Scientists will study your brain to learn more about your distant cousin, Man.

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: External USB3 Drive

SubjectAuthor
* External USB3 DriveSC Tom
+* Re: External USB3 DrivePaul
|`* Re: External USB3 DriveSC Tom
| `* Re: External USB3 Driveknuttle
|  +- Re: External USB3 DrivePaul
|  `- Re: External USB3 DriveSC Tom
`* Re: External USB3 Drive...winston
 `* Re: External USB3 DriveSC Tom
  +- Re: External USB3 Drive...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
  `- Re: External USB3 Drive...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
External USB3 Drive

<slolpf$1ii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=515&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#515

From: sc...@tom.net (SC Tom)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: External USB3 Drive
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 08:15:39 -0400
 by: SC Tom - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 12:15 UTC

I have a new system, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASRock B550M-C MB, GeForce GTX 1660
video card, 16GB RAM, a 1TB SSD for my C: drive, and a 2GB HDD for my other
drive. It's a UEFI MB. Not totally familiar since my old one was EFI (not
real sure what the difference is), and my old laptop is plain old
run-of-the-mill BIOS. All are running Win10Pro x64.

I have an external USB3 drive (3TB HDD in a Nextar housing) that I use for
my disk imaging and back-ups. I use ATI2021, booting from the DVD and
creating my images on the external. It has worked well for me for a number
of years, starting with ATI Home 2010. I can create an image of my C: drive
in ~15 minutes.
With the new set-up, it takes almost an hour to create the same sized image.
Not a real problem, but I would have thought a newer faster system would do
it in about the same time as the old system, but hey, what can you do?

The real problem I'm having is that when I connect the external drive,
Windows sees it as a USB 3 Storage Device in Devices, but it won't show as a
drive in This PC. I've tried both the USB3 and USB2 ports. Works fine
connecting it to the laptop, but not my desktop, which also has USB3 and
USB2 ports.
Any hints or clues would be deeply appreciated. I've tried updating my
drivers, but everything says the "best driver is already installed."

(Not sure if it's a Win10 problem or hardware, hence the cross-post.)

TIA!
--

SC Tom

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slop75$16ab$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=523&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#523

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: External USB3 Drive
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 09:14:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 13:14 UTC

On 11/1/2021 8:15 AM, SC Tom wrote:
> I have a new system, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASRock B550M-C MB, GeForce GTX 1660 video card, 16GB RAM, a 1TB SSD for my C: drive, and a 2GB HDD for my other drive. It's a UEFI MB. Not totally familiar since my old one was EFI (not real sure what the difference is), and my old laptop is plain old run-of-the-mill BIOS. All are running Win10Pro x64.
>
> I have an external USB3 drive (3TB HDD in a Nextar housing) that I use for my disk imaging and back-ups. I use ATI2021, booting from the DVD and creating my images on the external. It has worked well for me for a number of years, starting with ATI Home 2010. I can create an image of my C: drive in ~15 minutes.
> With the new set-up, it takes almost an hour to create the same sized image. Not a real problem, but I would have thought a newer faster system would do it in about the same time as the old system, but hey, what can you do?
>
> The real problem I'm having is that when I connect the external drive, Windows sees it as a USB 3 Storage Device in Devices, but it won't show as a drive in This PC. I've tried both the USB3 and USB2 ports. Works fine connecting it to the laptop, but not my desktop, which also has USB3 and USB2 ports.
> Any hints or clues would be deeply appreciated. I've tried updating my drivers, but everything says the "best driver is already installed."
>
> (Not sure if it's a Win10 problem or hardware, hence the cross-post.)
>
> TIA!

Right-click Start, select Disk Management (aka diskmgmt.msc),
look at the partitions on the USB3 drive near the end of the
Disk Management table.

The partitions will be sitting there, with no drive letters assigned.
Use the "Change drive letter" thing, to assign a drive letter to
each partition you wish to view.

But generally speaking, your backup software (installed on OS)
also needs a drive letter, for the "destination" of your backup.

If you booted the CD/DVD of the backup software, then that
probably explains it. The automatic assignment of letters
is likely working in the WinPE environment, but failing to
do so in the regular OS session.

I don't think I've seen this behavior, nearly as much as I've
seen it in the last three months or so. I've been doing a *lot*
of letter assignment manually.

The first time it happened, I was puzzled. And only eventually
did I open Disk Management, and there I could put 2+2 together
and get on with it.

*******

USB sticks had the peculiar behavior, of only the first
Windows file system would mount. USB sticks didn't seem to
have the other partitions working in Windows. You could take
the same USB stick to Linux, and all N partitions would mount.

There was a claim that Windows 10 would soon mimic what Linux was
doing, and finally, attempt to mount more than the one
partition on the USB stick (if such was technically possible).

