From: sim...@redhat.com (Simo Sorce)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.kerberos
Subject: Re: honoring the TRUSTED_FOR_DELEGATION KDC MS-SFU Kerberos
Protocol Extensions flag?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:46:25 -0400
To: James Ralston <ralston@pobox.com>, kerberos@mit.edu
DKIM-Filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 unknown-host (unknown-jobid)
dkim=pass (1024-bit key, unprotected) header.d=mitprod.onmicrosoft.com
header.i=@mitprod.onmicrosoft.com header.a=rsa-sha256
header.s=selector2-mitprod-onmicrosoft-com header.b=F6icIQ0s;
dkim=pass (1024-bit key,
unprotected) header.d=redhat.com header.i=@redhat.com header.a=rsa-sha256
header.s=mimecast20190719 header.b=Wkgazx8A
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
b=g9QiFk3YanQJVcUf+Rm8RxBTs4x2/rsCDzLIs/VWjKsPihrd2g8I/HPDk7KYA8rkeEuaJ0I28N1JLS6ZAGWR97FhT0VdSKnZSAbW5/DlFJFUhloNsyzqDcZ8gHFJT6VaqqyPqBThlWwOElkCZbS4WnRiRcBXqdprruGXAlotJtwbfpWtGL5II46uREYsbDNhGXo5uODlhXpdJBCSStyv/jmC6qY1GYEutnh2+8Ad10PBsWyezQVJDYmLbTIJ+zs0Y7ZZDKh0jsbSlc271O7KOAebwVe58yLivJq89Z3mA/lD50t+GBt9aXMPK2MH3BcY5dIrnfNZp3jwvfUnXV4aIg==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
s=arcselector9901;
h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1;
bh=3PQieWV0LJlvVeQCv85fBpfS9TUloKbb2+JrmpQ9inw=;
b=VR6CymV7ODxMt8kqZDjcAxXf5pQirF3ZFQwfCu0fY286GQdfMNbCeLEDW22t9ltI3Ylrb2ShE1WSKDOMKhpvc5kOVlbP2E4wxIH3oLoitgXzNgckhiVnZVKp8iAdqae3xl4RAMXifxyYhAgBkpqYph8o78ZLxAsUNDrfhB2jkwpMiZtiPXyFpyiZ3GZlMHge1hcfzYFJXpW9GeT886tbLvtXgm60GcUHU6xXVyeVRitPKp/tPlp2WsnluM+38xMmOPfQA+DluR5Ya6bGpm3KPcwqkNS9lCaWhKmQhX/0O71PgbclccfAmXzLPQBKJoRS3kcbjg+/rk5BPvF9o8bA8A==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass (sender ip is
170.10.133.124) smtp.rcpttodomain=mit.edu smtp.mailfrom=redhat.com;
dmarc=pass (p=none sp=none pct=100) action=none header.from=redhat.com;
dkim=pass (signature was verified) header.d=redhat.com; arc=none (0)
s=mimecast20190719; t=1713289588;
h=from:from:reply-to:subject:subject:date:date:message-id:message-id:
to:to:cc:mime-version:mime-version:content-type:content-type:
content-transfer-encoding:content-transfer-encoding:
in-reply-to:in-reply-to:references:references;
bh=3PQieWV0LJlvVeQCv85fBpfS9TUloKbb2+JrmpQ9inw=;
b=Wkgazx8AeaV+ggAZA6StF3P1jzUpuP5jKG2jkZa25Z4LJM0bu58FE5vOWtAnR0bUalicEM
d0hYddTSfTyHOFtftGP5RAAoVuZbvpS0+qFYpmiHWwvJ4V8WbyXOxLpCdXgGWfNWoZGUYe
CbVqX5favs5U2naN+pkOgjqGpKlDAa8=
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1713289586; x=1713894386;
h=mime-version:user-agent:content-transfer-encoding:organization
:references:in-reply-to:date:to:from:subject:message-id
:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=3PQieWV0LJlvVeQCv85fBpfS9TUloKbb2+JrmpQ9inw=;
b=i8Z8zyucRuqAT5f/ShbQQSKnwBfowCJxn5LkmtYd7c02ri4U2mGnZpWKoxvv5rTp/3
SI6JV+oH1/vmcUjqBeI0Mw+xL2HgQLNw+C3EyGRytj36Pozf8KIwwxyvMrA6TzeZgvGQ
eKREesI6w0tQG1gU6l4zqgcRFZph2WicXrkK1MyX81U260ZIQKATW/R2CkkklFGopCoP
/piRMW+QYRE9wk8tyv6gcMQ0P4otJ4PYoqrav7D/pPPL80bM9KwwNOPj+47yStZoL3Bi
iVbitSaH8ewuCrOxdr8Htt2p2UJDrktxbqjdr0Ou88t9ZyVvzLd4KP1aniMZGkK4hSPz
qR7A==
X-Microsoft-Antispam-Message-Info: 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
 by: Simo Sorce - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:46 UTC

The correct action is for you to ask the Domain Administrators to mark
the target hosts as ok for delegation, it is unclear why MIT Kerberos
should make it easy to override Realm policies.

Delegating a whole TGT is generally a bad idea, and often clients are
misconfigured to broadly forward it everywhere. That is why Microsoft
took back control in the hands of administrators. It is not a bad
thing, and if your setup has been vetted such that TGT delegation is an
acceptable risk, then it should be easy to get it fixed the proper way,
by getting your domain admins to set the right flag on the permitted
target hosts.

Note that if ticket delegation is needed solely to allow jumping from
hosts to host, you should be able to achieve the same result via agent
forwarding, it would be a safer option.

But all that said I would like to note that it is certainly
inappropriate to call people names before fully understanding the scope
of a security measure, just because it is a little inconvenient.

If you wanted a knob like the one you ask for it should probably be
called:
dishonor_trusted_for_delegation_mr_auditor_please_be_lenient

As for users that type their passwords onto random hosts, that is a
user education problem in general, but that can be addressed simply by
forcing the use of 2FA authentication on the user's part, preferably
via a hardware token and pkinit, but an OTP solution would work as
well.

Cheers,
Simo.

Simo Sorce