From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free! Gratis! Complimentary! Game - Shenmue 3
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:05:21 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:05 UTC

It's Thursday, you I guess we all know what we gotta do. That's right,
head on over to Epic Games and dutifully collect another free game.
Work, work, work.

This week on Epic:

Shenmue III
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shenmue-3

I have such mixed feelings about Shenmue. From a technical and
artistic angle, I adore it. Its detailed recreation of a tiny Japanese
town was so incredible when the game was first released way back in
'99; there really wasn't anything like it at the time (and, even
today, it's quite impressive). There were just so many details
lovingly added to the game that you couldn't help but be impressed,
and its sequels carried on that tradition. The worlds of the "Shenmue"
games feel amazingly real, and wandering about exploring those worlds
is a joy.

But the gameplay... that I could do without. At best it's an unfocused
mix of combat and exploration (and forklifts); at worst, it's a
tedious grind with atrocious controls. To some degree, I understand
the grind; it's a continuation of the rest of the game's
verisimilitude, recreating the more unexciting parts of life. But I
play games to escape that sort of thing. "Shenmue III" follows the
tradition of its predecessors closely, for better or worse ignoring
the two decades of developments in the industry that separate it from
"Shenmue II". Who needs quality-of-life considerations like being able
to skip dialogue or quests that pointlessly make you jog across the
entire map or even a satisfying ending? That's not the Shenmue way.

Still, "Shenmue 3" does recapture the artistry and style of the first
games, and while the combat system isn't as fluid as you'd find in a
'proper' brawler, it isn't exactly unsatisfying. You can have fun with
it; it's just that it could be better. But then, would it really be a
"Shenmue" game?

Anyway, it's free on Epic. It's just the standard edition, which lacks
the various DLC expansions (which I've never played, so whether they
greatly improve the game or not I can't say), but that's okay; you
still get a good chunk of gameplay with just the base game. I don't
know if I'd recommend "Shenmue III" to people who haven't played the
first two games but on the other hand, it's probably the sort of game
that deserves a place in your library just for its historical
relevance. Get it definitely, play it maybe.

Re: Free! Gratis! Complimentary! Game - Shenmue 3

<WaadnfDrfIE2GSb8nZ2dnUU7-TPNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5385&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5385

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Free! Gratis! Complimentary! Game - Shenmue 3
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:25:47 -0600
 by: Ant - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 18:25 UTC

Thanks. I have never even heard of this series.

--
Cold & windy winter rain storm came & left a big mess! Dang coldness, colony, works, strikes, software upgrades, spams, greeds, inflations, illness, life, etc. again. :(
| |o o| |