From: Min...@AIOENEWSGROUP.COM (Minnie)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Firefox And Passwords
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 23:58:38 -0800
 by: Minnie - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 07:58 UTC

Win 7 Pro
Firefox 107

Privacy and Security
Logins and Passwords
[v] Ask to save logins and passwords for websites
all sub [v] are checked.

No primary password.

It does NOT work.
Signed in at several websites that I have done on a different Win 7 Pro
PCs and all ask to save.

This PC Firefox does not. no little window opens with data to dave.

What is up ?

Thanks.

Re: Firefox And Passwords

<tli1hl$27u6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5412&group=alt.windows7.general#5412

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Firefox And Passwords
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 03:33:58 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 08:33 UTC

On 11/22/2022 2:58 AM, Minnie wrote:
> Win 7 Pro
> Firefox 107
>
> Privacy and Security
>    Logins and Passwords
>       [v] Ask to save logins and passwords for websites
> all sub [v] are checked.
>
> No primary password.
>

> It does NOT work.
> Signed in at several websites that I have done on a different Win 7 Pro PCs and all ask to save.
>
> This PC Firefox does not.   no little window opens with data to dave.
>

> What is up ?
>
> Thanks.

Some reasons it won't work - at the bottom of the article.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/usernames-and-passwords-are-not-saved

- You may have Password Manager software
- Some graphics driver versions may have problems to display prompts. [Rly???]
- Some websites do not allow for passwords to be saved for security reasons.

I would think the first one, to be the most likely. Maybe you
have Keepass or something.

While you could be running the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
for a video card driver, that probably has an OpenGL [software]
emulation stack, so it should still be able to display Firefox windows.
The "about:support" shows you some details about what parts of
the stack are working.

Paul

Re: Firefox And Passwords

<1rmaq0zpvv6yf$.uyyjq9ipjcv7.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5413&group=alt.windows7.general#5413

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 16:45:38 +0700
 by: JJ - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:45 UTC

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 03:33:58 -0500, Paul wrote:

> - Some websites do not allow for passwords to be saved for security reasons.

Or are just badly designed JS driven site, where they use roundabout method
for the login form which is confusing enough for the web browser's login
form detection code to recognize it as a login form. There are such sites.
I've seen them.

Re: Firefox And Passwords

<1pd0yaxnkcy0t$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5414&group=alt.windows7.general#5414

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 11:21:49 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 17:21 UTC

Minnie <Minnie@AIOENEWSGROUP.COM> wrote:

> Win 7 Pro
> Firefox 107
>
> Privacy and Security
> Logins and Passwords
> [v] Ask to save logins and passwords for websites
> all sub [v] are checked.
>
> No primary password.
>
> It does NOT work.
> Signed in at several websites that I have done on a different Win 7 Pro
> PCs and all ask to save.
>
> This PC Firefox does not. no little window opens with data to dave.

At all sites, or just some sites? The login fields you see have to be
recognizable to Firefox, and some site almost seem deliberately coded to
hide which elements in the web page are input fields for login
credentials. While Firefox can sometimes catch logins that span 2 pages
(username on one page, loads another page for password), it won't always
catch the separation. Login fields might be scripted elements, so they
don't look like normal HTML input elements. Just because there is an
input element in the web page doesn't make it a login field, so labels
or other hints are used to guess which input elements are for login, but
a site can get so esoteric in naming the element that the web browser
cannot tell a particular input element is a login field. Some sites are
coded badly. Some sites are deliberately obtuse. Some sites are
heavily scripted.

Also, it may take a bit more work on your part than just wait for
Firefox to enter the login strings into what it thinks are login fields.
I've had to click in the username and password fields for Firefox to
realize it should pre-fill those fields. I've had to click in a field
to get a drop-down list of entries from which to select (just 1 if only
1 login has been used at this site). I've had to right-click to get a
list of login candidates for the field. Sometimes the clicking shows a
list, sometimes I get a cascaded menu where the first level is "Logins",
and the submenu is where are the candidates. Depends on how the login
field you see is actually defined in the web page.