USB hard drives are different, as the RMB bit indicates they
are fixed media, and all four partitions can mount on them.
(Even if the OS "forgets" to automatically assign drive letters!)

I think there was even mention, that some day EXT would mount
too, but I think that was some sort of joke.

Anyway, on with the Change Drive Letter thing...

The only other possibility that comes to mind, is in the
left hand square of a row in Disk Management, it can say
"Offline". You can't do much of anything when that happens,
and then you have to figure out how the disk identifiers
are colliding with some already-mounted item. That sort of
thing happens during "dd" clones (you've made two items
which are too identical to each other). It can also happen when
Macrium uses TXF transactional NTFS, which supports
atomic (single bit update of file table) NTFS transactions.
Why it would use such a thing, is a puzzle. But one user
could not dismount a backup drive, unless it was set to
Offline first, then Safely Remove would work. That really
should not have happened. Once Macrium exited, no "hold"
should be exerted on a drive letter. That's what did not
make sense.

Paul

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slordb$cn7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=524&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#524

From: sc...@tom.net (SC Tom)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 09:51:35 -0400
 by: SC Tom - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 13:51 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Anyway, on with the Change Drive Letter thing...
>
> The only other possibility that comes to mind, is in the
> left hand square of a row in Disk Management, it can say
> "Offline". You can't do much of anything when that happens,
> and then you have to figure out how the disk identifiers
> are colliding with some already-mounted item. That sort of
> thing happens during "dd" clones (you've made two items
> which are too identical to each other). It can also happen when
> Macrium uses TXF transactional NTFS, which supports
> atomic (single bit update of file table) NTFS transactions.
> Why it would use such a thing, is a puzzle. But one user
> could not dismount a backup drive, unless it was set to
> Offline first, then Safely Remove would work. That really
> should not have happened. Once Macrium exited, no "hold"
> should be exerted on a drive letter. That's what did not

Bingo! Assigning a drive letter did it :-)
I think you're right about ATI assigning it's own letter. I've noticed
before that the backup drive would have a different letter each time I did a
backup, but it wouldn't be the same in This PC. I find it strange that my
other PC's see it just fine without assigning it a Windows letter, but this
one doesn't. Go figure.
Luckily, it was not listed as "offline" in Disk Management. All is well now.
The only reason I needed to access the drive through Windows was to delete
the older images. I usually save 3-4 recent ones, just in case, or an
off-schedule one that was done before doing a major software or hardware
update.

Once again you've saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Thanks for being
here when we need you :-)
--

SC Tom

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slpamm$4bq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=525&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#525

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:12:36 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 18:12 UTC

On 11/1/2021 9:51 AM, SC Tom wrote:

> [...]
>> make sense.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Bingo! Assigning a drive letter did it :-)
> I think you're right about ATI assigning it's own letter. I've noticed
> before that the backup drive would have a different letter each time I
> did a backup, but it wouldn't be the same in This PC. I find it strange
> that my other PC's see it just fine without assigning it a Windows
> letter, but this one doesn't. Go figure.
> Luckily, it was not listed as "offline" in Disk Management. All is well
> now. The only reason I needed to access the drive through Windows was to
> delete the older images. I usually save 3-4 recent ones, just in case,
> or an off-schedule one that was done before doing a major software or
> hardware update.
>
> Once again you've saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Thanks for
Whenever I have added a new external drive or USB storage device to my
computer, I started the computer, when the desktop came up, I plugged
the device into the USB port and the OS contacted the drive and
established a letter for the drive. I think though never investigated
it that the OS takes the id of the drive and associates it with that
drive letter.

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slpf9d$7kk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=526&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#526

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 15:30:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 19:30 UTC

On 11/1/2021 2:12 PM, knuttle wrote:

> Whenever I have added a new external drive or USB storage device to my computer, I started the computer, when the desktop came up, I plugged the device into the USB port and the OS contacted the drive and established a letter for the drive.   I think though never investigated it that the OS takes the id of the drive and associates it with that drive letter.

Try starting a Command Prompt window, then run

mountvol

and you will see all the partitions with drive letters
currently mounted.

The registry contains the same data, in an area
that goes by the same name of "mountvol". The executable
utility program, just makes it easier to get to the
table of data.

And the information is not particularly useful. While you
can feed a \\volume namespace item to CHKDSK, it's just
as easy to use the drive letter. I don't think you
can lose a drive letter, and still have a valid
\\volume identifier. At one time, I thought the \\volume
string might be useful, but it really isn't. if the drive
letter disappears, so does the \\volume, at the same
instant. Drives without letters, remain "invisible", as
if they'd been unmounted.

Paul

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slpotu$fjb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=527&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#527

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 15:15:21 -0700
 by: ...winston - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 22:15 UTC

If yours now takes an hour, what partitions are being included in your
imaging in ATI2121?

