From: no.spam....@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Mageia and RX 6500XT
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:11:49 -0800
 by: red floyd - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 22:11 UTC

Hi everyone,

So, I've got a new graphics card (Radeon RX 6500XT), and I'm trying to
install Mageia 8. Unfortunately, it seems this card is not supported --
I have to use fbdev. If I try amdgpu I just get a black screen on boot.

A quick search seems to indicate that this card isn't supported until
kernel 5.15, but when I booted into text mode and did an urpmi update,
I got 5.15, but it still doesn't like the video card.

Anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to run Cauldron
if I can avoid it, especially since it's just at alpha-1 state.

Thanks,

red floyd

Gigabyte Aorus Pro
Ryzen 5 5600X
64GB DDR4
ASRock RX 6500XT

Re: Mageia and RX 6500XT

<op.1yffoleea3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5393&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5393

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Mageia and RX 6500XT
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 19:30:11 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 00:30 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 17:11:49 -0500, red floyd <no.spam.here@its.invalid> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> So, I've got a new graphics card (Radeon RX 6500XT), and I'm trying to
> install Mageia 8. Unfortunately, it seems this card is not supported --
> I have to use fbdev. If I try amdgpu I just get a black screen on boot.
>
> A quick search seems to indicate that this card isn't supported until
> kernel 5.15, but when I booted into text mode and did an urpmi update,
> I got 5.15, but it still doesn't like the video card.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to run Cauldron
> if I can avoid it, especially since it's just at alpha-1 state.
>
> Thanks,
>
> red floyd
>
> Gigabyte Aorus Pro
> Ryzen 5 5600X
> 64GB DDR4
> ASRock RX 6500XT

I find no mention of "6500XT" in any of the Mageia mailing lists I'm subscribed
to, so it's unlikely anyone else using Mageia has one.

Probably best to open a bug report and as well as the above info include the
output (as root) of "lspcidrake -v|grep Card".

The bug report will get assigned to the kernel and drivers team, who may be able
to find a workaround using kernel options, etc.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Mageia and RX 6500XT

<slrntrlcqq.738.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5397&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5397

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 06:13:12 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 12:13 UTC

On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:11:49 -0800, red floyd wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> So, I've got a new graphics card (Radeon RX 6500XT), and I'm trying to
> install Mageia 8. Unfortunately, it seems this card is not supported --
> I have to use fbdev. If I try amdgpu I just get a black screen on boot.
>
> A quick search seems to indicate that this card isn't supported until
> kernel 5.15, but when I booted into text mode and did an urpmi update,
> I got 5.15,

Hope it was
$ uname -r
5.15.82-desktop-1.mga8
If you might supply that info if you do open a bug report.

> but it still doesn't like the video card.

> Anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to run Cauldron
> if I can avoid it, especially since it's just at alpha-1 state.

Well technically it is beta.

I have been running Cauldron for about two weeks, and nothing major
found broken for me.

I suggest maybe doing a multi-boot install if you have the extra space
and do a clean install. That way you can switch between Cauldron and Mageia 8.

Just do no share /home between installs.

Re: Mageia and RX 6500XT

<trumm0$3tt37$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5435&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5435

From: no.spam....@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 15:25:51 -0800
 by: red floyd - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:25 UTC

On 1/8/2023 4:13 AM, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:11:49 -0800, red floyd wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> So, I've got a new graphics card (Radeon RX 6500XT), and I'm trying to
>> install Mageia 8. Unfortunately, it seems this card is not supported --
>> I have to use fbdev. If I try amdgpu I just get a black screen on boot.
>>
>> A quick search seems to indicate that this card isn't supported until
>> kernel 5.15, but when I booted into text mode and did an urpmi update,
>> I got 5.15,
>
> Hope it was
> $ uname -r
> 5.15.82-desktop-1.mga8
> If you might supply that info if you do open a bug report.
>

>> but it still doesn't like the video card.
>
>> Anyone got any suggestions? I really don't want to run Cauldron
>> if I can avoid it, especially since it's just at alpha-1 state.
>

> Well technically it is beta.
>
> I have been running Cauldron for about two weeks, and nothing major
> found broken for me.
>
> I suggest maybe doing a multi-boot install if you have the extra space
> and do a clean install. That way you can switch between Cauldron and Mageia 8.
>
> Just do no share /home between installs.

Using nomodeset fixed some of the issues, but I was getting IPTables
issues at boot time as well (may be the Ethernet card -- Realtek 2.5Gb
controller).

Decided to try Mageia 9 (whatever the latest alpha/beta/rc is) and it
works.