't a fan of its
> camera), so if you don't have it already, it's worth adding to the
> library. It's an odd cross between a stealth-based "Commandos" clone
> and an RPG, set in fantastic Edo-period Japan. The stealth is a bit
> challenging but if you like games like "Desperados", you'll probably
> love this game.

I bought this when it first came out which was a bit strange in that I'd
never played any tactical stealth games before. Once I got the hang of
how everything fits together and that saving isn't 'cheating' I really
enjoyed it. It's very satisfying when you set a plan in action and it
all works or you suddenly spot the pattern of guards and how to exploit
it. Another good thing is although the levels have obviously been
designed with solutions in mind it never feels that forced.

A final note, I was expecting the characters to be annoying but I
actually quite liked them even if they are stereotypes.

Of course I also got Desperados III when it came and it was the first
big price tag game I had bought in a long time. It's more of the same
(with what feels like more polish) but no less enjoyable for it.

Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<38789c15-f2cd-4bbf-9448-ca53ca31cb2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5348&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5348

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:59:27 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:59 UTC

On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:27:15 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> No, not another Holiday Give-away (that's a different post). This one
> is for everybody, not just the swift.
>
> GOG.com is offering "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun".
> http://wwww.gog.com
> (I couldn't find a direct link; just go to GOG.com and scroll down a
> bit to find the offer on their front page).
>
> You may have this one already; it's been offered for free on Steam and
> Epic. I guess all the DLC is profitable enough the publishers can
> sacrifice the initial sales price in hopes of hooking new fans. In
> fairness, the game is quite enjoyable (even if I wasn't a fan of its
> camera), so if you don't have it already, it's worth adding to the
> library. It's an odd cross between a stealth-based "Commandos" clone
> and an RPG, set in fantastic Edo-period Japan. The stealth is a bit
> challenging but if you like games like "Desperados", you'll probably
> love this game.

Apparently it's only the demo for free, unless it was only yesterday.
Either way it worked. I saw two games that were on my wishlist
on deep discount that I picked up.

Wasteland Remastered
Balder's Gate II: Enhanced edition.
Both under $4.

- Justisaur

Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<hakhrgd43dujfvsmt0j6dufcjfa2qt20ho@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5350&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5350

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:18:07 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:18 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:59:27 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>Wasteland Remastered
>Balder's Gate II: Enhanced edition.
>Both under $4.
>
>- Justisaur

Very good prices.

GOG once sent me an email with an offer for both BG1 EE and BG2 EE for
$3 each which I took them up on. I paid more then you did for
Wasteland Remastered though.

Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<l3shrgpls89n0fs1uoe9dmt09k1adhp229@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5353&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5353

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:39:03 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:39 UTC

<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:27:15 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> GOG.com is offering "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun".
>> http://wwww.gog.com

>Apparently it's only the demo for free, unless it was only yesterday.
>Either way it worked. I saw two games that were on my wishlist
>on deep discount that I picked up.

GOG's giveaways are annoying; you have to follow the exact link from
their front page. If you go to the page specific to the game, you'll
see it only available for its full price. This is opposed to pretty
much every other digital storefront, where if you go to the game's
page during a give-away, you'll get it for free there too.

As of this post, GOG is still offering the full game for free for
another 18 hours. Don't search for the game, go to https://www.gog.com
and scroll down the page to find the give-away.

I love GOG, but when it comes to marketing and communications, they
really need to up their game. It's little things like the above that
drive away customers.

(Another is their emails: I occasionally get an email from GOG that
says "Hey, if you use this promo code, you can get this game at a 20%
discount!" Except the email doesn't actually tell you what the game's
price is, and the only way to discover it is to follow the link to the
webpage... at which point the promo code is marked "used", so if you
don't buy the game immediately, you lose out on the promotion. Just
another of their really stupid marketing decisions by an otherwise
smart company).

Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<besirgdsigiejmemvkegq0g08269anairi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5360&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5360

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:42:34 -0700
 by: PW - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 04:42 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:39:03 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:59:27 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
><justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:27:15 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>> GOG.com is offering "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun".
>>> http://wwww.gog.com
>
>>Apparently it's only the demo for free, unless it was only yesterday.
>>Either way it worked. I saw two games that were on my wishlist
>>on deep discount that I picked up.
>
>GOG's giveaways are annoying; you have to follow the exact link from
>their front page. If you go to the page specific to the game, you'll
>see it only available for its full price. This is opposed to pretty
>much every other digital storefront, where if you go to the game's
>page during a give-away, you'll get it for free there too.

GOGs interface is very annoying. Trying to find something to buy is a
PITB. The search feature, as far as I am concerned, might as well be
non-existant.

Nothing like Steam's. I have no idea what their problem is.

-pw

Re: You-No-Pay Game - Shadow Tactics: Blades of Shogun

<pj4krgtgqhbd59vlsdsfv14nj4jkn76ik4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5369&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5369

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:12:36 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:12 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:42:34 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:39:03 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:59:27 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
>><justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Apparently it's only the demo for free, unless it was only yesterday.
>>>Either way it worked. I saw two games that were on my wishlist
>>>on deep discount that I picked up.
>>
>>GOG's giveaways are annoying; you have to follow the exact link from
>>their front page. If you go to the page specific to the game, you'll
>>see it only available for its full price. This is opposed to pretty
>>much every other digital storefront, where if you go to the game's
>>page during a give-away, you'll get it for free there too.

>GOGs interface is very annoying. Trying to find something to buy is a
>PITB. The search feature, as far as I am concerned, might as well be
>non-existant.

>Nothing like Steam's. I have no idea what their problem is.

The search always worked well enough for me, but maybe I only search
for 'obvious' games. I'm also not a 'browser' when I shop; if I want
to buy, I usually know exactly what I want and go right there, and
GOG's interface works well enough in that regard (actually, for this
sort of shopping I find Steam slightly inferior because it is so much
more cluttered). My main objection to the search on GOG's website is
that it's almost invisible - a tiny magnifying glass icon in the
upper right icon - and in the rare instances I use it, I always
struggle (briefly) to find it.

Steam's search feature is definitely more powerful (it has
autocomplete and recommendations, ability to narrow down search) but
it would have to be, given how much crap is in their store.