With respect to ATI2021 at this end.
W10 Pro x64 and ATI2021 perpetual(i.e. not subscription version) with a 1TB
SSD and 4TB internal HDD and a 2 TB external WP Passport(USB 3.1 using USB C
connection)
All disks are GPT partitioned since device is UEFI.
The 1TB SSD(partitions noted below), the 4TB(one single partition)
System - 100 MB partition
MSR 16MB partition
Windows partition 949 GB total, 87 GB used[1]
Recovery Partition 1 GB (500 MB is normal and by design, the 1 TB drive
partitioning was done with a script for Diskpart, thus the 1GB Recovery*)
* The 1GB Recovery prevents Windows from carving out space from the left
adjacent C: drive(Windows partition)

With ATI2021(also 2019 and 2017 before, upgrade ATI every 2 yrs using the
option for 3 devices) I image using the select partition option imaging the
System, Windows and Recovery partitions. The imaging is done twice, two
different backup names (W10P_YYMMDD_Int, W10PYYMMdd_Ext) one to a folder on
the internal, the other to a folder on the external.

Imaging those 3 partitions with validation/verify image on ATI2021 takes
about 14 minutes saving to the external, and 19 minutes on the external
Note: All my data(files, office docs, music, pictures is on the 4TB
drive(don't use ATI, just copy the folders to the 2TB external - about 300GB
total).

[1]Software installed - W10Pro, Microsoft 365, iTunes, Acrobat Reader 2020
Classic, Belarc, CCleaner, Chrome, EdgeCr, Irfanview, Revo, SeaMonkey,
Skype, Windows Essentials 2012, Zoom, MSFT Teams.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

"SC Tom" wrote in message news:slolpf$1ii$1@dont-email.me...

[...]

<slq8g9$nvh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=528&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#528

From: sc...@tom.net (SC Tom)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 22:41:11 -0400
 by: SC Tom - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 02:41 UTC

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If yours now takes an hour, what partitions are being included in your
> imaging in ATI2121?
>
> With respect to ATI2021 at this end.
> W10 Pro x64 and ATI2021 perpetual(i.e. not subscription version) with a
> 1TB SSD and 4TB internal HDD and a 2 TB external WP Passport(USB 3.1 using
> USB C connection)
> All disks are GPT partitioned since device is UEFI.
> The 1TB SSD(partitions noted below), the 4TB(one single partition)
> System - 100 MB partition
> MSR 16MB partition
> Windows partition 949 GB total, 87 GB used[1]
> Recovery Partition 1 GB (500 MB is normal and by design, the 1 TB drive
> partitioning was done with a script for Diskpart, thus the 1GB Recovery*)
> * The 1GB Recovery prevents Windows from carving out space from the left
> adjacent C: drive(Windows partition)
>
> With ATI2021(also 2019 and 2017 before, upgrade ATI every 2 yrs using the
> option for 3 devices) I image using the select partition option imaging
> the System, Windows and Recovery partitions. The imaging is done twice,
> two different backup names (W10P_YYMMDD_Int, W10PYYMMdd_Ext) one to a
> folder on the internal, the other to a folder on the external.
>
> Imaging those 3 partitions with validation/verify image on ATI2021 takes
> about 14 minutes saving to the external, and 19 minutes on the external
> Note: All my data(files, office docs, music, pictures is on the 4TB
> drive(don't use ATI, just copy the folders to the 2TB external - about
> 300GB total).
>
> [1]Software installed - W10Pro, Microsoft 365, iTunes, Acrobat Reader 2020
> Classic, Belarc, CCleaner, Chrome, EdgeCr, Irfanview, Revo, SeaMonkey,
> Skype, Windows Essentials 2012, Zoom, MSFT Teams.
>
> --
> ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Do you have ATI installed, or run it from the DVD?
Up until this setup, I have always booted to the DVD and ran the back-ups
from that menu. On my old system, it took 15 minutes max to back up my C:
drive (837GB Total size, 121GB used), which also contains the I: System
partition (333MB, 31.5MB used). I could get up in the morning, boot to DVD,
start the back-up, go fix a pot of coffee, raise my blinds, feed the cat,
get my coffee, and by the time I get back to my PC, the back-up is done or
just finishing up. With this new faster (?) system, it took 50 minutes to
complete the same drive. I'm thinking about installing it just to see how
long that way takes to finish.
--

SC Tom

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slq9bl$ud1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=529&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#529

From: sc...@tom.net (SC Tom)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 22:55:46 -0400
 by: SC Tom - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 02:55 UTC

"knuttle" <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> letter, but this one doesn't. Go figure.
>> Luckily, it was not listed as "offline" in Disk Management. All is well
>> now. The only reason I needed to access the drive through Windows was to
>> delete the older images. I usually save 3-4 recent ones, just in case, or
>> an off-schedule one that was done before doing a major software or
>> hardware update.
>>
>> Once again you've saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Thanks for
>> being here when we need you :-)

> Whenever I have added a new external drive or USB storage device to my
> computer, I started the computer, when the desktop came up, I plugged the
> device into the USB port and the OS contacted the drive and established a
> letter for the drive. I think though never investigated it that the OS
> takes the id of the drive and associates it with that drive letter.