I have a login at Hy-Vee, a grocery store. While Firefox can pre-fill
the login fields, the web form won't accept them. The page is scripted
looking for input events: it expects me to use the keyboard to enter the
login credentials despite Firefox has already pre-filled the login
fields. I have to click in the username field, backspace over the last
character, reenter it, click Show button on the password field,
backspace over the last character, reenter it, and then click the Login
button. They want users keyboarding in the login credentials. Don't
know why they don't trust web browsers pre-filling the fields. This is
a recent change, so I expect the web designer discovered he could
require keyboard input, so he just had to use it. I don't have to
remember the login strings, but I have to do more work to get them
accepted by the web page.

You save no popup appears when the login fields appear. Could be
Firefox does not recognize those are input fields for login strings
which could be caused by the above. However, it also could mean that
passwords have already been saved for the site. If there is a saved
password, Firefox won't prompt to save, because it already has. Did you
check Firefox's password manager to see if you have passwords (plural
because you could have more than 1) for the site? Look at the domain in
the address bar when the login fields appear to determine at whic domain
the passwords are entered. You might connect to their home page at one
domain, but the login page is at a different domain. While the password
manager has a search box to locate saved logins, sometimes I have to
scroll the left pane to find under which host/domain the password got
saved.

If the password cache got corrupted, you might have to clear it and
start over with saving passwords. I'd first remove a password saved for
just the site where you don't see the save prompt. There's a password
saved for there, so you don't get prompted to save, but you will after
you delete all passwords saved for that site. I don't see an option to
clear all saved passwords, just one at a time. To delete all at once,
you'd probably have to reset Firefox to create a new profile.

According to:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

passwords are saved inside 2 files: key4.db and logins.json. Since JSON
files are text files, I suspect the login strings are stored encrypted
inside the DB file. However, strings in the JSON file can also be
encrypted, but the data structure within is text, just like XML is text.
You could exit Firefox, move those files elsewhere, and force Firefox to
start from scratch to save passwords.

Paul already mention the possibility you are using a password manager
(i.e., LastPass, Bitwarden, KeePass, etc). Those could usurp the
password management function of Firefox. Disable all extensions, and
retry getting a prompt to save a [new] password for a site. Resetting
(refreshing) Firefox to create a new profile will also eliminate
interference from add-ons: a new profile is devoid of all add-ons,
resets to default settings, and all tweaks in about:config are gone.

Hint: Dave doesn't want your login data (see your last sentence). ;->

Re: Firefox And Passwords

<tlj1pl$1o01$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5415&group=alt.windows7.general#5415

From: Min...@AIOENEWSGROUP.COM (Minnie)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:44:21 -0800
 by: Minnie - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 17:44 UTC

This happens at all sites I have tried so far, no way to save password.
Amazon for one.

The display is HDMI (using video only). The display has no speakers.
Using the stereo mini plug jack in the back of the PC to the speakers.
Display is IPS LENOVO.

Additionally I found this interesting anomaly.
I arrange my desktop as desired.
I jeep the PC running.
I turn off the display only.
I come back turn on the display and find my desktop has changed,
Some windows are moved to the upper left of the desktop and some are
just move to the left about half way across the screen.

What is this ?

This is a dual boot desktop so next, later today I will boot up into Win
XP Pro and see if everyting I have seen so far also happens there,

Minnie wrote:
> Win 7 Pro
> Firefox 107
>
> Privacy and Security
> Logins and Passwords
> [v] Ask to save logins and passwords for websites
> all sub [v] are checked.
>
> No primary password.
>

> It does NOT work.
> Signed in at several websites that I have done on a different Win 7 Pro
> PCs and all ask to save.
>
> This PC Firefox does not. no little window opens with data to dave.
>

> What is up ?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Firefox And Passwords

<tlj4dj$4oe9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5416&group=alt.windows7.general#5416

From: inva...@invalid.net (SPAM COP)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 19:10:17 +0000
 by: SPAM COP - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 19:10 UTC

YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND THIS BUT YOUR SPAM TO START A WAR IN THIS WORLD
IS NOT WANTED. JUST GO AND FUCK OFF FROM HERE.

FUCK OFF
FUCK OFF
FUCK OFF
FUCK OFF