Used to work that way for me, too. A USB stick will work for me, showing a
drive letter, but for some odd reason, this current system won't see an
external hard drive unless I assign it a drive letter like Paul explained. I
have a few USB cradles (accrued over the years), some USB3 and one USB2. I
tried them all with different drives from my stack, and none of the drives
were recognized in any of the cradles except as a USB device.. I have the
USB icon in the system tray, but all it shows is "USB3 Device."
--

SC Tom

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slt6r3$fvo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=539&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#539

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 22:31:14 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 05:31 UTC

SC Tom wrote:

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If yours now takes an hour, what partitions are being included in your
>> imaging in ATI2121?
>>
>> With respect to ATI2021 at this end.
>> W10 Pro x64 and ATI2021 perpetual(i.e. not subscription version) with
>> a 1TB SSD and 4TB internal HDD and a 2 TB external WP Passport(USB 3.1
>> using USB C connection)
>> All disks are GPT partitioned since device is UEFI.
>> The 1TB SSD(partitions noted below), the 4TB(one single partition)
>> System - 100 MB partition
>> MSR 16MB partition
>> Windows partition 949 GB total, 87 GB used[1]
>> Recovery Partition 1 GB (500 MB is normal and by design, the 1 TB
>> drive partitioning was done with a script for Diskpart, thus the 1GB
>> Recovery*)
>> * The 1GB Recovery prevents Windows from carving out space from the
>> left adjacent C: drive(Windows partition)
>>
>> With ATI2021(also 2019 and 2017 before, upgrade ATI every 2 yrs using
>> the option for 3 devices) I image using the select partition option
>> imaging the System, Windows and Recovery partitions. The imaging is
>> done twice, two different backup names (W10P_YYMMDD_Int,
>> W10PYYMMdd_Ext) one to a folder on the internal, the other to a folder
>> on the external.
>>
>> Imaging those 3 partitions with validation/verify image on ATI2021
>> takes about 14 minutes saving to the internal, and 19 minutes on the
>> external
>> Note: All my data(files, office docs, music, pictures is on the 4TB
>> drive(don't use ATI, just copy the folders to the 2TB external - about
>> 300GB total).
>>
>> [1]Software installed - W10Pro, Microsoft 365, iTunes, Acrobat Reader
>> 2020 Classic, Belarc, CCleaner, Chrome, EdgeCr, Irfanview, Revo,
>> SeaMonkey, Skype, Windows Essentials 2012, Zoom, MSFT Teams.
>>

> Do you have ATI installed, or run it from the DVD?
> Up until this setup, I have always booted to the DVD and ran the
> back-ups from that menu. On my old system, it took 15 minutes max to
> back up my C: drive (837GB Total size, 121GB used), which also contains
> the I: System partition (333MB, 31.5MB used). I could get up in the
> morning, boot to DVD, start the back-up, go fix a pot of coffee, raise
> my blinds, feed the cat, get my coffee, and by the time I get back to my
> PC, the back-up is done or just finishing up. With this new faster (?)
> system, it took 50 minutes to complete the same drive. I'm thinking
> about installing it just to see how long that way takes to finish.

ATI is installed and was used for the previous mentioned image plus
validation of imagem(internal drive 14 min, external drive 19 min)

For comparison I booted my ATI USB created recovery media.
From that ATI boot media interface/UI I imaged the main drive to the
internal HD and also included the validate image operation since that
was also selected in my earlier 14 minute image creation using ATI
desktop software
The boot media route did take a shade just shy of 22 minutes instead of
14 minu.
- The validation check was responsible for about 7 minutes of the
total 22 min.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: External USB3 Drive

<slt7da$i4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=540&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#540

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 22:40:57 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 05:40 UTC

SC Tom wrote:

> Do you have ATI installed, or run it from the DVD?
> Up until this setup, I have always booted to the DVD and ran the
> back-ups from that menu. On my old system, it took 15 minutes max to
> back up my C: drive (837GB Total size, 121GB used), which also contains
> the I: System partition (333MB, 31.5MB used).
On rereading your post, while my image C drive is about 33% smaller than
yours, thus less to image, there is, probably not significant but my
System partition is on the same disk(i.e. partitions for System, MSR,
Windows and Recovery are on the same disk. The System does not have an
assigned drive letter). The images I created are on different disks(not
drives).

--
msft mvp 2007-2020